PDA

View Full Version : Sisters Love - Love it? or Hate it?

test

sbpg636999
09-28-2010, 09:12 PM
The following review appeared on Amazon.com and I was really surprised. Everyone has an opinion, but I must say that I think the album is great. Mojo Magazine agrees with **** review in December issue.

If anyone is more excited about the album than this, I would love for them to post a review on Amazon.com [[USA)

The album is also doing nicely, within the confines of a mega declining physical product market.

Here's the review. Do you agree?

** Unreleased for nearly 40 years and with good reason [[I think that's the heading...)

I am a big admirer of the 'Reel Music' imprint who lovingly re-release classic R&B and jazz albums with superb remastering, excellent packaging and detailed liner notes. It is therefore with great sadness that I report that this 1st ever release of the Motown female group Sisters Love's album from the early 70's is a dud and a case of 'Reel Music' dropping the ball. A few years ago the peerless UK reissue label 'Soul Jazz' released a compilation of the best tracks from the tenure of Sisters Love at Motown and it was brilliant featuring their rare groove classic, "Give Me Your Love" and much else of nearly the same quality and I really highly recommend it. What has therefore gone wrong with this release? Well five tracks here overlap with the Soul Jazz release including the aforementioned "Give Me Your Love" and they are by some distance the best tracks here. Other than these 'overlaps' there are about two other top-drawer tracks, "Communication" & "[[I Could Never Make) A Better Man Than You" which follow to good effect the funk/soul hybrid template of the Soul Jazz comp. The remainder of the tracks comprise cliched Motown stompers sounding like throwbacks to the 60's, a couple of pretty weak ballads and some misfiring cover versions such as "Do What You Gotta Do", "Sweet Inspiration" & "Giving Up" none of which are going to make you forget the classic versions by Nina Simone, The Sweet Inspirations and Donny Hathaway respectively. Worst of all is a pseudo-"rave up" version of "Turn On Your Lovelight" with fake 'live' crowd accompaniment which is frankly atrocious. A great shame therefore and is a reminder that much unreleased music is unreleased for a reason, it just isn't very good and this set is no different with the best tracks already mined for a much superior compilation and things should really have been left at that.

mowest
09-28-2010, 09:46 PM
The positive review of "With Love" I posted recently with this forum is now on Amazon.
Yes, everyone is entitled to an opinion but I strongly disagree with the one posted above. Would love to read other reviews as well.

motown01
09-29-2010, 12:54 AM
The fact that this person thinks that Donny Hathaway recorded the 'classic' version of Giving Up leaves something to be said about their review.

This album is an absolute gem and I'm glad to have it as part of my collection.

copley
09-29-2010, 04:39 AM
Oh dear, that's unfortunate considering all the love, care, attention & money that Reel put into their product. Reel also listen to what we Motown lovers want and we wanted 'With Love' which has been re-mastered unlike the poor quality Soul Jazz release. Anyway he/she's entitled to an opinion even if I consider it to be so wrong!

mrlonleyheart
09-29-2010, 06:05 AM
In my opinion itīs an excellent album. The sound is very amazing and the covered tunes from the 60īs [[Sweet Inspiration, Giving up, etc) comes again in a new Sisters-Love-Style, the voices are very unique of the group an so are the tracks. Most groups of Motown have covered some tracks of the sixties, but the Sisters Love have there own way to performe it very special.

This album contains many styles of music, this is true but The Sisters Love werenīt no "Motown Marionetteīs" like other groups, this is the different in my opinion.

Kamasu_Jr
09-29-2010, 08:05 AM
The following review appeared on Amazon.com and I was really surprised. Everyone has an opinion, but I must say that I think the album is great. Mojo Magazine agrees with **** review in December issue.

If anyone is more excited about the album than this, I would love for them to post a review on Amazon.com [[USA)

The album is also doing nicely, within the confines of a mega declining physical product market.

Here's the review. Do you agree?

** Unreleased for nearly 40 years and with good reason [[I think that's the heading...)

I am a big admirer of the 'Reel Music' imprint who lovingly re-release classic R&B and jazz albums with superb remastering, excellent packaging and detailed liner notes. It is therefore with great sadness that I report that this 1st ever release of the Motown female group Sisters Love's album from the early 70's is a dud and a case of 'Reel Music' dropping the ball. A few years ago the peerless UK reissue label 'Soul Jazz' released a compilation of the best tracks from the tenure of Sisters Love at Motown and it was brilliant featuring their rare groove classic, "Give Me Your Love" and much else of nearly the same quality and I really highly recommend it. What has therefore gone wrong with this release? Well five tracks here overlap with the Soul Jazz release including the aforementioned "Give Me Your Love" and they are by some distance the best tracks here. Other than these 'overlaps' there are about two other top-drawer tracks, "Communication" & "[[I Could Never Make) A Better Man Than You" which follow to good effect the funk/soul hybrid template of the Soul Jazz comp. The remainder of the tracks comprise cliched Motown stompers sounding like throwbacks to the 60's, a couple of pretty weak ballads and some misfiring cover versions such as "Do What You Gotta Do", "Sweet Inspiration" & "Giving Up" none of which are going to make you forget the classic versions by Nina Simone, The Sweet Inspirations and Donny Hathaway respectively. Worst of all is a pseudo-"rave up" version of "Turn On Your Lovelight" with fake 'live' crowd accompaniment which is frankly atrocious. A great shame therefore and is a reminder that much unreleased music is unreleased for a reason, it just isn't very good and this set is no different with the best tracks already mined for a much superior compilation and things should really have been left at that.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Fans of Sisters Love will support the release, others will not.
I had to listen to With Love several times before I got it. I agree with the reviewer's take on some of the covers [[mainly Do What You Gotta Do & Sweet Inspiration). Both were done better by Nina Simone & the Sweet Inspirations in my view, but I liked With Love as a whole. I got their version of Turn On Your Lovelight. I've heard Sisters Love were a powerhouse during "Live" performances and I assume the song was included to give listerners a taste of what they were like in performance.

