PDA

View Full Version : Bloodstone - Natural High, help please.

test

Amithesameboy
02-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Who sang the lead vocals on this great record ? I think it may well have been Charles McCormick but I am not 100% sure. Could it have been Harry Williams ? Or someone else ?

MIKEW-UK
02-06-2013, 02:37 PM
Coincidentally, I am seeing Bloodstone in San Jose this coming Friday.... along with The Originals, [[ Hank Dixon, Dillon Gorman, Terrie Dixon, Defrantz Forrest), Zapp, GQ, Peaches and Herb, Heatwave, The Fuzz, Eddie Holman and the great Barbara Lewis!!!!!!!

Taken from a review on Amazon by soulful Annie, perhaps this is the answer?

Bloodstone [[Willis Draffen Jr., Charles McCormick, Charles Love, and Harry Williams) combines all the elements required of ideal Soul Music: Heartfelt lyrics, sweet harmonies, smooth rhythms, and soaring lead vocals with super-human crescendo falsettos."Natural High" , from 1972, was penned by the talented McCormick [[who also sings lead), and was the group's biggest hit. But here in the Bay Area, the deeper tunes like "Never Let You Go" and "Outside Woman" are still widely recognized some 30 years after their debut. And if you're new to Bloodstone, don't let sample clips of these two songs fool you--this is some serious Soul Music. On "Never Let You Go", lead singer Harry Williams starts out sweetly enough, but gradually builds to an extraordinarily powerful falsetto that will startle and transform the casual listener. There are times during this tune when that 70's over-instrumentation threatens to dominate, but Harry's incredible voice breaks right through to an emotionally climactic finish. Harry is arguably one of THE most powerful male voices to EVER record in the genre of Soul Music. More specifically, there are few shouters who could keep it up while singing in the higher registers. Harry is simply supurb.
This Rhino issue remains my favorite of the CD choices, primarily due to the inclusion of the aforementioned essentials together with "Little Linda", the sweet "Give Me Your Heart", and that retro vocal beauty "We Go A Long Way Back" [[from 1982.) Sadly missing is the overlooked gem "Something's Missing" [[from the 1974 LP "Riddle Of The Spinx"; and "Go On And Cry", a perennial favorite. Clearly, Bloodstone are masters at slow jams & ballads and I'd like to see a CD collection dedicated strictly to their slower grooves.
Meanwhile, sit down for a little soulful meditation with Bloodstone. Turn up the volume and enjoy. 100% pure. No additives or artificial stimulants. Truly a Natural High.

Cheers Mike

alanh
02-07-2013, 06:15 AM
I remember seeing Bloodstone 'before they were famous' when they were brought on as a surprise act at the start of the second half of the first Blues & Soul Magazine concert in London in 1972. It was one of those mega line ups...we'd already had Rufus Thomas, Philip Mitchell and others in the fist half and were waiting for Al Green as headliner. But Bloodstone virtually stole the night, then got signed to Decca, recorded Natural High and the rest is history.

Amithesameboy
02-07-2013, 08:30 AM
Thank you very much for replies...

mr_june
02-07-2013, 11:25 AM
[QUOTE=MIKEW-UK;144945]Coincidentally, I am seeing Bloodstone in San Jose this coming Friday.... along with The Originals, [[ Hank Dixon, Dillon Gorman, Terrie Dixon, Defrantz Forrest), Zapp, GQ, Peaches and Herb, Heatwave, The Fuzz, Eddie Holman and the great Barbara Lewis!!!!!!!

Mike I noticed the Fuzz in that line-up. Is that the same group that made "I Love You For All Seasons?" I'd sure like to hear a review of their performance as well as everyone else.

Also while we're on the subject of Bloodstone. Who sang lead on "You Know We've Learned" and another album cut "What Did You Do To Me"? Also which member of the group died? I asked this question before but never received an answer.

Amithesameboy
02-07-2013, 11:52 AM
Roger Durham was the member who died. I dont know for sure who sang on the cuts you mention, but given they were both written by Willis Draffen, I think it is reasonably likely it is him.

MIKEW-UK
02-08-2013, 02:26 AM
alanh, I was at the same show in the front row! Bloodstone were completely unknown in the UK, and were given a slot as an introductory opportunity. I remember the initial disappointment when they came on, only for them to triumph and really rouse the audience. But I will never forget Al Green coming on, just as "Tired Of Being Alone" had pushed him into emerging star status, guitar strapped across his back, long blue/ grey greatcoat, red shirt with enormous collar, and suffering from the flu - and delivered a sensational performance.

mr-june, I bought The Fuzz album when it came out and am familiar with the material, so I will happily give a review of their performance. I hope I can capture some screen shots as I have a great seat.

I have to confess that I am particularly looking forward to Zapp as it has been too long since I last saw them live, when they still had Roger.

cheers Mike

jsmith
02-08-2013, 05:07 AM
Just about all of Bloodstone's UK recording work was done in an old building in a town called Chipping Norton [[Nth Oxfordshire -- not too far from where I live).
The studio was finally shut down & all the equipment ripped out 15+ years back. Lots of stuff from the place was just thrown in skips & taken to the dump.
I worked with a 'skip diver' back then who would salvage what he thought of value to prevent it going off to the dump.
He picked up numerous acetates that had been thrown into skips outside the studio ... but this was around 20 years after Bloodstone had used the place. I still would have liked to go through what he had 'rescued' though in case one of the acetates had featured a track by Bloodstone.

nathanj06
02-08-2013, 07:40 AM
According to this it was Charles McCormick. You were correct. It took forever to find an answer for this. All the reviews never mentioned who until I found this one.

http://petersonandeldridge.com/3301/33317.html

mr_june
02-08-2013, 01:52 PM
Thanks Mike and Sameboy.