PDA

View Full Version : Who are your favorite young artsts today??

test

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
02-05-2013, 12:53 PM
Who are your favorite young artists today?

I have several. I think Bruno Mars is great - he gets some old school flavor into his songs. His father was a doo wop singer and Bruno did a doo wop version of "Grenade" at the 2011 Grammys. It blew me away.

Adele is another favorite of mine. She is a good songwriter/singer. I love "Chasing Pavements" and "Rolling In The Deep". She reminds me a bit of Dusty Springfield.

Ryan Shaw is a fabulous young soul singer who should be much bigger than he is. He can kill the Bobby Taylor classic "I Am Your Man" and other classic songs as well.

Joan Osborne is my favorite of the young female singers today. That girl can sang! Her version of the Jimmy Ruffin classic "What Becomes of the Brokenhearted" from the movie/documentary "Standing In The Shadows of Motown" is better than the original IMHO. When the late Bob Babbitt was with us, he told me The Funk Brothers liked her so much, they took her on tour with them. You will see her sing "Money Honey" with Aaron Neville on his Doo Wop PBS Special in March.

Mayer Hawthorne is another I like. Love his hit "The Walk". Daryl Hall had him as a guest on Daryl''s great internet series "Live From Daryl's House".

Another I'm expecting big things from is Dennis "Youngblood" Taylor. Vonnie Eli put up a thread with him singing a duet with Baby Washington. He's only 17 years old and he is amazing! Dennis has a huge following in the Boston area and I have little doubt he will become popular everywhere.

The above are my favorite young artists currently. I'd like to hear who you like.

~~Mary~~

mr_june
02-05-2013, 01:18 PM
I don't even keep up with today's artist. I guess I'm locked in the old school.

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
02-05-2013, 01:22 PM
Hi mr_june,

I think most of us here prefer the old school artists, but there are some youngsters out there today trying to keep the old flavor music alive.

~~Mary~~

marv2
02-05-2013, 02:07 PM
I like John Legend and Jill Scott.

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
02-05-2013, 02:21 PM
Hi marv2,

I like Jill, too. She has a lovely voice, and she's a pretty good actress. John Legend is O.K. by me, but not a favorite.

~~Mary~~

Soul Sister
02-05-2013, 04:41 PM
Bruno Mars
Alicia Keys
Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings
Ryan Shaw
Dennie "Youngblood" Taylor

To name a few but... I prefer 1960's R & B/Soul and Jazz Balladeers [[all era's).

S.S.

Vonnie Eli
02-05-2013, 05:46 PM
Bruno Mars
Alicia Keys
Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings
Ryan Shaw
Dennis "Youngblood" Taylor
Mayer Hawthorne
Janelle Monae
Adele
Jill Scott

Vonnie

marv2
02-05-2013, 05:46 PM
Hi marv2,

I like Jill, too. She has a lovely voice, and she's a pretty good actress. John Legend is O.K. by me, but not a favorite.

~~Mary~~

Mary, John Legend has this dry singing style but his lyrics are what get my attention. Jill Scott is one of those rare ones out there today that should have a very long career [[God willing) she has a great voice and good stage prescence.

marv2
02-05-2013, 05:48 PM
I can get into some of Jaheim's stuff such as this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfHOwo6xnl4

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
02-05-2013, 05:54 PM
Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings ~~~YEEEEEESSSS!!
Alicia Keys~~~YEEEEEEESSSS!!
Thanks S.S. and Vonnie for the reminder of those two.

marv2 - I can dig it - John Legend's lyrics are cool on some songs.

~~Mary~~

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
02-05-2013, 05:57 PM
marv2,

Jaheim has a decent voice, I'll admit. Can't say I'm crazy about the song.

~~Mary~~

smark21
02-05-2013, 09:52 PM
I wouldn’t call Sharon Jones a “young: artist. She’s 56 years old. And Joan Osborne is 51.

glencro
02-06-2013, 08:51 AM
Bruno Mars
Miguel
John Legend
Eric Roberson
Beyonce
Jill Scott
Adele
Maroon 5

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
02-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Hello smark21,

Point taken. I had no idea how old Sharon Jones & Joan Osborne are. I must say neither look it. I can't speak for the others here who included Sharon's name, but they are young to me compared to vocalists like Gladys, Aretha, etc..

I would still put Joan in the younger catagory when I think of the legenday female vocalists.

