PDA

View Full Version : BBC TV Show -- Danny Baker's Greatest Album Showdown

test

jsmith
02-08-2013, 04:53 AM
The BBC has made a number of TV progs under the above name [[they go out here on BBC digital channel BBC4.
Anyway, TV presenter [[& ex DJ) Danny Baker addresses a particular genre of music & has 3 studio guests to chat to. Each is allowed to select 3 LP's as their faves [[Danny gets 4 to make up a full BAKERS dozen ... i.e. 13 in all).
His theme last nite was R&B albums and his 3 guests were a DJ [[Trevor Nelson) , a singer [[Mica Paris) & a [[white Brit) actor.
They played loads of tracks, discussed soul [[sorry R&B), chatted about what it meant to them & then at the end put up there selections.
..... THEY PICKED THESE LP's ...........
Bill Withers Live @ Carnegie Hall
Stevie Wonder - Music of My Mind
Millie Jackson - Still Caught Up
Stevie Wonder- Songs in the Key of Life
Curtis M -- Superfly
Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
Marvin - Whats Going On
Barry White - Stone Gon
Prince - Sign of the Times
Aretha - Lady Soul
Donny Hathaway - Everything Is Everything
Miracles - Make It Happen
Al Green - Call Me

Thought it might be fun for SDFers to list whch 3 LP's they would have nominated if they had been invited onto the show ............
.... I'll make a start with my 4 !! [[I'm assuming the role of Mr. Baker + can't get it down to 3 ) ..............
Sam Dees -- The Show Must Go On [[pure class in every way)
Impressions -- This Is My Country [[hard not to pick a solo CM LP over this, but this just shades it for me)
Marvin - What's Going On
Donny Hathaway - Everything Is Everything [[couldn't leave this out)

Can't believe I didn't select some other choices but left out fave albums such as Impressions Big 16 as that is just a compilation set of the best 60's Imps tracks. HOWEVER, it is an impossible task getting the choice down to just 3 [[I had to select a 4th to ensure Donny H was in there as well).

alanh
02-09-2013, 05:24 AM
I caught up with the show last night. I have to admit that initially I wasn't going to watch because I'm not particularly a fan of Danny Baker - but I enjoyed it and was pleasantly surprised at his knowledge of soul music. I especially enjoyed the show after it moved away from discussing what 'r&b' was and where it came from - the segment about the relevance of US black protest/political music to UK black people was fascinating. Anyway, my three for the Wall Of Fame would be:

What's Going On - Marvin Gaye
Aretha Arrives - Aretha Franklin
Round 2 - The Stylistics

theboyfromxtown
02-09-2013, 07:57 AM
Stevie Wonder - For Once In My Life
Four Tops - Second Album
Shorty Long - Here Comes The Judge

MotownSteve
02-09-2013, 10:07 AM
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
Four Tops - Still Waters
Temptations - In A Mellow Mood

soulwally
02-09-2013, 10:08 AM
Danny Baker's presence put me off watching, I'm afraid.

What's Going On - Marvin
The Ice Man Cometh - Jerry Butler
With A Lot O Soul - Temptations

jsmith
02-10-2013, 03:28 AM
STRANGE !?!?!? ..... SDF people seem to favor Motown albums ...
....... who'd have thought that.

mr soul
02-10-2013, 11:23 AM
I never saw it either, however as I agree with most of the choices already made, there is no point in repeating them, had I got first dibs Sam Dees would definitely been one. So here goes:

Don't Burn Me - Paul Kelly [why this brilliant album has never gained a CD release is beyond me, sheer soul perfection from beginning to end]

The Young Mods Forgotten Story - Impressions [from the Fabulous Impressions through to his solo album Roots I think Curtis hit a purple patch & produced a lot of his best work, I enjoyed all the albums from this period immensely, however "Mods" just shades it.]

The Great Otis Redding Sings Soul Ballads [This was the first great album I heard. every track a gem and the yardstick I use to determine my choices, almost 50 years later it still makes my liver quiver.]

One For The Road - Greg Perry [like the Sam Dees album this one has a cult following, I was lucky enough to come across a copy on it's release in 1975 & I have loved it ever since.]

Bubbling under

What Is Soul - Ben E King, The First Time We Met - Independents, Ice On Ice - Jerry Butler

Kamasu_Jr
02-10-2013, 02:37 PM
THAT'S TOO DIFFICULT A QUESTION FOR me to ponder. So I'm not going to even try answering because I can't. I like way too many things.

keith_h
02-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Here's a link to the show, but there's only about 3 days left to view it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01qlcss/Danny_Bakers_Great_Album_Showdown_File_under_RandB/

bobkayli
02-12-2013, 05:43 AM
Otis Redding: Otis Blue: Otis Redding Sings Soul
Four Tops: hard to choose between their first Motown album, the first greatest hits compilation and Still Waters, but will opt for Still Waters
The Soulful Moods of Marvin Gaye

But then there's the Temptations Sing Smokey, I Wish It Would Rain, Don Covay Mercy Mercy, Sam Cooke Night Time, the more I think, the more come to mind.

I'll stay with my first three but there are so many to choose from.

soulwally
02-13-2013, 09:11 AM
The Moods of Marvin Gaye was my fourth choice, bob.

alanh
02-13-2013, 01:08 PM
The show's being repeated on BBC 4 tonight at 11.30 if anyone wants to catch up with it on TV [[as opposed to online!)