PDA

View Full Version : What Recording Would You Like Played At Your Funeral?

test

Methuselah2
02-04-2013, 07:07 PM
It's not as morbid a question as it may seem.
Reportedly, it's one of the most often specified items in a person's burial instructions.

I'd start off with
Jackie Moore/THIS TIME BABY [1979].
I've gotten up to dance to this one even in the worst of circumstances.

And end with
The Marvelettes/THIS NIGHT [[aka TONIGHT) WAS MADE FOR LOVE [1967].
The Marvelettes with Gladys Horton on lead here, accompanied by The Funk Bros. and, I presume, a sprinkling of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra's strings, and sweetened to perfection by the celestial voices of The Andantes. As I cha-cha my way out.

ralpht
02-04-2013, 07:14 PM
Wow, this is a tough one Methuselah. I need to think on it.

144man
02-04-2013, 08:06 PM
Lorraine Ellison - I Dig You Baby

blueskies
02-04-2013, 09:11 PM
"Is That All There Is?" by Peggy Lee......God, I must be in a depressed mood!

Jerry Oz
02-04-2013, 09:42 PM
I have to think about this one. I'm thinking about "Golden Time of Day" by Maze, for one. Another would be Annie Lennox's "Into the West", but I really don't want people to cry at my funeral and that song makes me cry in the best of times; so maybe not. But I have to come up with the definitive list.

oldiesmusicfan
02-04-2013, 10:44 PM
Happy choice -
Prop Me Up Beside The Jukebox [[If I Die) - Joe Diffie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCiKxjZTa2I

Sad choice -
This link has two versions together, one by the Bee Gees [[who wrote it) and Percy Sledge [[the version I want)
A Lonely Violin - Percy Sledge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcFWcB9Z7Dw

Or -
Vincent by Don McLean -
And though this one refers to a suicide, the words are nevertheless very touching "this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you." Lover of nature that I am, the song fits.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dipFMJckZOM

Oldies

sophisticated_soul
02-04-2013, 11:41 PM
"Someday We'll Be Together" [[the version that opens with the tambourine) - Diana/Supremes

Many years ago I attended a funeral where "Somewhere" by Barbra Streisand and "From A Distance" by Bette Midler were played. It was actually a very touching moment.

Methuselah2
02-05-2013, 03:07 AM
"Someday We'll Be Together" [[the version that opens with the tambourine) - Diana/Supremes

Many years ago I attended a funeral where "Somewhere" by Barbra Streisand and "From A Distance" by Bette Midler were played. It was actually a very touching moment.

Wait a second, Sophisticated Soul. Just one second. No Etta James' AT LAST? Somebody open up that casket. Quick! I don't think he's in there!

sophisticated_soul
02-05-2013, 03:37 AM
Wait a second, Sophisticated Soul. Just one second. No Etta James' AT LAST? Somebody open up that casket. Quick! I don't think he's in there!

LOL! I do love my Etta, but Diana is my #1. I honestly don't know what song I would have played because I don't want a funeral. I'm going to be cremated and scattered at sea. So maybe "Sea Cruise"?:)

Methuselah2
02-05-2013, 03:59 AM
I'm with you! Like the song says: "Ooo-wee, ooo-wee baby!" Words to live by . . . er, whatever.

144man
02-05-2013, 07:43 AM
Being serious, unlike my last submission, I would choose "Reach Out I'll Be There". I would like my relatives and friends to take strength from the thought that I was giving them what help I could from beyond the grave.

westgrandboulevard
02-05-2013, 07:57 AM
Then I'll be hoping you took your credit card with you.....:)

As for the recording I'd like played at my own funeral, I'll have whatever Berry Gordy has....

soulster
02-05-2013, 08:39 PM
I have ledt instructions for my family to play all 60s, 70s, and early 80s music from my collection. I don't want any of that slow, sad crap. I want people to party!

smark21
02-05-2013, 09:56 PM
I haven’t given it much thought. Maybe “Dead Souls” by Joy Division?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhEm4S-4v_U

Shaqueetha_Jackson
02-05-2013, 11:49 PM
What is the thing with soulful detroit members death and funrals

theboyfromxtown
02-06-2013, 01:52 AM
Many years ago, I attended a cremation and it was really a sad event. Suddenly, out booms Shirley Bassey's "Hey Big Spender"!! It was just so NOT RIGHT. I made a hasty exit as soon as I could.

