PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. George Blanda [[1927-2010)

test

marv2
09-29-2010, 08:41 AM
I heard this news yesterday:

http://www.dailytitan.com/2010/09/28/raiders-blanda/

By Matt Petropulos
Daily Titan Staff Writer
Published: September 28, 2010 The ageless wonder, George Blanda, one of the most famous and versatile Raiders of all-time, died Monday Sept. 27 at 83.

Blanda was a Hall of Fame quarterback and kicker during his 26-year career, which is the longest career in the National Football League’s history when he finally retired just shy of 49 years of age.

He is most remembered for his heroics in a series of five games for the Oakland Raiders in 1970. In those games, Blanda led the Raiders to four wins and one tie with numerous touchdown passes and field goals.

According to NFL.com, Blanda scored 2,002 points in his career, a pro football record at the time of his retirement, kicking 335 field goals and 943 extra points, running for nine touchdowns and throwing for 236 more.

He then led the Raiders to the AFC title game that same year becoming the oldest quarterback to play in a championship game but lost to Baltimore 27-17.

Blanda entered the NFL from the University of Kentucky as a 12th-round draft pick of the Chicago Bears.

While on the Chicago Bears, he played 10 seasons under George Halas. He won the starting job in 1953 but lost it one year later due to an injury. He then left the Bears and ultimately retired due to monetary issues and playing time because they wanted him solely as a kicker. He then sat out a year and came back to play for the American Football League, Houston Oilers.

He led the Oilers to two straight titles in 1960 and 1961. Then, in 1967, the owner of the Oakland Raiders, Al Davis, acquired him for a mere waiver price of $100.

“Al Davis always liked my attitude, and my time with the Raiders was special, because it looked like my career was over,” said the always-blunt Blanda . “Instead, I played another nine years, which by itself was more than twice the average playing career.”

Blanda was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1981 by none other than Al Davis.

“George Blanda inspired a whole nation in 1970. I really believe he is the greatest clutch player in the history of this game.” Davis said as he presented Blanda.

Raider Nation has lost a great legend but Blanda will always be remembered in the success and pride of the “just win baby,” mentality.
Print this post

arrr&bee
09-29-2010, 06:28 PM
What an athlete,just imagine the shape he had to be in to play football at 48 yrs of age with guys half his age,i remember george kicking a fieldgoal to beat my redskins in the seventies,my hats off to him and may he rest in peace.

moe
09-29-2010, 08:01 PM
As you said arr&bee "What an athelete!"

RIP