PDA

View Full Version : Liz Lands R.I.P.

test

jsmith
01-11-2013, 02:11 PM
Ian Levine has let it be known that Liz Lands passed away in Atlanta earlier today.

jsmith
01-11-2013, 02:17 PM
One of her later 45's ............

RossHolloway
01-11-2013, 03:55 PM
This is sad news.

blueskies
01-11-2013, 04:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvunNyvUmKM

I really like Liz on this song....the hair-do....not so much.
RIP Liz and thanks for the music

markdtiller
01-11-2013, 05:51 PM
Maybe this will prompt Motown/Universal/Hip-O to release a collection. Apparently there's an album full in the vaults.

copley
01-11-2013, 08:00 PM
Is there any actual official confirmation of this? Would love a Liz album but it's as likely as hell freezing over.

marybrewster
01-11-2013, 10:48 PM
I thought Ms. Lands passed several years ago?

Methuselah2
01-12-2013, 02:14 AM
Blueskies - Thanks for posting the song. Loved it, Liz's voice, and her 'do, too. All very beautiful.

markdtiller
01-12-2013, 01:57 PM
I made myself a 2 CD collection of all her [[released) solo recordings, her Mary Wells' Motown and Motorcity recordings, plus some of her work with [[Hamilton) Bohannon, who also used ex-Motowner Carolyn Crawford a lot. She did a duet on T & L label "Somebody Bigger Than You And I" with some uncredited guy - anyone know who?

LIZ LANDS

Untamed! [[1959)
1. Ol' Man River
2. Snow White Gown
3. Ku Ku Ba
4. Plain Gold Ring
5. Have A Child
6. From The Womb To The Tomb
7. Summertime
8. Friday The Thirteenth
9. Mr. Mountain
10. The Children
11. The Mighty One
12. Walk Softly Children

13. We Shall Overcome [[1963)
14. Trouble In This Land
15. May What He Lived For Live
16. He's Got The Whole World In His Hands
17. In The Wee Small Hours Of The Morning
18. Oh Little Boy [[w/MARY WELLS) [[1964)
19. Midnight Johnny [[w/The Temptations)
20. Keep Me [[w/The Temptations)
21. I Wish You Love [[1965)
22. One Man's Poison [[1967)
23. Don't Shut Me Out
24. Come In The Room
25. Somebody Bigger Than You And I – duet with ?
26. Silent Night [[Part 1) w/Paul Mitchell Trio
27. Silent Night [[Part 2) w/Paul Mitchell Trio

1. Echo In The Background [[Of My Broken Heart) [[1968)
2. Qualify For My Love
3. Cotton Fields
4. Let It Be Me
5. Since I Met You Baby
6. Baby I'm For Real [[w/Bohannon) [[1980)
7. The Hammer [[w/Bohannon)
8. Thoughts And Wishes [[w/Bohannon)
9. The Funk Walk [[w/Bohannon)
10. The Funk Walk [[Fast Version) w/Bohannon
11. April My Love [[Part 1) w/Bohannon
13. You're The One [[w/Bohannon)
14. Starting All Over Again [[1990)
15. How Sweet It Is [[To Be Loved By You)
16. Like A Raging Fire
17. Further Than Ever
18. Headline News
19. Walk The City Streets [[w/MARY WELLS)
20. Hang On In There Baby [[w/JOHNNY BRISTOL)
21. Someday We'll Be Together [[w/JOHNNY BRISTOL)
22. Starting All Over Again [[12")

midnight johnny
01-12-2013, 10:19 PM
I think it's a little odd and in questionable taste to treat Liz Lands as if she has passed away when there is no clear verification that it is fact. The information seemed to come from some unknown person who posted one of Ian Levine's youtube videos, identifying themselves as a niece or nephew. Ian's response was surprise and not verification. And I have searched to find some shread of clarity to no avail. If anyone else has found information to clarify, I would hope it would be posted. Wasn't there a similar situation that happened in the past few months where a rumor was promoted on SDF about the apparent passing of someone of interest which wasn't correct?

stephanie
01-12-2013, 11:06 PM
I saw a posting in one of the clips on youtube and a person said Liz Lands passed away and she is my aunt. So I dont know why this would not be true and the posting was made 2 days ago and Ian responded to it. I understand your concern though Midnight Johnny ..I guess because Liz is not a household name I dont think that is the kind of rumor someone would pass no disrespect to Ms Lands.

rod_rick
01-12-2013, 11:25 PM
I saw a posting in one of the clips on youtube and a person said Liz Lands passed away and she is my aunt. So I dont know why this would not be true and the posting was made 2 days ago and Ian responded to it. I understand your concern though Midnight Johnny ..I guess because Liz is not a household name I dont think that is the kind of rumor someone would pass no disrespect to Ms Lands.

Wasn't there questions a few years ago on the old board regarding Liz Lands whereabouts that were never answerd? I beleive at the time it wasn't known if she was still alive.

midnightman
01-12-2013, 11:26 PM
Hmm, there hasn't been a lot of knowledge about Liz, has it?

woodward
01-13-2013, 09:17 AM
I have checked numerous Atlanta newspapers with no success. Liz Lands was her name 50 years ago - has she remarried and got a new last name? Who knows? Liz is a nickname for Elizabeth. I too wonder if this is fact or fiction. Some verification needs made.

splanky
01-13-2013, 09:54 AM
j.smith, are you friends with Ian Levine?...

I found this today yet I still don't trust it's validity....

http://www.soul-source.co.uk/_/articles/soul-news/liz-lands-rip-r2626

Since when did Ian Levine become a news outlet? Just wondering...
If it's true of course I'll say RIP but this is not the way I prefer to recieve news. He say she say
is a trip and "they" is a mutha.....

markdtiller
04-21-2013, 05:25 AM
Any further news on Liz? Sh has an unreleased song "I Gotta Right To Sing The Blues" on the new Finders Keepers compilation. Another one for my collection. The liner notes say she recorded a huge amount of other stuff for Motown, including two live albums.
Henry/Andy I would love a Liz Lands compilation!

fatmaninthethirdrow
04-21-2013, 03:30 PM
From what I have seen listed as in the vault, the vast bulk of recordings are of jazz/Mor standards and a bit of gospel - and not of Motown Sound type tunes. Be Warned!

markdtiller
04-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Yes, I expected as much. That's all right with me. If they have a good voice, and she did. She was/is versatile.