PDA

View Full Version : Flo

test

Methuselah2
01-26-2013, 07:55 PM
There are just a couple of days left to hear the audio clip in Woodward's thread--on this board; the thread is titled:

SUZI QUATRO BBC INTERVIEW WITH AL ABRAMS 1/24/2013
[[Woodward posted this on 1/25/2013.)

The entire interview is just terrific. Wonderful in a very special way. And the specialness of it is Al.

And then Al mentions Flo. It's brief. But I'll say no more. You need to hear Al say it himself.

Perhaps of related interest:

In late 1966, I was very fortunate to see The Supremes in performance at St. Joseph's College in Philadelphia. A great, really exceptional show. As they came out on stage, wearing the raspberry-colored sequined gowns they had also worn on the Hollywood Palace singing YOU KEEP ME HANGIN' ON, I was immediately transported. I had seen them perform a few times before but this time seemed very special. Perhaps it was everything that had gone on and into their career up to that point. It was certainly the pinnacle of their partnership as Diana, Mary, and Flo. And their beauty and skill and sensational blend of voices sure showed.

Once the show ended, the audience dispersed quickly and left the premises. But I walked around the college auditorium's building for about a half-hour, sort of walking off the elation of just having seen the show. And I came upon a limo parked in back. No one was around, not a single soul in sight, but the limo door was wide open. Of course, I looked in. Of course, I didn't expect to see anyone. But there they were in the back seat--Florence at the far end, Mary in the middle, Diana at the end by the open door. I could not believe my eyes. I don't recall exactly what happened next but the next thing I knew I was sitting on the floor of the limo, right by Diana's feet. I don't recall asking to come in, I don't remember being asked to come in but, suddenly, I was in. Diana never said a word to me but she kept looking right at me. And she had the most incredible eyes I had ever seen. There was a considerable amount of the white of her eye showing below her iris, above the lower lid, and I had never seen eyes like that before. Beautiful doesn't nearly describe it. Mary was so gorgeous. And friendly. She said a few words to me and handed me an autographed group photo. And then there was Flo. She looked absolutely regal; truly spectacular. But she was so warm and friendly in her manner. I remember her saying that they had an already signed photo of all of them, and then I just started gushing about the show. I remember her beautiful, happy smile as I spoke, and that she seemed to be getting a kick out it. I got out of the limo, someone was suddenly there to close the door, and the limo took off.

I made it home but stayed up half the night listening to Supremes' records. That was the only thing I wanted to--or could--do. How I made it to school the next day, I will never know.

marv2
01-26-2013, 09:16 PM
Florence had the goods! She should have been a solo superstar just as well.

rod_rick
01-26-2013, 10:01 PM
There are just a couple of days left to hear the audio clip in Woodward's thread SUZI QUATRO BBC INTERVIEW WITH AL ABRAMS. The entire interview is just terIrific. Wonderful in a very special way. And the specialness of it is Al.

And then Al mentions Flo. It's brief. But I'll say no more. You need to hear Al say it himself.

Perhaps of related interest:

In late 1966, I was very fortunate to see The Supremes in performance at St. Joseph's College in Philadelphia. A great, really exceptional show. As they came out on stage, wearing the raspberry-colored sequined gowns they had also worn on the Hollywood Palace singing YOU KEEP ME HANGIN' ON, I was immediately transported. I had seen them perform a few times before but this time seemed very special. Perhaps it was everything that had gone on and into their career up to that point. It was certainly the pinnacle of their partnership as Diana, Mary, and Flo. And their beauty and skill and sensational blend of voices sure showed.

Once the show ended, the audience dispersed quickly and left the premises. But I walked around the college auditorium's building for about a half-hour, sort of walking off the elation of just having seen the show. And I came upon a limo parked in back. No one was around but the limo door was wide open. Of course, I looked in. Of course, I didn't expect to see anyone. But there they were in the back seat--Florence at the far end, Mary in the middle, Diana at the end by the open door. I could not believe my eyes. I don't recall exactly what happened next but the next thing I knew I was sitting on the floor of the limo, right by Diana's feet. I don't recall asking to come in, I don't remember being asked to come in but, suddenly, I was in. Diana never said a word to me but she kept looking right at me. And she had the most incredible eyes I had ever seen. There was a considerable amount of the white of her eye showing below her iris, above the lower lid, and I had never seen eyes like that before. Beautiful doesn't nearly describe it. Mary was so gorgeous. And friendly. She said a few words to me and handed me an autographed group photo. And then there was Flo. She looked absolutely regal; truly spectacular. But she was so warm and friendly in her manner. I remember her saying that they had an already signed photo of all of them, and then I just gushed about the show. I remember her beautiful, happy smile as I spoke, and that she seemed to be getting a kick out it. I got out of the limo, someone was suddenly there to close the door, and the limo took off.

I made it home but stayed up half the night listening to Supremes' records. That was the only thing I wanted--or could--do. How I made it to school the next day, I will never know.