~~Mary~~

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
02-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Nice list, glencro. Thanks for responding.
:)
~~Mary~~

Soul Sister
02-06-2013, 01:38 PM
My view on that is not how old they are but that Sharon & Joan are among today's artist's getting attention, they were NOT around back in the day. I think of them included in "TODAY'S" artists. Besides age has nothing to do with talent and it happens for some singers later in life.

S.S.

glencro
02-06-2013, 01:53 PM
My view on that is not how old they are but that Sharon & Joan are among today's artist's getting attention, they were NOT around back in the day. I think of them included in "TODAY'S" artists. Besides age has nothing to do with talent and it happens for some singers later in life.

S.S.

I was sort of thinking the same thing. I know that Jill Scott, John Legend and Maxwell [[who I forgot to mention) have been in the game over a decade. I'm assuming they meant newer artist as opposed to younger artist [[but maybe I'm wrong)

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
02-06-2013, 02:33 PM
I agree 100%, S. S.. Well said.

~~Mary~~

glencro
02-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Nice list, glencro. Thanks for responding.
:)
~~Mary~~

Thank you Mary

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
02-06-2013, 03:23 PM
You are most welcome, glencro.
:cool:
~~Mary~~

imnokid
02-06-2013, 04:04 PM
I'm not a fan of the newer "retro" bands. If I want to hear that sound I listen to originators from the 60s, all of whom have better voices and songs.

My favorite new artist is Michael Kiwanuka
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R2sqdZZvFQ
Vintage Trouble are also quite good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8IarWJSaLY
and they rock, too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqnfXq6o_Fo

Soul Sister
02-06-2013, 04:34 PM
Kevin,
I think we all want to hear the originals but that wasn't the question. The problem is that the old school artists never get the shots. The music biz has always been geared to the teenage market, our time will never come again.

S.S.

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
02-06-2013, 05:08 PM
Hello imnokid,

Soul Sister is right regarding the original artists.

I listened to your picks, and I like Vintage Trouble on the rock tune better than Michael Kiwanuka. I can't say they are particularly my taste, but I'm always open to being introduced to new artists.

~~Mary~~

Ngroove
02-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Consistent Great music, to me, ended in 2000.

As of 1998-1999, great years to listen to radio:
- Blackstreet [[Take Me There, Think About You, Don't Leave Me, No Diggity)
- Usher Raymond [[First two albums - Think Of You, My Way, Bedtime, You Make Me Wanna - after that - pfffft!)
- Mya [[first album - with Movin' On, My First Night With You)
- Temptations [[Phoenix Rising - Stay, This Is My Promise)
- Kirk Franklin [[Gotta love Stomp and Revolution, and tear up to Lean on Me)
- Janet Jackson [[Together Again, I Get Lonely , Go Deep)
- Monica [[The Boy Is Mine, Angel of Mine, For You I Will)
- Tyrese [[Sweet Lady)
- Guy [[Dancin')
- Mary J Blige [[All That I Can Say)
- Faith Evans [[Love Like This, All Night Long)
- Deborah Cox [[Nobody's Supposed to Be Here)
- Maxwell [[Fortunate)
- Lauryn Hill [[Doo Wop [[That Thing), Ex Factor, Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You)

smark21
02-06-2013, 09:13 PM

S.S.

I’m not sure how you would define as getting attention in today’s scene. I’ve looked at the Wiki entry for Joan Osborne and while she’s working steadily and getting some good gigs and making some interesting projects, she’s not setting the charts on fire or getting airplay on mainstream radio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Osborne

imnokid
02-06-2013, 10:03 PM
Kevin,
I think we all want to hear the originals but that wasn't the question.
S.S.

I am referring to the people who ARE saying they like some of these newer artists with the "retro" sound -Dap Kings, Fitz , Mayer hawthorne, etc.

alanh
02-07-2013, 06:33 AM
I'd love to hear John Legend record in a more 'straight' style. For example, more material like 'Ordinary People' and the excellent 'Please Baby Don't' on the Sergio Mendes 'Timeless' album. He's got a wonderful voice with great tones and I don't think the 'Roots' rhythm stuff makes the best of it.......but that's just my opinion!

Of newer artistes. I love Rumer - not soul, but very soulful.

glencro
02-07-2013, 07:42 AM
I'm not a fan of the newer "retro" bands. If I want to hear that sound I listen to originators from the 60s, all of whom have better voices and songs.

