PDA

View Full Version : The Original Supremes Hullaballo compilation

test

luke
01-06-2013, 07:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFJgSx5rcJE Never seen Flo looking more effervescent, Mary stunning and Diana being charismatic and part of the group-wonderful!!

westgrandboulevard
01-06-2013, 08:11 PM
Oh yes Luke...

Now that's what I call 'SUPREMES!'.

Still love those swift little turns by Mary & Florence on ' Back in My Arms Again' - which, together with the dipped heads, always reminded me of The Vandellas....

Great to see it....thanks for posting :D

Methuselah2
01-06-2013, 08:50 PM
I love that Supremes turn in BACK IN MY ARMS AGAIN as they shimmy down with their hands fluttering, too. Has anyone else ever looked as good and worked a spaghetti-strapped gown as wonderfully as The Supremes? I don't think so. Thanks so much for posting this, Luke. I could never forget that terrific soulful soft-shoe that they do for the ARMS intro. Just beautiful.

Someday, I hope their Hullabaloo performance of COME SEE ABOUT ME resurfaces on YouTube. What always struck me about that routine was that Flo and Mary did the clasped hands on thigh-to-thigh move that they later re-used for NOTHING BUT HEARTACHES, also as performed on Hullabaloo. A good move never wears out.

Kamasu_Jr
01-06-2013, 08:56 PM
I love that Supremes turn in BACK IN MY ARMS AGAIN as they shimmy down with their hands fluttering, too. Has anyone else ever looked as good and worked a spaghetti-strapped gown as wonderfully as The Supremes? I don't think so. Thanks so much for posting this, Luke. I could never forget that terrific soulful soft-shoe that they do for the ARMS intro. Just beautiful.

Someday, I hope their Hullabaloo performance of COME SEE ABOUT ME resurfaces on YouTube. What always struck me about that routine was that Flo and Mary did the clasped hands on thigh-to-thigh move that they later re-used for NOTHING BUT HEARTACHES, also as performed on Hullabaloo. A good move never wears out.

I watch some things on YouTube. But I know a great DVD & Video seller who has a lot of this stuff for sale. I just watched that particular Hullabaloo performance a few days ago. Shirley Ellis was on that show too. That was 49 years ago.
Sometimes I'll watch things on You Tune and ask the seller if he has them. I saw Martha & the Vandellas performing Jimmy Mack on YouTube, a performance which I had never seen before. My seller had it. Now I own it too.

stephanie
01-06-2013, 09:10 PM
Perfection! Just think the kids were wowing over Your Nobody Til Somebody loves you a song that is a Vegas staple.

Methuselah2
01-06-2013, 09:12 PM
Kamasu - Here's a great JIMMY MACK performance you might like in case you've never seen it. It's a real favorite of mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYZ842gZ_ik

Kamasu_Jr
01-06-2013, 09:20 PM
Kamasu - Here's a great JIMMY MACK performance you might like in case you've never seen it. It's a real favorite of mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYZ842gZ_ik

Coincidence. That's the one I was talking about and I posted a thread about it. I have seen numerous videos of Dancing In the Street, Heatwave and Nowhere to Run, etc. But for a while, there was no footage of Jimmy Mack. By the way, when will UMe do a second volume of Motown on DVD? They could license this and some footage of Mary Wells and put out a second volume?

BigAl
01-07-2013, 11:24 AM
While I had been very fond of the Supremes before, it was this Hullaballoo appearance that pushed me over the edge into being a full-fledged fan. I had never seen them looking so slick, so confident, and the performances of "Back in My Arms Again" and "You're Nobody 'til Somebody Loves You" still stand up today.

luke
01-07-2013, 11:31 AM
I like how they all look at each other during Youre Nobody til...Cant believe how electric their performance is on that Vegas song!

theboyfromxtown
01-07-2013, 12:41 PM
Coincidence. That's the one I was talking about and I posted a thread about it. I have seen numerous videos of Dancing In the Street, Heatwave and Nowhere to Run, etc. But for a while, there was no footage of Jimmy Mack. By the way, when will UMe do a second volume of Motown on DVD? They could license this and some footage of Mary Wells and put out a second volume?

There's some great footage from that Swinging Time show too..the Velvelettes, Elgins, Jimmy Ruffin and others

Kamasu_Jr
01-08-2013, 09:33 AM
There's some great footage from that Swinging Time show too..the Velvelettes, Elgins, Jimmy Ruffin and others

I've seen some of the Swingin' Time footage, John. My dad was on the show at least three times as a teenager. I've seen the Velvelettes doing Needle In A Haystack...doo lang, doo lang. :)

R. Mark Desjardins
01-08-2013, 08:49 PM
Luke, thank you so much for bringing this rockin' Supremes video compilation to my attention. Surely I am not the only person on this site to discover with delight that British male duo, Peter & Gordon appeared in the medley as well. Peter Asher would go to produce Diana Ross' "The Force Behind the Power," and "I Love You" album projects. As well The Supremes covered "World Without Love," on their Brit Covers record. Talk about networking!

Koach
01-09-2013, 09:00 PM
Does anyone know if the clip of them doing A Lover's Concerto in a medley with other groups on Hullabaloo is available? I saw it on Youtube back in late 2006/early 2007.

Kamasu_Jr
01-09-2013, 09:54 PM
Does anyone know if the clip of them doing A Lover's Concerto in a medley with other groups on Hullabaloo is available? I saw it on Youtube back in late 2006/early 2007.

I'm sure some video dealer has that particular episode. I think it was the Hullabaloo show hosted by Frankie Avalon. Those shows are still available- you've just gotta know where to find them.

reese
01-09-2013, 10:01 PM

It wasn't on the HULLABALOO set released a while back. But I'm sure it is making the rounds via dealers, as Kamasu said.

Also, the episode where they sang LOVER'S CONCERTO was hosted by Paul Anka. They sang I HEAR A SYMPHONY on the same episode.

Kamasu_Jr
01-10-2013, 12:42 AM
Frankie Avalon, Paul Anka...All those former teen idols look alike to me.