Would PLEASE provide a link to the interview? Thanks much

marv2
01-26-2013, 11:37 PM
Here you go:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pz1hb

franjoy56
01-27-2013, 01:27 AM
Here you go:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pz1hb

Thanks Marv for providing the link, I am not surprised to hear Al Abrams say he was most influenced by flo's voice and his favorite artist. Flo could sing, and I find it ironic that Flo's 2nd Supremes single"Buttered Popcorn" was played along with "Stop In The Name Of Love" I hear Flo singing on "Stop" andantes or not. and I am sure Al knows more than we ever do about Flo and what and why, where and when of the real deal of 1967.

rod_rick
01-27-2013, 11:35 AM
Thanks Marv for providing the link, I am not surprised to hear Al Abrams say he was most influenced by flo's voice and his favorite artist. Flo could sing, and I find it ironic that Flo's 2nd Supremes single"Buttered Popcorn" was played along with "Stop In The Name Of Love" I hear Flo singing on "Stop" andantes or not. and I am sure Al knows more than we ever do about Flo and what and why, where and when of the real deal of 1967.

Thanks also for the link Marv. I wonder what Al meant when he said that Flo's husband sabbatoged her career? We all know that he didn't have the skills to manage Flo I wonder if Al was he implying something more than that.

Jimi LaLumia
01-27-2013, 12:03 PM
what, really, is there to know? she fought in public with the guy who signs the checks, she started to gain weight, drink and miss shows, she made a spectacle of herself on stage sticking her belly out, and she was fired... and if I were in Gordy's shoes, I would have fired her too...her husband got between Ross paying off Florence's mortgage on the house, that seems to be common knowledge, Ross did not like him at all, and didn't trust him with the money.. the husband was her solo career downfall; she, herself, was her Supremes career downfall..

Shaqueetha_Jackson
01-27-2013, 12:19 PM
florence blondie Ballard was the most talented woman at motown

stalebagel
01-27-2013, 01:09 PM
Thanks Woodward for posting the interview with Suzi Quatro. I am working on getting a permanent version from the UK.
Methuselah2, your story about meeting Flo just underscores what a gracious woman she was to all of her fans. And I hope I get to meet you sometime too. We could have a great chat.

Methuselah2
01-27-2013, 02:40 PM
Stalebagel - I was very grateful to Woodward for posting that wonderful interview. It would have been easy to have missed it without his post. It was for that reason that I didn't include the link because I didn't want to take anything away from what Woodward had done. I thought it best simply to support and help clue others about it and just mention where Woodward's thread could be found, say something about Flo's name turning up in the interview, and, in that way, help ensure that people wouldn't miss seeing Woodward's own comments that he had written on his post.

It would be great to meet you someday, too, Stalebagel. Ya know, once they're heated up, stalebagels are just as good as the fresh ones. It was an unforgettable experience meeting The Supremes that afternoon so many years ago. Each of them was so memorable in her own, unique way. But all things considered that occurred during that chance encounter in the limo, Flo left the most lasting impression simply because of the way she was. At that moment for me, she was clearly singing "lead."

franjoy56
01-27-2013, 07:14 PM
what, really, is there to know? she fought in public with the guy who signs the checks, she started to gain weight, drink and miss shows, she made a spectacle of herself on stage sticking her belly out, and she was fired... and if I were in Gordy's shoes, I would have fired her too...her husband got between Ross paying off Florence's mortgage on the house, that seems to be common knowledge, Ross did not like him at all, and didn't trust him with the money.. the husband was her solo career downfall; she, herself, was her Supremes career downfall..

There is plenty more to know that we do not know about, yes Flo made some bad choices picking Tommy Chapman to guide her career, and otherwise, she should have picked someone to support her career and mold her, she should have let Ross pay the mortgage, and the check should have went straight to the bank through Flo, Diana and Flo were hardly speaking by 73. But on the positive side in defense of Flo, she was hardly fat, if you look at those photos from 66 on she was shapely but compared to Diana she looked larger. The photos of the Supremes on stage neve revealed Flo has being tipsey. The truth of the matter is that Berry wanted to promote Diana Ross and if it meant pushing Mary and Flo into the background so deep you couldn't hear them, well thats where Flo had to act out and it was to her determint in being in the group. Flo had the voice that kept the Supremes The Supremes, After which the Supremes sound was compromised and the Andantes were the Supremes, even with Mary and Cindy taking up the performances on stage.

skooldem1
01-27-2013, 11:41 PM
Flo's voice as well as Diana's and Mary's were integral to their initial success. It was Flo's voice that was integral in the background for "Come see about me". But it is important to note that it was Mary's voice who was the integral ingredient for their first number one song "Where did our love go". It was also Mary's vocals that remained familiar for the sound of the group, well after Flo left. You can notice this in their live performances [[Talk of the town and Farewell). Diana's high pitched voice and Mary's low voice were important factors and Flo's voice pulled them all together. I think it is important to not downplay Mary Wilson's vocals in the success of the Supremes, and not put the success of that sound squarely on Florence. I know that this post along with other "Flo" post may seem like I am trying to downplay her, but I just feel like there is no reason to make it seem that Flo was more important to the sound than Mary's voice.

skooldem1
01-28-2013, 12:08 AM
Flo and Diana were speaking. I recall a story where Diana came to visit Florence and they went up to her room to catch up and were there for a while. No they weren't on the phone every week but they did reconnect. If anyone knows more about this story, please share. Florence also called Diana around the time of Mahogany- their last conversation to say she was ready to get back into singing. You wouldn't do this with an enemy. They were not sisters, but they were close enough to be pretend "sisters". Sometimes those closest to you get on your nerves, but you still love them. I believe this was the case with Florence and Diana. They were two different kinds of people. They did things to disappoint one another, but in the end they did love each other. Remember, Flo said herself that she would rather deal with Diana than Mary, because Diana kept it real.