My favorite new artist is Michael Kiwanuka
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R2sqdZZvFQ
Vintage Trouble are also quite good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8IarWJSaLY
and they rock, too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqnfXq6o_Fo

I went to see Van Hunt last year and Vintage Trouble opened up for him. They were awesome and that lead singer kicked @$$. Had to buy their cd after the show.

Ngroove
02-07-2013, 11:04 AM
Of past thirteen years [[noughties) however, my list:

- Erykah Badu [[ Bag Lady)
- Brian McKnight [[ Love Of My Life)
- Remy Shand [[Take A Message)
- Eric Benet [[I Wanna Be Loved)
- Alicia Keys [[Pretty girl, but admittedly the only one I love is "You Don't Know My Name")
- Jill Scott [[Golden, Whatever)
- Rahsaan Patterson [[So Hot)
- Sean Kingston [[Fire Burning)

Kamasu_Jr
02-07-2013, 11:17 AM
Beyonce
Frank Ocean
Jennifer Hudson
Trey Songz
Tamar Braxton
Raphael Saddiq
Wayne Brady

Ngroove
02-07-2013, 11:49 AM
Oh yeah, and Norah Jones' entire "Come Away With Me" album - so simple, yet I still remember like it was Yesterday, when I was a watcher of BET Jazz, Summer of 2003, it was No.1 on the Billboard Contemporary Jazz Chart, Summer of 2004, it was still Number One on the Contemporary Jazz Chart!

And Lights, I thank Old Navy's brief attempt at "modernizing" their commercials, fell in love with "February Air" instantly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DihtCasb1F0

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
02-07-2013, 11:49 AM
Consistent Great music, to me, ended in 2000.

As of 1998-1999, great years to listen to radio:
- Blackstreet [[Take Me There, Think About You, Don't Leave Me, No Diggity)
- Usher Raymond [[First two albums - Think Of You, My Way, Bedtime, You Make Me Wanna - after that - pfffft!)
- Mya [[first album - with Movin' On, My First Night With You)
- Temptations [[Phoenix Rising - Stay, This Is My Promise)
- Kirk Franklin [[Gotta love Stomp and Revolution, and tear up to Lean on Me)
- Janet Jackson [[Together Again, I Get Lonely , Go Deep)
- Monica [[The Boy Is Mine, Angel of Mine, For You I Will)
- Tyrese [[Sweet Lady)
- Guy [[Dancin')
- Mary J Blige [[All That I Can Say)
- Faith Evans [[Love Like This, All Night Long)
- Deborah Cox [[Nobody's Supposed to Be Here)
- Maxwell [[Fortunate)
- Lauryn Hill [[Doo Wop [[That Thing), Ex Factor, Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You)

Hello Ngroove,

Nice list! You reminded me of two I like~~Lauryn Hill and Mary J. Blige. When Mary J started out her voice was like listening to fingernails on a chauk board, and I always thought she sounded off key, especially in live performances. I think she has improved in that department, and I like much of her recent work. I've always liked Janet Jackson's material and I love Kirk Franklin. Thanks for posting.

~~Mary~~

skooldem1
02-07-2013, 11:52 AM
Oh yeah, and Norah Jones' entire "Come Away With Me" album - so simple, yet I still remember like it was Yesterday, when I was a watcher of BET Jazz, Summer of 2003, it was No.1 on the Billboard Contemporary Jazz Chart, Summer of 2004, it was still Number One on the Contemporary Jazz Chart!

"Come away with me" is a great album.

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
02-07-2013, 11:59 AM
[QUOTE=smark21;145045]I’m not sure how you would define as getting attention in today’s scene. I’ve looked at the Wiki entry for Joan Osborne and while she’s working steadily and getting some good gigs and making some interesting projects, she’s not setting the charts on fire or getting airplay on mainstream radio.

smark21,

With all due respect, I disagree about Joan Osborne. She is certainly well known among her peers and her fans. She has many followers on Facebook. Many talented artists don't chart and don't get airplay on mainstream radio, which has become a joke to many. That's why so many internet radio stations have cropped up, where people can hear the music mainstream radio doesn't play, Wiki says she's getting good gigs, etc.. Sounds to me like she has a steady, if not mainstream, career. Aaron Neville had her on as a guest for his PBS Special. She will get "attention" from that show.

