PDA

View Full Version : Soap Talk

test

misty
02-04-2013, 10:55 PM
My name is Michele Val Jean and I've been a soap writer for 20+ years. I started off in nighttime with 2 episodes of Jake & The Fatman, but I always loved daytime [[grandma watched, mother watched, you know the drill) and that was my ultimate goal.

At that time I was the assistant to the Exec Producer/Head Writer on Jake so I used the connections I had to get an agent, and my first staff job on Generations. When that got cancelled, I moved to Santa Barbara. When THAT got cancelled, I moved to General Hospital, where I stayed for 19 years. My biggest claim to fame there was I became the first and only black head writer in the history of daytime - that still stands - but my tenure got caught up in a regime change and unfortunately [[or fortunately, it's a LOT of work) it didn't last long.

I left GH last year and am currently writing scripts for Bold & Beautiful - a very different show from anything I've ever done before, but I absolutely love it.

I'm starting this thread in case there are any soap fans with questions about the writing process, or characters you love or hate, or what it takes to produce 5 hours of television a week, or anything I can answer without giving stuff away. Always keeping in mind, this old memory isn't what it used to be!

ralpht
02-04-2013, 11:50 PM
Kind of like a workshop, Misty. Cool.

StuBass1
02-05-2013, 12:04 AM
Hi Misty...Wondering if you know a buddy of mine...John Homa? He's a top notch acting coach for soaps and I believe that General Hospital is one of the shows he's worked on.

gary_james
02-05-2013, 12:09 AM
That's cool Misty! I haven't watched Soaps since I watched Another World with my Mom in the 70s when i was off from school for the Summer. But, I did see Jack Wagner is returning to General Hospital.

misty
02-05-2013, 12:32 AM
StuBass, yes! I know John. We worked together for many years. I don't think he's at GH anymore? There was a big housecleaning over there when the new exec producer and headwriter took over last year. He's terrific and helped the younger, more inexperienced actors so much when they first came on.

misty
02-05-2013, 12:34 AM
Hi gary. Yes, Jack is back! Twitter's all aflutter over it. Interesting because he has to work with Kristina Wagner, his ex-wife. Frisco & Felicia ain't the real life couple they used to be. LOL! Sometimes what goes on behind the scenes is more interesting than what's on the air - especially on GH. LOL!

StuBass1
02-05-2013, 01:04 AM
I used to play golf with John and his son Max when he was a wee kid just starting out. Max has gone on to become one of the top Jr golfers in the country and is the top player for the University Of California at Berkely.

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
02-05-2013, 12:22 PM
Hey Misty,

What a great idea for a thread. As you know I love the day time dramas and often prefer them to much of the night time fare.

Since we're friends, I want to brag on you a little. Folks should know you've won several day time Emmy's for your work. No small feat in such a competitive business. I'm so pleased you're happy with your new position at B&B, which I try to watch regularly, since it follows my other favorite Y&R.

Santa Barbara was my favorite soap of them all. I don't watch GH as much as I used to, but I'm glad it's the one reamaining soap on ABC.

I know you wrote entire scripts for GH and worked with Billy Dee Williams when he did a guest stint on the show. Could you let us know when an episode of B&B comes up where you've written the entire show?

~~Mary~~

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
02-05-2013, 12:24 PM
Hi StuBass,

It's good to see you again.

~~Mary~~

StuBass1
02-05-2013, 08:28 PM
Hi Mary...new username huh???

soulster
02-05-2013, 08:48 PM
I left GH last year and am currently writing scripts for Bold & Beautiful - a very different show from anything I've ever done before, but I absolutely love it.

I'm starting this thread in case there are any soap fans with questions about the writing process, or characters you love or hate, or what it takes to produce 5 hours of television a week, or anything I can answer without giving stuff away. Always keeping in mind, this old memory isn't what it used to be!

Hi,

I guess I don't have anything to add except that I was a loyal viewer of the B&B since its first episode in the mid-80s. However, I quit watching it for good last year because of the constant stupidity of the Ridge character bouncing back and forth from Brooke to Taylor. It got old about 20 years ago. The story lines became absurd.

I know Ronn Moss is no longer on the show, as is Susan Flannery, but if you can help provide some meaty reasons for me to return to watching, i'll give it a new chance.

Right now, the only soap I watch is Y&R. I've been watching that since the 80s too.

BTW, I was a huge fan of Santa Barbara until they changed the show after the writer's strike. What made that show so cool was that it was a comedy. The Gina and Keith characters were the best!

I am a Black male who holds a full-time job and my last girlfriend was horrified that I watch those things. Would you believe that my father, a two war vet from the deep south, also watched Y&R? His favorite character? Victor Newman, and i'm not surprised. He is an asshole, just like my father was.

For all of you who are surprised that I watch soaps, surprise!

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
02-06-2013, 11:15 AM
Hi Stu,

Yes, there's an explanation in the New Members thread. I see no reason not to use my real name, and it's more appropriate for what I'm doing these days.

