PDA

View Full Version : Finders Keepers .. Motown Girls 1961-1967 ACE Records March Release

test

booty
01-31-2013, 02:59 PM
Coming from Ace in March!!!! Is this set gonna include Anita Knorl. Apparently there are around 12 unreleased tracks on this.

RossHolloway
01-31-2013, 03:08 PM
Very interesting..I've never seen that photo of the Velvelettes before..very nice.

theboyfromxtown
01-31-2013, 03:09 PM
I LOVE the cover!

Kamasu_Jr
01-31-2013, 03:12 PM
Wonder if this disc will include some of the tracks from Motown/Unreleased Girls 1952?

blueskies
01-31-2013, 03:16 PM
Track listings?

kenneth
01-31-2013, 03:28 PM
Those look a lot like the dresses the Marvelettes [[as a trio) wore in one of their most famous photos...I'm sure one of the experts on this site will know whether or not that's true.

Roger Polhill
01-31-2013, 03:56 PM
Wonderful news. It looks like 2013 is going to be a great one for us fans. I`m fizzing.

Kamasu_Jr
01-31-2013, 04:03 PM
Those look a lot like the dresses the Marvelettes [[as a trio) wore in one of their most famous photos...I'm sure one of the experts on this site will know whether or not that's true.

They are not the same dresses. Hand-me-downs? That would have been just nasty.

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/48125847/The+Marvelettes+marvelettes7.jpg

longtimefan
01-31-2013, 04:27 PM
We will be going crazy until we get a track listing !!!!! LOL

This is almost like getting a new "Cellar Full of Motown!"

kenneth
01-31-2013, 05:35 PM

Thanks. At times, I have definitely thought that the wigs of various girl groups got passed around! Some of them are just too much alike, unless Motown bought them in quantities which I guess is also possible!

stopinthenameoflove
01-31-2013, 06:42 PM

I love that pic, Katherine looks absolutely amazing!

floyjoy678
01-31-2013, 08:33 PM
Is that Sandra Tilley? She really was a gorgeous woman. Anyone know how long she was with the Velvelettes? From what I understand they were over and done with by the time she became a Vandella.

blueskies
01-31-2013, 08:56 PM
Is that Sandra Tilley? She really was a gorgeous woman. Anyone know how long she was with the Velvelettes? From what I understand they were over and done with by the time she became a Vandella.

Yes, that's Sandra....but, who are the other two?

carole cucumber
01-31-2013, 09:59 PM
Wow! I've always seen that cover shot in black and white. Has the cover photo of Sandra Tilley, Cal Gill & Annette McMillan undergone a colorization process?

carole cucumber
01-31-2013, 10:24 PM
Keith's been leaning toward mono recently. If it includes artists like Anita Knorl & Thelma Brown, it's likely that all will be mono. Hmmh... the title is just "Finders Keepers". The Marvelettes recorded 'Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers' and Al Kent, 'Finders Keepers'. But this is a Motown Girls cd [[perhaps to tie in with the Motown Museum Girl Group exhibit) and the Marvelettes are listed first.
I hope that we'll be getting alternate versions of The Velvelettes' [[We've Got) Honey Love' and Brenda Holloway's 'Cryin' Time'. If not on this cd, perhaps on Vol 2 [[if this one does well enough).
And one mustn't discriminate. Here's hoping for Motown Guys in 2013....

longtimefan
02-01-2013, 01:32 AM
Plus, this sure came out if the blue!!! No rumors!!

keith_hughes
02-01-2013, 06:05 AM
Carole, my leanings are towards having all the tracks on a CD in the same mode, whether mono or stereo. And towards using original mixes, which means if the recording was made before 1965, the original mix will be mono. But that's a personal preference, not an Ace policy.

Longtimefan, this came out of the blue partly because Ace asked me to hold back the announcement a little longer. But I'm not going to deny it! I'll post the track list as soon as I get the OK - unless someone beats me to it ...

marv2
02-01-2013, 09:05 AM
Annette McMillian's daughter is a youtube member. She is very proud that her mother was one of the Velvelettes.

marv2
02-01-2013, 09:06 AM

Nasty? The Supremes did it all the time!

longtimefan
02-01-2013, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the information, Keith. I am just curious, however. Why would anyone care if the track listing were posted? Wouldn't that help boost interest, and hence, sales?

lakedistrictlad1
02-01-2013, 09:59 AM
Gorgeous cover. Is buy this even if there is nothing
'New' from the vaults. The fact it is ACE will mean its a great package.

marybrewster
02-01-2013, 10:21 AM
Thank you booty for posting this. The cover art alone makes this set worth purchasing. Is it March yet? :)

Ngroove
02-01-2013, 11:23 AM
Also waiting for such a collection myself...IF Carolyn Crawford is included in roster of collection, GUARANTEED buy from me...as long as it's less than $20, counting S+H, when bought from Amazon.

