PDA

View Full Version : Beyonce lip-synced The Star-Spangled Banner at the inaguration

test

soulster
01-22-2013, 09:27 PM
http://todayentertainment.today.com/_news/2013/01/22/16644369-beyonce-lip-synched-national-anthem-at-inauguration?lite

jillfoster
01-23-2013, 04:32 PM
Typical of today's entertainment industry and performers. Today's generation has been conditioned to accept LESS THAN. And it makes me sad.

ralpht
01-23-2013, 07:48 PM
I agree with you, Jill. Can you imagine Aretha lip Synching there?

smark21
01-23-2013, 09:19 PM
The lipsynching is especially bad as Kelly Clarkson, James Taylor and the various choirs all managed to sing live at the event.

marv2
01-23-2013, 10:36 PM
I just don't understand why she had to do it. Yes I know it was cold but she should have at least given it a try. It was too important of an event to wuss out and lip synch!

skooldem1
01-23-2013, 10:39 PM
It sounded to me at different parts of the song that she was singing along with a pre-recorded track. That is different from lip syncing.

jillfoster
01-24-2013, 02:06 AM
It sounded to me at different parts of the song that she was singing along with a pre-recorded track. That is different from lip syncing.

It has been confirmed that she was indeed lip synching. IT was cold.. big DEAL, it was 44 degrees and sunny, it wasn't THAT cold. Besides, a singer with real talent can sing in the cold and do it acapella!! Take a peek here at Jazz singer Ethel Ennis singing it at the 1973 Nixon Inaugural. Say what you want about tricky Dick.. he had good, ecclectic taste in music, and Ethel sings like angel at 34:25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJzNdTebw-w

marv2
01-24-2013, 09:41 AM
It has been confirmed that she was indeed lip synching. IT was cold.. big DEAL, it was 44 degrees and sunny, it wasn't THAT cold. Besides, a singer with real talent can sing in the cold and do it acapella!! Take a peek here at Jazz singer Ethel Ennis singing it at the 1973 Nixon Inaugural. Say what you want about tricky Dick.. he had good, ecclectic taste in music, and Ethel sings like angel at 34:25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJzNdTebw-w

I was thinking about Marian Anderson at the Lincoln Memorial.......

antceleb12
01-24-2013, 10:25 AM

She was lip-syncing to a pre-recorded vocal track, although the orchestra was playing live. Apparently, she had decided to lip-sync at the last moment.

A lot of people are saying how it's no big deal because a lot of singers do it. And we all know that's no excuse. As a singer myself, it's not impossible to sing in cold weather. I've done it, just wear a scarf! Lip-syncing is just cheating, in my opinion.

Kamasu_Jr
01-24-2013, 02:29 PM
I think it's a big deal over nothing. So she lip synced. Big deal! We know Beyonce can sing.

Roberta75
01-24-2013, 02:34 PM
I think it's a big deal over nothing. So she lip synced. Big deal! We know Beyonce can sing.

Exactly kamasu. Ain't no big thing IMO.

Roberta

StuBass1
01-24-2013, 03:46 PM
I believe she lip sync'd to prevent the "Great Interrupter" [[Jay-Z) from jumping up on the podium, grabbing the mic, and trying to hijack the performance since he's done it before.

Jerry Oz
01-24-2013, 03:51 PM
As for me, I don't take anything away from this, good or bad. She'd doing the Super Bowl next week and she'll lip sync the whole performance like everybody [[except for Aerosmith, who should have lip synched... just sayin') has done for the last 20 years. I think she was showing respect for the president by not wanting to glitch it up. Oh, and the orchestra was faking it as well. They pre-recorded their music before calling her out for doing the same thin.

floyjoy678
01-24-2013, 04:55 PM
I haven't bothered to watch the last few inaugurations. It's nothing but a stretched out flashy party with big name celebrities. I wonder who's paying for these events? If our government was smart they would just keep it to a simple old fashion one day celebration especially with our country in a recession. I actually caught bits and pieces of it on the TV at my gym and all I could think of is how materialistic our country has become. This is just my opinion, I can have one can't I?

smark21
01-24-2013, 08:58 PM
Sometimes in the drive for perfection [[or at least a flawless performance) a performer’s decision can ultimately backfire on them. Beyonce was afraid of being human and hitting a wrong note so she lipped the performance. But word got out and now she’s dealing with negative PR. Oh well, I suppose this will build up anticipation for her Super Bowl performance so maybe she knew what she was doing after all.

juicefree20
01-24-2013, 09:08 PM
While I can understand & appreciate the viewpoints of purists & in many respects I consider myself to be one, in this case, I'm not upset with Beyonce, as there has been precedent as regards lipsynching at events.

I notice that while Beyonce takes the brunt of the negative remarks, no one seems to be calling out the band for faking their performance. Frankly, as the band is actually part of THE GOVERNMENT, shouldn't THEY be held to the same standards of purity & respect that some believe that Beyonce should have adhered to?

