PDA

View Full Version : The dynamics misery

test

Kamasu_Jr
01-19-2013, 12:40 PM
Perhaps Robb knows where this was recorded. It was on Big Top but the Dynamics were from Detroit, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_1WVDVSxN0

Methuselah2
01-19-2013, 05:17 PM
Ooo-wee. This is a new one for me . . . and I love it! Thanks Kamasu. Great tune.

robb_k
01-20-2013, 01:08 AM
Yes, The Dynamics were from Detroit. It was recorded in Detroit, at United Sound Studios [[if I remember correctly).

Harry Balk's Twirl Records and his production companies leased a LOT of Detroit cuts to Big Top Records.

LuckiePierre
04-10-2013, 06:53 PM
do you know by chance if it was released before big-top? and if so by whom? also im researching the track and while i found the master holder, i can seem to find any publishing information on the track? both publishers mentioned on the record Noma and Da-Bar are defunct or untraceable any help would be awesome! working on a project that is featuring Detroit music!

robb_k
04-11-2013, 09:12 PM
Clearly, it wasn't produced by Harry Balk and his partner, Micahnic, or it would have been an EmBee Production and would have been published by their Vicki Music. The writers were G. Stratton, A. Wilson and F. Baker. David Fox was their producer. Davenbar and Da-Bar seem to be a combination of David and Baker [[David Fox and Fred Baker?). Those 2 must have been the groups' managers and, possibly, the financiers. They might have gone to Balk and Micahnic to get The Dynamics a record deal, and the latter 2 got The Dynamics a deal with Big Top through their own working agreement with that label. OR, they were referred by Balk, and made their OWN deal with the label.

Or, Perhaps Noma Music was a partnership of the Vicki Music owners and the Da-Bar owners? The Dynamics 2 Big Top releases seem to be the only Detroit productions on that label in the mid '60s that might possibly NOT be connected to Balk.

There MAY have been previous pressing on a local Detroit label, but I really doubt it. I think that one of the records would have shown up by now. I used to drive to Detroit [[from Chicago) one or two Saturdays per month, to look for Detroit records. I've looked through literally millions of 45s, and never seen a pressing of such a record. I've been a heavy Detroit R&B/Soul music collector for almost 50 years since their 2 Big Top records were released, and never seen nor heard of a local label release. I was friendly with many of the big Detroit collectors, and never heard of one from any of them, nor seen any on any rare Detroit list or discography, or an anyone's wants list. I don't think such a release could have occurred with us not being aware of it. There is only an extremely unlikely possibility that a handful of DJ copies of a local label were pressed up, but never reached Ds, record shops or collectors because the owners got a deal with Big Top before they could get their own D copies out. But the likelihood of that is almost nill.

Too bad, Ron Murphy is deceased. He probably could confirm to us that there was, indeed, no local label release, or he would have known about it due to his connections with the local recording studios, pressing and mastering plants and producers. In fact, I inquired about your same questions many times in the past, and always came up with the answer that no one in the know had ever found any evidence that a local release could have occurred.

I wonder if G. Stratton was related to studio owner, Ernie Stratton?

robb_k
04-12-2013, 03:31 AM
Ernie Stratton produced The Dynamics in 1967, when they were on Top Ten Records. They also recorded for RCA before moving to Atlantic's Cotillion Records.

robb_k
04-16-2013, 01:02 AM
LuckiePierre: It seems that Ernie Stratton was involved with Detroit's Dynamics from their very beginning. He used The Royal Playboys as their "core" instrumental group on "Delsinia" on Dynamic Records, and again on "Misery and "I'm The Man". He may have been the executive producer on their Dynamic and Big Top sessions, with David Fox running the sessions [[or, perhaps he ran them, as well). Ernie would be the one to ask about this group. He was with them from their beginning in 1961 through their time with his Top Ten Records in 1967-68. I'm pretty sure that he's still alive. I believe that Ralph has had fairly recent contact with him. Maybe he can get you in contact with Ernie. Why don't you PM Ralph, considering that he hasn't noticed this thread?

You wouldn't happen to be the Soul DJ from KSOL[[Oakland) and XERB from the late '60s and early '70s, would you? I thought it was very funny for a DJ on a Soul station to have a very thick overexaggerated "French" accent on radio stations with essentially no Caucasion DJs [[KSOL).

ralpht
04-16-2013, 09:13 AM
Robb,
Ernie passed away a few years back. Yes, Ernie was responsible for the Dynamics records. From what I understand, he was in pretty bad shape up to the day he passed until his brother played him, at Ernie's request a particular Dynamics record, at which time Ernie got out of bed and danced to the record. He died a little later that day.

robb_k
04-16-2013, 09:20 AM
Thanks, Ralph.
Did you know David Fox [[Dynamics producer of "And That's A Natural Fact")? Maybe he's still around?

[[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZfPyKG7sWo)http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=LZfPyKG7sWo

ralpht
04-16-2013, 11:17 AM
Robb,
I remember the name, but have no contact with the guy.

mickeymac
04-16-2013, 01:43 PM
"Misery" by the Dynamics was a big hit in Detroit.