tomato tom
09-29-2010, 03:21 PM
Ah...some peeps will never be happy will they? We hope, pray and long for these releases to come out, and then someone wants to ***** them. Well **** them. Thank you Reel, MOTOWN, & THE SISTERS LOVE for this. Can someone please come Fix this Mr Fix It Man?? You Got To Make Your Choice???..Lots Love a\lways Paulo XXXX

mrlonleyheart
09-30-2010, 07:00 AM
There is something special in the "Sweet Inspiration" track in my opinion, compared with the original. Every time when I heard the songs, both, I think by myself the voices are catched in the song, in the production and both Cissy and Vermettya try with there amazing voices to "destroy" the basic which the other group members gave that song, they gave them the full power and sweet harmonies. And both Cissy and Vermettya are from a gospel backround, another point make the whole thing unique.

Kamasu_Jr
09-30-2010, 10:14 AM
There is something special in the "Sweet Inspiration" track in my opinion, compared with the original. Every time when I heard the songs, both, I think by myself the voices are catched in the song, in the production and both Cissy and Vermettya try with there amazing voices to "destroy" the basic which the other group members gave that song, they gave them the full power and sweet harmonies. And both Cissy and Vermettya are from a gospel backround, another point make the whole thing unique.

One thing I noticed about With Love over the CD issud by Soul Jazz, which some of Sisters Love detested, is that With Love has tracks featuring other members of the group. It's not all Vermettya leads, which marred the disc on Soul Jazz
Vermettya has a powerful voice, but it can be too much at times. I like variety. I wonder if the ladies like this CD much better?

blueskies
09-30-2010, 11:26 AM
I'd have to agree with Kamasu on this one. I, too, like Vermettya......but......one song after another is like a dental drill and it was a nice break to have others on lead. Have really been enjoying the CD and much thanks to Reel Music. Keep up the good work!

rod_rick
09-30-2010, 09:04 PM
Hey Kamasu I will ask Jeannie if she and the other ladies prefer the new cd over the others. She never mention to me that she had the other cd.

honest opinions
09-30-2010, 09:43 PM
I think that nobody is supposed to like everything that you do. And if the reviewer praises all of Reel Music's other releases and does not like just this one.....then we have entered a weird zone that nobody here really wants to be part of. I wish that my label was as universally beloved as Reel. But Reel hit the ground running and has only run faster. So if one guy in the crowd yells out "hey you aint running fast enough ya bum", what does it really mean?

I get it Paul. It hurts when you put your effort and the efforts of others into something heartfelt, you cajole, you argue, you check levels you worked...hard. And this cretin comes in with a few words and savages it all.

But see....he didnt. Your work is appreciated.

It's like when a novelist writes a timeless work.....and then some hack comes along and makes a bad movie out of it. The book is STILL there. The MOVIE is bad.

SISTERS LOVE is a great reissue. You know it. I know it. One guy didnt know it. So what?
And yes.....this is ME. DC. The guy that works for the label that put out such crap 3 years ago......that hardly anybody has noticed it turned around when I came aboard 2 years ago. If I got your reviews....I'd love life.

You are Michael Jordan. I am Patrick Ewing. I may play hard....but so what? Sports Illustrated wrote an article about your gambling? Who cares? You're JORDAN. Get it??

Kamasu_Jr
09-30-2010, 11:53 PM
Hey Kamasu I will ask Jeannie if she and the other ladies prefer the new cd over the others. She never mention to me that she had the other cd.

Cool. If I recall accurately, some of the ladies even posted on the old SDF asking us not o support the Soul Jazz disc, but there was very little Sisters Love on digital disc at the time so many of us bought it anyway.

mrlonleyheart
10-02-2010, 07:56 AM
Hi Folks, now finally I think on both Cds there where missing tracks, on Soul Jazz we missed "And this is love" and "Are you lonley?" [[Describes in the Motown Booklet as the one and only Top 20 song)

And then on the Motown CD where is "His honey is sweet" ? And I have another question who sings the lead vocals on this track ???? Lillie Fort or Jeannie Long? Thank you very much for any help and answer

johnny_raven
10-02-2010, 11:07 AM
The song is actually called "His Honey Sweet Is Lemon Tasted" and is lead by Gwen Berry.

mrlonleyheart
10-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Thank you very much for the info, now I have discover in the sdf vaults a whole list which unreleased tracks by the group.
There are another track lead by Lillie Fort and the group recorded a version of "I heard it through the grapevine". Anyone knows more ???? Maybe there were plans for a second album release ??????

brother_love
10-02-2010, 01:14 PM
The songs that were missing on the Soul Jazz collection were:

Eye To Eye
Are You Lonley?
Piece Of My Heart
And This Is Love
[[I Could Never Make) A Better Man Than You

I heard the reason they were not included was that the person who compiled this collection they did care for these tracks. I could have done with out the Man-Child single, [[which was dubbed from a 45) it just did not fit in.

rod_rick
10-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Okay Just spoke to Jeannie Long
She said that they prefer the new release to the old one. As Johnny Raven stated, Its Gwen Berry singing lead on "His Honey Is Sweet" and because this was a MoWest production they did not include "Are You Lonely". Are You Lonely was recorded for A&M records.

midnightman
10-02-2010, 06:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSxV0YQuHCU

This song is so funky. :cool:

brother_love
10-02-2010, 07:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNHcjT2VbfU

Talk about funky...

brother_love
10-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Check out this interview I came across from Blues & Soul, 1973.

http://www.soulmusic.com/silo19in.html