Kamasu_Jr
02-01-2013, 11:37 AM
I just hope the Supremes used panty shields and sweat guards. What if a Supreme decided to go commando one night to get a little breeze? All the dry cleaning in the world ain't gonna get rid of some things. That's just nasty!

A writer once said there was a certain Motown style that the female singers all prescribed to, except Diana and the Supremes [[they set the trends). So they sometimes tended to look the same. I think it's because they most likely bought wigs from the same place or used the same stylist and might have even used the same costume maker or bought wardrobe from the same shops. Apparently, some female singers outside Motown also copied the Motown look. I saw a picture of singer Laura Lee in a gown similar to one worn by the Supremes. I'm told it was common for some clothing stores in Detroit to display photographs of Motown artists [[and other labels) and tell customers that the "The Vandellas-Temptations buy their clothes here..."

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_6SAg7HKz6Yg/TSfxawzSkCI/AAAAAAAAAmI/_chAbPIvrfw/s1600/laura72.jpg

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/birmmail/feb2009/3/2/Image_15_for_Supremes_costume_and_memorabilia_exhi bition_gallery_569591219.jpg

woodward
02-01-2013, 11:44 AM
Also waiting for such a collection myself...IF Carolyn Crawford is included in roster of collection, GUARANTEED buy from me...as long as it's less than $20, counting S+H, when bought from Amazon.
Since the track listing has not been released yet, I am ever so hopeful that the collection will include Save Me A Star which was written [[and hopefully recorded) by Little Freda Payne. This was mentioned in the book Berry, Me, and Motown by Raynoma Gordy Singleton. To the best of my knowledge, this song has never been released and little mention is ever made of it. Let's hope it is included.

luke
02-01-2013, 11:57 AM
This is pretty common pic that has been around. As Annette and Sandra wernt in the group very long I think another group pic would have been more representative . Girl groups often get lumped together as a sound and their identities become anonymous. If there isnt new or unusual stuff why buy it?

carole cucumber
02-01-2013, 12:36 PM
According to Cal Gill, Annette & Sandra were Velvelettes from June 1965- late 1968, first appearing on record on 'Lonely, Lonely Girl Am I /I'm the Exception to the Rule'. Cal, Bertha, Millie, Norma & Betty auditioned in mid winter 1962 and first recorded for Motown in February of 63.
Betty left in summer of 64. and the others by June of '65. For a tv appearance, a certain Gail [[from Baltimore) performed before Sandra was added to the roster.
In 1984 ,the original members minus Betty reunited as a group and have contributed greatly to keeping the Motown sound alive.

carole cucumber
02-01-2013, 12:39 PM
http://acerecords.co.uk/finders-keepers-motown-girls-1961-1967

Kamasu_Jr
02-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Well, now we know the track listing. Thanks Carole.

kenneth
02-01-2013, 01:06 PM
Interesting mix of rare and not-so-rare tracks. Some artists I have never heard yet, though they're spoken of often on this forum such as Linda Griner and Anita Knorl. I buy most everything that Ace/Kent puts out related to Motown, King/Federal, and a lot of their blues titles. Their quality is unsurpassed. So of course I'll be buying this one!

carole cucumber
02-01-2013, 01:18 PM

Track #11 makes it appear that you'll be buying this . And there are other websites that have been mentioned on the forum that beat Amazon's price, should Amazon's prove to be higher than your budgeted cost..

carole cucumber
02-01-2013, 01:22 PM
And to think.... several tracks #6, 11, 14, 21, 23, 24 aren't even listed in the 8th edition of DFTMC. They must be new/recent discoveries.

carole cucumber
02-01-2013, 01:48 PM
And to think.... several tracks #6, 11, 14, 21, 23, 24 aren't even listed in the 8th edition of DFTMC. They must be new/recent discoveries.
Also add track #15 to that list.

kenneth
02-01-2013, 01:52 PM
A writer once said there was a certain Motown style that the female singers all prescribed to, except Diana and the Supremes [[they set the trends). So they sometimes tended to look the same. I think it's because they most likely bought wigs from the same place or used the same stylist and might have even used the same costume maker or bought wardrobe from the same shops. Apparently, some female singers outside Motown also copied the Motown look. I saw a picture of singer Laura Lee in a gown similar to one worn by the Supremes. I'm told it was common for some clothing stores in Detroit to display photographs of Motown artists [[and other labels) and tell customers that the "The Vandellas-Temptations buy their clothes here..."

