PDA

View Full Version : Midnight train from georgia: A pip's journey

test

reese
01-22-2013, 11:44 PM
Pip William Guest [[Cousin Red) has written a book about his years with Gladys Knight and the Pips, and it has recently been published by Branden Books. The book also includes a forward by Marvelette Katherine Schaffner.

I haven't read any reviews of the book as of yet, but thought it might be of interest to Soul / Motown fans.

Kamasu_Jr
01-23-2013, 10:21 AM
Pip William Guest [[Cousin Red) has written a book about his years with Gladys Knight and the Pips, and it has recently been published by Branden Books. The book also includes a forward by Marvelette Katherine Schaffner.

I haven't read any reviews of the book as of yet, but thought it might be of interest to Soul / Motown fans.

Thanks for mentioning this. I'm gonna try and get a copy. I hope it's cool and not full of bitterness, sex and hate. After reading some of last year's celeb autobiographies and learning more than I cared to know, I vowed to stay away from them for a while.

milven
01-23-2013, 10:27 AM
I just looked on Amazon, but it is not listed

reese
01-23-2013, 11:09 AM
I just looked on Amazon, but it is not listed

http://www.amazon.com/Midnight-Train-Georgia-Pips-Journey/dp/0828324697/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1358953692&sr=1-3&keywords=midnight+train+from+georgia

It is also available in a Kindle edition.

luke
01-23-2013, 11:40 AM
"Drove their mr postman to #1"? in the Amazon description.

milven
01-23-2013, 02:26 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Midnight-Train-Georgia-Pips-Journey/dp/0828324697/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1358953692&sr=1-3&keywords=midnight+train+from+georgia

It is also available in a Kindle edition.

Thanks. Looks like something that I would like. I will order it.

smark21
01-23-2013, 09:27 PM
Thanks for mentioning this. I'm gonna try and get a copy. I hope it's cool and not full of bitterness, sex and hate. After reading some of last year's celeb autobiographies and learning more than I cared to know, I vowed to stay away from them for a while.

Whose books are you referring to? Of the music bios I’ve read in recent months, the best I read was the one by Duran Duran’s John Taylor. His book did a good job of describing how he grew up, became a star and then an addict and how he eventually cleaned up his life and truly became comfortable in his own skin.

milven
05-06-2013, 08:11 AM
I enjoyed the book. It was a quick read. There was no "bitterness" and it was a little self serving. He called himself the best dancer of the Pips. I disagree. I always thought that Bubba was the most energetic of the Pips and the one who enjoyed himself the most while performing.

He wasn't happy the way the group ended. He seems to be having some financial problems in his retirement and is looking for some kind of break in the music industry. [[Really? A background singer at his age trying to make it when major stars are having a hard time in an industry which, itself is having a hard time?) He said the group was a democracy but usually had two divisions, Bubba and Gladys vs. the cousins. Gladys did not want to sign with Motown but the three Pips outvoted her. He mentions how Gladys and Bubba still perform together and reading between the lines, I think he is a little jealous of that.

I saw Gladys and Bubba a couple of weeks ago and the audience truly loved them. When Bubba came out, he was greeted with loud applause. When Gladys sang Neither One of Us, she got a wild standing ovation that almost brought her to tears. And have seen her many times in the last few years, and she never does an encore. This time, the audience demanded her to come out , and thankfully she did. She really appreciated this audience as much as it appreciated her.

If you like the group, you should enjoy the book. I did.

marybrewster
05-06-2013, 08:57 AM
Anyone know who Dhyana Ziegler is?

And: "After signing with Motown Records, their Mr. Postman became the Number One Record on Billboard."

Say what?

reese
05-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Anyone know who Dhyana Ziegler is?

And: "After signing with Motown Records, their Mr. Postman became the Number One Record on Billboard."

Say what?

