PDA

View Full Version : "I'm Ready For Love" a Vandellas gem

test

franjoy56
01-07-2013, 12:05 AM
Happy New Year everybody. Does anyone know if there is a tv show
that Martha and The Vandellas performed "I'm Ready for Love" that is a fabulous track that deserve noteworthy praise. I know the Andantes are on the backing but so are the Vandellas I hear Rosalyn's voice.

nathanj06
01-07-2013, 10:00 AM
What a great song. Martha Reeves was another one with a very distinct voice. Have never seen a video from back then though.

floyjoy678
01-07-2013, 12:25 PM
I've never seen it but apparently they performed the song on "Swingin Time" and "Where the Action Is" in 1966. And I think this one is just the Andantes.

Kamasu_Jr
01-08-2013, 09:37 AM
I've never seen it but apparently they performed the song on "Swingin Time" and "Where the Action Is" in 1966. And I think this one is just the Andantes.

Martha & the Vandellas were on Swingin' Time a lot. But the footage is no longer around. I do have a Swingin' Time show with Martha and the girls from March, 1967.

reese
01-08-2013, 10:23 AM
I think the girls performed I'M READY FOR LOVE on AMERICAN BANDSTAND back in the day.

I don't have it in front of me, but there is a book that has a log of AB appearances, and I believe this song is included. I definitely remember seeing JIMMY MACK and WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WITHOUT YOUR LOVE in the log.

franjoy56
01-08-2013, 10:06 PM

I read on wikipedia where it says the Vandellas are assisted by the Andantes who sing the high parts and the Vandellas sing the low parts
"ready for love" ready for love" I know the Vandellas were there because I recognize Rosalyn's voice from the earlier tracks.

Methuselah2
01-09-2013, 01:22 AM
Franjoy - I think you'll really enjoy this: A newly posted remix of I'M READY FOR LOVE. I think it's sensational--has such verve and snap, it's like hearing a live performance. It has all the magic of one. You'll hear what I mean. Just spotted it on YouTube. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1EF1k6pa2A

franjoy56
01-13-2013, 12:26 AM
Franjoy - I think you'll really enjoy this: A newly posted remix of I'M READY FOR LOVE. I think it's sensational--has such verve and snap, it's like hearing a live performance. It has all the magic of one. You'll hear what I mean. Just spotted it on YouTube. Enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1EF1k6pa2A

Thanks for posting this extended track, I never heard it and it was a pleasure listening to it, that song is just wonderful. I heard a version with just the backgrounds a few years ago, in fact the whole album
"Watchout" was one of their best studio albums in fact it sold better than any other Vandellas album except Martha and The vandellas Greatest Hits.

masterblaster
01-21-2013, 11:20 AM
Just noticed that the Temptations sing "I'm Ready For Love" on their "In A Mellow Mood " album. Is this the same song as the Vandellas?

MotownSteve
01-21-2013, 11:45 AM
Just noticed that the Temptations sing "I'm Ready For Love" on their "In A Mellow Mood " album. Is this the same song as the Vandellas?

It is the same song. The real question might be why was it put on that album.

Kamasu_Jr
01-21-2013, 11:46 AM

Yes it is the same song, but with a jazz or big band arrangement.

masterblaster
01-21-2013, 12:24 PM
yes it is the same song.

Thanks for that, surprised that this would appear on a standards album. This is one of the only Tempts albums I havn't heard so will have to buy it and listen.

MotownSteve
01-21-2013, 02:56 PM
Thanks for that, surprised that this would appear on a standards album. This is one of the only Tempts albums I havn't heard so will have to buy it and listen.
It's actually one of my favorite Tempts album. Very worthwhile having.

smark21
01-21-2013, 09:12 PM
Here's the Temptations version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhJ1v1C8ugI

smark21
01-21-2013, 09:13 PM
And Pointer Sisters version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNWB-uZ6UiQ

marv2
01-21-2013, 11:43 PM
Here's Martha doing a great live version of the song in the 80's. Martha rocks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh1ZSi9ngTk

StuBass1
01-22-2013, 12:25 AM
I understand the track for IRFL was cut in Los Angeles. I can tell you just by listening to it that it definitely was NOT Jamerson on bass. And the drum fills sound like Hal Blaine.

