PDA

View Full Version : Martha/Vandellas on "Top Of The Pops"

test

nomis
01-28-2013, 10:13 PM
was on the Missing Episodes.com site..a great forum dedicated to missing UK tv programmes someone has started a link on The Vandellas on totps..a colour pic of martha wearing yellow was posted [[sorry Im useless at cut and paste)they are trying to find out if the shot is from totps..somone has posted that the group appeared in totp studio for -

"Jimmy Mack" 20/08/1970
"Forget Me Not" 28/01/1971

I dont know if these two performances exist in the BBC vault although judging from the transmission dates I doubt it..thought I would post this info here...cheers..

dickiemint
01-29-2013, 06:58 AM
It is possible that Martha and the Vandellas performed these tracks on TOTP in the early 70's, as at that time in the UK a lot of 60's Motown was re released to cash in on the sucsess of Tears of a Clown /The Miracles, this 60's lp track was played in the UK and became a No1 hit, this spurred Motown UK to re release 60's hits by Jimmy Ruffin, Four Tops,The Elgins, The Supremes and Martha
Jimmy Ruffin even relocated to the UK because of this boost to his popularity

cheekylincs
01-29-2013, 09:55 AM
I don't remember Martha & The Vandellas performing Jimmy Mack on TOTP around this time but they definitely performed Forget Me Not in January 1971 when they were touring with Stevie Wonder in the UK......I have been looking for a clip of this for years but I don't think any clips of this have survived! Jimmy Mack may have been on TOTP in 1970 but I don't think they performed this themselves - it may have been 'performed' by Pans People or played during the closing credits!

westgrandboulevard
01-29-2013, 12:00 PM
I'm inclined to agree with everything that cheekylincs has said above.

I know Martha, with Lois and Sandy, did indeed perform 'Forget Me Not' live on TOTP - as I missed it!! I was told they all looked really good and happy.

So I, too, have been looking to see a clip of this ever since, but for the first time.....

It was unusual for me to miss an edition of TOTP so, just from memory, I don't recall that they performed 'Jimmy Mack' live in 1970 - but I'd be delighted to see evidence which proves me wrong!

Calv1971
01-29-2013, 08:19 PM
I remember their performance on Top of the Pops singing "Forget me not" as this is what introduced me to Martha. If my memory serves me correctly, during the course of the song being in the charts, they appeared 3 times on the show singing it, whether or not it was the same performance shown each time. I was 10 years old at the time and also remember being fascinated by Lois's hairdo!! From then on l was hooked, the 1st single l bought was "Taking my love and leaving me" from a little second hand record/dirty book shop here where l live [[the shop didn't last long), l was a little confused as why was it on a label called Gordy and not Tamla Motown and why did it have such a big hole in the centre when our pressings came with solid centres!
One of the "in-record stores" in Nottingham at the time was Rediffusion, televisions upstairs and records downstairs, lots of American import 45's for as little as 10p and this is the place l first heard "Never leave your baby's side" in one of those "Listening Booths", l knew there and then that this was the sound that l loved.

bradsupremes
01-29-2013, 08:28 PM
Unfortunately most of the Top of the Pops shows from the 60's into the early 70's were wiped. Unless someone has a copy of these performances it is unlikely the original tape masters exist.

copley
01-29-2013, 08:43 PM
According to a TOTP reference site Martha only appeared in 1970. I assume that it must have been for 'Forget Me Not'. I have no recollection of them ever performing 'Jimmy Mack' in either '67 or '70.

nomis
01-29-2013, 09:30 PM
The guys at Missing Episodes are pretty meticulous researchers..many of them have worked for the BBC..wether Martha was in the studio or not "Jimmy Mack" was on the episode of TOTPS I listed..I remember a few years back when I located information on a practically unknown Marvin and Tammi tv apperance..lots of members on here where quick 2 discount my info then Lo and behold the clip is on You Tube and everybody is euphoric..the same when I located the mastertape number for American Bandstand that had the farewell supremes footage..and I can think of 2 other tv motown apperances I gave info about that was boo hooed at first..sometimes this forum can be a labour...