PDA

View Full Version : "Nightflight" Tue jan 8, 9P-12M ET: ...the genius of Joni Mitchell....

test

midnight johnny
01-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Hello All. I hope your new year is going smoothly. It has been a very long time...much too long...since I did a tribute show to a genius whose music most all of us grew up with...Joni Mitchell.
Whether we loved Joni for her personal interpretations of her compositions, or if we enjoyed
her songs that were covered by other artists that we loved, Joni, I'm almost certain, has had
an impact on most of us. So tonight, 3 hours of Joni...her music and a few interviews.
And...also... a tribute...a tribute much to small for what I felt for her...to the great Patti Page.
On "Nightflight....on WOMR 92.1 Fm Provincetown and WFMR 93.1 Fm Orleans and we are
streaming live worldwide in digital stereo at www.womr.org [[http://www.womr.org/)
Thanks!
John

Glenpwood
01-08-2013, 03:27 PM
Hi John,

Great choice for tribute this week and will be very educational. I will admit to being Green to most of the back catalog of Joni besides Blue and Court & Spark so looking forward to what deep cuts you've whipped up. I was always a Carly "Nipples Must Show On My LP Covers" Simon fan as a kid but I'm sure you will convert me over to team Mitchell.....;)

See everyone tonight!

sophisticated_soul
01-08-2013, 05:15 PM
I was always more of a Judy "My Eyes Must Be Accentuated On My LP Covers" Collins fan, but always had room for Joni. "Ladies of the Canyon" and "Blue" are classics with almost every cut being exceptional, especially "The Circle Game" and "Blue Boy" from "Ladies of the Canyon" and "The Last Time I Saw Richard" from "Blue" [[hint, hint, hint). See you [[and all) on the Radiola for a little court and spark in a bed of for the roses with Joni.;)

Methuselah2
01-08-2013, 05:29 PM
Genius, you say? As in GENIUS 1? GENIUS 2? Nickolas Ashford and Valerie Simpson? I'm there!

Oh, wait a minute, wait a minute. Am I missing something? Oh, you mean Joni Mitchell. Well, well, well, that's very different. But genius is genius. I guess. I'll give it a shot. I'm a die-hard NIGHTFLIGHT buff. I'll turn it on. I'll tune in. I'll listen. I'll pay attention. I'll hear it through. I'll stick it out. Joni and some sadly recently late but always great Patti Page. I'm there! I wouldn't want to miss anything. And I sure wouldn't want to miss NIGHTFLIGHT.

I keep up on what's going on. I get around. I cover the waterfront.

R. Mark Desjardins
01-08-2013, 05:49 PM
If there was ever any doubt to Joni Mitchell's vocal versatility, check out her interpretation of the Marvin Gaye classic, "Trouble Man" on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S8SgNy11eI

MotownSteve
01-08-2013, 06:32 PM
If there was ever any doubt to Joni Mitchell's vocal versatility, check out her interpretation of the Marvin Gaye classic, "Trouble Man" on youtube.

R.Mark, you are absolutely right about that video. Excellent

midnight johnny
01-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Hi John,

Great choice for tribute this week and will be very educational. I will admit to being Green to most of the back catalog of Joni besides Blue and Court & Spark so looking forward to what deep cuts you've whipped up. I was always a Carly "Nipples Must Show On My LP Covers" Simon fan as a kid but I'm sure you will convert me over to team Mitchell.....;)

See everyone tonight!

Glen...hey there. Goodness....with Joni there is so much music...so many transitions she went through...
not drastic changes, but real growth and development....and never straying from her remarkable chord usage,
her amazing guitar and piano talents, and her painting with words and music to tell her stories. In one of the interviews, she talks of her marked change in vocal register...from high pitched soprano to very resonant alto...which admittedly was due to her nicotine addiction.
You crack me up...Carly "Nipples Must show...."......mannnnnnnnn!
I appreciate your listening tonight and allowing me to share some of my favorites of Joni's that you
may not be familiar with.

midnight johnny
01-08-2013, 07:07 PM
I was always more of a Judy "My Eyes Must Be Accentuated On My LP Covers" Collins fan, but always had room for Joni. "Ladies of the Canyon" and "Blue" are classics with almost every cut being exceptional, especially "The Circle Game" and "Blue Boy" from "Ladies of the Canyon" and "The Last Time I Saw Richard" from "Blue" [[hint, hint, hint). See you [[and all) on the Radiola for a little court and spark in a bed a roses with Joni.;)

Joseph....hahahah....Judy "My Eyes Must Be Accentuated...."....great one there! And...of COURSE I can
take a hint...or 2...or 3. See you on the Radiola, my friend!

midnight johnny
01-08-2013, 07:08 PM
Genius, you say? As in GENIUS 1? GENIUS 2? Nickolas Ashford and Valerie Simpson? I'm there!

