PDA

View Full Version : The Supremes Final Farewell Show in Drury Lane

test

jobeterob
01-28-2013, 08:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MelXKglifBA

smark21
01-28-2013, 09:07 PM
Vegas Disco big band arrangements and oversinging. Not a great combination IMO, but I’m sure visually the show was most enjoyable.

marv2
01-28-2013, 09:19 PM
Vegas Disco big band arrangements and oversinging. Not a great combination IMO, but I’m sure visually the show was most enjoyable.

I was sent the audio of the concert about a month or two after it occurred. It sounded alright back then, but now it sounds dated and too Vegasy.

antceleb12
01-29-2013, 08:23 AM
You know, you always hear about the DRATS 1969 farewell, but you never hear anything about their real farewell in 1977 - in England, of all places. I've heard, though, that the show was quite a spectacle and that it was highly attended. Of course, I only know what I know from Mary's book. Does anyone know anything about [[or saw) the Drury Lane farewell?

milven
01-29-2013, 08:36 AM
I always felt cheated that their final performance was not in the states. Everyone knew about the DRATS final performance in Vegas for months. Did the audience know that they were watching the final performance of the Supremes, or was it something that was announced after the fact?

Roberta75
01-29-2013, 08:59 AM
You know, you always hear about the DRATS 1969 farewell, but you never hear anything about their real farewell in 1977 - in England, of all places. I've heard, though, that the show was quite a spectacle and that it was highly attended. Of course, I only know what I know from Mary's book. Does anyone know anything about [[or saw) the Drury Lane farewell?

"in England of all places"

Motown and the supremes are loved in England so why shouldnt it be there. We in the US had all but given up on the supremes so it was fitting that they did they last show in England. We're talking about our closest ally which had a huge record buying public. We are not talking about north Korea or so other dark communist country.

Roberta

westgrandboulevard
01-29-2013, 09:10 AM
Thank you Roberta, for speaking up...

You are absolutely correct, Motown and The Supremes are much loved here in England, and also the United Kingdom.

No personal offence taken at the quote "in England of all places", and I imagine none intended, as I can understand it would have been extremely disappointing to US fans not to have had the chance to attend the 'farewell' performance.

And yes, we were aware that it represented a special but sad occasion for Mary, who was to leave The Supremes, and pursue a solo career.

Unless I'm wrong, it was assumed at the time that The Supremes would continue with a new member......

Someone may be able to help me out with this, but we had a thread on this very same subject last year, which would be of interest to antceleb12 and milven.....

captainjames
01-29-2013, 09:45 AM
Yes, Mary Wilson was going solo and Scherrie and Susaye were going to carry on with another girl singer whose name was not announced at this last engagement. I am glad England got the opportunity to see them last. England Loved them !!!

Mary, Scherrie and Susaye were great solo artists. I saw them in Detroit as a group and well I will leave it as just that. I saw the final Supremes.

milven
01-29-2013, 11:08 AM
Then, I guess the audience thought that they were watching Mary's farewell performance with the Supremes and not the final performance of The Supremes.

marv2
01-29-2013, 12:08 PM
Then, I guess the audience thought that they were watching Mary's farewell performance with the Supremes and not the final performance of The Supremes.

They were correct. It was Mary's farewell and billed as such. It was not until months later did it become known that it was the last official performance of the Supremes. June 12, 1977.

luke
01-29-2013, 09:20 PM
Did their last US performance get any special attention?

marv2
01-29-2013, 09:25 PM
You know I don't really remember. I do remember reading several times that Mary was leaving in the U.S. press. Here's their final t.v. performance with Mary from March 1977:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in1m0hJNKok

smark21
01-29-2013, 09:32 PM
What was their last US concert performance? I hope it wasn’t the notorious MSG oldies show.

skooldem1
01-29-2013, 09:35 PM
Oh my. At least when they became DRATS, the Supremes may have been a few feet back but they still had spotlights on them. In this clip, you can't even tell who is singing in the back, because they are not even in the light. Who was ego trippin'?

marv2
01-29-2013, 10:02 PM
Oh my. At least when they became DRATS, the Supremes may have been a few feet back but they still had spotlights on them. In this clip, you can't even tell who is singing in the back, because they are not even in the light. Who was ego trippin'?

Motown, Pedro Ferrer and Mike Douglas' production staff! LOL!!!

jobeterob
01-29-2013, 11:14 PM
Mary learned well from Diana and Berry. The real issue which she now acknowledges was not that she couldn't sing; it was that she didn't have that distinctive voice that she says Diane had and Jean Terrell had. She also should have left in about 1973 when things fell apart for the Supremes. And perhaps she should have tried to become a jazz singer which was much more suited to her singing style. And skipped Pedro altogether.

antceleb12
01-29-2013, 11:26 PM
"in England of all places"

Motown and the supremes are loved in England so why shouldnt it be there. We in the US had all but given up on the supremes so it was fitting that they did they last show in England. We're talking about our closest ally which had a huge record buying public. We are not talking about north Korea or so other dark communist country.

Roberta

In no part of that message did I say or imply such a thing, and I resent the insinuation. What I meant was that England is not the Supremes' country of origin. A lot of groups who give a farewell performance do it in their home country, so I thought it was unusual that they didn't give their farewell in the US.

I always felt cheated that their final performance was not in the states.

This is what I was trying to get at.

antceleb12
01-29-2013, 11:31 PM
Did their last US performance get any special attention?

Luke, I seem to remember reading in Mary's second book that it was a relatively big occasion. I don't recall offhand the specifics of that night. Of course, it's just one source.