PDA

View Full Version : "Good girl" Gladys Knight

test

musicology kate
01-09-2013, 01:08 PM
I read Gladys Knight's autobiography a little while back [["Between Each Line of Pain and Glory"), and I found it interesting that she often refers to her "good girl" reputation growing up and among other musicians on the road. From her music, I never really thought of her that way - her songs [[not to mention her voice!) always sounded too mature and complex for me to think of her as the "good girl" type. Maybe more of a "classy professional" instead, and often downright seductive [["Help Me Make It Through the Night" and "If I Were Your Woman" anyone?).

What do you all think? I only started hearing her in the 80s [[I was born too late!) so maybe I missed the part of her career where she was marketed as a "good girl"...

Kamasu_Jr
01-09-2013, 01:14 PM
I've got a dee jay friend who is convinced she's nutso and far from being a good girl. He says she's been married too many times to be so goody good. I guess to hiim that's proof enough that there's something wrong with her somewhere.

reese
01-09-2013, 01:15 PM
I don't know if she was ever marketed as a "good girl." I think she has that image because she always comes off as rather friendly, and there are rarely, if any, negative mentions of her in the press.

Kamasu_Jr
01-09-2013, 01:17 PM
Maybe she hides her true side well? She is positive on that Apollo Live show, always nice and encouraging. But is anybody is that damned nice all of the time?

Roberta75
01-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Maybe she hides her true side well? She is positive on that Apollo Live show, always nice and encouraging. But is anybody is that damned nice all of the time?

I thought Miss Gladys Knight was real insincere at the Apollo live show last week. It came across as phony to me when Gladys offered the girl who sang I will Always love YOu a job as her opening act. Miss knight is there to judge and be a critic. She never say anything thats real constructive IMO.

Roberta

captainjames
01-09-2013, 02:41 PM
Don't know about the "image" thing but as far as song and dance wasn't there a thing a while back when " I don't Wanna Do Wrong" was recorded that she thought it was too risky ?

reese
01-09-2013, 02:58 PM
I thought Miss Gladys Knight was real insincere at the Apollo live show last week. It came across as phony to me when Gladys offered the girl who sang I will Always love YOu a job as her opening act. Miss knight is there to judge and be a critic. She never say anything thats real constructive IMO.

Roberta

I thought it was strange that she offered the girl a job. At first I wondered was she going to do that for every contestant that she liked, and was the offer even sincere. It seemed a bit weird.

That said, after watching the entire APOLLO LIVE season, I have seen Gladys make some constructive comments to some of the contestants, regarding phrasing, stage attire, and so forth. I really liked when she told some of the contestants to stick with the melody and just sing. I am tired of these singers who go up and down and all over the musical scale trying to hit every note in their range.

reese
01-09-2013, 03:00 PM
Don't know about the "image" thing but as far as song and dance wasn't there a thing a while back when " I don't Wanna Do Wrong" was recorded that she thought it was too risky ?

It was IF I WERE YOUR WOMAN that she took issue with it. She thought the woman in it was too aggressive, and was not pleased when Berry Gordy released it.

marv2
01-09-2013, 06:05 PM

Yeah, Mary Wilson! [[smile..)

luke
01-09-2013, 08:36 PM
Couldnt Gladys have just been really moved by the performance and make a very nice gesture/offer? Marv you are right about Mary. Even the Rossers have to admit that-well no Im sure they wont.

Roberta75
01-09-2013, 08:41 PM
Couldnt Gladys have just been really moved by the performance and make a very nice gesture/offer? Marv you are right about Mary. Even the Rossers have to admit that-well no Im sure they wont.

Her we go . We cat even have a discussion about Gladys Knight without you bringing up Diane ross fans. Seriously do some voluteer work at your local hospital or library. It cant healthy to be so enthralled or disgusted or infatuate by Diane now is it? you need other outlets Imo.

Roberta

marv2
01-09-2013, 08:44 PM
Her we go . We cat even have a discussion about Gladys Knight without you bringing up Diane ross fans. Seriously do some voluteer work at your local hospital or library. It cant healthy to be so enthralled or disgusted or infatuate by Diane now is it? you need other outlets Imo.

Roberta

Well shouldn't you be reading some Bible chapters or Psalms right about now?

marv2
01-09-2013, 08:45 PM

In the 50- plus years that Mary has been famous, you never hear of her exploding in public. That goes for Gladys Knight too!

Kamasu_Jr
01-09-2013, 08:53 PM
After I thought about it, Gladys Knight is an old school entertainer. And there are certain things some old school entertainers just don't do like cussing in public, smoking cigarettes, etc. They keep their private lives private and maintain their images. I haven't heard too many negative things about Gladys Knight. My friend thinks she's a wack job and phony, but he's probably encountered her at some point and maybe it wasn't pleasant. Roberta, you are so right. Gladys Knight has nothing to do with Diana Ross or Mary Wilson. Why they have to be brought up in every thread is NUTSO if you ask me.

simplysupreme
01-09-2013, 08:55 PM

Roberta

Amen, Roberta. This is SDF's resident [[psycho) psychiatrist who is always analyzing Diana, when he needs to heed his own advice.

simplysupreme
01-09-2013, 08:57 PM
Gladys Knight has nothing to do with Diana Ross or Mary Wilson. Why they have to be brought up in every thread is NUTSO if you ask me.