Oh, wait a minute, wait a minute. Am I missing something? Oh, you mean Joni Mitchell. Well, well, well, that's very different. But genius is genius. I guess. I'll give it a shot. I'm a die-hard NIGHTFLIGHT buff. I'll turn it on. I'll tune in. I'll listen. I'll pay attention. I'll hear it through. I'll stick it out. Joni and some sadly recently late but always great Patti Page. I'm there! I wouldn't want to miss anything. And I sure wouldn't want to miss NIGHTFLIGHT.

I keep up on what's going on. I get around. I cover the waterfront.

Bruce....I hope you enjoy the show...

midnight johnny
01-08-2013, 07:09 PM

Hey there, Mark!!!!

midnight johnny
01-08-2013, 07:10 PM
R.Mark, you are absolutely right about that video. Excellent

Good evening, Steve!!

midnight johnny
01-08-2013, 07:33 PM
This song... "2 Grey Rooms"...is probably my favorite Joni song. I happened to find an alternate video of it that I had never seen before. Hope you enjoy it....

http://youtu.be/DjDi_plwi5A

sophisticated_soul
01-08-2013, 07:54 PM
^Very nice, John. Thanks:)

Methuselah2
01-08-2013, 08:14 PM
That song, as well as its video, are both very sapid. I'm expecting more of the same this evening. That's probably a very safe bet, I bet.

midnight johnny
01-08-2013, 09:42 PM
....in the studio....for Joni!!!!

midnight johnny
01-08-2013, 09:43 PM
...do join me in a peppermint hot chocolate....

sophisticated_soul
01-08-2013, 09:47 PM
...do join me in a peppermint hot chocolate....

Mmmmmm smells good!:)

midnight johnny
01-08-2013, 09:48 PM
Mmmmmm smells good!:)

....come taste......it's even better....

sophisticated_soul
01-08-2013, 09:58 PM
....come taste......it's even better....

I think it would get cold by the time I travel the 2,627.9 miles [[as the crow flies). :)

MotownSteve
01-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Nice Patti Page song.

midnight johnny
01-08-2013, 10:10 PM
Nice Patti Page song.

....the best.....

MotownLover
01-08-2013, 10:16 PM
Howdy there! Looking forward to the show tonight.

:cool:

Howard in Long Beach, CA

sophisticated_soul
01-08-2013, 10:18 PM
Hey Howard, good to see you!:cool:

midnight johnny
01-08-2013, 10:23 PM
Howdy there! Looking forward to the show tonight.

:cool:

Howard in Long Beach, CA

Howard....welcome...very glad to see you....did you happen to get my SDF private email?

sophisticated_soul
01-08-2013, 10:30 PM
"Richard" is one of Joni's best. Thanks John:cool:

MotownLover
01-08-2013, 10:33 PM
John...yes, I just read it and responded privately to you.

Thanks much for your kind words.

Glenpwood
01-08-2013, 10:40 PM
Just arrived and tuned in to the Joni interview.... Hate that I missed the Patti Page tribute..... Hope everyone is well....

midnight johnny
01-08-2013, 10:42 PM
"Richard" is one of Joni's best. Thanks John:cool:

My pleasure, my friend....

midnight johnny
01-08-2013, 10:44 PM
John...yes, I just read it and responded privately to you.

Thanks much for your kind words.
....glad you're here.....

midnight johnny
01-08-2013, 10:45 PM
Just arrived and tuned in to the Joni interview.... Hate that I missed the Patti Page tribute..... Hope everyone is well....

Hello, Glen......welcome...

texassoul
01-08-2013, 11:18 PM
Hi John. Just popped in to wish you all the best in 2013. I hope it's a prosperous and fulfilling year for you. See you on your next show. Take care.

Mike Wheeler
Houston, Texas

midnight johnny
01-08-2013, 11:21 PM
Hi John. Just popped in to wish you all the best in 2013. I hope it's a prosperous and fulfilling year for you. See you on your next show. Take care.

