PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic Four question

test

imnokid
01-25-2013, 06:41 PM
Does anybody know who played bass on the Fantastic Four Westbound albums?
I have Alvin Stone and there are no musician credits on the back cover.

Thanx in advance

heikki
01-26-2013, 03:53 AM
Hi Kevin!

On "Night People" it reads: "Actors: Allena Robinson, Sharon Duke, Donald Duke, Vern Luedeman, Carole Luedeman, Marion Lampkin, Carol Burns, Onita J. Sanders, Terry Mendelson, Bernie Mendelson, Richard King, Willie Clay and Brad Gussin", so I guess one of them is the bass player. Produced by Al Kent and "A Tom Moulton Mix", so perhaps he knows.

On "Got To Have Your Love" it only reads "thanks to all the great Detroit Musicians involved in these recordings"; again, A Tom Moulton Mix.

On "B.Y.O.F." there's nothing; produced by Dennis Coffey, so he should know.

Best regards
Heikki

MIKEW-UK
01-26-2013, 06:11 AM
Sadly the musicians get no credit, but I note that the backing vocalists did get their due recognition, including The Andantes, Joyce and Pamela Vincent and Telma Hopkins...

ralpht
01-26-2013, 10:54 AM
Kind of a strange line-up there. I noticed the name "Bernie Mendelson" The only guy I knew with that name was Armon Boladian's promo guy. I'd guess Babbitt was playing bass. The only reason I think that is the fact that Al Kent was the producer. I'd bet that none of the names in the above post are musicians playing on the record. More like friends getting a "Night People" nod of some sort.

robb_k
01-26-2013, 01:23 PM
Exactly. Dennis would be the man to ask. He ran the session. Tom likely only did a re-mix a few years later.

imnokid
01-26-2013, 01:39 PM
While listening to them the other day, Bettye said it sounded like it could have been her bassist from The Fun Company, Don Hatcher...who later went on to sing in Undisputed Truth.

ralpht
01-26-2013, 01:51 PM
I'm still guessing Babbitt.

robb_k
01-26-2013, 03:02 PM
I'm still guessing Babbitt.
I'd guess Babbitt, too, as Dennis was mostly teaming up with him on bass during that time.

ralpht
01-26-2013, 04:08 PM
Yeah, the time seems just right, Robb.

jboy88
01-26-2013, 05:00 PM
I was thinking it was either Michael Henderson or Tony Newton. Wasn't Babbitt in Philly by this period?

robb_k
01-27-2013, 12:17 AM
I was thinking it was either Michael Henderson or Tony Newton. Wasn't Babbitt in Philly by this period?
Didn't Babbitt still play on sessions in Detroit even after playing on Philly sessions for a few years [[in the mid '70s)?