PDA

View Full Version : Mark Bego's book, "Murder At Motor City Records"

test

R. Mark Desjardins
01-28-2013, 08:34 PM
With 59 prior best selling musical biographies to his credit, author Mark Bego delivers his first full length novel, and what a fun filled romp through a parallel world of Motor City Records it is indeed! Right off the bat, Bego acknowledges his love of murder mysteries by Agatha Christie, James M. Cain and Dashiell Hammet. Long time pal, Mary Wilson of the Supremes and Bego were pitched the idea of collaborating on a novel loosely based on a record company, but eventually it fell upon Bego to forge ahead on his own.

To set the story line in motion, Harry Stone, manages to gather together the former stars of his iconic label, Motor City Records, to celebrate the 35th Anniversary reunion show. During the ensuing backstage drama building up to the final reunion of this musical family, old rivalries resurface, threatening to take some of the luster away from the historic event.

Aside from old wounds being reopened concerning being shortchanged on royalties, missed opportunities and plain bad luck, it becomes apparent to the performers who did come back for the purported charity event, that the individual who will be benefiting most is the greedy label owner. Found shot dead in his luxurious office the evening after the reunion, the murder of Harry Stone is investigated by Detroit Detective Marcus Rusk. A life long fan of Motor City Recording artists, Rusk is thrust into the glittering world of his musical icons. Numerous characters are thrown at the reader, but thankfully Rusk aids the reader in keeping tabs of who's who and what their motives are in seeing Harry Stone dead.

Strong cocktails flow liberally throughout this story, and it is a credit to Detective Harry Stone that his sipping cocktails while interviewing potential murder suspects, that he doesn't get sidelined and lose the trail of the culprit. Adding another dimension to this cat and mouse chase, it becomes apparent that Harry Stone has his own skeletons in the closet that he has to reckon with.

A reader doesn't have to be a Motown music fan to draw parallels to the characters introduced in this musical yarn. Diehard fans of Diana Ross and The Supremes and other Tamla/Motown vocal groups, may take offense at this free wheeling, fun romp. However, any specific reference to actual real life performers are due strictly to what an imaginative reader conjures up in their mind. Author Elaine Jesmer who wrote Number One With A Bullet in 1972, depicting a syndicate-orientated record industry, also drew the ire of readers who read parallels to Motown Records, and faced death threats. Hopefully cooler attitudes will prevail this time around.

To further help set the mood, Bego has conjured up very distinct word pictures providing the reader with sweeping mental images of the elaborate costumes of the characters, luxurious surroundings and venues. To add to the colorful characters, Bego has also written a number of song lyrics that help set the tone of the individual groups.

This reader found the climax to be quite satisfying and recommends a second reading to take in the action that subtly transpires while under that cocktail stupor! Whether you like your liquid poison stirred, shaken or dirty, it's all here, so pour yourself a stiff one and enjoy!

Comment [[http://www.amazon.com/review/R3U6ZONBOAQRPO/ref=cm_cr_dp_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=1627092889&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=283155&store=books#wasThisHelpful) |

marv2
01-28-2013, 08:49 PM
This one sounds interesting . Thanks Mark!

smark21
01-28-2013, 08:56 PM
LOL at the claim that Bego has written 59 best sellers! I wonder if the murderer is a character based on Mirage?

R. Mark Desjardins
01-29-2013, 05:20 PM
Smark 21, I have to concede to the fact that some of Mark Bego's "59 books" are actually updated reissues, so the total count may be closer to 50, but non the less, that is a very respectful amount of published books. I would further a guess, that not all were "best sellers," but it seems that he did make best selling lists in major markets, so we have to give him credit for that.

I see that Bego has announced plans to continue the adventures of his "Motor City Music" loving detective, Marcus Rusk for three proposed sequels to his first full length novel, "Murder At Motor City Records." Of course, talk is cheap, but I have to admit that I am intrigued enough by this detective character to purchase a potential second novel when it gets published.

All successful mystery writers know that the key to success is building a following for a sympathetic lead character. Regardless of what one may think of Bego's past output, I for one think he has hit pay dirt here and that he may just get recognized as a serious fiction author. Time will tell how this plays out.

