PDA

View Full Version : Inez Foxx

test

Kamasu_Jr
01-18-2013, 03:50 PM
Man, what a fox!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvTI8xBU-dY [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvTI8xBU-dY)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hau7FoXKY4... [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hau7FoXKY4...I).Kumbaya

ralpht
01-18-2013, 05:42 PM
That girl could sing. Wow!

StuBass1
01-18-2013, 07:02 PM
I must have appeared with Charlie and Inez 3 times on Frantic Ernie Durhams shows at the 20 Grand. I remember they were both very friendly and true professionals...even when they were just appearing to promote a record.

ralpht
01-18-2013, 07:26 PM
That has to be one good memory, Stu.

Kamasu_Jr
01-18-2013, 07:34 PM
Stu has to tell us more about the 20 Grand.
You know Ralph, Inez Foxx could sing, but I think the reason she was not bigger is because she never sounded the same from record to record. To my ears, she sounds like Gladys Knight on No Stranger and someone else on Come By Here.
On another of her records, Count The Days, she sounds like a soul shouter.

ralpht
01-18-2013, 11:56 PM
You may be correct, Kam. An artist needs an identifiable identity or style. Some have been able to alter their styles, but not before they had become known. Tina Turner comes to mind.

StuBass1
01-19-2013, 01:57 AM
As a teenager I played in Ernies shows in the Gold Room on several occassions. Artists like Charlie & Inez, Gino Washington, The Cavaliers, Lee Rogers, Gwen Owens, and most of the local artists promoting a record would do those shows for Ernie. Many of the artists lip sync'd to their records, but the singers I played for used a band and did a live show. The Gold Room was geared towards a teenage audience while The Driftwood Lounge was the main room for the headline acts. Some of the headliners would come over to The Gold Room to do a song or two for the teenage crowd. The first time I played there I was probably 16 years old and the only caucasion in the place. My band mates followed me around watching my back untill I told em to back off because I was popular with some of the girls, probably because I was some sort of novelty LOL. Anyways...we had fun om those shows, particularly, getting to know the various artists backstage. I remember well Inez and Charlie doing Count The Days...lip syncing with Charlie pretend strumming his guitar and counting off the days. So yeah...that room was a lot of fun and I saw some really good singers and groups from that day.

144man
01-19-2013, 07:49 AM
Supremes' fans should give her "La De Da I Love You" a listen.

westgrandboulevard
01-19-2013, 08:03 AM
I know just what you mean.

Even given a roughhouse treatment, that melodic riff certainly lingers on....lol

splanky
01-19-2013, 09:23 AM
I'd never seen Inez and Charlie perform until today. Thanks for posting that video link.
Interesting about Inez's singing changes. Usually I hear that happen when someone comes
under the influence of a variety of other vocalists. I suspect that's what happened with Inez;
I'm making a mental note to try and research this later when I have more time. As far as
La De Da I Love You is concerned I get the connection but it's wasn't the first or last time
someone liked and used a riff from someone else's song....

Kamasu_Jr
01-19-2013, 11:34 AM
Stu, did you play with Gladys Knight and the Pips when they performed at Meadowbrook or Pine Knob? It was one of those venues where their live recording was done? Were there any restaurants or other hang out places near the 20 Grand? There was a motel attached to the 20 Grand too wasn't there? They bulldozed that site, didn't they? It was on the corner of Buchanan and something. My dad always wanted to go but he was 10-15 years younger than everyone else and couldn't get around on his own. He remembers it though. It was the place where most of the working class folk went to loosen up.

144man
01-19-2013, 02:42 PM
My favourite Inez Foxx track is "You Shouldn't Have Set My Soul On Fire" [[and it's not because it's catalogue number is Dynamo 144!)

StuBass1
01-19-2013, 04:52 PM
Never played for Gladys but I sure wish I did. My brother did some work with Gladys out here in L.A. and she lived right across the street from him for a time.

jsmith
01-20-2013, 05:04 AM
RE: I played in Ernies shows in the Gold Room on several occassions. Artists like Charlie & Inez, Gino Washington, The Cavaliers, Lee Rogers, Gwen Owens,

Stubass, what can you recall about playing for the Cavaliers & Gwen Owens ????

StuBass1
01-20-2013, 06:22 PM
RE: I played in Ernies shows in the Gold Room on several occassions. Artists like Charlie & Inez, Gino Washington, The Cavaliers, Lee Rogers, Gwen Owens,

Stubass, what can you recall about playing for the Cavaliers & Gwen Owens ????

I started playing for Gwen in 1966 for the Velgo label at New Mystical recording studio. I played on some of her tracks including "Wanted And Needed". I also played for her live including the shows I mentioned at the 20 Grand with our 13 piece band The Soul Delegates.

I also did some shows with The Cavaliers when I was bandleader for The Strides [[Later CJ & Company). I was asked by them [[The Cavaliers) to come over to the lead singers apartment during a rehearsal and write a bass arrangement for a song they were doing. They seemed like nice guys.