PDA

View Full Version : Sister sledge: Where did their love go?

test

glencro
02-05-2013, 11:59 AM
I can remember when I was 12 and first begin to see Sister Sledge on Dinah, American Bandstand, The Merv Griffin Show , Midnight Special and so many other shows promoting their big hits "He's The Greatest Dancer" and "We Are Family". I was smitten by these beauties, so much so that I dumped my girlfriend Penny from "Good Times" who was actually my age. In fact, my very first album purchase was "We Are Family". I started collecting the magazines that they were featured in and was able to find their first two albums in the basement of a Kresge department store. I have probably purchased everything that they have released since whether it was bad or good. Lucked up on a few fans domestically and internationally and was able to obtain some great video footage on the group. I have always thought they were very beautiful, classy and made good music. Needless to say, I have mad love for my Sledge sisters.
About a decade or so ago, I begin to notice that there were two versions of Sister Sledge out there. Usually one with Kathy Sledge and some other girls and then a version with Joni Sledge and [[sometimes) Debbie Sledge and some other random tall, light complexioned female with long hair. In 2003, I sent Kathy an email through her website because I heard that Sister Sledge was coming to Detroit. To my surprise, she responded. She said that she didn't know anything about the show but Joni was touring and they were "working it out" and even asked me to let her know how the show went. It was Joni's version and though it was a good show it was n't a Sledge show.
The original line-up appreared on OPRAH's "Women Who Rock" and during her final season and they have all aged quite well. There was some great behind the scenes footage on Oprah's website, so I was excited because I figured that they had "worked it out".
I guess after avoiding the question of why are there two different versions or when will they get together, Kathy decided to be more candid about the situation. In her interview in the Daeida magazine, she confirmed that she has been estranged from her sisters. The www.sistersledge.com site has practically erased her from the legacy of the group, which is crazy imo considering that she was "the voice" of the group. She even mentioned that when she decided to record the solo album in 1992 she was given an ultimatum by some of her sisters on whether she can return to the group. For the most part Kathy states that Joni is fixated on being the leader of the group and has even insisted on leading some songs that Kathy had made a hit. Joni released some decent music on www.jonisledgeonline.com but again, it was Kathy's vocals that made those songs hits. Even as a youngster Kathy was often singled out by producers and given the leads to songs that they wanted to sing. She even turned down a lot of offers because she always had her sisters in mind.
The irony in all of this is that "We Are Family" is THE unity song for families, sports teams, gay and lesbian groups, etc and the singers of the song are not currently getting along. Hopefully , someday they'll be together [[again)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-HvhZpSQ60

Kamasu_Jr
02-05-2013, 12:21 PM
It's a classic or old show business story. Feuding and estranged sisters. Olivia de Havilland and her sister Joan Fontainet didn't speak for a time; The Andrews Sisters fell out over money and men according to legend; Dorothy Dandridge and her sister had issues, The Pointer Sisters had problems, etc. Sometimes it's sibling rivalry, other times it is something else. I knew something was up with Sister Sledge but didn't know exactly what.

glencro
02-06-2013, 09:42 AM
I guess it's families in general. Members of the Jacksons have had their share of squabbles, including Randy marrying Jermaine's ex-wife; When El DeBarge was becoming bigger than the group, there were some issues among the members; Never knew why Isleys and Isley, Jasper, Isley split for a second. Was it a creative venture or did they feel the need to part briefly for other reasons? ; Marvin Winans and twin brother Carvin were estranged for some time but they are now working on a cd with brother BeBe as The Winans; Michael Winans left a family tour after brother Marvin would not include a spot on the tour for he and his wife who were a recording duo at the time Michael & Regina Winans; There's a fifth Clark Sister that for the most part they have not had dealings with in decades. Heck I have aunts on both sides of the family who have not spoken to each other in years. No one is exempt from that ugly thing called sibling rivalry

luke
02-06-2013, 11:58 AM
They did appear together on Oprahs last show. The other Sledges have a new website coming. All the sisters have vg voices. Kim's I think sounds very close to Kathy's style.

glencro
02-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Luke, here's a behind the scenes clip from Oprah's last season, The sisters seemed to be doing fine and they sound great. Would be good to hear them record as the original unit again.
http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Backstage-with-Sister-Sledge-Video

luke
02-07-2013, 02:58 PM
Didnt Kathy say there were issues about how much they would let her sing lead so a verse was cut? Thx glen

glencro
02-07-2013, 05:32 PM
In the interview she actually said that she wanted to give her sisters an opportunity to shine on OPRAH so she let them have a lead on the second verse of "We Are Family" but it was edited out when the show aired. Assumed that they wanted to hear the song as it recorded. She did talk of some issues of Joni saying that she had re-recorded the song and stating that she would be leading it.

luke
02-08-2013, 12:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L7IKKIRdug Two of three are Sisters--four months ago We Are Family

alanbill1074
02-08-2013, 09:32 AM
I always considered Joni to be the face of Sister Sledge, perhaps because "Lost In Music" was such a huge record in the UK which was a Joni lead. She had the charisma of a lead vocalist, and I remember being surprised to see Kathy upfront on other songs.

glencro
02-10-2013, 09:12 AM
alanbill1074, I have to agree that Joni was definitely the one that caught my attention first. Very sexy and charismatic and had a great voice. I think that the vocals should have been spread out more like the Pointer Sisters because all of the sisters are very capable leads. On their first album "Circle of Love", Kathy lead every song except "Give In To Love" which was a Debbie lead. I believe they [[record label/producers) were trying to create a Michael Jackson situation with the group when they were younger. Here's the beautiful Joni doing her thing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6P7uHoItUA

Cosmic Truth
02-11-2013, 11:13 AM
I didn't know Joni sang lead in Lost in Music. I thought Kathy was the lead singer in all their songs.
That Joni was a very good looking young woman. So good looking in fact that if she had gone out on a date with me, some people might have looked at her! I can pay her no higher compliment than that. http://1.2.3.13/bmi/soulfuldetroit.com/images/smilies/smile.png

glencro
02-16-2013, 08:56 AM
That Joni was a very good looking young woman. So good looking in fact that if she had gone out on a date with me, some people might have looked at her! I can pay her no higher compliment than that. http://1.2.3.13/bmi/soulfuldetroit.com/images/smilies/smile.png

LOL, what a compliment [[I think) Cosmic Truth