PDA

View Full Version : Bob Olhsson on Gladys Knight & How Motown Was A Pretty Good Place To Be

test

jobeterob
01-18-2013, 01:29 PM
Bob Olhsson from Facebook, on Gladys Knight:

She may have originally not wanted to go [[to Motown) but I can't remember anybody who was more into Motown than she was while I was recording her! Motown's original contracts looked much worse than they actually were. I never understood this until I saw my first Capitol contract a decade after I left Motown. Motown paid a third the points but it was based on list price as opposed to wholesale and nothing was deducted but advances and studio musician fees. The net income to an artist was probably lots more than what most labels paid.

midnight johnny
01-18-2013, 04:55 PM
Rob...thanks for posting. I love reading Bob's Motown experiences and recollections...
it's a bargain at twice the price!

ralpht
01-18-2013, 05:29 PM
And Bob knows what he is talking about.

jobeterob
01-18-2013, 06:29 PM
It's really nice to hear the positive from somebody that was there.

Especially because the post refutes one of the long standing complaints about Motown.

Kamasu_Jr
01-19-2013, 12:26 PM
Something from Gladys' & the Guys' Motown era:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLyNsgzEmAc

marv2
01-19-2013, 03:46 PM
Now they were singing live! This was the bomb and I can remember saving this clip to my favorites a while. Gladys and the Pips were so darn good, so professional and so synchopated that everything they did on stage they made it look easy!

Listen to the power and soul in that woman's voice.........Whew!

marv2
01-19-2013, 03:49 PM
Here is another of their Motown "Gems" that was very popular at the time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpMHDbJO7sU&list=FLjGjyr0mwvWbL_riGlN0Tdw&index=886

Methuselah2
01-20-2013, 03:04 AM
Great tidbit, Jobeterob. And terrific live clips, Kamasu & Marv. Thank you all.

stephanie
01-20-2013, 05:26 PM
bob thanks for the history.

jobeterob
01-21-2013, 07:14 PM
A bump up to remind everyone that most of the sensationalist stories about Motown are just that ~ they come out of a need to sell books. But their basis in reality ranks right where this story about Gladys Knight and Motown ranks ~ "they are nothing but stories".