NUTSO, that's the word, Kamasu!

Roberta75
01-09-2013, 09:00 PM
Amen, Roberta. This is SDF's resident [[psycho) psychiatrist who is always analyzing Diana, when he needs to heed his own advice.

All you can do is shake your head and laugh real loud and pray for him.

Happy new year my dear.

Roberta

Roberta75
01-09-2013, 09:02 PM
After I thought about it, Gladys Knight is an old school entertainer. And there are certain things some old school entertainers just don't do like cussing in public, smoking cigarettes, etc. They keep their private lives private and maintain their images. I haven't heard too many negative things about Gladys Knight. My friend thinks she's a wack job and phony, but he's probably encountered her at some point and maybe it wasn't pleasant. Roberta, you are so right. Gladys Knight has nothing to do with Diana Ross or Mary Wilson. Why they have to be brought up in every thread is NUTSO if you ask me.

Its the same 2 or 3 culprits that bring Diane and mary into every thread and the same 2 or 3 or 4 that cause most threads to go south. Its a real shame but we can't let it spoil our beautiful day can we?

Best to you.

Roberta

simplysupreme
01-09-2013, 09:10 PM
All you can do is shake your head and laugh real loud and pray for him.

Happy new year my dear.

Roberta

LOL You got that right! Pray for the "touched."

Happy New Year, to you! :)

helga
01-10-2013, 01:23 AM
I have never heard or read anything negative about Gladys Knight and I think she is truly sincere and is the real deal. There will always be rumours about people, but it doesn't mean it's true. Gladys comes across as humble and down to earth. There is not an egotistical bone in her body. I believe she's the most humble of all the divas. If you're going to accuse her of being crazy, at least have some sort of first hand evidence to back it up.

Kamasu_Jr
01-10-2013, 08:41 AM
I have never heard or read anything negative about Gladys Knight and I think she is truly sincere and is the real deal. There will always be rumours about people, but it doesn't mean it's true. Gladys comes across as humble and down to earth. There is not an egotistical bone in her body. I believe she's the most humble of all the divas. If you're going to accuse her of being crazy, at least have some sort of first hand evidence to back it up.

Maybe my friend does have evidence. I will have to ask him why he thinks the way he does. But you are wrong on one point, everybody has an ego. It's human nature. I don't think Gladys Knight could be in the business she is in if she didn't think she does something better than as or just as well someone else.

mowsville
01-10-2013, 12:37 PM
well said Roberta....i left this site once before because every single thread be it about Gladys,Smokey,Stevie etc etc always turns into a bitch fest about Diana or Mary...it gets really tiresome when you think a constructive thread about someone MOTOWN other than D&M and then it gets hijacked yet again...i tend to ignore the Supremes threads for this matter and i am a HUGE fan of theirs.

ralpht
01-10-2013, 12:44 PM
Mowsville,
Good to have you back again. As far as any bitch fests, I try and find them before things get out of hand, and delete them. It ain't always easy though..............

Roberta75
01-10-2013, 01:01 PM
well said Roberta....i left this site once before because every single thread be it about Gladys,Smokey,Stevie etc etc always turns into a bitch fest about Diana or Mary...it gets really tiresome when you think a constructive thread about someone MOTOWN other than D&M and then it gets hijacked yet again...i tend to ignore the Supremes threads for this matter and i am a HUGE fan of theirs.

I really like the Supremes a lot mowsville and that goes for Diane and Mary and Lynda and Cindy and Jean and Sherrie and Flo. My biggest motown love is is Dr Martha Reeves.

Please don't leave the site again mowsviile just continue to ignore Supremes threads and put trouble starting members on ignore trouble because they thrive on attention and by engaging them you giving them the attention they crave.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

captainjames
01-10-2013, 01:03 PM
I have met Ms. Knight a couple of times and she has always been nothing but sweet and kind in every aspect. In fact even when speaking of her peers she has nothing but kind words or nothing at all.

mowsville
01-10-2013, 04:20 PM
Thanks Ralph...i appreciate it must be hard to keep an eye on everything and i know you do your very best.....and Roberta Miss Martha is high up there on my list too...i had the very good pleasure of meeting her backstage many years ago and she was very gracious and signed the last publicity pic she had with her and gave it to me...its one of my Motown treasures :-)

Roberta75
01-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Thanks Ralph...i appreciate it must be hard to keep an eye on everything and i know you do your very best.....and Roberta Miss Martha is high up there on my list too...i had the very good pleasure of meeting her backstage many years ago and she was very gracious and signed the last publicity pic she had with her and gave it to me...its one of my Motown treasures :-)

Yes mowsville Dr martha Reeves is a class act and a legend. Her grace and beauty are rare and her down to earth manner is real refreshing in these days of tacky reality TV stars.

