PDA

View Full Version : Lynda Laurence interview...quite good!

test

revvy
01-09-2013, 07:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP1vDxFSlT8

I think she handles herself quite well here. Don't you agree?

captainjames
01-09-2013, 07:29 PM
LOVED IT
Lynda is a very classy lady

Roberta75
01-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Lynda Lawrence is a very beautiful and classy lady and she's real accessible and warm if you ever meet her. This was a nice interview.

Thank you.

Roberta

stopinthenameoflove
01-09-2013, 07:56 PM
I'm still amazed she can remember that whole thirteen months as a Supreme from so long ago. I guess some temp jobs make an impression on you

Roberta75
01-09-2013, 07:58 PM
I'm still amazed she can remember that whole thirteen months as a Supreme from so long ago. I guess some temp jobs make an impression on you

And this is where the thread go south.

nabob
01-09-2013, 08:49 PM
And this is where the thread go south.Not to take things south, but Ms Lawrence aside from being extremely articulate and poised couches the interview as if she were there in the glory days with Mary, Diana, Florence, & Cindy. Any one familiar with the history of the Supremes can smile throughout the interview. The non-Supreme discussions are a delight.

Kamasu_Jr
01-09-2013, 08:56 PM
She'll always have my respect whether she was a temp Supreme or not. I don't really care. Her father was a brilliant singer and he produced her, so she can't be that bad in my opinion.

Roberta75
01-09-2013, 08:59 PM
She'll always have my respect whether she was a temp Supreme or not. I don't really care. Her father was a brilliant singer and he produced her, so she can't be that bad in my opinion.

Yes Kamasu_Jr Ira Tucker was a fine man and Lynda is a fine lady. Stevie Wonder thoughts so too.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

captainjames
01-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Lynda is good
Haters be gone - Not too over the top and flare and definitely does not do that "JacKee" impression when talking.

floyjoy678
01-10-2013, 01:11 PM
Lynda is a Supreme in my eyes and she is a beautiful woman. She's definitely got a little Philly accent when she speaks.

jobeterob
01-10-2013, 01:47 PM
Was a long interview; could only listen to the first part yesterday. She seems quite normal and nice. Of course they all play up their time with Diana or the Supremes because that is when their success came.

I recall checking once and of the Supremes other than Diana, Lynda had the greatest chart success of the other Supremes........well it was either Lynda or Scherrie. Both did better than Florence and Mary.

markdtiller
01-10-2013, 06:38 PM
Only managed to watch half of it so far. But the interviewer is a dreadful sycophant with his inane questions. You have to admire Lynda for holding her patience.

nathanj06
01-10-2013, 06:51 PM
That guy needs new role models. Regardless of her short lived "career", Lynda Laurence makes a living off of someone else's work. Had she stayed and they had hit records, the outcome may have been different but it wasn't. She's a background singer. The guy interviewing her needs a refresher course in journalism. Lynda also seemed to get her facts wrong. Cindy Birdsong from Delaware? She [[with The Supremes) won many awards and she doesn't know what they were? Must have been that Grammy for album of the year for "Let's Try Jimmy Webb". RTL didn't shut down due to poor ticket sales? For someone who claims to keep the legacy alive, she certainly has her own version of it. I'll just go listen to "Disco Lucy" and see if I can hear which one is her. Forgot. Don't own it. :confused:

jobeterob
01-10-2013, 09:01 PM
Most of what you recite is accurate Nathan. But all of the other Supremes besides Diana are all that way.......and it is pretty much to be expected. Their time with the Supremes was the highlight of their careers. Basically, none of them had a solo hit and they all live off their hits with Diana; that is what they are remembered for. But we would all be the same if it were us. And Diana could have chosen to carry on with RTL if she wanted; it was her call and she would not go along with the promoter.........she just had to move into smaller arenas and sign with that company forever; and as we know, she's been in the business too long to have people make decisions for her. Still, that kind of crowd is far in excess of anything the other Supremes get to play for and the crowds are thinning as each year goes by. Somebody recently posted a poster clearly made out of some photocopied, typed up sheet advertising a recent appearance and it wasn't no Radio City Music Hall or the Nokia Theatre.

marv2
01-10-2013, 09:17 PM
It is my understanding that Diane lives off of the hits she had with Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard and increasingly has to fall back on full versions of them in her shows now. That was not always the case when she had a somewhat viable solo career.......