Shaqueetha_Jackson
01-28-2013, 12:25 AM
There is plenty more to know that we do not know about, yes Flo made some bad choices picking Tommy Chapman to guide her career, and otherwise, she should have picked someone to support her career and mold her, she should have let Ross pay the mortgage, and the check should have went straight to the bank through Flo, Diana and Flo were hardly speaking by 73. But on the positive side in defense of Flo, she was hardly fat, if you look at those photos from 66 on she was shapely but compared to Diana she looked larger. The photos of the Supremes on stage neve revealed Flo has being tipsey. The truth of the matter is that Berry wanted to promote Diana Ross and if it meant pushing Mary and Flo into the background so deep you couldn't hear them, well thats where Flo had to act out and it was to her determint in being in the group. Flo had the voice that kept the Supremes The Supremes, After which the Supremes sound was compromised and the Andantes were the Supremes, even with Mary and Cindy taking up the performances on stage.

Thankyou franjoy for keeping it reel for Florence bloinde ballard

Shaqueetha_Jackson
01-28-2013, 12:27 AM
Flo and Diana were speaking. I recall a story where Diana came to visit Florence and they went up to her room to catch up and were there for a while. No they weren't on the phone every week but they did reconnect. If anyone knows more about this story, please share. Florence also called Diana around the time of Mahogany- their last conversation to say she was ready to get back into singing. You wouldn't do this with an enemy. They were not sisters, but they were close enough to be pretend "sisters". Sometimes those closest to you get on your nerves, but you still love them. I believe this was the case with Florence and Diana. They were two different kinds of people. They did things to disappoint one another, but in the end they did love each other. Remember, Flo said herself that she would rather deal with Diana than Mary, because Diana kept it real.

If florence Blonde Ballard forgive bug eyes for what she did she reealy is a saint

franjoy56
01-28-2013, 02:53 AM
Diana and Flo may have have reconnected sometime after Flo lost her ist home, because if they were speaking prior, Flo and Diana would have came to terms on the mortgage issue. From what i read Flo called Diana around 74 or so and mentioned "Mahogany" but she really enjoyed Diana in Lady Sings the Blues, there was no communication during the period Flo lost her home between Ross and Ballard. Perhaps, Al Abrams can shed more light on this. We are not saying Mary was not an important factor in the Supremes she was just as important even more so when Flo left for keeping it togehter, but make no mistake about it during the Supremes peak years, Flo held up that background and it is her voice that come through on most of those singles: Come See About Me, Back In My Arms Again, Nothing But Heartaches, I Hear A Symphony, You Keep Me Hangin on, Baby Love, Love Is here, and Now Your Gone, and endless and endless array of album track, Penny Pincher, Long Gone Lover, Its All Your Fault, It Makes No Difference Now, Save Me A Star, Going Down for the third time and countless others, This thread was about Flo and I am recalling all the musical memories I have of her and I can totally relate to what Al Abrams said in the thread. Flo story is one of the greatest tragedies of the Motown era, and I am greatful Jennifer did it some justice by attempting to shed light on it. Like she said "you will never be forgotten"

franjoy56
01-28-2013, 04:02 AM
According to The Lost Supreme Flo told Benjaminson in 1975:

"Diana would come to town and wouldn't even call to say hello or anything, Flo Said.
, "Flo did finally manage to reach Diana by telephone in 1975, saying
"she's back to the Diane I kew when we were growing up" "We had a very long very nice woman to woman talk, Flo said she seemed more relaxed, She making movies, and I had to give her credit, I went to see that one move Lady sing the blues and I must say I cried, I did I guess because we grew up togther the three of us were much like sisters, She really did a fantastic job in that film I give her all the credit in the world." so Flo had no animousity toward Diana by this time, but she did say:
"I use to say to myself How could we have grown up togehter not liking each other" I think we all have prolems". On Mary "Mary always kept in touch Mary never forgot the kids at Christmas she would alway gvie them whatever she could. So in her own way Flo loved her two sister regardless of what has happened.

marv2
01-28-2013, 08:21 AM

Well in one of Florence's last interviews before she died, Dave Dials asked her point blank if she heard from any of the other Supremes and Flo said no other than Mary stopping by whenever she was in town and sending postcards from the road. She did not mention any communication with with Diana.

marv2
01-28-2013, 08:24 AM
Here is the interviewing I was referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h26a14BHV2U

marv2
01-28-2013, 08:26 AM
Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89RwFURi-a8

smark21
01-28-2013, 08:43 AM
....Poor Flo

captainjames
01-28-2013, 09:23 AM
Blondie has her place in history as a member of one of the biggest groups in the USA [[and then some). All three went in different directions,,,,, they grew up and grew apart. It reminds me of a friend of mine that I grew up with from grade school and sometime when he comes home from DC he calls and sometimes he don't.