You bring up an interesting subject, that might spawn a thread for discussion. Mainstream vs internet radio.

~~Mary~~

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
02-07-2013, 12:04 PM
I'd love to hear John Legend record in a more 'straight' style. For example, more material like 'Ordinary People' and the excellent 'Please Baby Don't' on the Sergio Mendes 'Timeless' album. He's got a wonderful voice with great tones and I don't think the 'Roots' rhythm stuff makes the best of it.......but that's just my opinion!

Of newer artistes. I love Rumer - not soul, but very soulful.

Hello alanh,

Everyone is entitled to their opinon. Musical taste is subjective and we all like what sounds good to our ears. You may have a point about John Legend. I do like "Ordinary People". The lyrics are good, but I'm not a fan of his singing style.

~~Mary~~

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
02-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Beyonce
Frank Ocean
Jennifer Hudson
Trey Songz
Tamar

Hello Kamasu,

You reminded me of two I love. Jennifer Hudson is the bomb! I don't know why I didn't think of her before. I think you're referring to Tamar Braxton. Love everything about her, including her new song "Love and War". The girl is multi-talented IMHO. Thanks for posting.

~~Mary~~

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
02-07-2013, 12:14 PM
Ngrooove and skooldem1,

Nora Jones~~YEEEEEEESSSS!!

~~Mary~~

Soul Sister
02-07-2013, 01:59 PM
I agree with Nora & Jennifer [[esp. Jennifer)!! :)

S.S.

smark21
02-07-2013, 08:55 PM
[QUOTE=smark21;145045]I’m not sure how you would define as getting attention in today’s scene. I’ve looked at the Wiki entry for Joan Osborne and while she’s working steadily and getting some good gigs and making some interesting projects, she’s not setting the charts on fire or getting airplay on mainstream radio.

smark21,

With all due respect, I disagree about Joan Osborne. She is certainly well known among her peers and her fans. She has many followers on Facebook. Many talented artists don't chart and don't get airplay on mainstream radio, which has become a joke to many. That's why so many internet radio stations have cropped up, where people can hear the music mainstream radio doesn't play, Wiki says she's getting good gigs, etc.. Sounds to me like she has a steady, if not mainstream, career. Aaron Neville had her on as a guest for his PBS Special. She will get "attention" from that show.

You bring up an interesting subject, that might spawn a thread for discussion. Mainstream vs internet radio.

~~Mary~~

I’ve no doubt Joan Osborne is talked about in various niches of the internet, and of course she is well known amongst her fans—after all they’re fans! That’s what the internet is all about—niches! But she’s not creating the same sort of stir as an Adele or a Frank Ocean or a Mumford and Sons. The closest she ever made to making a big noise in the culture was in the mid 90s when “One of Us” was a big hit, but that was her only hit and for many people, she’s considered a one hit wonder. A shame, as I’ve discovered some of her music and she’s so much better than “One of Us”, her claim to fame. AS fans of particular artists, it’s wise to check ourselves from time to time and remember just because someone may be “BIG” in our little sphere, that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re creating a big stir in the larger world. I’ve been guilty of this as well with some faves. I’ve no doubt Joan Osborne is a big star at whatever internet radio station you listen to, but there are thousands of internet radio stations out there catering to specialized niches of music fans.

nathanj06
02-07-2013, 11:09 PM
There are artists today? :confused:

soulster
02-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Bruno Mars and Janelle Monae

They both have real talent in that they both sing a variety of styles very well, and, at least Bruno mars is also a writer, multi-instrumentalist, and a record producer who has accomplished quite a bit in the few short years he's been active.

soulster
02-08-2013, 11:21 AM
There are artists today? :confused:
They are not so hard to find, really. All you have to do is make the effort to hear them, and listen to them.

Soul Sister
02-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Thank you, soulster for sharing that.
Bruno is my:)fav today.

S.S.