~~Mary~~

misty
02-06-2013, 03:15 PM
Mary, my next air dates are 2/12, 2/18 and 2/26. And thanks so much for tooting my horn! You're a good friend.
soulster - My boss Brad Bell is very fond of triangles. LOL! Hence the second generation Liam/Steffy/Hope configuration. That story is moving in interesting ways. And the canvas is more balanced now with the loss of Ronn and Susan. Bill and Katie are moving more to the front, Brooke is featured heavily, we have a couple of new interesting black characters that are involved with Dayzee/Marcus. There's infighting at Forrester for control of the company and we've reignited the Brooke/Taylor rivalry. [[And Taylor's sitting pretty right now because she and Eric took 'comfort' in each other after Stephanie died). Give us another shot. You might like what you see.
Santa Barbara ran into a lot of problems when the creators Bridget & Jerry Dobson kept getting fired and new people came in. No one knew what that show was supposed to be except the Dobsons. They were brilliant.
I know lots of men who watch soaps. When I was a singer in a rock band back in the 70's, slowly but surely I got all the guys hooked on them too! One time we were taking off on a road trip and nobody would leave until Rich Man Poor Man was over! [[nighttime soap but same idea).

Soul Sister
02-06-2013, 04:26 PM
Hi Misty,
Great thread! I am glad your posting about your career, you deserve all the accolades, you work hard, GF.
Like you I watched the old soaps with my Grandmother while I was a toddler and small child, I got hooked to, lol. I loved Santa Barbara when it was on. I watched the Young & the Restless since the beginning. Sometimes I watch the Bold & the Beautiful too, so does Jimmy lol..... I am so glad you let us know which episodes you wrote coming up, I'll make sure I watch them!
"Rich Man Poor Man" was a good one too!!

Love You! :o
S.S.

soulster
02-06-2013, 11:29 PM
Santa Barbara ran into a lot of problems when the creators Bridget & Jerry Dobson kept getting fired and new people came in. No one knew what that show was supposed to be except the Dobsons. They were brilliant.

Perhaps the Dobsons were a bit ahead of their time. Maybe the usual daytime audience wasn't quite ready for what they offered. Perhaps they should have configured the show for prime-time because Melrose Place, somewhat along the same lines as far as the gags and twisted characters were concerned, flourished in the 90s.

misty
02-07-2013, 04:32 PM
I agree - definitely ahead of their time. Bit of trivia - did you know Bridget's parents created GH? Frank & Doris Hursley.

soulster
02-07-2013, 06:32 PM
I agree - definitely ahead of their time. Bit of trivia - did you know Bridget's parents created GH? Frank & Doris Hursley.
Well, i'm not that into soaps. I just watch 'em.

This isn't part of your game, but the situation with Victoria Rowell and Y&R has been full of drama.

misty
02-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Yeah, a lot of drama. That's all I'll say! LOL

Mary, I'm having a delayed reaction to your earlier post and would like to take the opportunity to clarify. At least 4 people are involved in every day that airs:

1. Head Writer. In our case that's Brad Bell. It's his vision we're there to serve, so all story lines come from him.
2. Outline writer. On most shows there's a team of them - on our show, just one guy who basically writes up notes that tell us who the characters are in our day, what sets we're using, and what needs to happen.
3. Script writer. That person is responsible for turning what's in the outline [[or notes) into action and dialogue. And
4. Script editor. Once the script is turned it, this writer makes whatever changes might be necessary for continuity or because the head writer changed his/her mind or because the script is too long/too short, etc.
So no script writer really writes the entire show.
Hope that made sense!

soulster
02-08-2013, 11:23 AM
That's an amazing amount of work, and a lot of stress!

I will give B&B another chance soon. It's sweeps period, so now is probably the time.

zebop
02-22-2013, 04:10 AM
Michele Van Jean, that name is familiar. I've been looking at this thread for a while, I'd love to know a lot of things, don't know how to frame the questions? Here's a few things I've always wondered about.

I was one of the people who liked an actress Jennifer Bransford who played Carly on General Hospital. Her exit seemed especially mean-spirited and seemed to be blamed on one person. Are exits like that typical or is it because this one just closely watched...

One of my favorite characters was Mason Capwell, especially when Lane Davies played him. He of course was replaced by Terry Lester for a bit. Me, I don't think it worked, that's just my opinion of course. How did other people feel about it then, this is pre-internet [[for me) so I don't have any idea. I do think Gordon Thomson did some nice work, especially during the dinner party episodes...

Thank you :)

misty
02-22-2013, 04:14 PM
zebop: Jennifer just didn't work in the role of Carly. She was inexperienced and the volume of work was hard for her to get through. Her exit was rather abrupt but once the decision was made to replace her, they wanted to do it quickly and put Laura Wright in the role before they lost the opportunity. Typical? It happens sometimes but it's usually a more gradual fade.

I loved Lane as Mason, too. And I agree - Terry didn't do it for me, either. A lot of people felt differently and thought he was wonderful. Gordon saved that character for me. If you remember that was another abrupt recast. Terry Lester fell down on the docks and when he got up, he was Gordon! Always thought that was such classic Santa Barbara sensibility. Those Dobsons were wacky.

I believe those dinner party scenes - written by the incomparable Patrick Mulcahey - still stand as the most brilliant writing daytime's ever seen.

misty
02-22-2013, 04:15 PM
Or did Jennifer replace Sarah the first time and they wanted Tamara. Can't remember. But you get the idea.

soulster
02-22-2013, 05:13 PM
One of my favorite characters was Mason Capwell, especially when Lane Davies played him. He of course was replaced by Terry Lester for a bit. Me, I don't think it worked, that's just my opinion of course. How did other people feel about it then, this is pre-internet [[for me) so I don't have any idea. I do think Gordon Thomson did some nice work, especially during the dinner party episodes...

