PDA

View Full Version : DAVID GEST Spectacular cancelled

test

theboyfromxtown
01-07-2013, 12:38 PM
DAVID GEST'S LEGENDS OF SOUL SPECTACULAR at Islington Assembly Hall on Fri 8th Feb, 6:30PM has been cancelled due to filming commitments. You purchased 2 tickets.

You will be refunded the full price you paid for your tickets. Please allow up to 10 working days for the refund to reach your account.

Kind regards,

Islington Assembly Hall

theboyfromxtown
01-07-2013, 12:39 PM
What a shame. I was really looking forward to it.

MIKEW-UK
01-07-2013, 01:16 PM
It is a real shame as David Gest has promoted a number of these spectaculars over the years and they have been incredibly good value. I appreciate what he has done in brininging over so many great artists.
In truth, I have never understood how they can be financially viable given the immense line up, the flights, hotels, expenses, production, musicians etc etc.... I guess that's why he is a promoter and I'm not. :[[

Look at the line up........ and they normally only get to sing two songs, three at most.....

just noticed there are now Butlin's dates.....

luke
01-07-2013, 01:28 PM
Isnt Sheila Ferguson a big draw in UK?

MIKEW-UK
01-07-2013, 02:20 PM
Isnt Sheila Ferguson a big draw in UK?

Luke,

I don't think so. Of all the acts on the line up above, she is to my mind the most 'show-biz'. She has very little public profile these days, and quite honestly I don't believe the soul folks would be that interested. I don't know who her audience is, perhaps the occasional dinner club or variety show/ theatre production. I see her as more a MOR supper club act, and there are few of theses places in existence these days. She has had a very successful appearance in panto over the holidays, as she does every year very successfully. She makes a nice living I am sure, and gets good reviews for her vocal power.

cheers, Mike

Roberta75
01-07-2013, 02:27 PM
Well IMO The First Lady of Motown Records Dr. Martha Reeves is the biggest star on the bill. Does this mean the entire tour gets canceled or just one date?

Roberta

zani57
01-07-2013, 03:17 PM
OK, is it just me, or isn't it odd that the person in the poster is Mr. EX-Liza Minnelli [[David Gest) and NOT someone like Martha Reeves? It seems as if he is trying to promote himself as much or more as the great artists who were supposed to be on the bill.

MIKEW-UK
01-07-2013, 04:27 PM
OK, is it just me, or isn't it odd that the person in the poster is Mr. EX-Liza Minnelli [[David Gest) and NOT someone like Martha Reeves? It seems as if he is trying to promote himself as much or more as the great artists who were supposed to be on the bill.

David Gest won a UK TV reality show "I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here" 6 years ago. He went from an oddity known for his marriage to Liza Minelli to [[his words)"national hero of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales". Since that time he has made a number of appearances in all sorts of guises, portraying himself as [[his words)"a multimillionaire American showbiz impresario who has raised millions upon millions of dollars for various charities. He has appeared on the covers of magazines and newspapers throughout the world."

Yep, he is right at the front of the queue in self promotion, and uses each and every angle to court self-publicity. However, the truth is, sadly, that he is better known in the UK than any of the artists appearing on his shows. Yep, even more than Lamont Dozier!!!!!!!!!! Sad, but on the other hand, he is the man who puts up the money and takes all the risk, and there is but no-one in the UK who would consider bringing a line up even a quarter of what he is funding to appear in the UK. I don't know how he makes the numbers work, but that's why he is a multi millionaire, and I'm still trying to figure out the concept. :D

jsmith
01-07-2013, 04:34 PM
Other gigs in Liverpool & Barrow [[in Furness) still being advertised.

smark21
01-07-2013, 09:09 PM
What in the world did David Gest do to his face? Either too much surgery or too much photoshop. That’s a horrible picture of him.

Sheila Ferguson and 3 Degrees songs are certainly a better fit for this show than the music of the late Jane Russell, the 40s and 50s movie star that Gest used to put on his “spectaculars”.

zani57
01-07-2013, 09:46 PM
What in the world did David Gest do to his face? Either too much surgery or too much photoshop. That’s a horrible picture of him.

Sheila Ferguson and 3 Degrees songs are certainly a better fit for this show than the music of the late Jane Russell, the 40s and 50s movie star that Gest used to put on his “spectaculars”.

And you don't think his face already didn't look pulled, nipped and tucked here?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-FzBJQ_vAFzo/Ti6qP0o_gdI/AAAAAAAAFWM/jt0Xokcb6fc/s1600/3k83m53p25Z55T55P2b6hea7d388b83aa1ead.jpg

luke
01-07-2013, 11:40 PM
Thanks Mike for info. I guess I assumed she was as the Three Degrees so popular. Was Percy top billed as he is biggest draw? Surprising.

jobeterob
01-08-2013, 01:50 AM
Well he does look like a freak show but for old time soul music fans, it's quite a line up. I suppose this is a bit of a hard sell anywhere these days.

calvin
01-08-2013, 06:34 PM

David Gest had multiple plastic surgeries in the 1980s, done by Michael Jackson's surgeon, but he regretted it later. As with Michael, I find it sad that he felt he needed to do that.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/david-gest-my-story---part-466937

Roberta75
01-08-2013, 07:02 PM
David Gest had multiple plastic surgeries in the 1980s, done by Michael Jackson's surgeon, but he regretted it later. As with Michael, I find it sad that he felt he needed to do that.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/david-gest-my-story---part-466937

Was David Gest and michael jackson just friends or more than friends if you know what i mean. Im assuming that Mr Gest is a homosexual gentleman am I right?

Roberta

calvin
01-08-2013, 07:46 PM
Was David Gest and michael jackson just friends or more than friends if you know what i mean. Im assuming that Mr Gest is a homosexual gentleman am I right?

Well he says he's straight in that article:

"I am straight. Bring me one man who I have ever been with because there are none.
Can I say, once and for all, that I never had a Judy Garland tribute room in my house - I've only seen two of her films.
I've never felt the need to prove my sexuality. What am I supposed to do, go around telling everyone I'm straight?
Besides, those rumours were put to rest when I went in the jungle. Everyone saw that I was a real man."

But I don't believe all of that... he's only seen two Judy Garland films? C'mon! The Wizard of Oz, Babes in Arms, Meet Me in St Louis, Easter Parade, A Star is Born, Judgement at Nuremberg, The Pirate, Summer Stock... I could go on... ;-)

Roberta75
01-08-2013, 08:13 PM

"I am straight. Bring me one man who I have ever been with because there are none.
Can I say, once and for all, that I never had a Judy Garland tribute room in my house - I've only seen two of her films.
I've never felt the need to prove my sexuality. What am I supposed to do, go around telling everyone I'm straight?
Besides, those rumours were put to rest when I went in the jungle. Everyone saw that I was a real man."

But I don't believe all of that... he's only seen two Judy Garland films? C'mon! The Wizard of Oz, Babes in Arms, Meet Me in St Louis, Easter Parade, A Star is Born, Judgement at Nuremberg, The Pirate, Summer Stock... I could go on... ;-)

LOL calvin.

I am a straight woman but have many gay men friends and some real good lesbian lady friends and i have a real hard time believing that Mr david Gest is straight. I also have a hard time believing that michael Jackson was straight but that just my personal opinion.

Roberta

smark21
01-08-2013, 09:03 PM

So what did he do in the jungle to prove he was a "real man" and could put the rumors to rest about his sexual orientation? Did he have sex with a woman on camera?