Contrary to what many believe, the ENTIRE performance was prerecorded on the Saturday before the inaguration & the ENTIRE inagural performance, including that of of the Marine Corp Band was simulated.

And just in case anyone believes that Beyonce was intending to pull a Jessica Simpson on SNL or Milli Vanilli moment of trickery, the story points out that the day BEFORE the performance, she posted pictures replete with shots of her holding the sheet music to The Star Spangle Banner in front of a mic & the Marine Corp Band reading their own copies of sheet music in the studio.

If she were trying to fool anyone, she certainly wouldn't have posted those pictures the DAY BEFORE her appearance. She put it out there the day before this became an issue.

Now had she done this in concert then I can understand her taking heat for it. The sundae was the Inaguration itself, Beyonce was pretty much one of the cherries on the sundae. If you want a sundae & take the cherries off of the sundae, you still have what wanted...a sundae. The cherries are just a topping which adds to the enjoyment. But beyond that is a bigger question...

Were those of us tuning in tuning in to watch musical performances, or were we tuning in to see this President being sworn in?

I was watching to see this President being sworn in & frankly, I could not have cared less had they had no performances at all, just as despite the fact that my Senator Charles Schumer was in charge of the event, I could've lived without seeing their "3,000 calorie luncheon" & the countless "filler" with reporters telling me things that I had already heard as though I wouldn't understand what had been said without them regurgitating it for my edification. It just took up space on the DVR. If I wanted to see performances, I could've gone to youtube. Now had there been a few of our old school artists performing, my stance would be different because I'd have loved to see one of our icons out there singing. But personally, I wanted to see this President take his oath & a victory lap.

Everything else was so much unnecessary cherries on the sundae & I could've taken it or left it.

That's just my personal opinion but I can understand how others who don't agree with me feel about this. For what it's worth, a prominent Motown legend weighed in on this, as has Aretha Franklin. Here's their take on it:

http://www.tmz.com/2013/01/23/tmz-live-conrad-murray-lindsay-lohan-ian-somerhalder-fifty-shades-of-grey-beyonce-smokey-robinson-serena-williams/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/reliable-source/post/quoted-aretha-franklin-defends-beyonce-lip-sync/2013/01/23/4a0fbdaa-6590-11e2-85f5-a8a9228e55e7_blog.html

And a few others...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/reliable-source/post/everyone-weighs-in-on-beyonce-lip-sync-controversy--except-for-beyonce/2013/01/23/003e89e6-65b7-11e2-85f5-a8a9228e55e7_blog.html

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2013/01/22/beyonce-buzz-was-she-lip-syncing/1855123/

Jerry Oz
01-24-2013, 10:06 PM
Juicefree, co-sign me to your post 100%. This is all a tempest in a teapot.

Boogiedown
01-25-2013, 02:27 AM
step up to the plate and deliver -
or sit the f*&K down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNOHSMyYUr8

marv2
01-25-2013, 02:30 AM
step up to the plate and deliver -
or sit the f*&K down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNOHSMyYUr8

Oh now that's not fair! This is the ultimate! Beyonce would never attempt something like this. Whitney's version went on to sell a million copies and still can be heard on the radio at the noon hour in many cities around the country.

Boogiedown
01-25-2013, 02:40 AM
Oh now that's not fair! This is the ultimate! Beyonce would never attempt something like this. Whitney's version went on to sell a million copies and still can be heard on the radio at the noon hour in many cities around the country.

I guess I don't get your point . You either can , or you can't.
If you can't , or won't even try, please don't insult us with fakery as if you can and did .

marv2
01-25-2013, 02:45 AM
I guess I don't get your point . You either can , or you can't.
If you can't , or won't even try, please don't insult us with fakery as if you can and did .

My point is that it is impossible for Beyonce to sing the National Anthem that good. She should try singing it live however, in her own way.

milven
01-25-2013, 08:30 AM
My point is that it is impossible for Beyonce to sing the National Anthem that good. She should try singing it live however, in her own way.

Well then she should have lip synced Whitney's version - as seen here as a joke :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwLnN3Fwl4w&feature=youtu.be

But didn't I read this week that Whitney also lip synced to her own voice ??

milven
01-25-2013, 08:43 AM
...But didn't I read this week that Whitney also lip synced to her own voice ??

Yes I did. Ricky Minor, now musical director of THE TONIGHT SHOW confirmed it last year.

It was what turned a star into a superstar: Whitney Houston’s mesmerizing rendition of the national anthem at the 1991 Super Bowl. Houston’s powerful “Star Spangled Banner” performance came at a poignant, patriotic time — the U.S. had just entered the 1991 Gulf War .

But here’s what you didn’t know: What the Super Bowl audience and hundreds of millions of TV viewers heard was lip-synched.

