PDA

View Full Version : Motown folklore galore

test

Methuselah2
01-30-2013, 08:55 AM
I always thought that on the heels of Motown's stake in the Broadway musical PIPPIN, the recording company signed one of PIPPIN's stars--Irene [["Granny" of THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES fame) Ryan to an exclusive recording contract. But that just before the release of Irene's first single [[a song from the show, naturally), the idea was kicked into high-gear to pair Irene for a duo. Without having to look too far, there he was--her new duo partner--Marvin Gaye. Irene was ecstatic but Marvin wasn't havin' it, any of it. He went immediately to Berry Gordy and asked "What's going on?" The duo idea was abandoned but the idea for a landmark album was born.

http://rogercatlin.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/ireneRyan.gif

http://ionetheurbandaily.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/marvin-gaye.jpg

But, then again, I never quite get things right. And that part you can believe.

OK, Clubhouse people. Who wants to go next?

stephanie
01-30-2013, 07:21 PM
Bobby Darin was signed to Motown and made a horrible album. Darrin has never made bad music until now.

marv2
01-30-2013, 10:50 PM
Marvin Gaye mentions Cindy Birdsong towards the end of his recording, "Funky Space Reincarnation" in 1978.

Methuselah2
01-31-2013, 07:46 AM
I'll never forget when I thought that The Marvelettes had been thrown in jail in Cambodia.

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee504/carnivorousdeer/marvelettestwo.jpg

Methuselah2
01-31-2013, 08:30 AM
And how can I ever forget when I was so certain that the Vandellas must have been sent to Sweden to undergo a very radical and controversial experiment to be miniaturized in order to fit into the glass jar used for the SUGAR N' SPICE album cover. And furthermore that the experiment had actually been attempted once before but hadn't quite worked out: On the RIDIN' HIGH album cover, the miniaturizing did not take effect on Martha. And Rosalind and Lois had to perform on Martha's shoulder for the next 6 months.

Or so I thought.

I've got a vivid imagination. What can I say?

http://www.stonewallvets.org/images/songs_7/Martha-Reeves_Vandellas_-Sugar-N-Spice.jpg

http://www.stonewallvets.org/images/songs_7/Martha-Reeves_Vandellas_Ridin-High.jpg

Methuselah2
02-03-2013, 10:27 AM
Ya know, I'm always just trying to put 2 + 2 together to figure things out. But some people think I keep coming up with 25.

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/5973252/homepage/name/homepage.jpg?type=sn

Methuselah2
02-05-2013, 05:50 PM
Remember that great Martha & the Vandellas video of them in the automobile assembly line that was accompanied by NOWHERE TO RUN? I always thought that the Mustang they were riding in probably had belonged to Berry Gordy. Well, as a result of the video's enormous popularity, I was certain Gordy must have become focused on linking as many subsequent recordings by the company to the theme of cars, and passed that directive on to all of his songwriters. Like Smokey Robinson and Marv Tarplin, who wrote a very popular tune that I think was originally titled THE LOVE I SAW IN YOU WAS JUST A GARAGE.

Maybe I should just start a web forum--SoullessDesMoines.

Methuselah2
02-09-2013, 01:21 PM
Well, after all, it was the 70s, and Weight Watchers was sweeping the nation. Ever on the cutting edge of all things happening, it seems, from what I think occurred, that the writers came up with a lovely ditty about love that hits two people very hard right smack dab in the middle of a Weight Watchers meeting. Plus, the couple was very hungry. They wanted some food! So, the couple decides to leave; they get up and head right for the door. Eventually, the song would prove to be a very popular one for Gladys Knight & the Pips. But, originally, it had been titled EITHER ONE OF US [[NEEDS TO BE THE FIRST TO SAY LET'S EAT).

Methuselah2
02-11-2013, 01:59 AM
"You stripped me of my lobster bib.
You gave me a napkin,
then took my menu.
Look at me now.
I'm outta here!"

Lyric excerpt from
YOUR PARTY ISN'T HERE AND NOW YOU'RE GONE

B-sided with
JUST A LITTLE MISUNDERSTANDING

Perhaps slated for a GREATEST SNITS compilation.
Volume 1 alone is 10,000 discs.

144man
02-11-2013, 07:47 PM
I did hear that Marvin Gaye came back from a tour to discover that he had serious horticultural problems. Eddie Holland heard him singing "Little Garden [[I Weed You)", changed the lyrics, and the rest is history.

Methuselah2
02-11-2013, 07:58 PM
Now, there's a bit of 'real dirt' if ever I've heard it. Good one, 114man!

144man
02-11-2013, 08:34 PM
I think it was Lionel Richie [it might have been another member of the group] who used to say that his group got its name by opening a dictionary at random and that, if his finger had landed in a slightly different place on the page, they would have been called "The Commodes".

Methuselah2
02-11-2013, 08:47 PM
Obviously flush with the excitement of it all.

144man
02-12-2013, 08:44 AM
The legend has grown that the Supremes, Marvelettes, and Vandellas did not sing back-up on all of their recordings, but, of course, that is such a far-fetched idea that no one would ever believe it :) :[[

Methuselah2
02-20-2013, 08:52 PM
So, did I hear wrong or did a trip to the supermarket and cosmetics counter at Woolworth's actually start the wheels turning for what became that great dance tune of 70s Supremes' Mary, Cindy, & Scherrie?

"I call, say 'Get dressed!'--
And he still looks a mess;
Bein' in his arms--
And I'd prefer me some Pepperidge Farm's;
He makes his move to canoodle--
And I'd rather have a Cheez Doodle . . .
'Cause
HE'S MY MARY KAY REPRESENTATIVE."

