PDA

View Full Version : Soul Train - January 1, 1977 The Full Episode!

test

marv2
01-22-2013, 10:19 PM
Here is one that I have been hoping to see again since it originally aired on New Year's 1977. Soul Train with guests The Supremes [[Mary, Scherrie & Susaye) and Al Hudson and the Soul Partners. Well here it is.......the full episode@!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJHNAq6w2AU

Kamasu_Jr
01-23-2013, 08:35 AM
I like the first Soul Train appearance. This one was on BOUNCE TV recently, which airs old episodes of Soul Train. I've got it in my DVR. The Supremes were on ST three times, I think. All three shows are in my collection. Just some things to have.

MIKEW-UK
01-23-2013, 10:52 AM
Thanks for posting Marv - great stuff!
I do like "You Are The Heart Of Me" by The Supremes.....

Here's Dionne Warwick' version on her HDH produced album...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGVN2m0Cwdk

milven
01-23-2013, 05:55 PM

Thanks for posting this. I enjoyed Dionne's version . I must have touched this LP dozens of times when it was new, and yet just now discovered that it was HDH produced and had two Supremes songs on it. [[Of course, the Supremes had not recorded the songs yet, so maybe that's why;) ) It comes from an LP called JUST BEING MYSELF. From what I just read, the tracks were already there, and HDH just had Dionne sing over them.

Nice arrangements, but I like the Supremes more. Here is another song from the LP that would later be on the Supremes final album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1swvMmMcdM

marv2
01-23-2013, 06:57 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGVN2m0Cwdk

You are welcome Mike! I like Dionne's version, but I love Mary and the Supremes version more. It's become my favorite Supremes song period.

marv2
01-23-2013, 06:59 PM
I like the first Soul Train appearance. This third one was on BOUNCE TV recently, which airs old episodes of Soul Train. I've got it in my DVR. The Supremes were on ST three times. All three shows are in my collection. Just some things to have.

They were actually on Soul Train 4 different times total [[1973, 75,76 and 77). I have the first 3 on tape and just one clip from this 4th and final appearance.

Kamasu_Jr
01-23-2013, 07:30 PM
I don't know how I forgot about that ST appearance from 1975..
That was the episode with Willie Hutch.

smark21
01-23-2013, 09:31 PM
Don’t Let My Teardrops is on High Energy, The Supremes’ second to last album, not their last.

BayouMotownMan
01-23-2013, 09:42 PM
I missed this when it was first aired so this is the first time I saw the whole show. The ladies were great but by this time there was just something missing. Susaye was and is a powerhouse vocalist and was too confined within the framework of the group. The look had changed and the sound was copycat disco. I still loved them but the direction was all wrong. The music was no longer innovative, they were going with the disco trend.

marv2
01-23-2013, 10:14 PM
Those ladies were badddd! They looked great, moved great and sounded spectacular! They gave us something good to look at and listen to. Classy and sexy!

smark21
01-23-2013, 10:28 PM
Interesting to hear Dionne’s versions of You Are the Heart of Me and Don’t Let My Teardrops. But The Supremes’ versions are much better overall in vocals, arrangements and production. I think Mary’s peak moments as a vocalist in The Supremes were on those ballads the Hollands produced for High Energy and MSS.

BayouMotownMan
01-23-2013, 10:35 PM
I agree Smark, I think Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You are among the best she ever did. Vast difference in her vocal prowess from A Heart Like Mine where she whispered the lyrics. She was more confident.

In Mary, Scherrie and Susaye Motown had a female quartet that rivaled LaBelle and could blast the Emotions, Pointer Sisters and other female groups off the stage. They were sorely mishandled.

marv2
01-23-2013, 11:10 PM
Interesting to hear Dionne’s versions of You Are the Heart of Me and Don’t Let My Teardrops. But The Supremes’ versions are much better overall in vocals, arrangements and production. I think Mary’s peak moments as a vocalist in The Supremes were on those ballads the Hollands produced for High Energy and MSS.

I have to agree with your assessment. These songs, recordings were so well done that I can listen them now some 30 plus years later [[sigh) and they don't sound dated. I'd add "We Should Be Closer Together" as another song they did during 1976-77 that stands up very well today.

marv2
01-23-2013, 11:11 PM
It would be interesting to see if Mary could replicate "You Are the Heart of Me" today in her concerts.

franjoy56
01-24-2013, 01:01 AM
the gowns look great, and Mary's You are the heart of me was one of the best solo tracks she did while with the Supremes, We should be closer together and DLMTBU where just as grand, I remember this group MSS were on soul train twice, MCS once and JML once, Soul train did their part in promoting them.

Kamasu_Jr
01-24-2013, 03:10 AM
I think MW's version of I Don't Want To Lose You is pretty damned good, better than Phyllis Hyman's or the Spinners.' She nailed it that time. I gotta admit it.
However, I'm not that crazy about Don't let My Teardrops Bother You or You Are The Heart of Me by the Supremes or Dionne Warwick. I just don't care for the songs.

blueskies
01-24-2013, 09:24 AM
I saw this line-up live at Bachelor's III in Ft. Laurderdale. Let me tell you, they put on one hell of a show. Susaye tore it up!

smark21
01-24-2013, 09:03 PM
And let’s not forget “Til the Boat Sails Away”. Those lush arrangements on those Mary ballads on the last two albums were the ideal setting for her voice.

I’m surprised how mediocre the Hollland’s production for Dionne Warwick was on Don’t Let My Teardrops and especially You Are the Heart of Me. The latter sounds like a poor attempt to imitate the 60’s MOR Bacharach/David sound.

MIKEW-UK
01-25-2013, 10:50 AM
The Just Being Myself album by Dionne is dominated by the amazing title track.... what great arrangements... McKinley Jackson at the top of his game! Get your cymbal out!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZNpPYgfo9M