“The music was pre-recorded, and so was the vocal,” confirmed Rickey Minor, who was Houston’s musical director at the time.

Minor, now the band leader on Jay Leno’s “Tonight Show,” said that in a crowd that large and loud, it was impossible for Houston to hear herself. Though she did sing, it was her pre-recorded voice that the audience heard.

The full story is here.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainment/2012/02/whitney-houstons-star-spangled-secret/

smark21
01-25-2013, 08:56 AM
Back in 1991 shortly after the Super Bowl performance it was revealed that Whitney lipsynched. This is not news if you were paying attention back then. Frankly, given the war climate of the time I find the Super Bowl performance grotesque from a political perspective as it was meant to stir up unthinking and emotional war fever. Whitney Houston allowed her talents to be used to advance an ugly effort that led to people needlessly dying.

arrr&bee
01-25-2013, 12:53 PM
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA,GIVE ME A BREAK,IF SHE DID IT WAS STILL A HELL OF A PERFORMANCE,WHO GIVES A CRAP??? I MEAN REAGAN PORTRAYED A PRESIDENT FOR EIGHT YEARS,NIXON STOLE EVERY DOCUMENT HE COULD GET HIS HANDS ON...[they still can't find the original copy of the constitution]AND FOLKS ARE GRIPIN BOUT THIS,,,HAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

soulster
01-25-2013, 07:59 PM
Oh now that's not fair! This is the ultimate! Beyonce would never attempt something like this.
Well, it's true, and she admitted it.

Even I watched it and thought it sounded too perfect.

soulster
01-26-2013, 04:59 PM
People have been lip-syncing and pantomiming on TV almost since its inception. It really isn't a big deal.

It's a lot cheaper and faster to fake it to a recorded track. When they mix songs in the studio, they usually create mixes sans vocals and/or various background singers and instruments just for TV performances, and almost no one ever complains. And, let's not even talk about music video!

But, for a Presidential Inauguration one would think the effort would be made to do the live performance. That shows respect.

soulster
01-26-2013, 05:02 PM
I MEAN REAGAN PORTRAYED A PRESIDENT FOR EIGHT YEARS,

That's what you get when you get an actor for a president. But, if you compare Ronald Reagan to the joker who ran for the Republican ticket last time, he was the better actor.

Boogiedown
01-27-2013, 01:19 AM
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA,GIVE ME A BREAK,IF SHE DID IT WAS STILL A HELL OF A PERFORMANCE,WHO GIVES A CRAP??? I MEAN REAGAN PORTRAYED A PRESIDENT FOR EIGHT YEARS,NIXON STOLE EVERY DOCUMENT HE COULD GET HIS HANDS ON...[they still can't find the original copy of the constitution]AND FOLKS ARE GRIPIN BOUT THIS,,,HAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

OK so what we have to do is :
Address this distraction from these far more pressing matters by banning the deceitful practice of presenting lip-synching as a "live'' or " real" performance until the original copy of the Constitution is found.

Boogiedown
01-27-2013, 01:29 AM
Back in 1991 shortly after the Super Bowl performance it was revealed that Whitney lipsynched. This is not news if you were paying attention back then. Frankly, given the war climate of the time I find the Super Bowl performance grotesque from a political perspective as it was meant to stir up unthinking and emotional war fever. Whitney Houston allowed her talents to be used to advance an ugly effort that led to people needlessly dying.

I agree 100%
all the more reprehensible now knowing her stirring ,riveting, inspired, patriotic performance of the moment was : fake .

carlo
01-28-2013, 04:12 PM
Well then she should have lip synced Whitney's version - as seen here as a joke :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwLnN3Fwl4w&feature=youtu.be

But didn't I read this week that Whitney also lip synced to her own voice ??

This made me laugh! Thanks! :)

ralpht
01-28-2013, 05:12 PM
Got me too..............

nomis
01-29-2013, 10:05 PM
Whitney lip synced in 91..Beyonce now..big deal..theres enough footage out there of these two ladies performing live in countless concerts..

glencro
01-30-2013, 08:29 AM
Speaking of a good laugh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI1kq6CA_38&feature=youtu.be

marv2
01-30-2013, 09:14 AM
Speaking of a good laugh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI1kq6CA_38&feature=youtu.be

Now that was funny ! LOL! hehehehehehehe................ They're like , what is this broad singing about? LOL

Kamasu_Jr
02-01-2013, 11:20 AM
Well Beyonce spoke out yesterday in New Orleans and stated why she sang along with a pre-recorded track and silenced her critics and people who just love hating on her by singing the Star Spangled Banner live and without any music. It's why they call her superstar.

Kamasu_Jr
02-01-2013, 11:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5P1Paf9NJ8N

skooldem1
02-01-2013, 11:32 AM
Like I said earlier, I believed all along that she sang live along with the pre-recorded track. People get that confused with miming the words. If you listen you can hear this.