I hear ya about Lane Davies' version of Mason Capwell. He was perfect for the part. Terry Lester had just stepped out of Y&R as Jack Abbott. Allegedly, he was unhappy there because he felt so much camera time was given to Lauralee Bell [[Christine "Cricket"/the Bug), who was related to William Bell, the creator of that, and the B&B soap.

zebop
02-23-2013, 02:33 PM
zebop: Jennifer just didn't work in the role of Carly. She was inexperienced and the volume of work was hard for her to get through. Her exit was rather abrupt but once the decision was made to replace her, they wanted to do it quickly and put Laura Wright in the role before they lost the opportunity. Typical? It happens sometimes but it's usually a more gradual fade.

I loved Lane as Mason, too. And I agree - Terry didn't do it for me, either. A lot of people felt differently and thought he was wonderful. Gordon saved that character for me. If you remember that was another abrupt recast. Terry Lester fell down on the docks and when he got up, he was Gordon! Always thought that was such classic Santa Barbara sensibility. Those Dobsons were wacky.

I believe those dinner party scenes - written by the incomparable Patrick Mulcahey - still stand as the most brilliant writing daytime's ever seen.

Ok, thank you! That's what happened with Jennifer, now I remember a lot of people not thinking it was a great fit. She replaced Tamara Braun who had taken over from Sarah Brown.

Yep, I remember that scene with the Terry Lester/Gordon Thomson switch, hilarious. Got to say I was relived. As a fan [[of television?) Terry's stint as Mason was often very tiresome to watch. The whole family dynamic seemed off, Mason and Julia were too "cutesy" with him, IMO. I do think Gordon did a much better job, that dinner party proved that, I loved those lines.

I hear ya about Lane Davies' version of Mason Capwell. He was perfect for the part. Terry Lester had just stepped out of Y&R as Jack Abbott. Allegedly, he was unhappy there because he felt so much camera time was given to Lauralee Bell [[Christine "Cricket"/the Bug), who was related to William Bell, the creator of that, and the B&B soap.

Yep, that's the way I feel too, Davies really had an interesting chemistry with Nancy Lee Grahn too. I found Davies's version of Mason just one of the coolest characters ever

Uh huh, Terry wasn't happy about Cricket's camera time. Strange Peter Bergman replaced Terry Lester, 20 odd years ago and he's still there? Amazing....

soulster
02-23-2013, 06:59 PM
Strange Peter Bergman replaced Terry Lester, 20 odd years ago and he's still there? Amazing....
Bergman does an excellent job playing Jack Abbott. And, the mutual contempt he and Hans Gudegast [[Eric Braden) share for each other provides the perfect friction for the show. That's why he's been doing it for over 20 years.

zebop
02-23-2013, 11:50 PM
Bergman does an excellent job playing Jack Abbott. And, the mutual contempt he and Hans Gudegast [[Eric Braden) share for each other provides the perfect friction for the show. That's why he's been doing it for over 20 years.

Bergman's very fun to watch too. I even liked him as Cliff Warner. Bergman came from a tough situation with AMC and the backlash over the Cliff/Angie relationship. While at first blush I wouldn't have though Peter would have been a good Jack Abbott, he's made more than made it his own.

soulster
02-24-2013, 09:17 AM
Bergman's very fun to watch too. I even liked him as Cliff Warner. Bergman came from a tough situation with AMC and the backlash over the Cliff/Angie relationship. While at first blush I wouldn't have though Peter would have been a good Jack Abbott, he's made more than made it his own.

I was actually horrified when Bergman first popped up as Jack Abbott on Y&R. I forget what the storyline was, but it was in a courtroom, and he wasn't expected to show up for testimony, or something like that. First thing I thought was that this guy has too much hair and looks like a clown.

misty
02-24-2013, 06:02 PM
I remember being puzzled about casting Peter Bergman in that role too, but he's come to embody it. Actually, he's been good in it from the beginning. Such a departure from Cliff, too. Sign of a good actor.

zebop
02-28-2013, 03:27 AM
Here's a few more questions...

On Santa Barbara, A Martinez and Marcy Walker were one of my favorite couples, they had some intense and very good chemistry. Did anyone [[fans, network, etc) have a problem with them as a couple. I didn't "love" the way she exited and despite the love interests, her absence seemed to hang over the show at times...

Who was your favorite Carly to write for on GH, if you can say. I know who my favorite is, Sarah Brown. Although it's the same character, the actresses made it so different.

misty
02-28-2013, 04:27 PM
I never felt any resistance to Cruz & Eden as a couple. They were pretty much universally loved by all. But I wasn't there when they started, so I might have missed something. Very special chemistry and yes, she was missed after she left.

I'd have to say it's a toss-up between Sarah and Laura. Both actresses are so balls-out and fearless. Makes them fun to write for because they'll tackle anything and make it work, even if it's seemingly 'out of character'. [[Though what would be out of character for Carly is hard to imagine, since she's so complicated)

soulster
02-28-2013, 05:32 PM
I never felt any resistance to Cruz & Eden as a couple. They were pretty much universally loved by all.