Wow! Great picture of Laura Lee...definitely the same gown. I used to love her, loved her rendition of "Since I Fell For You," kind of like Margie Joseph's version of "Stop! in the Name of Love" with the long spoken intro and then the song just exploding. She had a great voice, though I think she got sidetracked doing redunant "sound alike" material after she hit big with "Women's Love Rights."

kenneth
02-01-2013, 01:58 PM

Isn't the Marvelettes' Track 18 also a new one? I don't think that was on either of the box sets and at the time, Hip-O was pretty sure the vaults had been exhausted as far as Marvelettes material goes.

carole cucumber
02-01-2013, 02:19 PM
Isn't the Marvelettes' Track 18 also a new one? I don't think that was on either of the box sets and at the time, Hip-O was pretty sure the vaults had been exhausted as far as Marvelettes material goes.

Please note the [[sic) after the group identification. This song, appearing on acetate and bootlegged onto cassette for many years, was incorrectly identified as by the Marvelettes. There is also a version by Bettie Winston listed in DFTMC.

The second box set pg. 37 carries this notation:
"As of this writing, summer 2011, these tracks represent all of the completed unreleased tracks by the Marvelettes remaining in the vaults. An oft-circulated unreleased title usually attributed to the group, " Grass Seems Greener [[On the Other Side)" has been confirmed by Katherine Anderson Schaffner to not be the group but a demo for them to follow: their vocals were never added."

longtimefan
02-01-2013, 02:36 PM
Disappointing tracks. Already a controversy over The Marvelettes'' track. The rarities are not very interesting. The cover art is the best!

kenneth
02-01-2013, 02:41 PM
Please note the [[sic) after the group identification. This song, appearing on acetate and bootlegged onto cassette for many years, was incorrectly identified as by the Marvelettes. There is also a version by Bettie Winston listed in DFTMC.

The second box set pg. 37 carries this notation:
"As of this writing, summer 2011, these tracks represent all of the completed unreleased tracks by the Marvelettes remaining in the vaults. An oft-circulated unreleased title usually attributed to the group, " Grass Seems Greener [[On the Other Side)" has been confirmed by Katherine Anderson Schaffner to not be the group but a demo for them to follow: their vocals were never added."

Thanks Carole! Wondered why the [[sic) was there...after all, their name wasn't misspelled!

carole cucumber
02-01-2013, 02:44 PM
Disappointing tracks. Already a controversy over The Marvelettes'' track. The rarities are not very interesting. The cover art is the best!

To each his own. I'm not disappointed.
Controversy?
No controversy...just an attempt to present a demo version earmarked for the Marvelettes. Thanks, Keith for giving us this.
Longtimefan,
You've heard all the rareties?!? You are one lucky person .

Ngroove
02-01-2013, 03:07 PM
http://acerecords.co.uk/finders-keepers-motown-girls-1961-1967

I'D BUY IT!!! Yes, for said Carolyn Crawford, plus really, how many Motown collections includes such shelved names like Linda Griner and LaBrenda Ben as well? Simply treasures waiting to be re-unearthed!

Partially too bad it ends with 1967, I also loved 1969's the Lollipops pretty fairly as well.

psychedelic jacques
02-01-2013, 04:31 PM
so I make it 12 previously unreleased out of 24 [#s 2,3,6,8,11,14,15,18,21-24] - is that the case?

I'm also looking forward to the Carolyn Crawford - shame there's no Lewis Sisters...

Ngroove
02-01-2013, 05:24 PM
so I make it 12 previously unreleased out of 24 [#s 2,3,6,8,11,14,15,18,21-24] - is that the case?

I'm also looking forward to the Carolyn Crawford - shame there's no Lewis Sisters...

Or Little Lisa...her "Honey Boy" on Cellarful 3 is just plain ADORABLE....but it's Okay.

Wonders what the site means by "Side 1" anyways....could there be....a "Side 2" *Smiles*:D

keith_hughes
02-02-2013, 05:06 AM
Seems like Bettie Winston was the voice on the second [["Marvelettes") version of "Grass" too.

DFTMC only contains tracks that have been released, or for which acetates are known to exist: the "missing" tracks will therefore appear in the next edition.