Say what you want about RTL. It was a disaster the moment it was announced that it would proceed without Mary and Cindy. The fact that it was cancelled due to low ticket sales had nothing whatsoever to do with Diane and the promoters not seeing eye to eye. The public knew nothing about any of that and was staying away because they put out something that no one wanted to see! This other story was concocted to save face ...mainly Diane's! All of those ladies including Diane career highlights was when they were members of the Supremes. Diane was just one of them, a Supreme.

revvy
01-10-2013, 10:34 PM
When I posted this interview, I really hoped it wouldn't turn into a Lynda-bashing thread. I was hoping to spotlight Lynda for the elegant and gracious lady she is. All the women in the Supremes are truly Supreme. That stated, I always wondered why in interviews [[like this one) Lynda and Scherrie don't correct interviewers when they assume they were there during the hit-making years. They always seem to want to take credit for the group's overall success. I also find it unnerving that in the FLOS shows they always have to insist there were 8 Supremes as if to justify their presence. As for RTL, I'm sure there was some underlying issue with the promoters wanting to roster DIana for their upcoming transfer of assets, but we all know that tour was canceled because of empty seats, way too steep ticket prices, bad press and a bogus lineup.

Let's face it: nobody and I mean NOBODY can sing the Supremes hits and get away with it other than Diana. Not Mary, not Cindy nor anyone that followed. Diana has a great pop/commercial sound. Florence nailed the R&B stuff. Mary, Scherrie and Lynda excel in jazz, Cindy holds the gospel/church catalog while Jean and Susaye could sing my electric bill and get away with it.

On the whole, I'm glad this interview put Lynda in a good light. She seems like a delightful person.

jobeterob
01-11-2013, 12:06 AM
That's a fair assessment Revvy. But I do think it is quite natural for them to play up their spot; although, it isn't flattering when any of them try to take as much credit as possible; and then there is Diana who doesn't really say much..........she lets the rest of them fight for 2nd or whatever it is they need.

marv2
01-11-2013, 12:33 AM
That's a fair assessment Revvy. But I do think it is quite natural for them to play up their spot; although, it isn't flattering when any of them try to take as much credit as possible; and then there is Diana who doesn't really say much..........she lets the rest of them fight for 2nd or whatever it is they need.

She said a whole lot in that restaurant the other day evidently! LOL!

Ryon6
01-11-2013, 08:12 PM
Well Marv, what did she say in that restaurant the other day? I don't know or care about anyone else, but I would like to know!

marv2
01-11-2013, 08:17 PM
Well Marv, what did she say in that restaurant the other day? I don't know or care about anyone else, but I would like to know!

Me too! I am waiting for an eyewitness account because this should be real good! LOL!

Roberta75
01-11-2013, 08:20 PM

Odd that there hasn't been one eye witness account or you tube club of Diane allegedly causing a scene in a restaurant. Youd think in the days of camera phones somebody waiting would have recorded this. Real real strange that there have been no eye witness accounts from other customers. Give marv2 enough time Ryon6 and he will conjure up a conversation lol.

Roberta

marv2
01-11-2013, 08:27 PM
Odd that there hasn't been one eye witness account or you tube club of Diane allegedly causing a scene in a restaurant. Youd think in the days of camera phones somebody waiting would have recorded this. Real real strange that there have been no eye witness accounts from other customers. Give marv2 enough time Ryon6 and he will conjure up a conversation lol.

Roberta

Po Roberta. You've been reduced to this? I feel sorry for you, but thems the breaks! LOL!!!

jobeterob
01-11-2013, 08:36 PM
K this is what I heard.........