This brings up an interesting issue in some soaps.

The Eden and Cruz characters didn't bother anyone because it was a Latino and White person. Now, I don't know about most soaps, but on my soap of choice, Black men and White women never get together unless the characters are seriously flawed and/or the relationship is doomed. Seems to me that the 21st century still has yet to hit these writers and/or the audiences. It seems to me like the writers want to "go there", but they back off every time. They'll for Black women/White men, or even gay couples, but not that 'other" one.

misty
02-28-2013, 07:47 PM
Not nearly enough of it, but currently on GH, Nancy Lee Grah's Alexis is having an affair with Shawn Blakemore's Shawn. And on B&B, Texas Battle's Marcus has a kid with Adrienne Franz' Amber. Also on GH, Alexis' daughter Molly is involved with a black teen named Trey. So it does happen.

soulster
02-28-2013, 07:58 PM
Not nearly enough of it, but currently on GH, Nancy Lee Grah's Alexis is having an affair with Shawn Blakemore's Shawn. And on B&B, Texas Battle's Marcus has a kid with Adrienne Franz' Amber. Also on GH, Alexis' daughter Molly is involved with a black teen named Trey. So it does happen.
Concerning Amber: that character has had one of the most soiled reputations on two soaps now. Why can't one the pure, White girls be hooked up with a good Black guy?

gary_james
02-28-2013, 08:02 PM
Rick Springfield is returning to General Hospital, and his son is joining.

soulster
02-28-2013, 08:51 PM
Rick Springfield is returning to General Hospital, and his son is joining.

So did he give up on trying to come back with his music?

misty
03-01-2013, 12:20 AM
soulster, they don't get any purer than Molly on GH.
Rick Springfield still performs and records. He's coming back to GH for the 50th anniversary.

Soul Sister
03-01-2013, 02:27 AM
Loved A. Martinez on S.B. and in other films too!!
What's happened to him?

S.S.

soulster
03-01-2013, 10:29 AM
[QUOTE=Soul Sister;150373]Loved A. Martinez on S.B. and in other films too!!
What's happened to him?

S.S.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Martinez
According to Wiki, He hasn't done much in the last couple of years.

misty
03-01-2013, 03:52 PM
A few independent films, couple of guest appearances on B&B. Really fine actor who should be working more. Also a genuinely nice person. Very spiritual guy.

jillfoster
03-01-2013, 07:00 PM
Hey, Michele... great to see you here! Yes, A Martinez is a great actor, and DAMN FINE! Good to see you writing B&B, it's the only soap I can watch anymore, it actually still looks and feels like a Bell soap. For me, production values sometimes is just as important as writing, and Y&R has just been ruined by this GOD AWFUL score that Jill Faren Phelps has brought in. Background score can make or break a show, and this one is broken by what they are using. B&B never had stellar score, but defiantely nice, and nothing that was intrusive or jolting, or worked against the writing. I so miss the classic gothic Y&R that John Conboy designed with his production stlye, and that remained very similar well past the year 2000. This clip is just audio, and shows so clearly what I'm talking about, and notice how well this plays as just a radio play! The music and dialogue when Liz is telling Suzanne about how people can come back to the homes they lived in after they have died, trying to find peace. It's so good it makes your skin crawl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tubm0lr0-XM

One big question I have for you, is this: Do you feel that soap might benefit from going back to 30 minutes? I feel in today's society, perhaps a 60 minute soap is too much of a time committment for most people, how do you feel about it, and do you think it would save enough money to make some shows more viable for a longer time? I have a fear that in 10 years, daytime will be nothing but talk shows, judge shows, a game show or two, and about half infomercials.

Soul Sister
03-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Thank you, soulster & misty.

I kinda get that he would be spiritual, he's sexy too, lol!!
Would be great to see him work more. Great actor, I agree.

S.S.

jillfoster
03-01-2013, 07:45 PM
Well, i'm not that into soaps. I just watch 'em.

This isn't part of your game, but the situation with Victoria Rowell and Y&R has been full of drama.

Soulster, what's your take on the situation? I think she has paranoia issues, myself.

zebop
03-02-2013, 01:58 AM
A few independent films, couple of guest appearances on B&B. Really fine actor who should be working more. Also a genuinely nice person. Very spiritual guy.

He's very cool.

This brings up an interesting issue in some soaps.

The Eden and Cruz characters didn't bother anyone because it was a Latino and White person. Now, I don't know about most soaps, but on my soap of choice, Black men and White women never get together unless the characters are seriously flawed and/or the relationship is doomed. Seems to me that the 21st century still has yet to hit these writers and/or the audiences. It seems to me like the writers want to "go there", but they back off every time. They'll for Black women/White men, or even gay couples, but not that 'other" one.

Sadly a lot of the viewers don't seem to like it. On message board they often whine and complain about the very idea of it. On DOOL when it looked like Abe and Kayla were going to hang out, people didn't like it. They also had a crying fit over an ATWT story with Doc Reese/Jessica/Margo. Not surprisingly when the show ended, the cast seemed to be completely white--something that was truly shocking in this day and age.

soulster
03-02-2013, 09:15 AM
Sadly a lot of the viewers don't seem to like it. On message board they often whine and complain about the very idea of it. On DOOL when it looked like Abe and Kayla were going to hang out, people didn't like it. They also had a crying fit over an ATWT story with Doc Reese/Jessica/Margo. Not surprisingly when the show ended, the cast seemed to be completely white--something that was truly shocking in this day and age.