Enjoy the Carolyn Crawford track - it looks like we've reached the bottom of that particular barrel, sad to say.

longtimefan
02-02-2013, 01:39 PM
Am I understanding this right? "The Grass Is a Always Greener" will be listed on the CD as a "demo recorded for The Marvelettes," without the addition of their voices? Thanks for all of your input, Keith!

blueskies
02-02-2013, 01:59 PM
I wish the Supremes tracks [[re-hashes) would have been left off and instead maybe the Lewis Sisters and the Lollipops. I don't need anymore 'Buttered Popcorn'.

robb_k
02-02-2013, 02:28 PM
I've never heard "Lover Boy" by Carolyn Crawford, nor the Thelma Brown, nor the Anita Knori. Who was Anita Knori???

calvin
02-02-2013, 02:32 PM
I've never heard "Lover Boy" by Carolyn Crawford, nor the Thelma Brown, nor the Anita Knori. Who was Anita Knori???

Keith was recently asking the same question - now we know why.
http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?7717-Anita-Knorl-and-Thelma-Brown-can-anyone-help

carole cucumber
02-02-2013, 02:34 PM

Keith Hughes asked the very same question about Anita & Thelma in an earlier thread, but no one was able to supply sufficient information.

RossHolloway
02-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Seems like Bettie Winston was the voice on the second [["Marvelettes") version of "Grass" too.

DFTMC only contains tracks that have been released, or for which acetates are known to exist: the "missing" tracks will therefore appear in the next edition.

Enjoy the Carolyn Crawford track - it looks like we've reached the bottom of that particular barrel, sad to say.

This particular news just breaks my heart.

robb_k
02-03-2013, 10:14 PM
You aren't the only one! She'stied formy favourite female Motown artist. But I'm so happy we got to uncover all the great formerly unreleased cuts we've heard up till now,

Motown4Ever518
02-05-2013, 12:33 AM
50% Unreleased works for me. Though, why not go for 100% for Volume #2.

bradburger
02-06-2013, 08:30 PM
A question for Keith.

Is the mix of 'Let Love Live' an alternate or is it one of the two that have been issued in the past?

Anyway, looks like another fine set from Ace/Motown.

Cheers

Paul

booty
02-07-2013, 04:08 PM
According to the Ace Facebook page "Let Love Live" is the version that was first issued on Motown 980 9372 "The Motown Anthology"

144man
02-12-2013, 07:59 PM
UK release date 25th March.

theboyfromxtown
03-24-2013, 05:03 PM
Ooooooo - I'm loving this album and it sounds good.

There's some real hard to find pictures too.

theboyfromxtown
03-24-2013, 05:08 PM
Love the La Brenda Ben Do You Know What I'm Talking About track despite singing the words to Stevie Wonder's I Want My Baby Back.

theboyfromxtown
03-24-2013, 05:20 PM

But at least Carolyn will be going out with a BANG. "Lover Boy" is as good as Until You Came Along and a typical Smokey song with the same tempo. I love it.

theboyfromxtown
03-24-2013, 05:32 PM
This Hattie Littles track My Black Belt reminds me of High Heel Sneekers and You're A Wonderful One. Had to play it twice cos it was that good

lakedistrictlad1
03-25-2013, 04:53 AM
Well, John, it sounds like those people at ACE have really done their homework in selecting some choice cuts. I hope my copy is in the postbox when I get home tonight.

theboyfromxtown
03-25-2013, 05:16 AM
Well, John, it sounds like those people at ACE have really done their homework in selecting some choice cuts. I hope my copy is in the postbox when I get home tonight.

Ace is pretty good at keeping to schedules so hopefully it will arrive today.

Brings back fond memories of the time when Bertha and Norma performed "Let Love Live" for us in the hotel at Cleethorpes!!! lol

lakedistrictlad1
03-25-2013, 07:13 AM
Ace is pretty good at keeping to schedules so hopefully it will arrive today.

Brings back fond memories of the time when Bertha and Norma performed "Let Love Live" for us in the hotel at Cleethorpes!!! lol

You've no idea how often that memory plays in my mind John. It was a weekend to remember forever. I'll never forget your kindness in taking me with you that weekend. X

westgrandboulevard
03-25-2013, 05:10 PM
If there's anyone out there who...

.....has already bought and enjoyed the Cellarful of Motown series
.... has a strong interest in hearing compilations which include a cross-section of vocal styles and talents from some of the lesser known names from Motown's roster
....and has this set on order...then you're in for a real treat.

And if you have not placed your order already, it's well worth your interest.

