PDA

View Full Version : Hearts Of Stone

test

positivesoul
10-01-2010, 12:51 AM
Wondering if anyone knows the full rundown on this group, especially the personnel on their album? LOVED the album, wish it were on CD. A few of the songs are on YouTube, including the Philly hit "It's A Lonesome Road"... actually made it to #1 on WDAS. Too bad "One Day" isn't online. Great midtempo ballad with great vocals. Gotta hookup one of my turntables one day. Really miss hearing that tune and the whole album. Was it big anywhere else? Pity they weren't promoted properly nationally. Energetic soulful sound.

big_mac
10-01-2010, 04:46 AM
Good news for you, the album is available on CD. Japanese release "Celeste CYMR 6178". Currently available from Amazon [[UK) at a price of £30.00, listed as in-stock. Hope I have brightened up your day!

johnny_raven
10-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Dusty Groove has it much cheaper ... $23.99US

http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=rbxj8kbdw4&ref=browse.php&refQ=kwfilter%3Dhearts%2Bof%2Bstone%26amp%3Bincl_o os%3D1%26amp%3Bincl_cs%3D1

Their post-Motown CD "Coming Out" [[by Floyd Lawson & The Hearts Of Stone) is also available on CD ... Dusty Groove did carry it at one time, but I can't locate a link to the CD version right now.

positivesoul
10-04-2010, 03:00 PM
bmac... the info is greatly appreciated! Honestly a bit rich for my blood sugar [[lol), but great to know it's out there!

jrave... just what the soul doc ordered, and the price is good for the blood sugar and the blood pressure!!!

positivesoul
10-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Still curious since I never see references to them. Did the Hearts of Stones make any noise in cities outside of Philly? Does anybody else know their music?

hambonefunk
03-19-2011, 02:10 AM
Originally known as the Four Pennies they recorded such tunes as "your a gas with your trash" before hooking up with Hank Cosby. Group members were John Myers, Carl Cutler, Herman Griffin, and Floyd Lawson. While Cutler off and on works with his own group, other members John Myers and Floyd Lawson co-wrote a recently issued single entitled "I aint going no where" which can be found on YouTube.

robb_k
03-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Was that THE Cincinnati/Detroit Herman Griffin: ex-Motown artist/ex-husband of Mary Wells?

motownjohnny
03-19-2011, 05:09 PM
The line up seems a tad confusing, as according to Vol 10 of the "Complete Motown Singles" set, the Hearts of Stone comprised of John Myers of the Five Pennies, along with Floyd Lawson, Rudolph Hill, Clemmons Daniels and Lindsey Griffin from The Larks. Apparently Clemmons Daniels eventually dropped out and was replaced by Carl Cutler. It would therefore seem that there were five members in the group, yet the photo on both the album and CD shows only four.

I think that the reference to Herman Griffin is a confusion with Lindsey Griffin and as far as I can tell there is no connection with Herman Griffin and the Hearts of Stone.

MIKEW-UK
03-19-2011, 06:23 PM
http://www.myspace.com/brotherjohnmyers

John Myers' facebook with details of Hearts Of Stone personnel on Motown album, and prior history of Five Pennies line up.

hambonefunk
03-21-2011, 03:12 PM
My mistake, Lindsey Griffin, not Herman.

tomato tom
03-23-2011, 05:16 PM
The Book Motown the Golden Years, has a page on them, complete with photos, and a photo of the album Stop The World We Wanna Get On..Paulo. xxxxx

paul_nixon
03-25-2011, 04:49 AM
I's like to see and expanded CD release of this album, I know the Japanes did a straight re-issue but boy it would great to get some of the vaulted tracks