It's kind of interesting that Hollywood would force every other thing on the viewers except that. C'mon! You know a lot of them would bellyache about gay relationships but you still see a lot of them on the screen, healthy ones, too.

From the message boards I read, the complaints were almost always exclusively from the south. So, why can't these people be dragged into the 21st century? Or...maybe it's the writers and producers who have a problem with it. There is still a lot of racism in the TV industry.

jillfoster
03-02-2013, 12:11 PM
It's kind of interesting that Hollywood would force every other thing on the viewers except that. C'mon! You know a lot of them would bellyache about gay relationships but you still see a lot of them on the screen, healthy ones, too.

From the message boards I read, the complaints were almost always exclusively from the south. So, why can't these people be dragged into the 21st century? Or...maybe it's the writers and producers who have a problem with it. There is still a lot of racism in the TV industry.

Well, some of it goes deeper. There's some unhinged people out there. [[on Y&R) back in the late 90's, when Neil and Victoria were invovled, Kristoff St. John and Heather Tom received threats during that storyline.... I am told that is one of the main reasons it ended.

misty
03-02-2013, 04:17 PM
Hey jillfoster. I agree with you about production values. One of the things I love about B&B is how beautiful it is to watch. Brad Bell really believes in exteriors opening up the show - and the houses we use for location shoots are usually his! Saves money.
I was never a fan of JPF's musical choices, but she takes a lot of pride in them. Whatever.
Re 30 minute format - It would definitely save money. The newly rebooted AMC and OLTL are both 30 minutes, I believe. I could be wrong. On the other hand, there's a bit of a resurgence in soaps' popularity right now, so if we can hang on to that upswing - it might not matter. There's a lot to be said for the 30 minute format though. It moves right along, no time for stuff that doesn't matter.

jillfoster
03-02-2013, 05:42 PM
Hey jillfoster. I agree with you about production values. One of the things I love about B&B is how beautiful it is to watch. Brad Bell really believes in exteriors opening up the show - and the houses we use for location shoots are usually his! Saves money.
I was never a fan of JPF's musical choices, but she takes a lot of pride in them. Whatever.
Re 30 minute format - It would definitely save money. The newly rebooted AMC and OLTL are both 30 minutes, I believe. I could be wrong. On the other hand, there's a bit of a resurgence in soaps' popularity right now, so if we can hang on to that upswing - it might not matter. There's a lot to be said for the 30 minute format though. It moves right along, no time for stuff that doesn't matter.

I totally agree, Brad's exterior shots are always so bright and beautiful, flowers abound in those exteriors, just lovely. the 30 minute format is something that Bill Bell himself didn't want to leave, he flat out refused, but CBS strong armed him into it.

soulster
03-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Well, some of it goes deeper. There's some unhinged people out there. [[on Y&R) back in the late 90's, when Neil and Victoria were invovled, Kristoff St. John and Heather Tom received threats during that storyline.... I am told that is one of the main reasons it ended.

Death threats. Many, many actors get death threats for a variety of reasons, and it didn't stop them from doing what they do. On top of that, someone should have made an effort to track these people down and arrest them. Since they have mixed couple on other soaps, methinks there were people on the inside that just didn't want it. They backed off too easily. Haters gonna hate!

zebop
03-03-2013, 05:26 PM
I think it's a combination of both. I just don't think a lot of those folks in that old boy's network wanted to see interracial dating or an ethnic leading man. I can think of many instances where it was feasible--but didn't happen and sadly it's often to the detriment of character development, ratings and simply moving forward.

misty
03-03-2013, 06:43 PM
I can't speak specifically to that incident, as I wasn't involved with that show. But my experience has been it's not so much the old boy's network [[actually, the daytime divisions of most networks were being run by women at that point) or conscious hating. More of an apathy that became harder and harder to penetrate. I mean, I never heard an edict from the network that we couldn't put black men with white women or play an interracial couple. But I think the failure of Generations - which was a bi-racial show both in front of and behind the cameras and a grand experiment - made it easier for the networks to justify not putting black people front and center. [[Well, it was there and nobody watched so...)

Side note and credit where it's due: When Claire Labine came on to headwrite GH, she promptly created a black family - the Wards - and connected them to the Quartermaines. That kept them on the front burner for years. Eventually, through regime changes, they disappeared but she did do that and the network didn't object.

zebop
03-04-2013, 03:13 AM
That's very interesting. I remember Generations, I liked it, it was probably on a few years too soon. In the world, some things seemed to change very quickly from say 1990 to 1992-93. Really the problem for me in Generations were [[ha!) some of the white characters. I couldn't bare them. I was watching a clip and I had forgotten that James Reynolds was over there for a while....