I have often wondered that since Barbara stayed so close to Detroit and Southfield if she ever called or went by to see Flo. Mary has mentioned that she stays in touch with Barbara but she always remains a mystery to me even up to the day of the interviews for the Supremes box set.

ALso, I don't think we should say Poor Flo/Blondie because she got to see and do more in the few years that she spent in this world than most of us will do in a lifetime. A lot can be said for the way she was managed and who was talking to her at that time but hey Love makes you do foolish things.

skooldem1
01-28-2013, 10:30 AM
Rick B. [[bayoumotownman)
5-Doyen
Username: bayoumotownman

Post Number: 316
Posted From: 152.163.101.14
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 8:16 am:

I might also add that if the reader is truly objective, he will come away from Randy's book knowing that Diana and Flo really cared about each other. Randy discusses Flo's last phone call to Diana only weeks before her death. Flo went and saw Mahogany and felt like she wanted to talk to Diana. It was a lovely conversation.

In the end, although Flo held anger toward Diana, to a lesser degree Mary and moreover toward BG, Flo admitted that she had been difficult. This is all spelled out in the book.

Nobody knows the pressures the Supremes were under in the mid 60s. They worked literally 7 days a week. It's amazing they lived through this. It was only natural that one or all would have cracked. The only genuine vacation time they had from 64 to 66 was when Diana collapsed onstage in Boston. The lady had to be hospitalized to get some rest. And Flo was there for Diana.

I also know of a visit from a member of Flo's family in 1970. This was edited out of Mysteries and Scandals I guess for time constraints.

It was months after Diana's last show with the Supremes. She still had a house on the same street as Florence. Diana showed up at Flo's one day while Flo was entertaining various members of her family. Flo and Diana embraced and then Flo invited her upstairs for some privacy. They emerged an hour later laughing and giggling like girlfriends. Yes, they had bad times, but what two friends don't.

I'm sure we all have a friend, or even a best friend. I have one that drives me up a wall now and then and I'll go a few weeks without talking. We've had knockdown, drag outs, go weeks, in one case years without speaking, but inevitably one of us will pick up the phone and smooth it out. When you have a history with someone that's how it works. Diana and Florence had a history. When it got down to it, they owed each other something.

When Florence Ballard died, her heart was not heavy over Diana. It was over herself.

http://faac.us/adf/messages/131452/135679.html?1183644358

franjoy56
01-28-2013, 01:40 PM
5-Doyen

I might also add that if the reader is truly objective, he will come away from Randy's book knowing that Diana and Flo really cared about each other. Randy discusses Flo's last phone call to Diana only weeks before her death. Flo went and saw Mahogany and felt like she wanted to talk to Diana. It was a lovely conversation.

In the end, although Flo held anger toward Diana, to a lesser degree Mary and moreover toward BG, Flo admitted that she had been difficult. This is all spelled out in the book.

Nobody knows the pressures the Supremes were under in the mid 60s. They worked literally 7 days a week. It's amazing they lived through this. It was only natural that one or all would have cracked. The only genuine vacation time they had from 64 to 66 was when Diana collapsed onstage in Boston. The lady had to be hospitalized to get some rest. And Flo was there for Diana.

I also know of a visit from a member of Flo's family in 1970. This was edited out of Mysteries and Scandals I guess for time constraints.

It was months after Diana's last show with the Supremes. She still had a house on the same street as Florence. Diana showed up at Flo's one day while Flo was entertaining various members of her family. Flo and Diana embraced and then Flo invited her upstairs for some privacy. They emerged an hour later laughing and giggling like girlfriends. Yes, they had bad times, but what two friends don't.

I'm sure we all have a friend, or even a best friend. I have one that drives me up a wall now and then and I'll go a few weeks without talking. We've had knockdown, drag outs, go weeks, in one case years without speaking, but inevitably one of us will pick up the phone and smooth it out. When you have a history with someone that's how it works. Diana and Florence had a history. When it got down to it, they owed each other something.

When Florence Ballard died, her heart was not heavy over Diana. It was over herself.

http://faac.us/adf/messages/131452/135679.html?1183644358This is wonderful to hear that Diana came by Flo's house months after Ross herself left the Supremes, this story has never been publicized I wonder where it came from assuming it is so. What really would have been fantastic is that Diana or Mary could have found a way to have Flo appear on the stage during the Farewell performance for even the last show, that would have been putting out any left over tensions between them. Dreamgirls used that twist in both the play and movie. Mary is credit for doing it in 1974 bless her heart.

rod_rick
01-28-2013, 07:42 PM
This is wonderful to hear that Diana came by Flo's house months after Ross herself left the Supremes, this story has never been publicized I wonder where it came from assuming it is so. What really would have been fantastic is that Diana or Mary could have found a way to have Flo appear on the stage during the Farewell performance for even the last show, that would have been putting out any left over tensions between them. Dreamgirls used that twist in both the play and movie. Mary is credit for doing it in 1974 bless her heart.

