PDA

View Full Version : Excellent Rare Dionne Warwick Video!

test

marv2
02-01-2013, 06:58 PM
This is one I have not seen before. Dionne and "Walk On By" video filmed in Paris in 1964. Very artistic....ahead of it's time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0EA7a5LqDg

Methuselah2
02-02-2013, 02:17 AM
Pretty amazing stuff, Marv. A truly great find. Dionne looks terrific--that remarkably sculptured face off-set against her wind-blown hair and casual clothes and even more casual attitude. Mod, pop, abstract--all beautifully stirred up with Dionne in the center with nothing but white guys surrounding her to heighten the effect, I suppose. It's really an amazing video. Definitely of the period but absolutely fascination to watch now, almost 50 years later. This is a very special treat. Top-notch post, Marv. Thank you.

jaybs
02-02-2013, 06:22 AM
Thanks Marv! the Lady is just a pure Gem! and she gets better with time, great to see a video like this from the mid 60's Superb!

splanky
02-02-2013, 06:34 AM
Pretty amazing stuff, Marv. A truly great find. Dionne looks terrific--that remarkably sculptured face off-set against her wind-blown hair and casual clothes and even more casual attitude. Mod, pop, abstract--all beautifully stirred up with Dionne in the center with nothing but white guys surrounding her to heighten the effect, I suppose. It's really an amazing video. Definitely of the period but absolutely fascination to watch now, almost 50 years later. This is a very special treat. Top-notch post, Marv. Thank you.

What he said!...
This is the kind of stuff I wish there was more of posted on the forum and discussed. Thanks
for that....

Kamasu_Jr
02-02-2013, 11:01 AM
We discussed that particular video back in December in a thread for Dionne's birthday I believe. I posted it. It's on a Dionne Warwick DVD.

skooldem1
02-02-2013, 11:09 AM
I thought I was in the twilight zone, cause I remember this video just being discussed a month or so ago. Just goes to show that people are so consumed with looking for artist and threads about certain artist to complain about, than to actually look around and comment on "other" topics.

splanky
02-02-2013, 11:53 AM
I thought I was in the twilight zone, cause I remember this video just being discussed a month or so ago. Just goes to show that people are so consumed with looking for artist and threads about certain artist to complain about, than to actually look around and comment on "other" topics.

Or maybe some of us just simply missed it in the midst of juggling wading through so much
junk on the net with living our personal lives, huh?...Wilt thou forgive me for not seeing it
and your comments the day it was first posted, oh please, Lord Skooldem...
like I give a sh*t:).....

marv2
02-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Your'e welcome Methuselah, Jaybs and Splanky!
I had never seen this before and it doesn't matter to me if it's been discussed last year, I didn't know about it. This video shows me that Dionne could have easily done more acting. She is simply great with her facial expressions, etc. Strangely [[or maybe not) , but I didn' t notice that they all the guys in the video were white the first time I watched it. It wasn't until someone pointed that out. It was filmed in France so it makes sense that they used local guys for the film. Did you notice all the guys nervously figgeting with their hats as Dionne walked in their direction? LOL~!

This is one of those old "Scopitone" videos that were very popular in France in the 50's and 60's.

Methuselah2
02-02-2013, 10:18 PM
Gosh, I just can't get enough of this superlative video. It starts off with just Dionne and that great tune--a whole show in and of itself. In Paris, no less! But then the great stylization of the video kicks in as the camera closes up on Dionne when suddenly, unexpectedly, she starts walking backwards. The stylization is as overwhelmingly beautiful as Dionne's own gorgeously stylized face. For me, watching her face here is like looking at art. But she's just walking on by. And the men are just standing by before they start to walk on by, too. But Dionne is like a beautiful silk ribbon, carefree and merely weaving through and around the guys in her own world as they become completely entangled in the unavoidable effect of Dionne herself. Dionne is still just walking on by but the guys, in the end, are now walking right behind her, after her. I tip my hat to Dionne, Bacharach & David, the creators of this video, and to Marv who didn't let this one walk on by me. This stark and seemingly simplistic video to me at first glance is as complex and mesmerizing as all get-out. I'm completely entangled in it.

marv2
02-03-2013, 10:26 AM
Dionne is from an era when singers, musicians and artists in general were not only very talented, but classy! The simplicity of the video is what makes it work for me. There are no fireworks going off or anyone shaking their junk. It makes it enjoyable watching some 49 years later. The song "Walk On By" is timeless.

Methuselah2
02-03-2013, 11:13 AM
I'm trying to search out info on the video but so far all I've found isthat it was done for French TV and filmed on the roof of La Maison de la Radio a' Paris.

In the process, this brief piece of a live performance of ANYONE WHO HAD A HEART popped up. Also from 1964.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_uHxlY6RnA

marv2
02-03-2013, 12:00 PM
I'm trying to search out info on the video but so far all I've found isthat it was done for French TV and filmed on the roof of La Maison de la Radio a' Paris.

In the process, this brief piece of a live performance of ANYONE WHO HAD A HEART popped up. Also from 1964.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_uHxlY6RnA

Methuselah, I learned that it was also done for Scopitone:

http://scopitonearchive.com/

Methuselah2
02-03-2013, 07:19 PM
That is one terrific link, Marv. It lists a ton of things I was surprised to see, things I had no idea had a Scopitone. Thanks for the post. It's got me goin' in every which direction to see what I can find. The hunt is on!

glencro
02-05-2013, 10:08 AM
Great video. Thanx for posting. I wonder if it ever aired in the US during those times.

marv2
02-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Great video. Thanx for posting. I wonder if it ever aired in the US during those times.

Seriously? I doubt it.........

They made another one in France for the song "Walk On By" that could have been shown on American television:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-RNGIYbd1w

stephanie
02-05-2013, 11:32 AM
One of the best Scopitones I have ever seen they are usually kind of corny. Dionne looks like Whitney here. Wow she is walking around all of these white guys but they dont look at things like this in Paris back then. Never would you see something like this made in the US at the time. When I see the guys sitting still it reminds me of how they made the girls look like mannequins on Hullaballoo. Marv thanks for this because I missed it the first time around.

mr_june
02-05-2013, 01:16 PM
We discussed that particular video back in December in a thread for Dionne's birthday I believe. I posted it. It's on a Dionne Warwick DVD.

Kamasu which Warwick DVD is this on?

marv2
02-05-2013, 02:06 PM
One of the best Scopitones I have ever seen they are usually kind of corny. Dionne looks like Whitney here. Wow she is walking around all of these white guys but they dont look at things like this in Paris back then. Never would you see something like this made in the US at the time. When I see the guys sitting still it reminds me of how they made the girls look like mannequins on Hullaballoo. Marv thanks for this because I missed it the first time around.

Stephanie do you remember the big hub bub made over Petulia Clark holding Harry Belafonte's arm on television in 1967? This video certainly would not have been accepted in America sad as it is to say.....