Yep, the Wards, they were very well executed. Regime changes...that's a thing that's often forgotten about...

misty
03-04-2013, 03:49 PM
That's why I always thought, too, zebop. Generations was ahead of its time. I'll tell you what though - it was a great show to work on. My first staff job in daytime. Sally Sussman who created and headwrote it was a fantastic mentor. She encouraged me to come to layout meetings [[script writers usually don't) and learn how it all comes together. Her philosophy was - there was no such thing as a dumb idea, because it might lead to something brilliant. And there was a feeling of family there like I've never experienced before because we were underdogs. Living under the constant threat of cancellation but we believed in what we were doing and that made us close. Vivica Fox is still one of my best friends. Great experience. Too bad it didn't last.

jillfoster
03-05-2013, 10:45 AM
Yeah, Generations had some real memorable entertainment.. LOVE this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqJhp6fScQk

zebop
03-05-2013, 04:14 PM
That's why I always thought, too, zebop. Generations was ahead of its time. I'll tell you what though - it was a great show to work on. My first staff job in daytime. Sally Sussman who created and headwrote it was a fantastic mentor. She encouraged me to come to layout meetings [[script writers usually don't) and learn how it all comes together. Her philosophy was - there was no such thing as a dumb idea, because it might lead to something brilliant. And there was a feeling of family there like I've never experienced before because we were underdogs. Living under the constant threat of cancellation but we believed in what we were doing and that made us close. Vivica Fox is still one of my best friends. Great experience. Too bad it didn't last.

The show had really good energy. I remember reading about Sally Sussman in People magazine when the show was just debuting. Vivica was very good on the show, she and Kristoff St. John made a nice couple.

Yeah, Generations had some real memorable entertainment.. LOVE this.

Heh, nice clip, I knew Kristoff St. John was going to be the one who found them.

misty
03-05-2013, 07:48 PM
jillfoster - I wrote that script! LOL

jillfoster
03-06-2013, 12:55 AM
That's just so good, I never get tired of seeing it! "Come get me, BITCH!"... and "Let go of my hair, or I'll make you eat it!". I bet that scene was a toughie to block.

GrtGzu
03-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Hi MVJ!! Been watchin' GH back when Lucille was running the 7th floor Nurse's Station, LOL!!! Me and my soapbuds have been following you [[and we could tell when it was you that wrote particular dialogue, LOL!) ever since your name first showed up in the closing credits.. I can't wait til these transplants from OLTL are gone - to me it was just awful to stick them in PC - [[I hate "crossovers" - they never work for me)....I also hate this stupid "vampire" SL..Stopped watching PC when they first introduced it, and was glad when it finally got cancelled......I'm glad to see the "vets" coming back to GH though....But can you tell me what happened to the character of Lucas, Bobbie and Tony's son? He went to camp and never came back?

misty
03-06-2013, 04:14 PM
jillfoster - Thanks! That was so much fun to write. I remember when they taped it, all work stopped in the writers room and we all just stared in disbelief. I mean, they seriously tore that set up! LOL!

Hi GrtGzu. Lucille! I remember her. Used to watch with my grandmother. And Jesse Brewer with her blue cardigan.
I have to give Ron & Frank credit. Before they took over, GH was going off the cliff and when that happens, it's almost impossible to pull it back. So love what they're doing or hate it - at least the show is relevant again. We don't want to lose any more. And I agree - it's great to see the vets. Balances things out a bit.
As for Lucas - I guess it's sort of like that kid on AMC who went up to the attic for skis and never came back down. I honestly don't remember what happened to Lucas.
And thanks for the support. :)

misty
03-10-2013, 05:12 PM
In all my years on GH, this was probably my most satisfying moment as a writer. Be warned: terrible video quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeOYg43DdIw&feature=share

soulster
03-10-2013, 06:51 PM
In all my years on GH, this was probably my most satisfying moment as a writer. Be warned: terrible video quality.

Wow! You really got inside that guy's head! That's good writing!

zebop
03-15-2013, 05:39 PM

That was great writing, I enjoyed that, it really snapped him back into focus as "Luke"with the range and baggage that character has. Geary did a great job acting it too.

misty
03-22-2013, 02:01 PM
Thanks zebop & soulster. Glad you enjoyed it. Yes, Tony was fantastic.

If you're interested and have about a half hour, here's an interview I did yesterday, mostly about GH because of the 50th anniversary, but other stuff too.

http://daytimeconfidential.zap2it.com/2013/03/22/dc-713-exclusive-michele-val-jean-reflects-on-gh50-and-career-in-soaps

zebop
03-22-2013, 09:02 PM
Thanks zebop & soulster. Glad you enjoyed it. Yes, Tony was fantastic.

If you're interested and have about a half hour, here's an interview I did yesterday, mostly about GH because of the 50th anniversary, but other stuff too.

http://daytimeconfidential.zap2it.com/2013/03/22/dc-713-exclusive-michele-val-jean-reflects-on-gh50-and-career-in-soaps

You're welcome :) That sounds great Misty I'll be sure to check that out.

GrtGzu
03-25-2013, 09:21 AM
Very nice podcast Misty!!!!! I still think Guza, oh well nevermind.....

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
03-25-2013, 02:55 PM
What a great interview, MistyGirl!!! I loved it. You have a great laugh and you gave a lot of good insight. I so agree with your comments at the end about "Revenge", Scandal", etc., being soaps. It's ironic ABC has 3 good nightime ones with "Scandal", "Revenge" & "Nashville". They're ratings hits for the network. Too bad ABC was so short sighted when they cancelled "All My Childen" & "One Life To Live". If they have any sense, they'll bring them back to the network where they belong. So superior to cooking and talk shows.

