PDA

View Full Version : The Originals on DVD

test

jaybs
02-05-2013, 02:09 PM
It never fails to baffle me why Motown choose to keep THE ORIGINALS such a secret to so many, I'm just glad that I found them early on.

I have had to buy many of the collection & best of CD's to keep getting more tracks, I'm so looking forward to another album release with the "Down to Love Town" CD just a little disappointed it seem to keep getting delayed? now set for later this year? Obtaining such as The Originals "Baby I'm for Real" CD is so difficult, I just wish Harry Weinger would give it some thought to have some releases of The Originals and not just leave it to such as Reel!

It is difficult to find any footage of The Originals I know they are featured on one Soul Train DVD but there is video footage of them from what looks like a PBS Soul Concert, has anyone idea if it is featured on any DVD?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe9tcujDKSY

snakepit
02-05-2013, 02:30 PM
Totally agree, the Originals really should have their albums issued, perhaps in a similar fashion of the 2fers on Smokey Robinson.

carole cucumber
02-05-2013, 02:43 PM
Recorded live on November 26, 2002 at The Benedum Center For the Performing Arts, Pittsburgh , PA. and shown on PBS.
The performance is available on"More Rhythm, Love and Soul" [[Shout DVD RK9 39990)

theboyfromxtown
02-05-2013, 03:23 PM
And not available in the UK.

That says it all!

carole cucumber
02-05-2013, 03:39 PM
http://www.amazon.com/More-Rhythm-Love-Soul-Performed/dp/B0006OG53Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1360093081&sr=1-1&keywords=More+rhythm+love+and+soul

Roger Polhill
02-05-2013, 03:45 PM
There is an "Upbeat!" appearance on which they perform "Baby I`m For Real" The quality isn`t the best but better than nothing.

theboyfromxtown
02-05-2013, 04:57 PM
As I said above, its not on Amazon.uk and thus when I try to order, it says THE SELLER DOES NOT SHIP TO THE UK.

If you know a way round it, please let me know

carole cucumber
02-05-2013, 05:04 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0006OG53Q/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

I'm obviously missing something here. Several of these sellers indicate that they ship internationally. Why can't you order from Amazon U.S.?

soulwally
02-05-2013, 05:21 PM
I've watched this clip over and over again since I first saw it a few years ago. They treat their best-known song with such reverence. It's just a pity CP wasn't able to sing his parts, but Terrie Dixon is a more than able replacement.
Something I'd missed, when looking up wikipedia to find CP's death date, was Walter Gaines's death, in January of last year. On this clip he doesn't look well [[although it's 10 years before his death), but sings beautifully.
I've trawled youtube for Originals clips, but to my knowledge all there are are 2 clips of Baby I'm For Real [[one from Soul Train), the PBS performance, and a clip from two or three years when Hank and Terrie are joined by [[I think) freddie's son and [[I think) Gene Chandler's son at an outdoor performance.

theboyfromxtown
02-05-2013, 07:50 PM
When I try to pay...it says wont ship to the UK. If I'm doing something wrong, then I wish someone would tell me what. Once I select my UK address, I get problems.

Thanks for helping though, much appreciated

theboyfromxtown
02-05-2013, 07:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO44LCKJieg

The Bells - The Originals.

Soulwally, Freddie's son Dillon has his birthday today. What a co-incidence!

nabob
02-05-2013, 09:52 PM
As I said above, its not on Amazon.uk and thus when I try to order, it says THE SELLER DOES NOT SHIP TO THE UK.

If you know a way round it, please let me knowCD Wow has the DVD on their site. The price is listed in GB Pounds. Be forewarned that they ship from Hong Kong and the wait for orders can be weeks and weeks in length.

http://www.wowhd.co.uk/search?q=More+Rhythm%2C+Love+and+Soul&t=all

The format is NTSC [US] and not PAL [rest of the world]. Better have a multi-region player before making the investment. Good Luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_hfEcTON4Y
The link for The Bells above is blocked in the US, but this one seems to work.

calvin
02-05-2013, 11:12 PM
When I try to pay...it says wont ship to the UK. If I'm doing something wrong, then I wish someone would tell me what. Once I select my UK address, I get problems.