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
02-08-2013, 01:16 PM
[QUOTE=JIVE FIVE Mary G.;145138]

I’ve no doubt Joan Osborne is talked about in various niches of the internet, and of course she is well known amongst her fans—after all they’re fans! That’s what the internet is all about—niches! But she’s not creating the same sort of stir as an Adele or a Frank Ocean or a Mumford and Sons. The closest she ever made to making a big noise in the culture was in the mid 90s when “One of Us” was a big hit, but that was her only hit and for many people, she’s considered a one hit wonder. A shame, as I’ve discovered some of her music and she’s so much better than “One of Us”, her claim to fame. AS fans of particular artists, it’s wise to check ourselves from time to time and remember just because someone may be “BIG” in our little sphere, that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re creating a big stir in the larger world. I’ve been guilty of this as well with some faves. I’ve no doubt Joan Osborne is a big star at whatever internet radio station you listen to, but there are thousands of internet radio stations out there catering to specialized niches of music fans.

I think we're getting a little off track here regarding Joan Osborne. I said in my original post she is my favorite female singer among the younger ones on the scene today. That's the question I asked - who are your favorites, and I listed mine.

All music is nich music, as you call it, including the soul music most of us here love. I like artists who have talent who sound good to my ears. While I might wish they would make a bigger mark on today's music scene, the fact they don't doesn't enter into my thinking regarding who are my favorites.

There are zillions of internet stations playing oldies, doo wop, rock and roll, soul, r&b, and other genres. They have emerged because mainstream radio plays only pop, pop country or "oldies", which are songs from the '80's and '90's. I don't know which ones play Joan Osborne, or other artists for that matter. I don't have the time to listen to much radio, so when I do, I listen to DJ's and stations I like.

~~Mary~~

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
02-08-2013, 01:20 PM
Bruno Mars and Janelle Monae

They both have real talent in that they both sing a variety of styles very well, and, at least Bruno mars is also a writer, multi-instrumentalist, and a record producer who has accomplished quite a bit in the few short years he's been active.

I like your choices, soulster, and listed Bruno Mars, too. He is multi-talented and has an appreciation for old school music. Thanks for posting.

~~Mary~~

splanky
02-09-2013, 10:58 AM
How young is "young"?...Though they are not my favorites by a long shot I've liked a lot
of stuff that came from Alicia Keys, Beyonce, Cee-lo Green and Jennifer Hudson. Hell, I liked
Stick wit u by the dang Pussycat Dolls. For me it's just that I love so much other [[non-pop)
music that many of my favorites are probably unknown to most of the forum.
@ imnokid I have to say this: Michael Kiwanuka is the frigging truth!...
Otherwise I really like:
Jazmine Sullivan
Ryan Shaw [[yep, me too:)
Carmen Souza
Esperanza Spaulding [[bassist, vocalist)
Christian Scott [[jazz trumpeter)
Trombone Shorty [[ditto +)
Gretchen Parlota
Melody Gardot
Liane las Havas [[singers)
and sometime Beyonce saxophonist, Tia Fuller. She's a bad girl!....

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
02-09-2013, 04:11 PM
Hi splanky,

"Young" can be anything you want it to be. For me it's artists who are younger than the old school artists most of us love.

I'm into Ryan Shaw, too. He is soooooooo talented! Thanks for posting.

~~Mary~~

mickeymac
02-09-2013, 08:06 PM
As for new R&B/Soul mostly I just like Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings. I prefer the old 60's stuff, but thats just me.

I really like Duffy. Her sound-think of the classic 1960's Burt Bacharach productions. She really gets that sound down.

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
02-10-2013, 12:46 PM
Hey there MM,

I love Sharon & The Dap Kings, too. It might interest you to know they want Gene and The Jive Five ro re-record a couple of their songs on the Dap's label. Thanks for posting and it's great to see you here.

~~Mary~~

Ngroove
02-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Yeah, just wanna say, of current, I'm still only twenty-seven [[perhaps still, although late, of today's music's demographics), but at fourteen, I opened my eyes [[or ears, so to speak), and realized "MAN, TODAY'S MUSIC SUCKS!" That was when, on my search for "beautiful music", I've discovered Motown, Temptations and the Supremes, also spent my late Junior High year listening to Barry White hahaha.

Even around 2006, when I briefly tried an effort to consistently listen to today's "popular music" radio stations - not just Jammin' Oldies / Classic Soul / Mix stations, I eventually once again re-inforced that "today's music just doesn't have as much quality, substance" when it was "Pussycat Dolls", "Pretty Ricky", "Usher Raymond" [[when it was "Confessions"), yes, even "Outkast" and "Blackeyed Peas" are just annoying to my ears.

soulster
02-10-2013, 01:13 PM
I like your choices, soulster, and listed Bruno Mars, too. He is multi-talented and has an appreciation for old school music. Thanks for posting.