There's Carolyn Crawford's 'Lover Boy', which has a similar treatment to Terry Johnson's "Whatcha Gonna Do", but taken at a slightly slower tempo - you could waltz to it - I have this mental image of Carolyn rocking herself on a garden swing, drifting back and forth....with the guitars and percussion 'ting' 'tang' and 'twanging' away, plus those slightly shrill strings which feature on the earlier Motown tracks. If this is indeed the last of the previously unavailable recordings from Carolyn, it has considerable charm:)

mr soul
03-26-2013, 04:16 PM
An enjoyable set, however LaBrenda Ben's "Do You Know What I'm Talkin' About" is the killer cut for me, even though I keep singing "I Want My Baby Back" & has anyone got the Temps version.

theboyfromxtown
03-26-2013, 05:23 PM
I'm tossing up between that, Dont Turn Your Back On Me, When Somebody Loves Me, Lover Boy, My Black Belt, Grass Seems Greener, and It's Too Soon To Know.

I really like this compilation.

mr soul
03-27-2013, 04:55 PM
"If Wishes Came True" has a nice feel to it as well.

marybrewster
03-28-2013, 11:59 AM
Can anyone shed some light on track #19? It's listed as "The Miracles". I thought this was a girl-group set? Does that mean Claudette is on lead on this cut??

mr soul
03-28-2013, 12:31 PM
Yes, it's from the 1962 album "I'll Try Something New"

johnny_raven
03-28-2013, 12:33 PM
Yes, it's Claudette. The song originally appeared on The Miracles' "I'll Try Something New" LP.

marybrewster
03-28-2013, 01:27 PM
Thank you mr soul and johnny_raven.

I just may have to pick up this set.

paul_nixon
03-29-2013, 04:48 AM
I have been listening to this set now continually for the past few days and it's been difficult for me to turn the loop button off. Any of my pals will tell you my preference is for the mid 60s classic era and usually I tend to shy away from earlier material in favour of that. HOWEVER I am loving this set - can't really find a duff track even Anita Knorl is growing on me. I think the Ace team have done a sterling job here again, who could fail to love Lover Boy? And I've waited for year to get the Gladys track out scheduling it on COM severeal times but it just didn't fit right ...delerious to see and hear it hear. Marvelettes, Hattie, Brenda, Kim and the gorgeous Velvelettes we are spoiled for choice...

westgrandboulevard
03-29-2013, 08:10 AM
Like Paul, I've always preferred the 'classic era' tracks, particularly those with that Hitsville/Funk Brothers sound.

That said, I'm surprised to find myself giving more attention than I expected, particularly to the vocals on the earlier recordings in this compilation, many of which have simpler arrangements.

It just seems to make the experience just a tad more intimate, a quality of being 'live', and a distinct change from the way the voices were mixed and blended in the more complex productions which followed.

I suppose that has much to do with the simpler recording methods, as I imagine all sorts of technical tricks were required to create the masterpieces which formed the classic Motown sound.

shoo-be-doo
03-29-2013, 03:50 PM
That sounds awfully like the Supremes doing the backing on the Linda Griner track. Date wise it fits in to the sessions used for the CW&P album [[Feb 1963). Wonder if this could be a Supremes track with Linda dubbed in. Anyone else hear them?

longtimefan
03-29-2013, 05:46 PM
Mine was mailed from cdimports.

wedgeville
03-30-2013, 06:18 PM
I have listened for almost a week now, but just can't get into most of the tracks [[not what I expected - and sadly disappointed by Brenda, Kim, Carolyn, Linda Griner and Liz Lands). I was looking forward to a cellarful type set, which is not the case.
I do like the Gladys Knight, LaBrenda Ben and Hattie Littles tracks though.

Wayne

theboyfromxtown
03-30-2013, 06:43 PM
Wayne

I'm surprised that you are not keen on Lover Boy and Don't Turn Your Back On Me - They are both tracks that could have been considered for Cellarful.

wedgeville
03-31-2013, 05:32 AM
Yes John, I agree. And there ain't no disputing either Brenda or Carolyn's vocals on the tracks - but they don't go anywhere for me. They both seem to be lacking that catchy chorus... And you know how much I love the dance tracks, "If You Ever Get Your Hands On Love", "Reconsider", "Lone Lonely Town", "He's The One" type of thing. I guess we have been spoiled in the past . . . and maybe there ain't much left?
I can think of a couple of killer tracks from Brenda that still remain in the vaults. "Can't Hold This Feeling Back", being one of them. Now that would set the dance floor on fire, and "I'm Giving Up" is a real stomper...
On the whole, I am still grateful to get 12 unreleased tracks, and I will always support such releases...

