PDA

View Full Version : Anita Knorl and Thelma Brown - can anyone help?

test

keith_hughes
01-24-2013, 07:01 AM
If anyone knows anything about either of these 60s Motown artists, please let me know, either here or to keith@dftmc.info.

Thanks!

carole cucumber
01-24-2013, 10:09 AM
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/DC-OLD-NEWS/2007-06/1182044967

Could the 1936 entry of Knorl, Eileen Anita moving from Randall Jr. High to Cardozo High be of assistance?
Her family may have emigrated from the District of Columbia to Detroit or she may have done so individually.
It would mean that [[Eileen) Anita would have been approximately 39 years of age in 1962.

carole cucumber
01-24-2013, 10:48 AM
Marvin Gaye also went to Cardoza High, [[until he quit in 1955), and while there was part of the DC Tones with Reese Palmer and Sondra Lattisaw, mother of Stacey Lattisaw. If either Reese or Sondra are still living, perhaps David Ritz might know how to contact them to see if Eileen Anita Knorl might have had a connection to someone in Marvin's family [[which might have lead to her Hitsville recording).

I just noticed that David Ritz incorrectly identified the high school as Cardoza rather than Cardozo, named after Francis Lewis Cardozo

Roger Polhill
01-24-2013, 03:48 PM
Anita did record a version of "Don`t Be Too Long" in 1962.

RossHolloway
01-24-2013, 05:23 PM
Did either of these two women actually record for Motown?

carole cucumber
01-24-2013, 10:58 PM
According to vault research posted at "Don't Forget The Motor City" , both did.

RossHolloway
01-25-2013, 09:51 AM
I think its time for a new edition of a Cellar Full of Motown for all the artist that never had an official Motown record release!

keith_hughes
01-25-2013, 03:22 PM
Thanks to all. From a Motown publicity photo I've seen, I believe Anita Knorl would have been, uh, under 39 in 1962. [[Though even in those pre-PhotoShop days, clever lighting could work wonders, I know!)

I hope you will be hearing these artists before too long, but at the present rate of progress there won't be much biographical info to accompany the sounds ...

honest man
01-25-2013, 05:17 PM
AHH I Was going to be 2nd on thread to comment,maybe a Cellar of Motown in pipeline, but Keith i think you have more or less confirmed it,what a brilliant start to the year[ i hope] cheers.ps include some JJ Barnes and Fantasic 4 PLEASE............................................ ....

keith_hughes
01-25-2013, 06:14 PM
I didn't intend to "confirm" that, and - well - for the record, if there is another Cellarful in the pipeline, I assure you that I know nothing about it. Straight arrow.

kenneth
01-25-2013, 10:27 PM
Keith,

Here's a link to a "Find a Grave" entry which refers to the deceased having a sister named Anita Knorl from Arizona. I'm not sure you can assume it's the same lady, but [[1) they're African American, [[2) they have ties to Detroit, evidently they grew up there, and [[3) it seems like quite an unusual last name.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=17308418

robb_k
02-02-2013, 07:54 PM
Anita did record a version of "Don`t Be Too Long" in 1962.
ATTACH]5924[/ATTACH]
I'd like to hear that. I've always thought it was much more of a 1962 sound, rather than 1965, when the Chris Clark version was released. I've always thought it would have been perfect for Linda Griner, produced by Smokey. Now, I find it was recorded by Anita Knorl [[relative or friend of Marvin Gaye, from D.C.?) in 1962.[

noel181
02-03-2013, 09:54 AM
Thelma Brown recorded 2 tracks in September 1963 Cookie Boy & Dance Yeah Dance.
I got this info from a website in 2003 which is no longer available [[can't remember name of website) It listed every song ever written for Motown artists alphabetically, who recorded it and when.

robb_k
02-03-2013, 01:33 PM
I think that Both Thelma Brown and Anita Knorl cuts were found on acetates. Maybe they only had "tryout" recordings with Motown, but never were really signed to recording contracts?

robb_k
02-03-2013, 01:45 PM
Thelma Brown recorded 2 tracks in September 1963 Cookie Boy & Dance Yeah Dance.
I got this info from a website in 2003 which is no longer available [[can't remember name of website) It listed every song ever written for Motown artists alphabetically, who recorded it and when.
She was recorded by Harvey Fuqua and Gwen Gordy for all 3 cuts [["Dear Parents" was a 3rd). They were all cut at Hitsville. These were among Harvey and Gwens first Motown productions just after their Harvey/Tri-Phi labels were amalgamated into Motown Records. "Dear Parents" vocal was recorded at Detroit's Grand Ballroom, and background tracks were added at Hitsville [[according to the "Don't Forget The Motor City" listings.

mr_postman
02-03-2013, 04:32 PM
Noel181, you may be thinking of the Don't Forget The Motor City website, however, it is operational. The internet adress is: http://www.dftmc.info

robb_k
02-03-2013, 10:20 PM
I think its time for a new edition of a Cellar Full of Motown for all the artist that never had an official Motown record release!
Yes! There are still some nice unreleased cuts by Edward Earling and other artists we've not yet heard. Presumably they'll be available for download only, in those male and female single artist or group sets by genre.

keith_hughes
02-07-2013, 03:19 PM
Hi Robb

Both Anita and Thelma were signed to Motown - or we would never have got clearance to release them.

Their tracks on the Ace CD were not "found" on acetates. We found them when researching the Eddie Holland project, they just happened to be on tapes we pulled from the Vaults in order to make digital rundowns of the Holland tracks. A few others were found during the same sessions: some are on the CD and others are in reserve, in case this disc sells so well we get asked to do "Volume 2"!

Keith

Roger Polhill
02-07-2013, 03:44 PM
I can`t wait for "Volume 2" Keith. "Volume 1" looks wonderful and I expect it to really sell well.

westgrandboulevard
02-07-2013, 03:59 PM
So do I, Keith. Keep that reserve list very close to hand:)