PDA

View Full Version : Hype – Motown the Musical so it can be loved

test

mirage
02-07-2013, 08:08 AM
Motown the Musical ... is at best simply a string of great timeless Motown hits sung by less than stellar Motown impersonators. It is incoherent. There is no plot ... no beginning ... no end ... peppered with pathetic clichés that have been used so often that they are simply commercialized sound-bites for instant failure.

Why does Berry continue to change, relocate and improvise Motown history and its re-birthing cities? A Broadway musical needs two things: substance and songs. Otherwise it becomes just a music catalogue being sung on a stage. High school kids could put on the same costumed performance for their parents.

The best book I have read on Motown is Hype & Soul ... Behind the Scenes At Motown ... the stories are poignant, funny and gives Motown a history without being malicious. It showcases the trials and tribulations that Motown and Gordy faced in those early years. And it provides back up documentation and a gallery of photos.

Good reading …never saw a bad book review posted. And the stories this guy doesn’t vent in Hype gives it clever honesty without injecting the proverbial BB grudges, gossip and mean boy/girl street dirt.

The guy knows Berry well; knows Motown material as an insider; has an archive named after him; and knows how to write. According to his book, he would most likely do it for “$15 and chili” … “reach out” to him – that is a thought. The musical would have one heck of a storyline. Poignant; funny; and sincere.

Saw the nice link that I think Woodward or Methuselah 2 posted. Guy did an interview with Suzi Quatro on BBC. BB and most Motowners and fans would find it refreshing. It was well done.

Motown the Musical … with a coherent and creative story line and a plot in three-four weeks – it would be a “miracle”.

Contact this guy privately. Anyone got his contact info might want to pass it directly to BB or his “not so smart” handlers. Ask him to rewrite the script for a few pounds. Put BB’s name on the script as part of the deal. According to his bio this guy wrote a lot of books; is a former journalist and probably has the ability to birth a Motown script in "record" time.

Put pride aside; get out the “chili” checkbook; have the guy sign a confidentiality clause; and have a happy NYC Motown ending to what is fast becoming a Broadway Chrysler car going off-road at record speed.

Couple of other good Motown books on my shelf … but if I invested millions in a Broadway musical … I’d want a former insider who seems like a decent guy to dig deep and give it a twist and a tuneup. Let the Broadway critics revise their reviews April 14.

motony
02-07-2013, 10:28 AM
having Al Abrams input would be a good thing!

woodward
02-07-2013, 12:50 PM
I agree with you Mirage. And Al Abrams already has had success with a musical play about Motown. His "Memories of Motown" was the only Motown play to mark Motown's 50th anniversary and it too never got a bad review when it played in Berlin for a month in 2009 with a cast that included some real Motown stars. Plus he's still very much on top of his game -- getting great praise in reviews for his essay for the CD by Bobby Brooks Wilson -- Jackie's son.

R. Mark Desjardins
02-07-2013, 02:50 PM
Mirage;
I couldn't agree with you more. Thank you stating so plainly what has been on my mind as well. I too have over the years tried to read every book on the Tamla/Motown label and found that bar none, Al Abrams hit the nail on the head. Thank you for sounding the alarm. Hopefully the right ears will hear and respond accordingly!

skooldem1
02-07-2013, 03:07 PM
I don't know how anyone can comment on the play when it hasn't even opened yet.

ralpht
02-07-2013, 03:49 PM
Very good point, Skool. Lets give this a little time.

jobeterob
02-07-2013, 06:41 PM
What a shame if insiders and fans would like to see something like this fail. If it does, it's a loss to us all; it will mean no bump in royalties, bookings, publicity. I can't see how a real fan would want such a thing

marv2
02-07-2013, 08:09 PM
They need to fly Al to New York pronto and get him to work on the script! That is a brilliant idea!

jsmith
02-08-2013, 05:11 AM
I'll reserve judgement on whether the show tells a good story as well as featuring great music ........... seems a few here are truly 'jumping the gun'.

mirage
02-08-2013, 11:37 AM
Getting Ready for a BIG Hit of Broadway Snow …

As far as royalties from publishing, sales and spinning Motown back from where it has been for fifty plus years … as Ralph, the Web moderator, now laments about various posts, “Don’t go there.”

The failure of the Motown musical would not be the fault of naysayers as these individuals can’t simply conjure up a million dollar Broadway flop. Most posters on this site love Motown, even if their opinions and stories differ about Motown and its inside trading. And Motown history is not controlled by one man; only his spin on its history using his “viewpoint” is controllable.

But with all due respect, a CEO with business acumen listens to his critics with an open mind. He then calculates and manipulates all the risk involved to solidify a suitable and workable solution to produce a winner.
I
f Motown the Musical crashes its Chrysler driven automobile with Sony and UMG executives into a wall of poor critic reviews and an alleged $12 million dollar fiscal hell accompanied by unhappy fans, you’ll only find those answers from the man himself. And of course, as all stories go … the blame game for failure is shifted to the individuals he selected and trusted.

The Broadway Box Office is prickly business.

As a poster, who has opinions and suggestions … use them … lose them … IDC! Not my vested penny.

But don’t ever blame failure of this project on Motown fans and critics for wanting more from BB’s confusing Motown story than mundane video clips where the out-of-the-can dialogue is straight from a Saturday Night spoof and where the Diana-Berry “Love Story” never ended with a Band of Gold.

Maybe I’m missing the intent of this NYC Motown story … is it a comedy?

smark21
02-08-2013, 06:17 PM
Well despite Reidel’s article in the Post, bear in mind Motown the Musical is still in rehearsals and has not yet started preview performers, so it is a little premature to call it a flop.

mirage
02-10-2013, 05:16 PM
Having a difficult time following your “flop” post it note … who are the individuals prematurely “flopping” Motown: The Musical?

The musical has access to Universal’s powerhouse music catalogue; Sony funding; a Chrysler car; and quite possibly, the second-tier Steinway that is MIA.

Perhaps, BB’s Motown handlers should be blamed for prematurely allowing Motown fans and critics to view a video with dialogue and a musical performance that would have sunk the Titanic even if it had been retrofitted to hit an iceberg.

This high school grade video clip coupled with what is best described as a Motown condensed and confusing plot of nothingness based upon a love story that has more twists and turns than a San Francisco streetscape … makes BB look rather foolish in his selection of handlers and “Writing Consultants”. No one knows Motown better than a BB insider. Most Motown fans agree with this perspective. You write it; as you lived it. This is the missing Broadway plot.

Motown: The Musical is adrift at sea. Shifting blame for failure on to the musical’s cast, crew, loyal fans and critics is a normal pattern of behavior in the entertainment biz. Executives involved in this project have already started two Broadway Playbill PR advance notices.

If BB’s Motown show is a flop … the fans/critics caused its demise. If Motown succeeds, the music catalogue was strong enough to bypass the weak story and carry the show.

Only a strong-willed and courageous captain is able to change the course of his ship before it hits an iceberg. Get a Motown BB inside the loop – been there – did that with you and BB will have another “Hit”.

I might even spend a few shiny pennies and buy some tickets to donate to a charitable raffle for homeless or displaced families. This is simply a viewpoint; not a mandate.

Roberta75
02-10-2013, 07:04 PM
I might even spend a few shiny pennies and buy some tickets to donate to a charitable raffle for homeless or displaced families. This is simply a viewpoint; not a mandate.

Oh you are real kind. The homeless will sure appreciate your generosity. Maybe Mr Gordy will double what you raise as hes a real kind and real generous man.

God will bless you for this Marage.

Roberta