Thanks for helping though, much appreciated

The first seller there just lists "Domestic Shipping Rates", so Amazon will prevent the order if you give a foreign shipping address. Other sellers list "International and Domestic shipping rates", Amazon should allow you to order from those sellers [[though they are a bit more expensive).

On a couple of occasions I had the same problem and I just emailed the seller, telling them I wanted to purchase their product but was blocked because they had set it up for domestic shipping only. They changed this for me, allowing international shipping so I could place my order with them.

As nabob notes, be aware that the product is listed as Region 1 and NTSC!

marv2
02-05-2013, 11:22 PM
I've watched this clip over and over again since I first saw it a few years ago. They treat their best-known song with such reverence. It's just a pity CP wasn't able to sing his parts, but Terrie Dixon is a more than able replacement.
Something I'd missed, when looking up wikipedia to find CP's death date, was Walter Gaines's death, in January of last year. On this clip he doesn't look well [[although it's 10 years before his death), but sings beautifully.
I've trawled youtube for Originals clips, but to my knowledge all there are are 2 clips of Baby I'm For Real [[one from Soul Train), the PBS performance, and a clip from two or three years when Hank and Terrie are joined by [[I think) freddie's son and [[I think) Gene Chandler's son at an outdoor performance.

Here they are on "Upbeat" a show that was out of Cleveland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNqd74TH9nY

theboyfromxtown
02-06-2013, 01:32 AM
Thank you fellas!

I'd rather not buy from Hong Kong....I've been cheated in the past.

The other idea to write to the seller is a good one and I'll try that. And that reminds me, there are a lot of ebay sellers who promote their stuff on ebay.co.uk, but then state they only ship to the USA. What's that all about!!

jaybs
02-06-2013, 06:49 AM
Thanks for all the help means so much! just ordered from the second seller who does international, nearly had an heart attack with postage $35 but then noticed Amazon had set to dearer express option, so I settled for $9 which is still a lot.

soulwally
02-06-2013, 09:06 AM
Ahh, I'd forgotten The Bells clip, John. Here's a nice version of Baby I'm For Real [[audio only), presumably from 1982

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lOT26qIm-U&playnext=1&list=PL5F2EF1C1894481D1&feature=results_video

mysterysinger
02-06-2013, 09:26 AM
Ok - I'll show my ignorance and ask who the lady is singing on "Baby I'm For Real"?

I share everyone's frustrations re the lack of available material on The Originals. The "Essential Collection" CD that came out a few years ago was simply great though it missed off "Green Grow The Lilacs" [[yes I love that). "The Only Time That You Love Me" is a real fave.

I have a spare copy of the MOTD CD "Baby I'm For Real" which I would gladly swap for the "Portrait Of" or "Naturally Together" CDs [[or huge sums of money). UK exchangee preferred.

soulwally
02-06-2013, 10:24 AM
Mysterysinger: It's Terrie Dixon, Hank Dixon's daughter.

theboyfromxtown
02-06-2013, 10:42 AM
souwally ....was you at Manchester when they performed what was surely the most emotional concert for me, ever

soulwally
02-06-2013, 11:23 AM
No. That was at Richard Searling's birthday do, I presume. I'm only a half-hour's train journey from Manchester and really should have tried to go.
I remember reading a review of the show in one of the soul mags, and was pretty surprised to read that many of the audience gasped when they heard Hank's voice. It was as if they presumed Freddie Gorman, as the best known of the group, provided that incredible lead. Having said that, I had Blues and Soul magazines with pictures of the Originals in, but didn't know who was who between Hank and Walter until into the Eighties.

calvin
02-06-2013, 11:34 AM
I share everyone's frustrations re the lack of available material on The Originals. The "Essential Collection" CD that came out a few years ago was simply great though it missed off "Green Grow The Lilacs" [[yes I love that). "The Only Time That You Love Me" is a real fave.

I have a spare copy of the MOTD CD "Baby I'm For Real" which I would gladly swap for the "Portrait Of" or "Naturally Together" CDs [[or huge sums of money). UK exchangee preferred.

