PDA

View Full Version : Yvonne Fair - It Should Have Been Me

test

marv2
01-05-2013, 07:21 PM
Here's a nice little memory from one of Motown's truly unsung ladies. Ms Yvonne Fair and her version of "It Should Have Been Me":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCU0h8iR_Dw

thommg
01-05-2013, 08:20 PM
Here's a nice little memory from one of Motown's truly unsung ladies. Ms Yvonne Fair and her version of "It Should Have Been Me":

This is truly the definitive version of this song. When was this video done? It looks like much later than when she recorded the song.

144man
01-05-2013, 08:43 PM
Gladys Knight & the Pips' version had missed out completely in the UK, so Yvonne Fair's hit was an unexpected and welcome bonus, reaching as high as Number 5 nationally.

marv2
01-06-2013, 01:52 AM
Gladys Knight & the Pips' version had missed out completely in the UK, so Yvonne Fair's hit was an unexpected and welcome bonus, reaching as high as Number 5 nationally.

Interestingly, it was Gladys Knight and the Pips version that became best known in the U.S. I like them both however.

honest man
01-06-2013, 06:56 AM
Love all the 3 versions the original by Kim Weston[with DRATS background] also Gladys great version,but Yvonne's version is mind blowing,3 exceptional songs all given different renditions, though excellent in their own right, cheers.

BigAl
01-06-2013, 09:37 AM
Oh my...what a sloppy video for such a phenomenal song!

westgrandboulevard
01-06-2013, 12:01 PM
Yes, but I'd say Yvonne is great.

I'm just wondering whatever she saw in him, in the first place..LOL

Still love the line before the fade : "Somebody call the police, that woman down there is a doggone thief..":)

Thanks to marv for posting it.

splanky
01-06-2013, 01:00 PM
Oh my...what a sloppy video for such a phenomenal song!

That's because it's not really a video for Yvonne's performance of the song. She had appeared in a guest cameo on the British comedy show The Vicar of Dibley that aired in 2006 according to what I've found out, after she had long passed. She
still had so much power in her voice that I can overlook the instrumentation whic really
wasn't killing me, except for the lovely strings. I can't stop thinking about how so many
unique female voices passed through James Brown's organisation ...Most like Yvonne
no longer with us....

westgrandboulevard
01-06-2013, 01:51 PM
I might be wrong here, but I seem to remember that it was Yvonne's recording only, which was played for dramatic and comedic effect during a scene from BBC 'The Vicar of Dibley'.

At the end of the clip shown in this thread, there is footage of a motorcycle, and then Stephen Fry's voice is heard.

Could this clip have featured in a programme of his, perhaps if he visited the US?

splanky
01-06-2013, 02:57 PM
No, westgrand, you're probably right...Maybe one of our UK members who know for sure
will chime in and clear this up....

westgrandboulevard
01-06-2013, 03:29 PM
splanky

I'm actually a UK member myself and, since the last post,have googled, and must say it does appear I was reporting correctly.

This might sound foolish, but that definitely IS Yvonne in the clip, isn't it???

I'm not totally sure of how Yvonne looked [[saw her briefly in 'Lady Sings The Blues') but it certainly seems it must be her.

Is it possible that it was indeed made in 1976 , in US- and hurriedly - to promote the UK success of 'It Should Have Been Me' - ??

I'm wondering if it was a clip originally made for inclusion on BBC 'Top Of The Pops' to promote the single.

If that were so, it may possibly have remained in the BBC library, or was available for more recent use.

I note that BBC did in fact have a six-part series in 2008 called ' Stephen Fry in America'.

Although, for whatever reason, I don't feel I've ever viewed it, I'd put good money on this clip being taken from that series.....but I'm prepared to lose my stake! LOL

I bet theboyfromxtown knows, but is holding out for a lot more posts on the subject, before he swoops in and deals with it - and in a lot less words than mine... LOLOL

marv2
01-06-2013, 03:42 PM
splanky

I'm actually a UK member myself and, since the last post,have googled, and must say it does appear I was reporting correctly.

This might sound foolish, but that definitely IS Yvonne in the clip, isn't it???

I'm not totally sure of how Yvonne looked [[saw her briefly in 'Lady Sings The Blues') but it certainly seems it must be her.

Is it possible that it was indeed made in 1976 , in US- and hurriedly - to promote the UK success of 'It Should Have Been Me' - ??

I'm wondering if it was a clip originally made for inclusion on BBC 'Top Of The Pops' to promote the single.

If that were so, it may possibly have remained in the BBC library, or was available for more recent use.

I note that BBC did in fact have a six-part series in 2008 called ' Stephen Fry in America'.

Although, for whatever reason, I don't feel I've ever viewed it, I'd put good money on this clip being taken from that series.....but I'm prepared to lose my stake! LOL

I bet theboyfromxtown knows, but is holding out for a lot more posts on the subject, before he swoops in and deals with it - and in a lot less words than mine... LOLOL

Westgrandboulevard, yes that is definitely Yvonne Fair in the clip. Sadly, she passed away in 1994.

westgrandboulevard
01-06-2013, 03:55 PM
Thanks for that Marv, as I did want to be confident that it was indeed Yvonne.