Roberta75
01-29-2013, 05:32 PM
Smark 21, I have to concede to the fact that some of Mark Bego's "59 books" are actually updated reissues, so the total count may be closer to 50, but non the less, that is a very respectful amount of published books. I would further a guess, that not all were "best sellers," but it seems that he did make best selling lists in major markets, so we have to give him credit for that.

I see that Bego has announced plans to continue the adventures of his "Motor City Music" loving detective, Marcus Rusk for three proposed sequels to his first full length novel, "Murder At Motor City Records." Of course, talk is cheap, but I have to admit that I am intrigued enough by this detective character to purchase a potential second novel when it gets published.

All successful mystery writers know that the key to success is building a following for a sympathetic lead character. Regardless of what one may think of Bego's past output, I for one think he has hit pay dirt here and that he may just get recognized as a serious fiction author. Time will tell how this plays out.

Well Mr Beggos book on Whitney Houston was a real hatchet job. I prayed to God her dear Mother Cissy didn't ever see it because it was tabloid sordid trash and I'm real sorry if my words offend you but much to my better judgement I bought that book and as a consumer I have a right to my opinion.
There was no thought for the grief and pain and suffering our beloved Miss Cissy Houston was going through. No thought about all the tears this dear saintly lady was shedding for her baby who had only died months before. Shame on Mark Beggo.

The good book of Proverbs rightly tells us, “For lack of wood the fire goes out, And where there is no whisperer, contention quiets down.”

Mr Beggo has make his money peddling half truths and gossip and that is a grave sin IMO.

Roberta

R. Mark Desjardins
01-29-2013, 06:16 PM
Roberta75,
While I've been a member on this site, I have read many of your posts and replies and have come to respect your opinions and outlooks. Truth be told, I haven't read any of Mark Bego's more recent musical biographies, so I can't comment directly on what you've stated, however I will concede that you may well have put out some good points to ponder.

You may have read that I myself have been working for many years on a film actress biography, and all I can say is that many of the people I interviewed seemed very protective of the subject. A fair biographer should NEVER set out to destroy an icon, but it has been made very clear to me that everyone has a public persona, a private persona and a secret persona. Balancing all three of these "selves" in proper proportion is a very difficult feat to accomplish without ruining the reputation of the subject at hand.

That said, being hurtful for the sake of selling books is unconscionable. Thank you for taking time to read and reply to my book review.

Roberta75
01-29-2013, 06:23 PM
Roberta75,
While I've been a member on this site, I have read many of your posts and replies and have come to respect your opinions and outlooks. Truth be told, I haven't read any of Mark Bego's more recent musical biographies, so I can't comment directly on what you've stated, however I will concede that you may well have put out some good points to ponder.

You may have read that I myself have been working for many years on a film actress biography, and all I can say is that many of the people I interviewed seemed very protective of the subject. A fair biographer should NEVER set out to destroy an icon, but it has been made very clear to me that everyone has a public persona, a private persona and a secret persona. Balancing all three of these "selves" in proper proportion is a very difficult feat to accomplish without ruining the reputation of the subject at hand.

That said, being hurtful for the sake of selling books is unconscionable. Thank you for taking time to read and reply to my book review.

Thank you for your kind and respectful response my dear.

My very best regards to you.

Roberta

smark21
01-29-2013, 09:14 PM
I’ve only read two pieces of Mark Bego writing: Martha Reeves autobiography in which he’s credited as co writer and the Supremes magazine. Martha’s book was a quick read. The magazine became a bit tedious to read due to repetitive word usage. My understanding is that many of his biographies are quick cut and paste jobs in which he primarily cites press and media sources and doesn’t do much primary research. But again, I’ve never read any of them so I’m going by hearsay. If I see this new mystery book at a paperback rack, I might buy it to read on my next plane trip as I’m curious to find out who he borrowed from. I highly suspect the character based on Diana Ross is the murderer. But I certainly have no expectations that his mystery will be anywhere close to Hammett, Cain, Chandler, or Thompson when it comes to noir writing. They became masters of their craft.

smark21
01-29-2013, 09:18 PM
Here's a list of Mark Bego books at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_at_ep_srch?_encoding=UTF8&field-author=Mark%20Bego&search-alias=books&sort=relevancerank