I agree, as with Jr Walker & The All Stars, The Originals have been neglected in the CD age. I'm not aware that "Naturally Together" was ever released on cd, just Baby, I'm For Real, Portrait of the Originals, and California Sunset in 2011 from BBR. I think that leaves Naturally Together, Def.I.Ni.Tions, Game Called Love, Communique, and Down To Love Town as the [[Soul/Motown) titles not yet on cd. [[But maybe some of those have been on CD and I just missed them?)

Maybe Hip-O could do the first 4 LPs [[Baby to Def.I.Ni.Tions) plus some bonus material as a 2- or 3-cd set? And BBR could release the rest of the mid-70s titles? I promise I would buy them all!

theboyfromxtown
02-06-2013, 11:48 AM
No. That was at Richard Searling's birthday do, I presume. I'm only a half-hour's train journey from Manchester and really should have tried to go.
I remember reading a review of the show in one of the soul mags, and was pretty surprised to read that many of the audience gasped when they heard Hank's voice. It was as if they presumed Freddie Gorman, as the best known of the group, provided that incredible lead. Having said that, I had Blues and Soul magazines with pictures of the Originals in, but didn't know who was who between Hank and Walter until into the Eighties.

That was the concert. It was an incredible concert. I've never been to one like it since. When Hank started to sing, the roar from the crowd almost took the roof off. It still brings a lump to my throat thinking of it now. I suspect that there were pure Originals fans there that night which made it extra special. CP Spencer was not performing by then, Terrie took his leads.

I got all their autographs....that pleased me.

jaybs
02-06-2013, 12:43 PM
I never managed to get to see the Guy's live, just listened to the clip on you tube that soulwally posted, of course it is superb with Hank's vocal, but not totally convinced with they way they tried to update it, still love it though first time for hearing, how did I ever miss that!

Just managed to obtain a copy of the "Baby I'm for Real" CD this morning, now if I win the lottery I have got to have "Portrait of The Originals" wonder how many are around?

johnny_raven
02-06-2013, 01:23 PM
I saw them in Vegas in 1998 ... C.P., Walter, Hank & Freddie. I had dinner at the table next to them after the show. It's sad to think that all but one are gone.

MIKEW-UK
02-06-2013, 02:41 PM
Seeing them Friday night in San Jose.....The Originals, [[ Hank Dixon, Dillon Gorman, Terrie Dixon, Defrantz Forrest). I'll let you know how they are in this format....

Kamasu_Jr
02-06-2013, 07:16 PM
There is an "Upbeat!" appearance on which they perform "Baby I`m For Real" The quality isn`t the best but better than nothing.

I've seen that upbeat performance. It's okay. I forgot about their appearance on Soul Train.

theboyfromxtown
02-06-2013, 07:33 PM
Seeing them Friday night in San Jose.....The Originals, [[ Hank Dixon, Dillon Gorman, Terrie Dixon, Defrantz Forrest). I'll let you know how they are in his format....

Mike.

Dillon is a facebook friend. Can you tell him he needs to get over to the UK to perform for us. We've not seen the Originals for a long time now

MIKEW-UK
02-06-2013, 08:16 PM
I'll do my best :cool:

jaybs
02-09-2013, 06:11 AM
Full Respect to Harry Weinger he got back to me on The Originals & the possible release of some amazing albums Motown released and he said "I am looking at it" Fingers crossed!

Currently I can't stop playing the "Naturally Yourself" 1970 album, some of the tracks on that the lead vocals have tears of Joy in my eyes!

soulwally
02-09-2013, 10:11 AM
Naturally Together, Jay. Some excellent, some just OK on that album for me.

Ryon6
02-09-2013, 01:44 PM
I agree, as with Jr Walker & The All Stars, The Originals have been neglected in the CD age. I'm not aware that "Naturally Together" was ever released on cd, just Baby, I'm For Real, Portrait of the Originals, and California Sunset in 2011 from BBR. I think that leaves Naturally Together, Def.I.Ni.Tions, Game Called Love, Communique, and Down To Love Town as the [[Soul/Motown) titles not yet on cd. [[But maybe some of those have been on CD and I just missed them?)

