PDA

View Full Version : 16 Big Hits

test

mysterysinger
01-21-2013, 05:20 PM
I wonder if they ever will re-release the 16 Big Hits series on CD again [[this time including Vol 11). Ok you can make your own but it's not quite the same. If they did, betcha they wouldn't include this original cover for the first volume!

bradburger
01-21-2013, 07:22 PM
I sure hope they do!

As I mentioned in another thread on the subject, I think it would be a great project for Hip-O to do.

Maybe they could do the UK versions as well.

And I sure hope they would issue that cover!

Cheers

Paul

762rob
01-21-2013, 09:01 PM
I sure hope they do!

As I mentioned in another thread on the subject, I think it would be a great project for Hip-O to do.

Maybe they could do the UK versions as well.

And I sure hope they would issue that cover!

Cheers

Paul

If they could get the correct masters issued this time around

bradburger
01-21-2013, 09:23 PM
If they could get the correct masters issued this time around

Yes, that would be the right thing to do, and if the project ever came to fruition, I'm sure Harry & Co would make sure the actual album masters where used.

Cheers

Paul

Kamasu_Jr
01-21-2013, 11:27 PM
Maybe as MP3 downloads?? There are several Motown albums coming in this format including Solid Rock by the Temptations and Reflections, Greatest Hits Vol 3 and Greatest Hits & Rare Classics by the Supremes.

woodward
01-22-2013, 01:05 PM
I wonder if they ever will re-release the 16 Big Hits series on CD again [[this time including Vol 11). Ok you can make your own but it's not quite the same. If they did, betcha they wouldn't include this original cover for the first volume!

I just discovered an odd thing about this series of albums. Yes, there were 11 volumes released on vinyl. Volume 1 was issued as A Package of 16 Big Hits and reissued as a Package of 16 [U]Original[U]Big Hits. After this they all became Original designated. One thing I was totally unaware of was that Volume 1 then 3-11inclusive were released on the Motown label, however, Volume 2 was released as Tamla 256 on the Tamla label. Odd shift. Can anyone offer an explanation why the change then the change back to Motown?

kenneth
01-22-2013, 01:41 PM
I just discovered an odd thing about this series of albums. Yes, there were 11 volumes released on vinyl. Volume 1 was issued as A Package of 16 Big Hits and reissued as a Package of 16 [U]Original[U]Big Hits. After this they all became Original designated. One thing I was totally unaware of was that Volume 1 then 3-11inclusive were released on the Motown label, however, Volume 2 was released as Tamla 256 on the Tamla label. Odd shift. Can anyone offer an explanation why the change then the change back to Motown?

I always wondered about that. The other weird thing about the Tamla Vol. 2 title is that it was only available in Mono for several years, long after the others could be bought in Stereo [[excepting Vol. 1 - I'm not sure when it came out in Stereo). Then when it finally came out in Stereo, around 1969 or 70, a few of the songs were rerecorded for that issue, including "I'll Have to Let Him Go" by Martha and the Vandellas. The Stereo mixes on this LP were great; it was always my favorite issue of the series.

Glenpwood
01-22-2013, 02:13 PM
Volumes 2, 3 4, and 5 are available digitally via Itunes.....

144man
01-22-2013, 05:22 PM
Odd shift. Can anyone offer an explanation why the change then the change back to Motown?

Maybe the change back was because it had been decided that Motown would be the main label.

dvdmike
01-23-2013, 12:12 AM
Volume 1 was released in stereo on CD. I have it.
I always wondered about that. The other weird thing about the Tamla Vol. 2 title is that it was only available in Mono for several years, long after the others could be bought in Stereo [[excepting Vol. 1 - I'm not sure when it came out in Stereo). Then when it finally came out in Stereo, around 1969 or 70, a few of the songs were rerecorded for that issue, including "I'll Have to Let Him Go" by Martha and the Vandellas. The Stereo mixes on this LP were great; it was always my favorite issue of the series.

kenneth
01-23-2013, 10:06 AM
Volume 1 was released in stereo on CD. I have it.

Do you know if any of the songs are rerecordings of the originals? That's what I'm really curious about.

762rob
01-24-2013, 09:50 PM
As I recall "Love Me All The Way" [[Kim Weston) sounded like a different vocal take on the Stereo Lp version. Some of the cuts were rechanneled stereo, not true stereo [[Jamie, Money) for two examples.

When these were issued on CD Vol. 5 was some cuts stereo some mono, althought the original Lp was all stereo masters except "High Heel Sneakers" which was rechanneled stereo.

These were pretty exciting releases when they came out because besides the big hits there were also some great cuts that were not so big hits!

I remember buying the first one with that "package" cover in 1962 when I was 11!

kenneth
01-24-2013, 10:56 PM
Vol. 5 was one of the first LPs I ever bought [[in Mono, which was $1 less than Stereo at the time). Of course, money was scarce then so the fact I was getting 16 songs was a huge impetus. Actually, I still love Various Artist albums in almost any genre, probably for the same reason.

mysterysinger
01-27-2013, 05:51 PM
The revised cover...

daddyacey
01-28-2013, 12:56 AM
Vol # 8---- MOTOWN 666 , has alternate mixes of Jimmy Mack and Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever.

theboyfromxtown
01-28-2013, 08:34 AM
.....and others too...

MotownSteve
01-28-2013, 05:49 PM
Volumes 2, 3 4, and 5 are available digitally via Itunes.....
I could only find Volume 3 on iTunes US