Wayne

mowsville
03-31-2013, 06:01 AM
what a great track.."loverboy" although I collect Motown period...its still the golden era that does it all the time

longtimefan
03-31-2013, 03:55 PM
Tell us about "The Grass Seems Greener" [[sic). What do the notes say about the vocal? Does it sound like The Marvelettes?

Kamasu_Jr
04-02-2013, 08:52 AM
Ace is firing on all cylinders. Finders Keepers is a four star compilation. TERRIFIC choice of tracks, skilled sequencing and excellent sound. Let's just claim Hattie Littles, the queen of Detroit Blues or Queen of Black Bottom Blues & Soul. She was rough and My Black Belt doesn't disappoint. LaBrenda Ben was another singer Motown shouldn't have let get away. The only small quibble I have are the tunes by Liz Lands and Anita Knorl.They just lay there. I also would have chosen Brenda Holloway's Tell Me Your Story over Till Johnny Comes. "Story" has only apeared on one Motown compilation that I know of. But this disc is essential.

theboyfromxtown
04-02-2013, 08:57 AM
I agree although I have to say that I am pleased to have the Liz Lands and Anita Knorl tracks. However, when you have so many other great ones, those do tend to pale against the others.

keith_hughes
04-02-2013, 11:00 AM
Thanks to all on SDF who have expressed appreciation of this set. I thought you might be interested in a peek behind the curtain, to see how the track selection came about.

At the time that we were in New York, researching the Eddie Holland double-CD, we already had in mind a "Motown Girls" CD. As the engineer mounted one of the tapes containing an Eddie track we needed, we took a look at the track listing: anything that was by a girl, or a girl group, we listened to. We soon had enough good quality material to fill half a CD [[which was all we wanted)!

That explains why nearly all the new tracks dated from 1964 or earlier - the timeline of Eddie's recording career. The only exception is the Gladys track - we knew we HAD to have that one.

So it was essentially serendipity. We would never have gone looking for Anita Korl and Thelma Brown: they just happened to be there. But in case you think there's gold in all them thar hills, I have to add there were plenty we listened to that we did not think worthy of release. We weren't even sure about the ones we did choose, but you have re-assured us!

Thank you again.

snakepit
04-02-2013, 12:34 PM
I enjoyed the CD....a great mix.
Thought "No Tear stained make-up" was an odd choice.....seemed out of place but small quibble .
The Anita Knorl reminds of an early Supremes ...is it "Your heart belongs to me"? A Smokey tune.
Let's hope there are more volumes [[65/66/67/68) in the pipeline
good work all concerned.

carole cucumber
04-02-2013, 02:04 PM
Ace is firing on all cylinders. Finders Keepers is a four star compilation. TERRIFIC choice of tracks, skilled sequencing and excellent sound. Let's just claim Hattie Littles, the queen of Detroit Blues or Queen of Black Bottom Blues & Soul. She was rough and My Black Belt doesn't disappoint. LaBrenda Ben was another singer Motown shouldn't have let get away. The only small quibble I have are the tunes by Liz Lands and Anita Knorl.They just lay there. I also would have chosen Brenda Holloway's Tell Me Your Story over Till Johnny Comes. "Story" has only apeared on one Motown compilation that I know of. But this disc is essential.

And may we have the alternate version of "Tell Me Your Story" with the male voice-over at the end?
Or how about a Brenda Holloway Lost & Found? I know that we received such a disc as part of Brenda's U.K. anthology, but it's been mentioned several times that Brenda recorded quite extensively while at Motown.
And lest we forget, John Lester's has mentioned that he's been itching for Brenda's vaulted Music Merchant recordings .

theboyfromxtown
04-02-2013, 02:54 PM
Thank you for reminding me carole cucumber.

One can but hope that someone will put on their "listening ears"!

noel181
04-02-2013, 05:14 PM
CD Japan is listing Finders Keepers Motown Girl as being released Apr 25 2013 with an OBI
but noted that it is manufactured outside Japan. Does this mean it is a UK CD with Japanese Inserts and documentary printed in Japanese and English?

honest man
04-03-2013, 08:06 AM
Hello people really enjoyed the cd worth waiting for,thank you to all involved ,just a little gripe [if that's what you call it] from me,i think the set could have been a complete 60s Female Motown collection if they had not duplicated Vandellas DRATS etc and replaced with Chris Clark, Tammi Debbie Dean etc ,would love to have had a complete female cd ,all in on piece.just sayin' but a brilliant cd by all means,THANK YOU.CHEERS.

lakedistrictlad1
04-04-2013, 06:27 AM
I'm absolutely loving Brenda's 'Don't Turn Your Back On Me'. So far it's my favourite track.