Maybe Hip-O could do the first 4 LPs [[Baby to Def.I.Ni.Tions) plus some bonus material as a 2- or 3-cd set? And BBR could release the rest of the mid-70s titles? I promise I would buy them all!

I promise I'll purchase them all too. Love the Originals.

Tyrone

theboyfromxtown
02-09-2013, 02:26 PM
FORTHCOMING BBR CD RELEASE.
The Originals - Down To Love Town [[Motown, 1976)

Later this year...
From the forthcoming BBR expanded remaster of DOWN TO LOVE TOWN [[1976)

www.youtube.com

jaybs
02-09-2013, 03:19 PM
FORTHCOMING BBR CD RELEASE.
Later this year...

Looking forward to this one! it does keep getting delayed though, it was set for last year winter and this spring, now it is later this year!

I never heard many of the albums they released after Motown from 1976-1981 with Soul Essence Music, Fantasy & Polydor, also Ace released two for one CD Another Time Another Place and Come Back to Me album, from the time at Fantasy which was mainly disco!

snakepit
02-12-2013, 02:07 PM
let's hope Harry gets this project underway

jaybs
02-16-2013, 08:49 AM
My DVD arrived this morning, just Superb! not sure why so many USA music DVD's are recorded in Box 4.5? like the Simpson's on Channel 4, at least my Sony set will play it in smart screen.

The Originals are Amazing, just watching The Spinners, first of the five tracks they sang which is Tops is the Motown It's a Shame, perhaps the others are just too pop?

Surprised to see only thee Tavares? still the good sound, remember there first UK theatre tour, my mate was in charge of them at the UK arm of the record company what a tour that was.

Credit to the Orchestra & Brass Section as always on these Soul Concerts always such Quality!

MIKEW-UK
02-17-2013, 06:10 PM
from the Yesterday And Today Album.... a variation on Please Mr Postman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VKvXHPmsDc

tjl
02-18-2013, 12:11 AM
These guys were amazing when I made "Rhythm, Love and Soul".

Originally I brought them in [[with Louvaine Demps) to back up Edwin Starr on "25 Miles" , "War", "Agent Double-O-Soul", 'S.O.S." and of course to sing, "Baby, I'm For Real". We have yet to release "The Bells" which they also perfromed that night.

Harry Weinger was very important to these recordings as a special consultant for us, he was kind enough to come in and work with my orchestra to make sure they got all the details on the rhythm tracks of the original hits for the musicians to hear and A/B live for the new tv and dvd recording.

Johnny Bristol was on that show too, to reprise his coaching role on "Someday We'll Be Together" for the end credits. The show started at 6pm and went on to 3:00 in the morning in a very snowy blizzard. The Originals were out of sight - - I only wish we had time for them to do "Down To Love Town" on that show - we ran out of time at 3am when the Theatre went dark from a power outage due to the bad weather.

That was before HD, initially only offered on VHS. It was the first time we recorded to 72 tracks for a live concert as I remember.

marv2
02-18-2013, 12:51 AM
These guys were amazing when I made "Rhythm, Love and Soul".

Originally I brought them in [[with Louvaine Demps) to back up Edwin Starr on "25 Miles" , "War", "Agent Double-O-Soul", 'S.O.S." and of course to sing, "Baby, I'm For Real". We have yet to release "The Bells" which they also perfromed that night.

Harry Weinger was very important to these recordings as a special consultant for us, he was kind enough to come in and work with my orchestra to make sure they got all the details on the rhythm tracks of the original hits for the musicians to hear and A/B live for the new tv and dvd recording.

Johnny Bristol was on that show too, to reprise his coaching role on "Someday We'll Be Together" for the end credits. The show started at 6pm and went on to 3:00 in the morning in a very snowy blizzard. The Originals were out of sight - - I only wish we had time for them to do "Down To Love Town" on that show - we ran out of time at 3am when the Theatre went dark from a power outage due to the bad weather.

That was before HD, initially only offered on VHS. It was the first time we recorded to 72 tracks for a live concert as I remember.

TJ , I just bought "More Rhythm, Love and Soul on Amazon.com last week. I think this is my favorite of all of your specials.

Marv