Yes, it was a sad loss for her to pass away so early in her life.

copley
01-06-2013, 06:40 PM
As Marv said it was Yvonne in the clip. The video was thought to come from one of Jonathan King's BBC television programmes [[probably Entertainment USA) and was recorded when Yvonne was touring with Dionne Warwick as her wardrobe mistress. However as Stephen Fry's voice is heard at the end it's more likely to be from a Channel 4 show as I'm sure Fry and Laurie did a lot of stuff for them way back then. Yvonne was never in 'The Vicar Of Dibley' as she died the same year as the 1st episode was aired.

skooldem1
01-06-2013, 06:51 PM
Not many singers can out do Gladys Knight, but this version by Yvonne is far superior. I actually find the versions by both Yvonne and Kim to be better than Gladys. After listening to all 3 back to back, Glady's version sounds bland.

westgrandboulevard
01-06-2013, 07:47 PM
Yes, although I enjoy them all for different reasons, I'd have to agree that the basic band track version by Gladys doesn't quite do it for me either.

Gladys's version with the added strings works much better IMO. The fuller sound underscores her generally restrained and understated sad vocals, while Yvonne's is undoubtedly the more full on, raw interpretation..

Boogiedown
01-07-2013, 03:20 AM
Yvonne was in the best of hands for this project , those of Norman Whitfield .

Pity, with this as the strong "B" side, this release should have been a big double-sided hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pGCuEBl-MQ

Seems like Motown dropped the ball with this one.

Methuselah2
01-07-2013, 03:49 AM
Loved Yvonne. Always thought she was a real stand-out in LADY SINGS THE BLUES. She could sing and act up a storm. And this video captured both. Many thanks Marv.

brother_love
01-07-2013, 01:27 PM
The sound was also covered by Jayne Edwards, Adeva & I've Got The Bullets.

RossHolloway
01-07-2013, 04:42 PM
Does anyone know if there are any unreleased tracks by her in the Motown vaults?

kenneth
01-07-2013, 06:45 PM
Does anyone know if there are any unreleased tracks by her in the Motown vaults?

I have always wondered that. Wasn't Norman Whitfield her producer? He was so prolific, with the Tempts and the Unidsputed Truth, it would seem there must be stuff on her in the vaults. She seems to be a great subject for a "lost and found."

What a voice. Her album "The Bitch is Black" used to be played every night before heading out to the clubs. It was the best party album.

The CD reissue has great sound but has no bonus tracks on it either.

Cosmic Truth
01-07-2013, 08:14 PM
Yes, but I'd say Yvonne is great.

I'm just wondering whatever she saw in him, in the first place..LOL

Still love the line before the fade : "Somebody call the police, that woman down there is a doggone thief..":)

Thanks to marv for posting it.

That is a great line.

On the album version, there's another great line just after that , where she sings,"get your hands off of me"

motony
01-08-2013, 03:38 PM
Yvonne had appeared on either Soul Train or Banstand when Funky Music Sho Nuff Turns Me on came out. She was in like a cave girl outfit & tore it up.I spent a great evening at Yvonne 's house in Hollywood, Ca. & gave her my copy of her old 45 "I Found You". At the time she was married to Sammy Strain of Imperials/O'Jays.I wish I could see a video of that performance.

reese
01-08-2013, 04:15 PM
Yvonne had appeared on either Soul Train or Banstand when Funky Music Sho Nuff Turns Me on came out. She was in like a cave girl outfit & tore it up.I spent a great evening at Yvonne 's house in Hollywood, Ca. & gave her my copy of her old 45 "I Found You". At the time she was married to Sammy Strain of Imperials/O'Jays.I wish I could see a video of that performance.

I think it was SOUL TRAIN. If I remember correctly, she was also barefoot.

brother_love
01-09-2013, 01:24 PM

Yvoone was a great talent and a dear friend. She always knew how to make me laugh and could light up any room. I miss her much and often think about her.

motony
01-09-2013, 03:58 PM
brother love, do you know whatever happened or the whereabouts of Yvonnes' daughter, Venetia?Was she her only child?

brother_love
01-10-2013, 01:54 PM
No I'm sorry I don't what happened to Vernisha; I think that James Brown was her father. Yvonne also had a son named LeRoy.
brother love, do you know whatever happened or the whereabouts of Yvonnes' daughter, Venetia?Was she her only child?

motony
01-10-2013, 03:00 PM
yes, JB is her father.

R. Mark Desjardins
01-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Yvonne Fair sure nailed down the sentiment that many of us having been spurned by a loved one. I'd venture to say that Norman Whitfield and Yvonne could have built an entire concept album around this theme. The slippin' and slidin' on the side after the wedding, the inevitable break up of the "happy couple," and finally, the formerly turned aside mistress getting her revenge. Maybe more of Millie Jackson's "thang," but I'll bet Norman could have cooked up some funkin' Motown stew to this timeless scenario!

midnightman
01-11-2013, 11:25 PM
After Tammi Terrell, Yvonne was James Brown's "First Lady" so to speak. The fact she brought her funky sound to Motown and got the adulation of some of its legends [[Norman and Marvin) speaks volumes. I love that part where she socks it to Gladys. HAHA... this was one of Norman's underrated songs.

RossHolloway
01-12-2013, 11:45 PM
I am embarassed to say that this is the first time I've heard Yvonne's version of Tell Me Something Good. This is one funky ass track. Thanks for posting.