I would want "Reflections" - the song has lived with me since 1967 and I want my original 45 buried with me.

soulster
02-06-2013, 03:20 AM
They're all realizing their mortality.:D

144man
02-06-2013, 07:38 PM

There is no reason why death and funerals should be a tabu subject.

smark21
02-06-2013, 09:00 PM
It shouldn’t be taboo, but there are some members here who seem to get off on death and funerals.

smark21
02-06-2013, 09:01 PM
Many years ago, I attended a cremation and it was really a sad event. Suddenly, out booms Shirley Bassey's "Hey Big Spender"!! It was just so NOT RIGHT. I made a hasty exit as soon as I could.

I would want "Reflections" - the song has lived with me since 1967 and I want my original 45 buried with me.

Maybe your friend requested the song? It’s certainly an odd request. Did your friend enjoy performing mindfucks in his life? Maybe that’s why Hey Big Spender was played? It certainly made for an interesting and memorable service.

blueskies
02-06-2013, 09:10 PM

Tis a fact of life.....those funrals.

Methuselah2
02-06-2013, 09:22 PM
There's always the possibility that a particular recording gets played simply because the deceased liked it, wanted it, or even maybe someone thought the deceased would have loved that it was played. Maybe no subliminal message attached at all. Sort of "When I go, it's comin' with me." Simply because it meant something to that particular person. But who knows for certain? I know I wouldn't like to hear something played that I knew the deceased would never have approved of.

Soul Sister
02-06-2013, 10:36 PM
"Someone To Watch Over Me" ~ Jimmy Scott
"Heaven" ~ Jimmy Scott
"Take My Hand, Oh Precious Lord" ~ Jimmy Scott
"My Buddy" ~ Jackie Wilson
"Danny Boy" ~ Jackie Wilson

S.S.

edafan
02-08-2013, 08:23 PM
On the same subject
My beautiful wife, Cecilia Rose,
passed away April 16, 2012.
Her last words on earth were said to me.
thank you Gladys Knight
Her last words were
"You're the best thing that
ever happened to me."

WOW

edafan

ralpht
02-08-2013, 09:24 PM
That's beautiful, edafan.

Soul Sister
02-08-2013, 10:26 PM
Really sweet and touching, edafan.

I'm sure she is watching over you.

S.S.

edafan
02-09-2013, 11:27 AM
Thanks everyone
especially Ralph and Soul Sister

A couple of other songs I play alot

Traces by Dennis Yost and the Classics IV
but I change the line into
"Traces of Love long ago that DID work out right."
and
Frank Sinatra's
"Softly As I Leave You."
2 other stories around her last day on earth.
After she passed at 3:20 pm,
everyone left the room.
The last person out said to me,
"You don't want to stay"
to which I replied,
"Oh Yes I do"
The funeral director came.
I stepped out into the hallway.
He brought her out in the body bag.
I said to him
"Where is her head?" He pointed.
I held her head all the way down those 3 corridors
until we put her into the hearse.
My son, my daughter and I gave her an honor guard,
which she rightly deserved for all she did for us.
My neighbor lowered his american flag to
half mast for 2 days in her honor. She tutored his daughter
for a year for no pay just to help her.

edafan

arrr&bee
02-12-2013, 12:55 PM
Whoa,what the 411 is this about????well knowing me i'll be too drunk to attend!!!

Soul Sister
02-12-2013, 01:32 PM
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
Some things never change around here! ;)

Wasssup D.C.'s "R & B"?!

S.S.

arrr&bee
02-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Hey sis,it's so nice to have you home,how's jimmy? I'm still around[ralph let's me sleep it off out back,hehehe]glad you're home sis!!!

Soul Sister
02-12-2013, 02:43 PM
Thank you, R & B, Nice to see you & my other old friends here.
Jimmy is fine, thanks. Preparing for a new CD in the near future and enjoying our Las Vegas weather.

You're stil a riot, R & B....I'm sure Ralph will let you chillax it off. :D

Have a great day,
S.S.

ralpht
02-12-2013, 03:12 PM
Are you kidding, S.S.? I've learned to step around him with barely skipping a beat.

Soul Sister
02-13-2013, 03:39 AM
:cool: tee heee---Ralph!

S.S.

mark speck
02-17-2013, 01:58 AM
Just play my iPod on shuffle...it's one of those that holds 40,000 songs. I have over 7,000 on it now and I'm still adding music.

I went to the funeral of a family friend a few years back, and they were playing Croatian music at the funeral over a boombox. I thought that was pretty neat.

Best,

Mark