The problem was Berry Gordy was the driving force behind the Supremes, I'm sure Mary and MAYBE to a lessor degree Diana would not have mind FLorence being in Veags for DIana's Farewell performance with the group. Al Abrams said that Tommy sabatoged[[sp) FLos career I believe solo and with the group. It seems that whenever these ladies fall in love some man come in and derail them. There was a man in the equation for most of the ladies exit from the group Flo [[Tommy), DIana [[Berry), Cindy [[Charles), Jean [[Mr Thompson), and Lynda [[Trevor). Scherrie & Susaye were there until the group disbanded. I believe Scherrie was still dating Lamont Dozier, and Susaye was married to Ed Brown.

marv2
01-28-2013, 08:14 PM
5-Doyen

http://faac.us/adf/messages/131452/135679.html?1183644358

Flo was also threatening to kick Diane's ass [[AGAIN) a year before over at Berry Gordy's Party!

marv2
01-28-2013, 08:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUwg2xW6PGM

nomis
01-29-2013, 02:04 PM
skool dem is correct - Diana had infrequent but civillised communication with Flo in her last few years..In the Benjamin interviews Flo found many of Diana's temperment moments slightly amusing..she was still unable to understand Diana's motives at times but she seemed to harbour no real ill feelings or Malice to her..it was Gordy she went to her grave hating..she despised everything about him from his processed hair to his shoes..she loathed him and I think him not attending her funeral showed the upmost disrespect..Ive said this before but I truly believe one of the most pinnacle moments in Blondies life that mapped her future was throwing the drink in his face at 20 Grand it was the ultimate insult from a women he wasnt even dating,an employee - look at what happened when Diana slapped him in Rome - he washed his hands of her career there and then..this was a man who had once made his living as a boxer theres an issue of masculine pride.. I believe the public humilation of these two events being witnessed at the two places Berry really wanted to be king - the 20 grand and on a film set - changed Flos and Diana's life..he didnt fight back,he couldnt so he washed his hands of both of them when the time suited him..I understand The Supremes motives and why each did what they did but I dont think I will ever understand Berry- he had a sadistic streak in him and used emotional blackmail,espionage and whole host of other pyschological tricks on nearly the whole roster of talent at Motown save Smokey..

franjoy56
01-30-2013, 01:22 AM
skool dem is correct - Diana had infrequent but civillised communication with Flo in her last few years..In the Benjamin interviews Flo found many of Diana's temperment moments slightly amusing..she was still unable to understand Diana's motives at times but she seemed to harbour no real ill feelings or Malice to her..it was Gordy she went to her grave hating..she despised everything about him from his processed hair to his shoes..she loathed him and I think him not attending her funeral showed the upmost disrespect..Ive said this before but I truly believe one of the most pinnacle moments in Blondies life that mapped her future was throwing the drink in his face at 20 Grand it was the ultimate insult from a women he wasnt even dating,an employee - look at what happened when Diana slapped him in Rome - he washed his hands of her career there and then..this was a man who had once made his living as a boxer theres an issue of masculine pride.. I believe the public humilation of these two events being witnessed at the two places Berry really wanted to be king - the 20 grand and on a film set - changed Flos and Diana's life..he didnt fight back,he couldnt so he washed his hands of both of them when the time suited him..I understand The Supremes motives and why each did what they did but I dont think I will ever understand Berry- he had a sadistic streak in him and used emotional blackmail,espionage and whole host of other pyschological tricks on nearly the whole roster of talent at Motown save Smokey..
This sums up the whole situation of Berry's way or the highway. This is a truly accurate summation, thank you for putting it this way.

Methuselah2
01-30-2013, 07:04 AM
Marv - I really appreciate your posting the 3 interview pieces with Flo. Hadn't heard them for a long time. And it was interesting to hear them now. The later years of her life seemed so difficult and sad, and it's easy to hear it in her voice. And then a bit of hopefulness at the propect of restarting her career. And finally, the party story. But it was Flo in her own voice, and that element alone made it important and necessary to listen to once again. Thanks for bringing it back.

marv2
01-30-2013, 08:18 AM
Marv - I really appreciate your posting the 3 interview pieces with Flo. Hadn't heard them for a long time. And it was interesting to hear them now. The later years of her life seemed so difficult and sad, and it's easy to hear it in her voice. And then a bit of hopefulness at the propect of restarting her career. And finally, the party story. But it was Flo in her own voice, and that element alone made it important and necessary to listen to once again. Thanks for bringing it back.

You are very welcome. Yes, her life was very difficult in the later years. No one talks about the muggings she endured or the embarassment of being on national television as a star to taking public transportation just a few years later! How did that happen? Why did it happen? Did it really need to get that bad for Flo?

nomis
02-01-2013, 08:10 PM
no..things should never have got that bad for Blondie...Marv..,,how much did she got from both Supremes accounts when she was fired ..? what - close to a 100,000//the Supremes were selling all over the world..I think the 3 of them got stiffed royally by Gordy..I love how that Doctor told Flo when they put her in the mental ward..that there was nothing wrong with her she got ripped off...she seemed to take strength from that conversation with the Doctor,,she never even had a Supremes record in her house..she gave all her copies away to anyone who wanted one..but no matter what she was a Supreme for 10 number one singles and no one can ever take that away from Blondie.....

