PDA

View Full Version : "Kid Motown" Drew Schultz

test

stingbeelee
01-11-2013, 08:26 PM
This article is regarding our very own Drew Schultz in the Detroit News by Susan Whitall and Chuck Bennett :

Kudos to Four Tops drummer Drew Schultz , just 24, who donated $1,000 to the Detroit Public Schools Foundation out of proceeds from the sale of his new album, "Back to Class." Schultz says the 16-song album is a "love letter to Detroit," and the young musician tapped a slew of Motor City icons to help him out on the disc, including his bosses the Four Tops , Spyder Turner , Melvin Davis , James Jamerson Jr ., Pat Lewis and Dennis Coffey . Schultz got his gig with the Tops after he studied music at New York University and then interned with Motown archivist Harry Weinger in New York. How did a 24-year-old become such a Motown geek? He first heard Motown on cassettes owned by his mother, who played in bands. "I guess when I started chasing girls, the music actually started meaning something," he said. "And I've been a soul music nut ever since. Somehow I got hit harder by the Detroit records: Motown, Groovesville, etc." For information on Drew's "Back to Class" album, go to www.dsdrums.com.
I wish I knew how to download the picture, it is a nice one of Drew, 4 Tops, Spyder Turner, Pat Lewis, Dennis Coffey. The link is below:

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130111/ENT09/301110346#ixzz2HiTGdLR4

marv2
01-11-2013, 10:44 PM
This is the type of story I like to hear more. Way to go Drew Schultz!!!

heikki
01-13-2013, 02:14 AM
Hi!

www.soulexpress.net/deep4_2012.htm#funkmachine

Best regards
Heikki

StuBass1
01-13-2013, 02:31 AM
Kudos to Drew. He's one hellava terrific guy.

chidrummer
01-16-2013, 11:42 AM
"kid motown" I like that. I wish more of you could meet Drew. He's got so much energy and absolutely LOVES Detroit music. I'll give you hand, stingb. here's the shot from the article:

I've also got a shot of Drew on the job, doin' what he does best.

stingbeelee
01-16-2013, 04:50 PM
Thank you Chidrummer!! There is a lot of "Star Power" in that picture, with Spyder Turner, Pat Lewis, James Jamerson Jr., Melvin Davis, Dennis Coffey and some other folk I don't recognize, but if you can identify, please do so.

drewschultz88
01-16-2013, 10:32 PM
You guys are too kind! Thanks for the support, this project has been a dream come true. The picture, from left to right:

Spyder Turner, Pat Lewis, Ken Knox [[of Chairmen of the Board), Lawrence Payton Jr, James Jamerson Jr, Spike DeLeon, some scraggly-haired kid, Melvin Davis, Abdul "Duke" Fakir, Steve Adams [[co-producer of Back to Class), Ronnie McNeir, June Jones [[Uriel Jones' widow), and Dennis Coffey.

It's been a very interesting process trying to get the word out about an independent project like this, but hopefully things will keep rolling! You guys might get a kick out of the video we put together about the event. I hope you all like it! I'm a soul music fan to the core.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuQuYUjFlQU&list=PL67985DD4020D9905&index=1