"Dallas" is back on TNT, yet another soap. You and everyone involved in bringing us daytime dramas over the years deserve so much credit for taking on contoversial subjects long before nightime TV touched them. You were and are groundbreakers with much of the best acting and writing on TV in the daytime soaps.

As a fan, I want more, not less, and I hope the networks will keep coming at us with more nightime soaps.

I have to post the link to your interview on my FB page. So proud of you, My Friend.:cool:

~~Mary~~

GrtGzu
03-25-2013, 05:56 PM
You watching the Dallas Reboot too Mary??? Join the club...I've been WELDED to the tv on Mon. nights now....I still remember when me and my cousin RACED home to her house when the original aired back in the 80's, lol!!

Now I have to watch on Mondays, and still go back and do the On Demand thing by the weekend to "go over some things".....I'm really enjoying it...

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
03-25-2013, 06:36 PM
Hi GrtGzu,

I'm watching "Dallas" when I remember on Monday nights. lol The reason being the real housewives shows on Bravo are my guilty pleasure. Talk about soap operas!! Those shows are the real thing. hahahaha They come on opposite each other, so I try to catch "Dallas" later in the evening when they repeat it.

~~Mary~~

Soul Sister
03-26-2013, 05:14 PM
Great Interviw, Misty!
Loved the story about your Mom & Rosalind Cash. She was an amazing actress, loved her presence on the big screen, all the way back to "Klute". She had a prolific career.

I LOVED "Santa Barbara" and missed it when it went off the air.

I've been saying to Mary for months; "What the heck is ABC doing?!" They have the '3 top network shows' yet they keep cutting them off and putting on repeats instead of new episodes. GEEZ! "Revenge" is the bomb!!!!!!!!!! :)

Guuurl............you need to write that book starting with the music biz in the 1960's at the Regal Theater. [[Oh, yea!)

Keep up the great work. I'll be looking for you on the B & B.

{{{BIG HUGS}}},
S.S.

zebop
03-28-2013, 03:05 PM
I really liked that podcast Misty, love hearing about the Dobsons.

And I checked out Bold and the Beautiful. That's a really good show. I saw a scene with 4 or 5 black actors and couldn't believe how authentic and not corny the characters were. Only if another soaps had done that.

misty
03-28-2013, 04:11 PM
Thanks you guys for listening. I don't usually do interviews anymore but the GH 50th seemed like a good reason. So glad you liked it.
zebop - so happy you're enjoying B&B. It's a little powerhouse of a show. Proud to be on it. And I agree - our black characters are very real.
soul sister - Right. The book. LOL! When I retire.
mary - thanks for posting it on your fb page. I have a feeling ABC might be feeling a little dumb right now about cancelling AMC & OLTL. They lost a lot of viewers in those hours and now there's all this excitement around the reboot. Then again, they stand to make billions off what Prospect Park is doing - so they're probably not crying too hard.

Soul Sister
03-29-2013, 04:02 PM
Just watching B & B, cracked-up....love the line "Rick, life's a bitch so why would you want to be with one!" HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AA!!!

Misty, did you write that?

:),
S.S.

GrtGzu
04-01-2013, 07:40 AM
Hey Misty - I heard [[rather read) that the Prospect Park thing is a bust, and some of the actors are coming back to GH under different characters!....I can't IMAGING how they're gonna pull this off...

But I've been having a BALL watching the GH 50th anniversary all this past weekend....It was nice to catch up with some things, since I never purchased the GH Bible....

misty
04-01-2013, 03:54 PM
GrtGzu, the Prospect Park thing is very much a go. They've got the first AMC episodes in the can and are taping OLTL right now. [[they'll be alternating). The thing with the GH actors is a licensing matter. PP owns the rights to the OLTL characters those actors have been portraying on GH and they want them back. ABC owns the contracts with the actors - who don't want to leave GH. So the compromise was - they could stay on GH, only they'd have to be different characters since McBain, Todd and Starr are critical to OLTL. Hope that made sense. It's crazy but that's what's going on. And the fans know about it and are willing to accept whatever, as long as they get their cancelled soaps back and are able to keep seeing Roger Howath, Michael Easton and Starr Anderson [[Alderson?) on GH.

misty
04-01-2013, 03:55 PM
No, SS. That wasn't me. Funny though. :)

misty
04-02-2013, 03:26 PM
From the One Life To Live Continues fb page:

Every One you can watch the new OLTL starting on April 29th at 12pm on these sites on-line:

Free: Hulu.com

Pay: HuluPlus.com

Pay: Itunes.com

misty
04-02-2013, 04:02 PM
All My Children starts on the same date with the same options to view.

zebop
04-02-2013, 05:43 PM
Thanks Misty. I've got to say this is so crazy, great but crazy. I'm glad they are able to do this, both shows still have life in them.

mickeymac
04-02-2013, 07:04 PM
I've seen some of the new Dallas. Its not bad, but I am curious to see how long it will last now that Larry Hagman is gone.

Needless to say the original Dallas is a classic. I miss that show.

marv2
04-04-2013, 08:12 PM
Does anyone here watch and follow "Coronation Street"?

zebop
04-09-2013, 01:50 AM
I've seen some of the new Dallas. Its not bad, but I am curious to see how long it will last now that Larry Hagman is gone.

