jobeterob
01-25-2013, 06:47 PM
This was posted by Annette Helton & John Lester on Facebook

Features: Supremes, Vandellas, Marvelettes, Velvelettes and the Andantes

Music and Nightlife
January 24, 2013 at 3:00 pm
Motown Historical Museum to feature girl groups exhibit
By Susan Whitall

The exhibit “Girl Groups: The Grit, the Glamour, the Glory” will include girl group costumes and photos, many items from the singers themselves including the Marvelettes. [[Courtesy of Motown Archives)Motown's girl groups — the Supremes, The Vandellas, the Marvelettes the Velvelettes and the Andantes — will be the focus of a new exhibit opening Jan. 31 at the Motown Historical Museum.

The exhibit "Girl Groups: The Grit, the Glamour, the Glory" will include girl group costumes and photos, many items from the singers themselves.

It was the Marvelettes who scored the fledgling record company's first No. 1 hit in 1961 with "Please, Mr. Postman," pushing Motown into the national spotlight and bringing much-needed cash into its coffers. The teenaged group was on the cusp of the girl group movement that dominated pop music in the early '60s.

The Vandellas, Martha Reeves' group, always had the most soulful sound of Motown's female acts, and the Supremes were Motown's ultimate girl group, with their glamorous costumes and frequent appearances on the "Ed Sullivan Show." The Velvelettes were college girls who scored pop hits such as "Needle in a Haystack" in between classes, and the Andantes were unseen and unknown, but an integral part of the background of most Motown hits.

"We all know the music of the Supremes and Martha & the Vandellas, and many people are familiar with the Marvelettes and the Velvelettes, but unless you are a Motown aficionado, you've probably never even heard of the Andantes," said curator Lina Stephens, in a statement. "These girls were the vocal equivalent of Motown's famed studio band, the Funk Brothers, singing background vocals for artists like The Four Tops, Marvin Gaye, Kim Weston and Stevie Wonder."

The Motown Historical Museum is open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays. Admission is $10 for adults, $8 for seniors and children.

twitter.com/swhitall

swhitall@detnews.com

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130124/ENT04/301240459#ixzz2J1vNGyEa

smark21
01-25-2013, 10:03 PM
Sounds like a good exhibit. I wonder if Mirage will attend?

jobeterob
01-25-2013, 11:23 PM

I was interested in this article. I thought about Mirage and wondered if he'd go because he apparently knows a number of the people at the Museum.

And I thought of John Lester because the Velvelettes figure prominently.

And the Andantes rank up there with the Supremes as a Motown group.

Someone from the Museum must be in touch with a few fans.

Kind of cool.

theboyfromxtown
01-25-2013, 11:51 PM
Rob

Velvelette Bertha sent me a link and I found a second link.

The girl group exhibit had been planned for last year but it didn't happen. I hope it happens this time.

Roberta75
01-26-2013, 12:20 PM

If he does go i hope Mr Berry Gordy is there as well because I dont think mirage will be man enough to say some of the horrible things he says about berry here to Mr Gordys face.

Roberta

jobeterob
01-26-2013, 12:59 PM
If he does go i hope Mr Berry Gordy is there as well because I dont think mirage will be man enough to say some of the horrible things he says about berry here to Mr Gordys face.

Roberta

Strangely, that seems to be pretty standard fare for most human beings.

smark21
01-26-2013, 02:50 PM
Well if Marv could tell off Diana Ross months after MOtown 25, then Mirage can tell off Berry Gordy next time their paths cross.

Roberta75
01-26-2013, 03:08 PM
Well if Marv could tell off Diana Ross months after MOtown 25, then Mirage can tell off Berry Gordy next time their paths cross.

LOL. Like that ever happened smark21.

Thanks for the laugh.

Roberta

marv2
01-26-2013, 04:56 PM
LOL. Like that ever happened smark21.

Thanks for the laugh.

Roberta

Oh yeah it happened! You should've been there.......

jobeterob
01-26-2013, 08:03 PM
Two scenarios..........one, he tagteamed with Luke to yell "I love you" from the bleeders OR it was the time he got kicked out, either yelling "I love you" or "fuck you" as he got led away. Some of the guys here would know.

marv2
01-26-2013, 08:44 PM
Two scenarios..........one, he tagteamed with Luke to yell "I love you" from the bleeders OR it was the time he got kicked out, either yelling "I love you" or "fuck you" as he got led away. Some of the guys here would know.

You are one strange dude......

Roberta75
01-26-2013, 09:19 PM

While I have no doubt the said person never ever told Diane Ross of or said anything unpleasant to her I think we should write postings without using vile cuss words jobeterob. It isnt real becoming.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

marv2
01-26-2013, 09:53 PM
While I have no doubt the said person never ever told Diane Ross of or said anything unpleasant to her I think we should write postings without using vile cuss words jobeterob. It isnt real becoming.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

Poor Roberta. It must hurt you deeply and I know it is hard for you to accept but I told your idol Diane Ross what I felt she needed to hear. Life can be tough sometimes......hehehehehehehe.....

jobeterob
01-26-2013, 09:58 PM
Apologies Roberta, and you are right; those words are never becoming and Diane has said so too. So, I accept what you and her say and I'll try and refrain.

Said person probably has dominatrix fantasies, if he'd be so fortunate.

Roberta75
01-26-2013, 10:09 PM
Apologies Roberta, and you are right; those words are never becoming and Diane has said so too. So, I accept what you and her say and I'll try and refrain.

Said person probably has dominatrix fantasies, if he'd be so fortunate.

Apology accepted dear. You are a real nice man and a intelligent man but using cuss words is beneath you.

Said person live in a fantasy world but hes still in my prayers.

Have a blessed weekend.

Roberta