Mike Wheeler
Houston, Texas

Mike....thank you!!! Good to see you...sorry you can't stay......a wonderful New Year to you too....see you next week!!!! Extended versions....it's been too long!!! Take care, Mike!!!

patty tomato
01-08-2013, 11:25 PM
Happy new year everybody!!!

texassoul
01-08-2013, 11:27 PM
Mike....thank you!!! Good to see you...sorry you can't stay......a wonderful New Year to you too....see you next week!!!! Extended versions....it's been too long!!! Take care, Mike!!!

Extended versions!!! Pleez, pleez, pleez [[I sound like JB!) play "It's A Good Feeling". ;o))

midnight johnny
01-08-2013, 11:28 PM

Welcome Patty!!!! A very Happy New Year to you, my favorite vegetable!!!

midnight johnny
01-08-2013, 11:29 PM
Extended versions!!! Pleez, pleez, pleez [[I sound like JB!) play "It's A Good Feeling". ;o))

Will do, Mike!!!

sophisticated_soul
01-08-2013, 11:34 PM

Happy New Year Patty, Tony is with his family tonight so he can't be here.

midnight johnny
01-08-2013, 11:38 PM
Happy New Year Patty, Tony is with his family tonight so he can't be here.

Thanks, Joseph....we miss him.

midnight johnny
01-08-2013, 11:55 PM
Hey Joseph...should i make the announcement?

midnight johnny
01-09-2013, 12:01 AM
Hey Joseph...should i make the announcement?

Too late [[*smile)!!!

sophisticated_soul
01-09-2013, 12:01 AM
Thank you for announcing "Etta 75" John! I am putting the finishing touches on it now and will have it in the mail to you within the next few days. The air date January 22nd will be shortly after the year mark of her home going and a few days before what would have been her 75th birthday, hence the title Etta 75. Hope you all will tune in!:cool:

Glenpwood
01-09-2013, 12:05 AM
Loving the lineup tonight and perfect use if Miss Terrells sublime version of All I Want

midnight johnny
01-09-2013, 12:07 AM
Loving the lineup tonight and perfect use if Miss Terrells sublime version of All I Want

Thanks Glen....I always have loved that [[with jean)!

midnight johnny
01-09-2013, 12:15 AM
Joseph...thanks...I caught it! Phew!

MotownSteve
01-09-2013, 12:26 AM
Hi John,
Another great show. I'm fading so good night.

midnight johnny
01-09-2013, 12:28 AM
Hi John,
Another great show. I'm fading so good night.

Thanks Steve....nitey night!!!!

sophisticated_soul
01-09-2013, 12:31 AM
Joseph...thanks...I caught it! Phew!

No problem, I would not want to have been responsible for the FCC knocking on your door!;)

midnight johnny
01-09-2013, 12:34 AM
No problem, I would not want to have been responsible for the FCC knocking on your door!;)

.......................[[*grin)

midnight johnny
01-09-2013, 12:35 AM
Thanks to you all for let me pay tribute to Joni!!! Have a great week! Next week...extended versions...then Joseph's "Etta Tribute" ....yeaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

Methuselah2
01-09-2013, 12:38 AM
Enjoying tonight's show, John, very much.
And Joseph, I'm looking forward to your upcoming Etta one.
Etta doesn't have a cover of THIS TIME, BABY by any chance, does she? [[Chuckle. Chuckle.)

P.S. Hey ol' gang of mine - Sorry to report McDonald's has discontinued their MISS ROSS UNHAPPY MEAL.

sophisticated_soul
01-09-2013, 01:04 AM
Great show John, each time you do a Joni Mitchell show you bring something new to it. The interviews were excellent, very informative. Wonderful job, thank you! Thanks one and all. See you next time.:cool:

midnight johnny
01-09-2013, 06:46 PM
Enjoying tonight's show, John, very much.
And Joseph, I'm looking forward to your upcoming Etta one.
Etta doesn't have a cover of THIS TIME, BABY by any chance, does she? [[Chuckle. Chuckle.)

P.S. Hey ol' gang of mine - Sorry to report McDonald's has discontinued their MISS ROSS UNHAPPY MEAL.

I'm truly glad you enjoyed it, Bruce...thanks so much!!!

midnight johnny
01-09-2013, 06:47 PM
Great show John, each time you do a Joni Mitchell show you bring something new to it. The interviews were excellent, very informative. Wonderful job, thank you! Thanks one and all. See you next time.:cool:

Joseph...thank you so very much!!!