PDA

View Full Version : The Supremes on Hullabalo

test

jobeterob
01-24-2013, 08:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFJgSx5rcJE

My apologies if this was recently posted. Is a clear video.

Methuselah2
01-24-2013, 08:55 PM
That's such a terrific HULLABALOO performance that it doesn't matter how many times it gets posted--I'll watch it every time it pops up. It's never too much. I never tire of seeing it. The Supremes were just sensational here. Sounding fantastic and looking gorgeous.

I clearly remember the evening when it first aired in 1965. Frankie Avalon mistakenly mentioned that BACK IN MY ARMS AGAIN would be their '6th' Number 1 release, and then there they were, in the most stylized routine I had seen them to date. Oh, gosh, that intro with the soulful soft-shoe. And that wonderful movement with Flo and Mary fluttering their hands as they shimmied down, with Diana positioned out in front. It was all so unexpected--my jaw dropped. It was so beautiful--like watching an abstract painting come to life. Thanks, Jobeterob. I never tire of seeing art.

BigAl
01-26-2013, 10:31 AM
Ditto here, definitely. I had certainly been keen on The Supremes before, but seeing this Hullaballoo appearance pushed me clean over the edge into rabid fanhood. It just left me breathless and is my favorite of their many, many TV appearances. I only wish it had been broadcast in color.

stopinthenameoflove
01-26-2013, 05:26 PM
LOVE this clip! Florence looks so happy singing 'You're Nobody Till', and they all look and sound amazing!

thanxal
01-27-2013, 12:19 AM
This really is a fantastic clip. Notice at 4:17 how Diana looks surprised, almost shocked, when Flo points to herself. Wonder if that was ad-libbed?

Kamasu_Jr
01-27-2013, 03:38 PM
What was the airdate of this particular episode?

Roger Polhill
01-27-2013, 03:49 PM
May 11th 1965 and hosted by Frankie Avalon.

floyjoy678
01-27-2013, 05:20 PM
They performed "Back In My Arms Again" a week before this on the Mike Douglas Show and Flo wore the same wig. They also performed "Stop!" on the same show.