Miss Ross had on a cape.

And when Rhonda appeared, Rhonda jumped on her back, hands around neck..........Miss Ross, her hands held high, diva fashion, as only Miss Ross can...............jetted off into the eye of the storm, like the Superwoman she is.

Rhonda has a Mongrammed DR ring on her Third Finger, Right Hand and when Miss Ross stormed out of the restaurant, she flew directly east and when they stopped, it was because Miss Rhonda Ross's DR Monogrammed ring had emblazoned a DR on Marv's left nipple ~ which is where they all stopped ~ sidewalk on a street with Marvin [[no Gaye, no Johnson), just Marv2 branded with the DR ring!

Ryon6
01-11-2013, 08:55 PM
Me too! I am waiting for an eyewitness account because this should be real good! LOL!

Damn, I thought you knew.

luke
01-11-2013, 11:12 PM
I am meeting friends for lunch tomorrow in Manhattan and I was told we all better be on time because my friend who made the reservation was told no table if all are not there on time. Uh oh.

Roberta75
01-11-2013, 11:15 PM
I am meeting friends for lunch tomorrow in Manhattan and I was told we all better be on time because my friend who made the reservation was told no table if all are not there on time. Uh oh.

And what does your lunch plan with friend have to do with this Lynda Lawrence thread?

midnightman
01-11-2013, 11:22 PM
Lynda Laurence is a sweetheart. But some of you guys are the reason no one comes here to talk about Motown.

jillfoster
01-12-2013, 12:01 AM
OK... I finally listened to Disco Lucy. WHY, oh WHY does this woman treat this recording as some kind of feather in her cap? It's not bad at all, but she and some other singers sing FOUR DAMN WORDS. "Dance, dance, disco Lucy!" a couple of times in a song ain't nothin to be braggin about. Holy camel toes. And all the comments by the disco afficionados think the vocal mars the song, it would be much better as a straight instrumental. And I agree.

luke
01-12-2013, 11:37 AM
LOL jill. It must have been at the zenith[[or nadir) of disco along with Ethel Merman's disco album. Save us.

Kamasu_Jr
01-12-2013, 07:28 PM
Disco Lucy my aunt Fanny.
One reason why I'll never knock Lynda Lawrence. Her daddy was a baaaddd man. Ira Tucker rocked. The Supremes were lucky to get her and had Ira coached them just a little, they would have been better, in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6IU9Hha4E8

midnightman
01-12-2013, 07:44 PM
Disco Lucy my aunt Fanny.
One reason why I'll never knock Lynda Lawrence. Her daddy was a baaaddd man. Ira Tucker rocked. The Supremes were lucky to get her and had Ira coached them just a little, they would have been better, in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6IU9Hha4E8

Right. Like I said about Mary Wells, it don't seem like any of the established Motown acts had a really good manager. I always thought the way management was handled was the real reason why so many of Motown's acts weren't given the way to continue a successful recording career after a certain period. Especially when Motown told the artists to trust them and no one else. It's like what happened with Norman Whitfield and Rose Royce later on.

franjoy56
01-13-2013, 01:36 AM
I have nothing bad to say about Lynda Laurence, I think she was a gracious member of the Supremes back in the day, and it was through her we got to hear and experience
the trauma of "Bad Weather" not making the upper reaches of the charts it was a great reccord. If Stevie hadn't written bad weather through Lynda's request, Jean might have left the group after the Jimmy Webb project Igimtm did just as poor #85 to Bad Weather's #87.

tamlaUK
01-13-2013, 10:47 AM
This is a lovely treat - thank you for sharing.
Lynda is such an articulate and gracious lady and beautiful too.

Roberta75
01-14-2013, 09:28 AM
This is a lovely treat - thank you for sharing.
Lynda is such an articulate and gracious lady and beautiful too.

Miss Lynda Lawrence is gracious and so lovely. i met her once after a concert and she was real sweet and kind and shes gorgeous as well. She graciously signed a personalized photo for me. A classy and lovely woman.

Roberta