franjoy56
02-02-2013, 01:26 AM
no..things should never have got that bad for Blondie...Marv..,,how much did she got from both Supremes accounts when she was fired ..? what - close to a 100,000//the Supremes were selling all over the world..I think the 3 of them got stiffed royally by Gordy..I love how that Doctor told Flo when they put her in the mental ward..that there was nothing wrong with her she got ripped off...she seemed to take strength from that conversation with the Doctor,,she never even had a Supremes record in her house..she gave all her copies away to anyone who wanted one..but no matter what she was a Supreme for 10 number one singles and no one can ever take that away from Blondie.....
If this is any consolation, there were happy times in Flo's life post supremes, like Flo performing at President Nixon's Inauguration, the Chicago Parade with Godfrey Cambridge and Bill Cosby a year earlier, and the concert in 1975 where she performed on the bill with Lily Tomlin, Joanne Chessamar [[spelling) and or Angela Davis, so Flo had her post supreme moments, and I absolutely love tracks on the solo cd "Like You Babe" & "Love ain't Love" & "forever Faithful" &"My Heart"

marv2
02-02-2013, 01:33 AM
If this is any consolation, there were happy times in Flo's life post supremes, like Flo performing at President Nixon's Inauguration, the Chicago Parade with Godfrey Cambridge and Bill Cosby a year earlier, and the concert in 1975 where she performed on the bill with Lily Tomlin, Joanne Chessamar [[spelling) and or Angela Davis, so Flo had her post supreme moments, and I absolutely love tracks on the solo cd "Like You Babe" & "Love ain't Love" & "forever Faithful" &"My Heart"

She also performed solo on "Swingin' Time" in 1968.

smark21
02-02-2013, 02:26 PM
Was Florence Ballard a Nixon supporter?

marv2
02-02-2013, 02:46 PM
Was Florence Ballard a Nixon supporter?

I doubt it. It was just a gig. Mary Wilson performed for one of George W. Bush Inagural Balls. She also did a 2 hour concert at the White House for Bill Clinton in 2000.

nomis
02-02-2013, 06:51 PM
Bill Cosby was powerful enough to ignore the black listing of Flo...then he worked with Diana on her first tv speacil then he had the balls to invite Mary on stage at Motown returns to the Apollo..and Flo was certainly Black balled..the president of ABC told her Gordy was his golf partner..ABC didnt even service most Detroit radio stations with her 2 singles..Tommy had to go around town with a box of records handing them out..and powerful djs told them they were to scared to play her stuff for fear of upsetting Motown..

stephanie
02-04-2013, 10:18 PM
Dont forget Mary allowed Flo to stay at her house with her Mom. I know Flo said she would rather deal with Miss Ross but its not like Mary didnt do something for Flo. Cindy and Mary also tried to ressurect Flos career after the Magic Mountain appearance but Flo was too worn out and didnt want to do anything. Flo may have harbored some resentment towards Mary since she was quiet about teaching Cindy the dance steps.

marv2
02-04-2013, 11:30 PM
Dont forget Mary allowed Flo to stay at her house with her Mom. I know Flo said she would rather deal with Miss Ross but its not like Mary didnt do something for Flo. Cindy and Mary also tried to ressurect Flos career after the Magic Mountain appearance but Flo was too worn out and didnt want to do anything. Flo may have harbored some resentment towards Mary since she was quiet about teaching Cindy the dance steps.

Let's not forget ,Mary was ordered to rehearse Cindy Birdsong by Mr. Gordy!

luke
02-04-2013, 11:54 PM
Flo still had self respect and intelligence to not sign a blank piece of paper per the Miss Ross check--she was getting the check with that condition. God knows what she would have been agreeing to had she signed it. Mary had the same integrity when it came to the RTL tour. Making money a god doesnt pay off ultimately. I have never heard of Diana visiting at Flo's house. Can you imagine Diana walking alone into Flo's house with her family there lol. Her wig wouldve come flyin out the front door before her. Flo also stayed with Mary's mother.

franjoy56
02-05-2013, 01:09 AM
well when I see how Destiny's Child managed to come together last night through Beyonce half time show, it was surely a show of unity, inspite of their mic's being turned down so its said, but it was wonderful to see them reunite. LIke i said it would have cleared the air, had the "Farewell" performance featured a must missed Flo on stage that ngiht for a supremes finale. I guess some egos were bigger than life.

supremester
02-05-2013, 02:29 AM
Berry didn't owe Flo Ballard anything. All he did was take a projects singing group and make them the second biggest selling act of the 1960's - if that wasn't good enough for Flo, then poor Flo indeed. I saw DMF and they were everything you would expect and more. Flo was special, no question about it and I missed her tremendously when Cindy arrived, however, it didn't change my interest in the group. In some ways, it got better. Flo was a slow learner and poor dancer, the TV show gigs got better instantly. I think Flo had a good sound for blending, but not so good for leads. Her CD is awful and the singles, weak. She was stupid enough to let a chauffeur manage her career and signed away her rights to royalties and gave her settlements over to an atty who ran off with most of it. That is not Berry Gordy's doing. He ran the biggest black owned company in the world, changed music & cultural history and created some of the best loved pop music ever - he didn't have time for petty squabbles over who got to sing lead. He saw potential in 1, and proved himself correct beyond his wildest dreams [[even Berry Gordy would never have predicted that over 50 years after signing them that 500-700 people would pay 36.25 to watch the skinny one rehearse!)
Motown was a business, a well run, ground-breaking business. I'm not happy about every thing that occurred, I certainly wouldn't want Flo or Mary to ever have to be working at this age to get by, but I'm the owner of a much, much smaller company. No way can I make every one happy - but I try. She couldn't cope, Mary could, Cindy could and none of them had half the stress and workload that Ross did. Berry had a record company to run and it, like all companies, was all about money. DR&TS made huge money - record money - he did it all correctly from that standpoint.

