PDA

View Full Version : Martha Reeves sings "Heatwave" with a pair of "famous" Vandellas

test

marybrewster
01-03-2013, 07:08 PM
I've never seen this clip before; Martha on lead with Darlene Love and Ronnie Spector as her Vandellas.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8szv7MzYtU

rod_rick
01-03-2013, 07:14 PM
I've never seen this clip before; Martha on lead with Darlene Love and Ronnie Spector as her Vandellas.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8szv7MzYtU

Marybrewster
If you check out the background singers on ther risers, you will see Lynda Lawrence in the middle singing also.

reese
01-03-2013, 07:18 PM
Earlier in the segment, Martha sang backup for Darlene and Ronnie on DA DOO RON RON and BABY, I LOVE YOU.

I remember a local reviewer saying that aside from Martha's performance, the rest of the special was a snooze.

BayouMotownMan
01-03-2013, 07:19 PM
I have this special on tape, it was aired shortly after Motown 25 and was an obvious cash in. It's always good to see Martha though

Roberta75
01-03-2013, 11:45 PM
Fabulous clip and Dr Martha Reeves is on fire. Nobody can touch this lady on stage. She is pure magic a true music superstar.

Thank you marybrewster for sharing this.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

johnjeb
01-04-2013, 07:45 AM
Is the guy in the white suit Frankie Valli?

randy_russi
01-04-2013, 09:07 AM
Yes, it is Frankie Valli!

westgrandboulevard
01-04-2013, 09:27 AM
Thank you marybrewster, this is a great clip and, like you, not one I've seen before.

Does anyone know if the HBO programme 'Legendary Ladies of Rock & Roll' - from about the same time in 80s?, and which featured Martha, Ronnie Spector, Mary Wells,Brenda Lee, Lesley Gore etc., - has yet been released on DVD?

marv2
01-04-2013, 10:51 AM
Thank you marybrewster, this is a great clip and, like you, not one I've seen before.

Does anyone know if the HBO programme 'Legendary Ladies of Rock & Roll' - from about the same time in 80s?, and which featured Martha, Ronnie Spector, Mary Wells,Brenda Lee, Lesley Gore etc., - has yet been released on DVD?

That show [[ 'Legendary Ladies of Rock & Roll') was from 1987. I have it on commerical VHS. I am not sure if it was ever released on DVD.

reese
01-04-2013, 10:55 AM

I don't think any of those Cinemax Sessions [[of which this was one) were ever released on dvd, at least not legitimately. I've seen a couple of them released by Hudson Street, and Hallmark. But I believe they were made using the vhs originals as a source.

westgrandboulevard
01-04-2013, 10:56 AM
Thanks marv & reese

Yes, I too have a VHS copy but, unless I strike lucky after rummaging in an old cupboard, nothing to play it on!

I thought it was a great show, so will just have to go on hoping for a DVD release....

luke
01-04-2013, 01:02 PM
Lois and Delphine were supposed to be with her at recent BBKIngs gig.

marybrewster
01-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Lois and Delphine were supposed to be with her at recent BBKIngs gig.

I'll be seeing Martha next week; her appearance is listed with the Vandellas. A girl can dream, but oh how I'd love for it to be Roz and Nettie, although I will settle for Lois and Delphine.

I just hope it's not two "fake" Vandellas.

jobeterob
01-04-2013, 02:40 PM
I'll be seeing Martha next week; her appearance is listed with the Vandellas. A girl can dream, but oh how I'd love for it to be Roz and Nettie, although I will settle for Lois and Delphine.

I just hope it's not two "fake" Vandellas.

Maybe it'll be Lynda and Scherrie?

Mary & Lynda?

Mary & Darlene?

bradsupremes
01-04-2013, 03:57 PM
You're in deep trouble if it's Shantel and Pearlie!

marybrewster
01-04-2013, 04:27 PM
You're in deep trouble if it's Shantel and Pearlie!

I secretly hope it's Tina Duress and Linda Lorenz.

jobeterob
01-04-2013, 06:33 PM
Let us fervently kneel in deep prayer asking that at this late stage, Shantel does not back up backgrounds with the real thing..........or we surely will never hear the end of THAT!

And we thought Mary got in trouble with various Karens and at a trailer court!

randy_russi
01-04-2013, 06:56 PM
This TV special was done about 6mos. after Darlene, Ronnie & Martha performed as
the Legendary Ladies of Rock & Roll in Redondo Beach, CA. on April 2nd, 1983.
This was a HIGHLY successful concert and was performed at Redondo Beach
Community College Auditorium. Phil Spector was there, Mary Wilson, Betty
Kelly of the Vandellas and I can't remember who all else, but we had a great
party aferwards at the promoter's home. Don Meany and Tony Rodriquez
were the promoters and the party was at Don's three-story condo.
All three women went on to write a book on their life and career and not
one of them mentioned this fabulous, successful show.
By the way, the weekend BEFORE this concert, Motown 25 was taped.

luke
01-04-2013, 10:24 PM
I thought it was Lydia Lorenz.

stephanie
01-05-2013, 12:27 PM
I remember seeing this on cable and it got good ratings!