~~Mary~~

Unfortunately, the majority of Mars' music, IMO, doesn't demonstrate the full capacity of his immense talent. I'm not saying it's bad music, but he's not living up to his potential. But, he also has to make a living. BTW, he is a co-writer in Cee Lo Green's "F**k You".

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
02-10-2013, 03:16 PM
I would tend to agree, soulster. However, he does some pretty gutsy things on stage. At the 2011 Grammys her performed "Grenade" doo wop style and brought the house down. He may be hampered by his managment and record label. Many artists suffer that fate. He has great potential for sure.

~~Mary~~

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
02-10-2013, 03:20 PM
Yeah, just wanna say, of current, I'm still only twenty-seven [[perhaps still, although late, of today's music's demographics), but at fourteen, I opened my eyes [[or ears, so to speak), and realized "MAN, TODAY'S MUSIC SUCKS!" That was when, on my search for "beautiful music", I've discovered Motown, Temptations and the Supremes, also spent my late Junior High year listening to Barry White hahaha.

Even around 2006, when I briefly tried an effort to consistently listen to today's "popular music" radio stations - not just Jammin' Oldies / Classic Soul / Mix stations, I eventually once again re-inforced that "today's music just doesn't have as much quality, substance" when it was "Pussycat Dolls", "Pretty Ricky", "Usher Raymond" [[when it was "Confessions"), yes, even "Outkast" and "Blackeyed Peas" are just annoying to my ears.

I'm always pleased to hear someone so young appreciates our music. You're not alone. I know artists on the "oldies" curcut are seeing young folks in their audiences.

I think it's safe to say all, if not most of us here, prefer old school music.

~~Mary~~

MadLad
02-10-2013, 11:21 PM
Cody ChesnuTT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUtEM2RAHmM

MadLad
02-10-2013, 11:30 PM
Kings Go Fourth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30Vak9QChjQ

MadLad
02-10-2013, 11:32 PM
Monophonics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgBMc5-CnVA&feature=share&list=PLFC675A9164B31293

MadLad
02-10-2013, 11:33 PM
Cookin' On 3 Burners

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdhU5Dv0pcI

soulster
02-11-2013, 12:30 AM
Anyone watching the Grammys right now can plainly see that there is a wealth of great talent among the younger generation today. Kelly Clarkson was great a few minutes ago, and Rihanna, once again, proved she can sing. Alicia Keys was great. I could go on...

jboy88
02-11-2013, 01:27 AM
Here's some of my personal favorites from the present. [[http://www.youtube.com/embed/IIoIu7ANUTo)
http://youtu.be/IIoIu7ANUTo

jboy88
02-11-2013, 01:41 AM
http://youtu.be/ewnhncpo64o

jdwheat
02-11-2013, 02:41 AM
Nicole Willis & the Soul Investigators -- great voice and great sound.
DeRobert & the Half Truths -- from Nashville. DeRobert has to be heard to be believed.
Eli "Paperboy" Reed & the True Loves -- cool blue-eyed soul

+ any artist on the Daptone label

Did anyone list Anthony Hamilton? [[Didn't see him.)

arrr&bee
02-12-2013, 01:33 PM
The pickins are slim for me umm lets see...alicia keys-jennifer hudson-john legend-beyonce-adele-the root.

Soul Sister
02-12-2013, 01:41 PM
Yes, R&B, "The Roots" are dynamite.
We got to work with 'Quest?Love', fun, fun, fun!!!
S.S.

caliluv
02-12-2013, 11:45 PM
Raphael Saadiq

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
02-13-2013, 04:21 PM
Thank you MadLad, jboy88, jdwheat, and arr&bee [[the hootch man) and caliluv for your contributions. Much appreciated. You're intorducing me to some artists I didn't know.

Great photo, Soul Sister!

~~Mary~~

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
02-13-2013, 04:24 PM
BTW, soulster,

Right on re Kelly Clarkson at the Grammy's. She was superb, just like she was at President Obama's Inauguration. She blew it out of the park on both occasions.

~~Mary~~

glencro
02-14-2013, 04:39 AM
Raphael Saadiq

I love Raphael Saadiq and he puts on an awesome show . Between his Tony Toni Tone background and solo career, he's been around about 20 years