supremester
02-05-2013, 03:01 AM
Let's not forget that some people have very active imaginations. Nowhere has Mary said "Mr Gordy ORDERED me to train Cindy." Mary wanted to work, she wanted the group to continue. They needed 3 people in it, it made sense it would be her. Mary never stood up for Flo to Berry OR Diana, and never told Flo, "Listen, baby, Cindy is across the street at Caesar's Palace learning your part while WE'RE stuck in the now second rate Flamingo!" Get with it, Girl!"

I do not believe the blank paper version of the story. No one would sign blank pages. Miss Ross wouldn't do that and even if she was trying to pull something, she wouldn't expect Flo to sign blank pages. Common sense comes into play sometimes when stuff seems too crazy - it usually is.

Money may not be be a god, but remember Mary accepted the last RTL offer - she just did it too late and after letting her big bazoo blow off insults one too many times. Ask Mary today if she wishes she had accepted the offer in time. Ask her if she wishes she had that Godless 4 million. Mary's version doesn't include her refusal to sing with Lynda, Scherrie, Jean and Susaye as originally intended. The 70's Supremes fans want a reunion and there's only one ego stopping it, Blanche.

marv2
02-05-2013, 03:17 AM
Mr. Gordy ordered Mary Wilson to rehearse Cindy Birdsong!

supremester
02-05-2013, 03:28 AM
Great! Where did you read/hear that? We'd all like to see it.

Mr. Gordy ordered Mary Wilson to rehearse Cindy Birdsong!

floyjoy678
02-05-2013, 11:10 AM
Where is this story coming from about Diana giving Flo a loan with blank pages to sign on? I remember a similar story from Mary's book but it was never really implied that it was Diana, just a "popular recording artist" which could've been anyone at the time. The story I always heard was Diana tried to put money in Flo's account for the house and instead of getting through to Flo she ended up talking to Tommy who turned her away.

And there's quite a few stories of Flo and Diana keeping touch and still being friends over the years to her death but no one wants to hear it. They'd rather keep the story as Diana the evil villain, Flo the unsuspecting victim and Mary the poor little peacemaker caught in the middle.

skooldem1
02-05-2013, 11:27 AM
Let's not forget ,Mary was ordered to rehearse Cindy Birdsong by Mr. Gordy!

Mary was a puppet.

luke
02-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Dont assume things fljoy. I always try to report the facts. That blank paper story is quite known and reported in at least one of the Motown/Supreme books. I have also heard the story that Diana took Flo's call. I have never heard a story that she went to Flo's house.

marv2
02-05-2013, 02:01 PM
Mary was a puppet.

Mary was an employee that wanted to keep her job!

marv2
02-05-2013, 02:02 PM
Dont assume things fljoy. I always try to report the facts. That blank paper story is quite known and reported in at least one of the Motown/Supreme books. I have also heard the story that Diana took Flo's call. I have never heard a story that she went to Flo's house.

I have heard that Florence did not even have Diane's number or mailing address in the 70's.

franjoy56
02-05-2013, 03:59 PM
Flo had a great lead voice but people don't want to accept the fact that Gordy didn't like her r&b style "Buttered Popcorn" the 2nd single and "Ain't That Good News" which appeard on the last track of the Sam Cooke album were not promoted. Her leads on "Hey Baby" "Heavenly Father" & "Save Me a Star" sounds like great leads to me. Her recordings at ABC were ill fitting for her voice and they should have given her more Aretha type tracks like the lead "Like You babe" which was worthy of a single. ABC and Motown were in the same bed together. And if Diana really wanted to help pay Flo's mortgage she could have called one of her sisters who could have got in touch with Flo if she could not have gotten a hold of her by phone. Yes Diana was star orientated, but without Flo and Mary backing her on stage and on record on some of their biggest hits, we would not be here talking about how big DIANA ROSS has become. I read somewhere that Diana Ross was not a moneymaker for Motown during the 1970's her big records got a big push and the others like "Sleepin" "Surrender" "Reach Out I'll Be there" barely made a rador " however the "The Boss" should have went top 10, but Motown didn't get behind it.

marv2
02-05-2013, 05:09 PM
Flo had a great lead voice but people don't want to accept the fact that Gordy didn't like her r&b style "Buttered Popcorn" the 2nd single and "Ain't That Good News" which appeard on the last track of the Sam Cooke album were not promoted. Her leads on "Hey Baby" "Heavenly Father" & "Save Me a Star" sounds like great leads to me. Her recordings at ABC were ill fitting for her voice and they should have given her more Aretha type tracks like the lead "Like You babe" which was worthy of a single. ABC and Motown were in the same bed together. And if Diana really wanted to help pay Flo's mortgage she could have called one of her sisters who could have got in touch with Flo if she could not have gotten a hold of her by phone. Yes Diana was star orientated, but without Flo and Mary backing her on stage and on record on some of their biggest hits, we would not be here talking about how big DIANA ROSS has become. I read somewhere that Diana Ross was not a moneymaker for Motown during the 1970's her big records got a big push and the others like "Sleepin" "Surrender" "Reach Out I'll Be there" barely made a rador " however the "The Boss" should have went top 10, but Motown didn't get behind it.