Great to hear Kim Weston in her jazz standards mode. I know it's not evryone's 'bag' - but she sings that kind of music so well.

I was surprised at the error in the text. 'No more tearstained make-up' being from the 'Dance Party' album. How was that missed?

keith_hughes
04-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Incompetence, sheer blithering incompetence.

lakedistrictlad1
04-04-2013, 01:53 PM
Haha. You are completely forgiven. Were only human, most of us.

carole cucumber
04-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Keith,
A couple of things I haven't seen addressed here yet.
The cd case back cover states that 4 tracks were mixed /edited by Richard Hughes. Tracks 2 and 16 have already seen release, so I assume that it's either or both of the 2 remaining tracks [['Do You Know What I'm Talkin' About' and/or 'Build Him Up') that was/were edited. In what fashion? Was there studio chatter before/after the song[[s) that was not incorporated for this cd? Was/were sections of the song[[s) unusable or not up to par with the part[[s) used?
The write-up for the Andantes states that "Ann Bogan.... was called upon in the late 60's '...to replace Gladys Horton as lead singer of the Marvelettes. And yet 'Forever More The Complete Motown Albums Vol 2 , with its bonus Lost & Found disc, shows Ann as having been given the lead vocal role on 4 songs while a Marvelette. Are you hinting that Ann was given the impression or told outright that she would be the lead singer or at least, co-lead with Wanda, a fact that doesn't seem to have panned out ?

carole cucumber
04-05-2013, 01:49 PM
Oh, one more remark.... I love the very clever, hard-hitting karate chop opening to My Black Belt and the outro "Im gonna hit you so hard you gonna forget where you came from and I'm gonna hit you so hard, so hard.
Please find a way to give us more Hatttie Littles recordings from the vault.

Roger Polhill
04-05-2013, 06:07 PM
Many thanks to all involved. I`m really enjoying it and my only disappointment is that it isn`t Volume One. Please Keith get those other tracks out soon. I`ll buy anything that is still in the vaults.

keith_hughes
04-06-2013, 04:36 AM
Goodness, Carole, let me see if I can remember ... as I said above, this all happened when we we were running down the Eddie Holland tracks nearly two years ago: I remember the sixties better than what went on then ...

Eddie's "Pretty Little Angel" was only available in multi-track form, so we asked Richard to mix that one for us. "Do You Know What ..." was on the same reel, so we got him to do that one too. The m/t for "Build Him Up" had been pulled for the Vandellas' 50th set, but Universal didn't have room for it, so kindly passed it to us, and that was added to his pile. Likewise, Universal had a rough rundown for "Grass Is Always Greener", intended for "Forever More", but kindly passed us that one too: it needed tidying up. Finally, "No More ..." hadn't been released digitally in mono before, so it needed its hair brushed and its teeth cleaned before it was fit to appear in public.

As to what else went down there that week - why my pix of the tape boxes didn't come out, how Andy Skurow carried 21 tapes at once, what Mick said when he heard the Gawell Sisters' tracks, and what we all ordered at the Chinese dinner at the sessions end - these will have to await my forthcoming autobiography!

I didn't mean to imply anything whatever about Ann Bogan's career ...

Best
Keith

144man
04-10-2013, 06:18 PM
I'm not disappointed with the unreleased tracks, though I can see the Liz Lands might not be to everybody's taste. I like its inclusion because it's the only way we're going to hear tracks like this, and it gives the CD more variety.

I particularly like the LInda Griner track. It has that Clarence Paul dreamlike quality.

brother_love
04-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Brenda's track of "Till Johnny Comes" sounds much brighter on this Cd. The background vocals are more prominent than of The Very Best of collection from 1999 or the 2005 Motown Anthology. The new mix on this Cd is like getting a new Brenda track.

I'm really enjoying this Cd great work Keith!

roger
04-19-2013, 07:07 AM
I'm a bit late here, as I only got my copy yesterday ..

I'm enjoying it all, especially the previously unreleased tracks.

I was actually dreading hearing the ANITA KNORL track, due to the negative comments I'd heard about it, but ended up enjoying it as well .. to me parts of the arrangement sound very similar that on "Should I Tell Them" by THE VELVELETTES.