It has been a while since I read the book. But I believe Dhyana is a close friend to William and the sister of his ex-wife.

marv2
05-06-2013, 11:20 AM
I wonder if he mentions his relationship with Florence Ballard?

Motown4Ever518
05-07-2013, 07:39 PM
Reese,

Thank you for sharing, I just looked @ Amazon and it is available, and I will buy it. I love all things Gladys but after picking up a very inexpensive copy of the 1995 Anthology with the 3 unreleased tracks which I believe were not on the cassette copy that I have, I was surprised by how few of the songs I selected the repeat option. I am not sure if the post Motown body of work featured a more mature GK and TPs, so many recycled songs affiliated with other artists. But then again, I love the unearthed releases that have been available via CFOM, and have been one of the more ardent supporters of the proposed Lost and Found set. I wish Cousin Red, all the best!

midnightman
05-08-2013, 08:07 PM
I enjoyed the book. It was a quick read. There was no "bitterness" and it was a little self serving. He called himself the best dancer of the Pips. I disagree. I always thought that Bubba was the most energetic of the Pips and the one who enjoyed himself the most while performing.

He wasn't happy the way the group ended. He seems to be having some financial problems in his retirement and is looking for some kind of break in the music industry. [[Really? A background singer at his age trying to make it when major stars are having a hard time in an industry which, itself is having a hard time?) He said the group was a democracy but usually had two divisions, Bubba and Gladys vs. the cousins. Gladys did not want to sign with Motown but the three Pips outvoted her. He mentions how Gladys and Bubba still perform together and reading between the lines, I think he is a little jealous of that.

I saw Gladys and Bubba a couple of weeks ago and the audience truly loved them. When Bubba came out, he was greeted with loud applause. When Gladys sang Neither One of Us, she got a wild standing ovation that almost brought her to tears. And have seen her many times in the last few years, and she never does an encore. This time, the audience demanded her to come out , and thankfully she did. She really appreciated this audience as much as it appreciated her.

If you like the group, you should enjoy the book. I did.

Wow. That's some great stuff. :) Aww @ Gladys getting emotional over the ovation. She deserves it. She's one of the greatest.

milven
07-08-2013, 09:24 PM
Leticiah Holland, daughter of Eddie Holland, just posted this on Facebook. Hope it isn't serious.

Prayers needed for William Guest of Gladys Knight and the Pips! He is not feeling well and I need prayers for him and his family as we go way back..... It was so much fun at his house as a kid growing up!

midnightman
07-08-2013, 09:51 PM
Leticiah Holland, daughter of Eddie Holland, just posted this on Facebook. Hope it isn't serious.

Prayers needed for William Guest of Gladys Knight and the Pips! He is not feeling well and I need prayers for him and his family as we go way back..... It was so much fun at his house as a kid growing up!

Aww... hope he gets well.

milven
07-09-2013, 02:45 PM
Leticiah just said that he had a stroke. So it is a little more serious than what she posted on Facebook. I wish him well and a quick recovery. That group has given me lots of joy over the years. Here is a fairly recent interview with him.

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/video?clipId=8662905&flvUri=&partnerclipid=&topVideoCatNo=0&c=&autoStart=true&activePane=info&LaunchPageAdTag=homepage&clipFormat=flv

Roberta75
07-09-2013, 02:59 PM
Leticiah just said that he had a stroke. So it is a little more serious than what she posted on Facebook. I wish him well and a quick recovery. That group has given me lots of joy over the years. Here is a fairly recent interview with him.

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/video?clipId=8662905&flvUri=&partnerclipid=&topVideoCatNo=0&c=&autoStart=true&activePane=info&LaunchPageAdTag=homepage&clipFormat=flv

May the good Lord heal Mr William Guest from his stroke.

"Behold, I will bring it health and cure, and I will cure them, and will reveal unto them the abundance of peace and truth"

In the name of Jesus Christ my Lord and Savior.

Roberta

midnightman
07-09-2013, 02:59 PM

Get well William.