Best to you.

Roberta

milven
01-10-2013, 06:36 PM
Mowsville,
Good to have you back again. As far as any bitch fests, I try and find them before things get out of hand, and delete them. It ain't always easy though..............

It may not be easy because you knock off the person who reacts to the troublemaker, but keep the one who starts the trouble here. And that person turns every subject - including subjects about Gladys - into Diane vs Mary

milven
01-10-2013, 06:42 PM
I've talked to Gladys and Bubba a few times and found them both warm and friendly and loved their chemistry together. Of course I don't know how she is outside of the public eye, but I've never read anything nasty about her. As far as her good girl image on the road, she said in her book and also says in her act, that she had no choice back then since her big brother Bubba and her cousins were alway around her protecting her.

Motown Eddie
01-11-2013, 12:40 PM
I read Gladys Knight's autobiography a little while back [["Between Each Line of Pain and Glory"), and I found it interesting that she often refers to her "good girl" reputation growing up and among other musicians on the road. From her music, I never really thought of her that way - her songs [[not to mention her voice!) always sounded too mature and complex for me to think of her as the "good girl" type. Maybe more of a "classy professional" instead, and often downright seductive [["Help Me Make It Through the Night" and "If I Were Your Woman" anyone?).

What do you all think? I only started hearing her in the 80s [[I was born too late!) so maybe I missed the part of her career where she was marketed as a "good girl"...

I believe in the "good girl" reputation that Gladys Knight had back in the day. And remember, Gladys had to be "talked into" singing "If I Were Your Woman" by Berry Gordy because Gladys felt the song's lyrics were out of character for her [[and when "If I Were Your Woman" became a big hit, she continued with other songs with mature themes like "I Don't Want To Do Wrong" & "Help Me Make It Through The Night). And these songs also fit into what was going on in Soul Music back in the early '70s; more mature themes were entering the songs of that era. And I don't think it had any reflection on Gladys' reputation as a "good girl".

Kamasu_Jr
01-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Turns out, my dee jay friend is acquainted with two of Gladys Knight's ex -husbands, Barry Hankerson and Les Brown. All I gathered was that they shared some things with my friend about their relationships with her [[not at the same time). I didn't ask for further details. But I do remember reading the marriage and divorce with Hankerson was difficult or dirty back in the day and he supposedly said some things in a few interviews and threatened to reveal more, but didn't. But I think they've since patched things up and moved on and married other people.

Gladys Knight caught some criticism during the Jackson Family feud when Janet Jackson allegedly called niece Paris a spoiled "little b-tch." Paris reportedly told Aunt Janet to get the F-out of her grandmother's house. Gladys said on The Talk that if she had spoken that way to her mother, or any other adult, she wouldn't have had any teeth. Some people took it and ran with it saying Gladys said Janet Jackson should have knocked her niece's teeth out and that she advocated adults beating children. LOL

midnightman
01-11-2013, 06:59 PM

Roberta

Yep. This should remain a Gladys Knight thread first and foremost. As for her image, I'm sure she has a down side to her, most of them do. It wouldn't surprise me. Doesn't take anything away from her but yeah...

arrr&bee
01-12-2013, 05:16 PM
I've always had the greatest regard for gladys,it's to her credit if nothing scandelous has been said in over fifty years in the business,i too read her book awhile back and was surprised to learn that she had a gambling habit,gladys knight-a classy beautiful talented legend.

satipe
01-12-2013, 07:40 PM
Gladys and Bubba have always been very nice and down to earth people when we have met with them.

midnightman
01-12-2013, 07:46 PM
^^ What was that one game Gladys was hooked on? Pokeno, right?

Glad she got out of that myself.

supremester
01-12-2013, 09:44 PM
I love Gladys' voice and bought all of her Motown 45's starting with The Nitty Gritty. I Don't Want To Do Wrong is among my fave records ever. The fact that she can still knock it out of the park live is amazing to me. A good girl [[ back in Gladys' day) was one who was still a virgin until marriage. Gladys may have been called a good girl, but I doubt that she qualified. I don't find her a class act at all. She's always whining about Motown, wouldn't go to Motown 25 [["because it wasn't about the artist - it was all about Motown") Tell that to MJ ROTFLMAO. Anyway, her referring to Diana Ross as "Miss Cute" in her book, and making fun of The Supremes in her live act is loathsome to me. Considering the fact that if it wasn't for the revenue generated by Miss Cute's first 40 million units sold, Berry might not have even had the capital to sign and develop Gladys - maybe Grapevine would have gone to Martha, Kim, Cal or Wanda - forever changing Gladdy's future [[she met Jim Weatherly at Motown etc) Also, she brags incessantly during her show about awards and sales and honors to the point of distraction. Girlfriend still has the pipes though - amazing. Grapevine sounds EXACTLY as it did 46 years ago.

marv2
01-12-2013, 09:54 PM
Gladys Knight is one spectacular woman! She's always had my respect and admiration. She sings a good song too..........!