Needless to say the original Dallas is a classic. I miss that show.

Oddly enough, I only liked the season without Bobby and the one with Donna Reed as Miss Ellie. Crazy I know. I don't know what they are do without Larry Hagman, it's a shame.

Does anyone here watch and follow "Coronation Street"?

I'm in the US I don't think they've shown episodes here.

zebop
04-11-2013, 03:06 PM
Misty, I can't believe I'm seeing Frozen Starvos on GL. How does that happen. Sadly enough, I liked that character. I also caught the GH 50th Anniversary and heard about Jennifer Bransford hitting Kelly Monaco with a real stick? Nice... Now I see more reason why Laura Wright took over the role.

On B&B, I really like the show, it's so cool how the characters are entwined in one another's storylines. I remember seeing Karla Mosley on GL and she really wasn't ever on enough, nice to see her used a lot, she's really good.

misty
04-29-2013, 03:13 PM
They're ba-a-a-a-ck! Still can't believe Prospect Park pulled it off, but glad they did. Welcome back, All My Children & One Life To Live!

http://www.hulu.com/tv/popular/episodes

misty
05-01-2013, 11:43 PM
JiveFiveMaryG often tells me I don't give myself enough credit. So here I am - tooting my own horn. I'm so excited to let you know that today I was nominated with the writing team of B&B for a Daytime Emmy. It's my first nomination with this show and I'm thrilled. [[though it does feel a little surreal, not being nominated with General Hospital). Not only do I absolutely love the show and my B&B family, my boss Brad Bell gives THE BEST parties. So even a lose is a win!

zebop
05-06-2013, 11:18 PM
Congratulations Misty!

misty
05-09-2013, 03:41 PM
Thanks, zebop!

Soul Sister
05-28-2013, 03:17 PM
Today's tribute to Jeanne Cooper was moving. I'd like to know the name of the standard song sung in the background while they were showing photo's from her earlier Hollywood days.
Anyone know the name of that song?

S.S.

GrtGzu
06-03-2013, 02:27 PM
Hey Misty! Can you help me with something re: GH?

How is Jason Franco's brother? I thought Jason was the result of Susan Moore and Alan Quartermaine, and Monica raised him as a Q after Susan died or something...How is Heather Franco's mama?

soulster
06-04-2013, 12:44 AM
Hi Misty [[BTW, I had the jones for this girl named Misty a couple of dozen years ago),

I did check out B&B a few times recently. And, while the stories are meaty, I just couldn't get back into the show. Maybe it's just because I have been so busy. I don't know.

misty
06-06-2013, 03:33 PM
GrtGzu - I have no idea! That's a whole different regime over there from when I wrote for the show. When Guza created Franco, there was no intention of making him Jason's twin and I don't keep up with it anymore.

GrtGzu
06-06-2013, 07:23 PM
That's ok - I found out the next day - and you're better off not knowing....I'm just stunned how history keeps being re-written without consideration of the fact that there are fans who still REMEMBER how it first "went down".....

I'm kinda tired of my intelligence being insulted, especially since I've had so many years invested in this soap....[["Long Live Lucille March"!- the original OG of the 7th Floor Nurses Station!)...

But the way that they brought RoHo back into this, is just beyond - oh I can't..I just can't...

misty
06-07-2013, 03:27 PM
What puzzles me is Franco was a fly-by-night shot in the dark character in the first place. The only reason he was created was because James Franco decided he wanted to dip into soaps and our EP and the network got all excited about it. Of course he had to be 'edgy' so Guza came up with this artist/serial killer. He was never supposed to be redeemable or even around very long. So why they'd saddle RH with this role is beyond me. But he's such a good actor, he just might pull it off.

Soul Sister
06-14-2013, 06:58 PM
Good Luck at the Emmy Awards, Misty!!!

S.S.

misty
06-15-2013, 03:25 PM
Thanks, S.S.! Really looking forward to it. :)

JIVE FIVE Mary G.
06-17-2013, 12:18 PM
CONGRATULATIONS MISTY on your latest Emmy win for writing. So well deserved, My Friend. Your new position with B&B has brought you even more success and much happiness. I'm sooooooooooooo proud of you. Hope you'll post some photos from last night's award show. I saw some on Facebook, and you look BEAUTIFUL!!!

~~Mary~~

Soul Sister
06-17-2013, 01:19 PM
CONGRATULATIONS, MISTY!!!!

I am so happy for you.

{{{HUGS}}},
S.S.

misty
06-17-2013, 02:24 PM
Thank you, my friends. It was a fabulous night and I had a blast. Now I'm turning back into a pumpkin. Script due today! :)

midnight johnny
06-17-2013, 09:49 PM
I am just glad that the Best Daytime Drama award finally went to the MUCH DESERVED "Days Of Our lives" and Chandler Massey for his Emmy win for his role of Will Horton...an amazing young actor!

zebop
06-29-2013, 02:08 AM
Congratulations Misty!

misty
07-01-2013, 02:25 PM
Thanks, zebop! Great night. :)

jillfoster
09-01-2013, 12:50 PM
OK... this just came up on youtube, it's so funny you all will pee yourselves!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYaLhxPcN5g