144man
01-22-2013, 08:35 AM
Paul Weller borrowed the riff for the Jam's "Town Called Malice".

westgrandboulevard
01-22-2013, 12:35 PM
I'd agree with stubass1 that 'I'm Ready For Love' has a band track which was not recorded with the Funk Brothers.

As with Barbara Randolph's 'I Got A Feeling' - it's very good indeed, but the bass, drums and brass aren't quite as crisp and resonant as the authentic Hitsville studio sound.

antceleb12
01-23-2013, 10:50 PM
If I'm not mistaken, they did this live at their 1968 Copa engagement. I really hope they release it one day.

franjoy56
01-23-2013, 11:04 PM
smark what album is this track on from the pointer sisters it sounds closer to the vandellas version than the temptations version which has a very jazzy sound. i like this version better

Methuselah2
01-24-2013, 12:02 AM
Franjoy - Like you, I, too, am a big fan of the Vandellas' WATCHOUT! album. Not to get off point of your I'M READY FOR LOVE thread, there are 2 more extended remixes of other tracks from that album by the same person who did the READY one that I posted here earlier. They're both terrific and I think you will really enjoy them. Something about this person's remixes just grab me and don't let go. And I think it's that, first and foremost, the integrity of the original recordings is always maintained and that the focus of these remixes is on all the elements that went into making the originals so special and lasting. And so, they're loving tributes to the writers, producers, artists, and musicians who made it all happen. Their effect on me heightens my admiration, as well. And they add a unique kick of their own because they feel as if they have the newness of a live recording and that I'm hearing something very familiar but for the first time once again. It's truly uncanny. The overwhelming love and sense of importance of acknowledgement for the originals that this remixer seems to have and most certainly shows simply adds just another facet to the beauty that was always there. See what you think:

JIMMY MACK:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7SynlnRBIc

NO MORE TEARSTAINED MAKE UP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6k0lNL6K4E

motownlover1964
01-24-2013, 03:46 PM
June Pointer released a solo album "Baby Sister" in the early 80s. Her sisters, Ruth and Anita, backed her up on "I'm Ready for Love." I recently purchased the CD and it's really good. June also does a cover of "Don't Mess with Bill" and I believe her sisters backed her up on that song, too.

smark21
01-24-2013, 09:05 PM
June Pointer released a solo album "Baby Sister" in the early 80s. Her sisters, Ruth and Anita, backed her up on "I'm Ready for Love." I recently purchased the CD and it's really good. June also does a cover of "Don't Mess with Bill" and I believe her sisters backed her up on that song, too.

Thanks for the info on The Pointer Sisters version. Was this produced by Richard Perry? I thought maybe it was a song that was ultimately left off the Break Out album, going by the picture on the youtube video and the fact their version of “I’m Ready for Love” sounds somewhat similar to “I’m So Excited”.

smark21
01-24-2013, 09:06 PM
I don’t care much for The Temptations’ version. The vocals are fine, as always. But the arrangement is too cheesy Vegas for my taste.

motownlover1964
01-25-2013, 02:26 PM
Yes, Richard Perry produced the LP.

Kamasu_Jr
01-26-2013, 09:08 AM
Happy New Year everybody. Does anyone know if there is a tv show
that Martha and The Vandellas performed "I'm Ready for Love" that is a fabulous track that deserve noteworthy praise. I know the Andantes are on the backing but so are the Vandellas I hear Rosalyn's voice.

Back to Franjoy's original question about Martha & The Vandellas and I'm Ready For Love. I did find and finally look at some video footage of Martha & the Vandellas performing this song on Swingin' Time. It's a Swingin' Time show from early 1966...Martha & the Vandellas were appearing at the 20 Grand [[RECORDING their LIVE album possibly?) and promoting Jimmy Mack, which had just been released; They performed it, My Baby Loves Me and I'm Ready for Love. Three entire songs. The footage is not in the greatest shape, but it was clear and detailed enough for me to see what was going on.