I think that's how I heard it originally started.
Hmmm . . . maybe not.

Methuselah2
02-26-2013, 06:56 AM
Diana Ross' wig in the photo used on the cover of the DIANA ROSS & THE SUPREMES 50th ANNIVERSARY | THE SINGLES COLLECTION | 1961-1969 CD-set may possibly be the very first known combination-Supremes Hairdo/Mickey Mouse Club Hat seen in the Western Hemisphere. It has often been presumed by some to have been the result of an administrative decision made to increase demographics and possibly tick off Walt Disney. Detroit company executives were reportedly thought to have been very pleased with it. However, several mothers of long-term Mouseketeers in California required hospitalization.

http://www.dustygroove.com/images/products/s/suprem_dian_50thanniv_101b.jpg

Methuselah2
03-04-2013, 01:23 PM
Over the years, there has been an enormous amount written, discussed, and heatedly debated about the origin of the name VANDELLAS. So, as far as I was concerned, my work was already all mapped out for me. And speaking of maps, I just learned that right next door to Detroit is the city of Eastpointe. And, get this, Eastpointe just happens to be the locale of VAN'S DELI. I'm sure you will all agree with me that I'm really onto something this time! But before I draw any of my usual, logical conclusions, I just have to get a few remaining pieces of the puzzle into place--such as: Was the deli in business in the early 60s and were three young women we know and love regular customers? But then I ask myself: Well, who doesn't love deli food? So, I believe I'm already half-way there on that one. I feel like I'm getting so close, incredibly close to finally settling the Vandellas name issue once and for all. And I would. But right now, I'm just so busy with trying to nail down the track listing of their forthcoming 50th ANNIVERSARY SINGLES COLLECTION that I must simply let it simmer on the back-burner for the time-being. My sole focus now is--and must continue to be--that track listing. Although I've been eating potato salad and cole slaw lately like you wouldn't believe!

chidrummer
03-04-2013, 04:54 PM
That mysterious bass voice you hear on the J-5's, I'll Bet You was actually Marlon.

bradsupremes
03-04-2013, 09:39 PM
There have been stories that Oma Page was an overweight girl and Motown wanted her to go on a diet to lose weight. One of the reasons why she was sacked from the label was due to the fact that someone found her hiding in a closet eating a chocolate bar. What I can confirm was that it was a Hershey's chocolate bar.

Methuselah2
03-11-2013, 04:27 PM
"Hi-yo, Silver! Away!"

"Who were those obscured Marvelettes, anyway?"

"Why . . . that's, uh . . . uh, it's . . . er . . . "

Well, THE RETURN OF THE MARVELETTES album blew into town in 1970 but this one had a few of us scratchin' our heads back then. The album, itself, was a welcome event. But what had started out intended as a solo career effort by Wanda Rogers, accompanied by The Andantes, ended up labeled somewhat differently. And it contained a great selection of covers performed by Wanda and The Andantes. But who-in-tarnation were those other "Marvelettes" on the cover? You just couldn't tell.

This much I'm kinda sure of:

First, the horses used were MR. ED, FLICKA, & TRIGGER. Had to be. Just by process of elimination. Hollywood's a small town. Mr. Ed was still riding high on the ponytail on his earlier popularity, so he was given final photo approval. And casting approval, too [[he nixed FURY and the Lone Ranger's SILVER because, as Mr. Ed put it, "whenever those two got together, they were always horsin' around!").

But the other "Marvelettes" riding alongside Wanda? To this day--still a mystery. Not a clue. Although I did think I was really onto something at one point. But my sure-fire guess about The Lewis Sisters just didn't pan out.

No silver bullet left behind. Not even false eyelashes.

Said cover:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3511/3934017870_490c9b3cbc_z.jpg?zz=1

Methuselah2
03-14-2013, 05:47 PM
"I don't care if I can't create a line,
I don't care if I can never make it rhyme;
I don't care if my words ain't sweet like honey,
I don't care if they never seem very funny;

I don't mind 'cause . . .

FIRST I RIP APART THE VERSE."

Life always involves JUST A LITTLE CONTOURING, doesn't it? What can I tell ya? Well, maybe this:

Saturday, March 30, 2013, is actually NATIONAL DOCTORS' DAY. So, what perfect timing to give a spin of the classic IN MY LONELY WAITING ROOM, performed by DR. ALBERT ROSE SCHWEITZER & THE VENTRICULLAS who, as we know, would eventually go onto establishing the VIRGINIA MAYO CLINIC.

"Paging Dr. Moe, Dr. Larry, Dr. Curly." Nyuk. Nyuk.

Methuselah2
03-25-2013, 05:43 AM
The path to finalizing lyrics is often a lengthy and complex one, sometimes involving re-writing and re-thinking the whole concept.

I can only wonder about, possibly--

"And Flo, she don't know,
'Cause the boy she loves
is at the rodeo."

Which, of course, reminds me of some of the hard-to-figure artist signings that Motown seemed to take on. I believe TV's 'Mr. Ed' had heard he was about to be offered a contract he couldn't refuse--so he immediately left town. Who could blame him?! But it's not what you might be thinking. Sure, he'd seen THE GODFATHER--but his main concern was the likelihood of having another voice dubbed in yet again. He'd had it with that! Of course. Of course.

luke
03-25-2013, 10:29 PM
Ive read the ladies from Undisputed Truth were on the other horses! When I was a tiny tyke I thought Motown was pronounced like the Apple sauce-mot-town. :[[