PDA

View Full Version : cindy birdsong Dancing Room

test

drlorne
09-29-2010, 11:20 PM
Itunes [[canada) has a strange CD Something Special by the Supremes [[Scherrie; Lynda and Freddie, I think). But Dancing Room is on it and I'm sure it's Cindy Birdsong. The bio stuff is for the Sylvers, who must have also had an album called Something Special.
It was only $5.99 and had Up the Ladder to the Roof Karaoke. A good buy.

Lorne

blueskies
09-30-2010, 12:17 PM
I have the CD "Something Special" circa 1998. It's a mix of members from the 90's. Jean, Lynda and Scherrie are on several songs as "Get Away" and "We're Back". Cindi's "Dancing Room" is here. There's a live "Sukiyaki" an acoustic "I'll Miss The Man" with Lynda on lead and Scherrie and Sundray on background, Supremes Megamix, "Respect" [[Freddi lead), "Stoned Love" live, and in studio "Without You", Symphony", "The Happening and "Up the Ladder". I think Sundray Tucker is on a several of these cuts. There's extensive liner notes by Steve Weaver who managed the group when based in the UK. You got a good buy, drlorne. I believe I got the CD from their fan club in the late 90's. The cover art is an interesting photo of Lynda, Scherrie and Freddi in the manner of Martha and the Vandella's "Black Magic". I'll have to go through my CD's and look as I think there was a "Something Special II".

johnjeb
09-30-2010, 01:12 PM
Would this be the original "Dancing Room" or a remake?

blueskies
09-30-2010, 02:12 PM
Would this be the original "Dancing Room" or a remake?

I believe it is the original. I'd have to give it a listen. Cindi never recorded with Ian Levine or Steve Weaver that I know of. I have several different versions of "Dancing Room" when it first came out.

longtimefan
09-30-2010, 05:01 PM
Yes, this performance on Something Special II is Cindy Birdsong's original "Dancing Room" track. As blueskies [[above) lists, this CD pulled together a group of rarities by different members of The Supremes and The FLOS It provided an opportunity for fans to own several rarities on CD that may never have occurred otherwise.

topdiva1
09-30-2010, 07:40 PM
It is Cindy Birdsong - however history has proven that Ian Levine was not right for her, and many others - she seems to have a good voice on this.

drlorne
09-30-2010, 09:26 PM
I'm enjoying the album and except for the karaoke songs I think the songs are well produced -- not overly synthesized. Thanks for the background info blueskies.

Lorne

topdiva1
10-01-2010, 08:23 PM
Does anyone one know what Cindy Birdsong is doing now - why has she never gotten a group of girls together - and hit the road???

smark21
10-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Does anyone one know what Cindy Birdsong is doing now - why has she never gotten a group of girls together - and hit the road???

She's retired from show business years ago and is now a minister in the LA area and supposedly has a church.

carlo
10-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Yes, they have a lot of great stuff on iTunes. I bought "Dancing Room" a few days ago...just came across it by surprise. I thought that maybe it had been on there for a while and I just never noticed it. They also have the Motortown Revue set on there. And some other FLOS' releases, including the "Stop to Love" album, which I like. I used to have that one on CD. I might have to buy it again. They also have some free interviews with Mary Wilson...including a free one hour video interview from the V&A in 2008.

daviddh
10-01-2010, 09:37 PM
to bad they dont have the SUPREME VOICES CD

drlorne
10-01-2010, 10:49 PM
Thanks Carlo ---lots of stuff on ITunes.

topdiva1
10-02-2010, 03:19 PM
She's retired from show business years ago and is now a minister in the LA area and supposedly has a church.

Many thanks - I am sure we all wish her well.