Fran you just make too much darn sense! Yeah she could have easily sent the money to Pat or Linda Ballard [[Flo's sisters) and they could have paid it. A lot of the stories you are hearing now, after the fact are designed to make some not look so bad. Doesn't matter really because you cannot fool the one that is truly keeping score.......

captainjames
02-05-2013, 05:19 PM
I am going to respond about the money for Flo's home and why Diana wanted to deal with Flo. Ask Flo's daughters what happen to the money she set up for them in a trust fund. By the time they reached the proper age it was gone and spent by a family member is one of the reasons Diana only wanted to deal with Flo. I think one of the things we forget is that three or four women grew up with each other and they were aware of their siblings as well.

Also, "I'm Still Waiting" was big but not in the States. "Anit No Mountain High Enough" "Lady Sings The Blues Soundtrack" Touch Me in The Morning",,,,,etc......................so she was definitely selling.

supremester
02-05-2013, 06:04 PM
I agree with you Fran - those are all great leads by Flo - especially Like You Babe but you left out Silent Night. I still don't think she had a commercial sounding, or special enough sound to cut through on the radio. LuPine didn't give Flo a side either. I don't think the industry felt her, and that's why she ended up at....gulp ABC Records. She'd never go Pop, but even R&B wouldn't, I don't think embrace her much because her skills as a vocalist were, in my opinion, weak - and I loved her. Flo had a rare quality that people liked.

Don't kid yourself about Motown being behind The Boss. The company was sucking hind tit by 1979 and needed hits badly. They worked it like crazy and she opened The Tonight Show with it, but it just couldn't get play in secondary markets. If all a record needed was a push or "promotion" Reach Out and Touch would still be #1. You can't MAKE program directors play songs they think will lose the attention of their audience. Thats why Surrender, Touch, Bad Weather, Sleepin' [[someone please explain it's release as a single to me) Reach Out I'll Be There and lots more didn't hit. I don't believe they weren't pushed. when I first heard Touch and Bad Weather, I was horrified as I was when I learned Sleepin was a single. This stuff, even if you dig the record, was NEVER going to get played and you could promote it until Miss Ross eats hay with the horses and they still wouldn't get played. I think Remember Me was one of the greatest singles ever when it came out, but I can see it's formatting issues. I knew The Boss wouldn't hit. It probably sold as many 12" singles as it did 7".

franjoy56
02-06-2013, 12:15 AM
I agree with you Fran - those are all great leads by Flo - especially Like You Babe but you left out Silent Night. I still don't think she had a commercial sounding, or special enough sound to cut through on the radio. LuPine didn't give Flo a side either. I don't think the industry felt her, and that's why she ended up at....gulp ABC Records. She'd never go Pop, but even R&B wouldn't, I don't think embrace her much because her skills as a vocalist were, in my opinion, weak - and I loved her. Flo had a rare quality that people liked.

Don't kid yourself about Motown being behind The Boss. The company was sucking hind tit by 1979 and needed hits badly. They worked it like crazy and she opened The Tonight Show with it, but it just couldn't get play in secondary markets. If all a record needed was a push or "promotion" Reach Out and Touch would still be #1. You can't MAKE program directors play songs they think will lose the attention of their audience. Thats why Surrender, Touch, Bad Weather, Sleepin' [[someone please explain it's release as a single to me) Reach Out I'll Be There and lots more didn't hit. I don't believe they weren't pushed. when I first heard Touch and Bad Weather, I was horrified as I was when I learned Sleepin was a single. This stuff, even if you dig the record, was NEVER going to get played and you could promote it until Miss Ross eats hay with the horses and they still wouldn't get played. I think Remember Me was one of the greatest singles ever when it came out, but I can see it's formatting issues. I knew The Boss wouldn't hit. It probably sold as many 12" singles as it did 7".
Flo Ballard had a r&b voice plain and simple, her structure was within the Supremes, Gordy was not interested in promoting her vocals as a lead singer, I love her leads and i think she and Mary should have sung more leads on the lp tracks. If you listen to "You Keep Me Hangin On' the part where Flo comes in it is clear to me that she could have carried that whole song without any trouble and it still would have been a top ten record if not #1. I cannot see Flo's family getting their hands on the money that was put in escrow for the daughters until they were 21, that means only they can get the money, where did this story come from that flo's sisters got the money. I heard Lisa on the internet say the money was gone when it came time for them to collect.... Diana's recording career was spotty in ten years a hit every three years, I did not say she was not a big record seller it has been written that her record sales compared to Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder who were self contained artists were spotty at best and it was also documented that Motown did not make money on Diana Ross as a recording artist in the 1970's. in her defense in believe "The Boss" was one of the best records Diana ever made and it should have made the top ten. If Motown got behind it it somehow ran out of gas at #19. Another mistake Ross made was mixing the chic album that was made some of the best licks Nile Rogers put on that record never got the glory when that album was selling like mad in 1980.