Another curio is the LABRENDA BEN track "Do You Know What I'm Talking About" as to me it sounds like parts of the arrangement for that track were lifted for use on "I Want My Baby Back" by EDWIN STARR some two or three years later .. play them back to back and you should see what I mean.

Definitely preferable to spending my money on a hamburger ... :)

Roger

Kamasu_Jr
04-19-2013, 07:38 PM
Stevie Wonder also recorded I Want My Baby Back [[before Edwin Starr) using the same rhythm track as LaBrenda Ben.

roger
04-20-2013, 08:16 AM
Stevie Wonder also recorded I Want My Baby Back [[before Edwin Starr) using the same rhythm track as LaBrenda Ben.

I'd totally forgotten about that version of "I Want My Baby Back" Kamasu, so thanks for reminding me.

I've just dug out my version of the STEVIE WONDER version [[on the "Uptight" L.P.) and played it back-to-back with the LABRENDA BEN song and it's a bit difficult for me to determine whether they actually are using the exact same recording, as on Stevie's version there is a whole load of extra percussion, but it is obviously the missing link.

I'm currently listening to "My Black Belt" by HATTIE LITTLES .. interesting lyrics .. I wonder what the radio stations would have made of it if it had been released back in the day!! :)

Roger

carole cucumber
05-06-2013, 04:52 PM
http://theseconddisc.com/2013/05/06/losers-weepers-ace-unveils-rare-and-unreleased-songs-on-finders-keepers-motown-girls-1961-67/#more-20702

captainjames
05-06-2013, 09:28 PM
This set of songs are a rare treat and so enjoyable. Love it Love Love it

mysterysinger
05-07-2013, 06:00 PM
"Dance Yeah Dance" from Thelma Brown is like a precursor to Sly Stone's "Dance to the Music". Love this track, but my fave is "Grass Seems Greener". Also enjoying Kim's "It's Too Soon To Know" and Brenda's "Til Johnny Comes" [[yes I know that's not new but just great).

Motown4Ever518
05-07-2013, 07:18 PM
I just ordered it today!

JL2648
05-08-2013, 06:54 AM
I was surprised to find this CD at a local music store. I thought the only way to get this would be via mail order. This is a good compilation--I've been enjoying it.

Jeff

RossHolloway
11-14-2013, 02:54 PM
I know I'm a few months late to this party, but finally ordered and received a copy of this release two days ago and I'm really loving the unreleased tracks on this cd.

My FAVORITE track has got to be Carolyn Crawford's Lover Boy. WOW. This track just makes the cd for me and reminds me of why I became a Motown fan, for little gems like this. I think Smokey Robinson just had a special way of writing for and producing for female singers. He has such a way of bringing out the sweetness and phrasing in certain singers like Carolyn, Brenda and Mary Wells. The song is just beautiful.

lakedistrictlad1
11-20-2013, 05:13 AM
RossHolloway - I have to agree. After the first play of the cd, I went back and played 'Lover Boy' again - and again. Isn't it amazing how your ears just tune in to certain songs? they become instant 'all time favourites', while others wash over you.

RossHolloway
11-20-2013, 04:00 PM

KH- DFTMC lists track titled Watch Yourself by Carolyn Craword, completed 3/4/64 and produced by Andre Williams. Is there ONE last track by CC left in the vaults????

keith_hughes
11-22-2013, 07:39 PM
This track appeared on an acetate - it was never properly mixed at the time. All the mixed tracks by Ms Crawford have now been released. Sometimes multi-track recordings were overdubbed by another artist, so unless the original track was rough-mixed for an acetate it's gone forever.

Until someone listens to the original multi-track, we don't know if the original artist's vocal track is still there. The search continues ... with Motown, never say never ...

RossHolloway
04-29-2014, 03:33 PM
This track appeared on an acetate - it was never properly mixed at the time. All the mixed tracks by Ms Crawford have now been released. Sometimes multi-track recordings were overdubbed by another artist, so unless the original track was rough-mixed for an acetate it's gone forever.

Until someone listens to the original multi-track, we don't know if the original artist's vocal track is still there. The search continues ... with Motown, never say never ...

So there may be a chance that this track exists but just not discovered/located as of yet. Do you happen to know who else recorded the track? Have you heard the acetate?

keith_hughes
04-30-2014, 03:58 AM
Russ: "Watch Yourself" on the acetate is a different song to the one on the Motown tape, and I now suspect that the singer is not Ms Crawford. Sadly, no vocals by anyone on the tape itself.