PDA

View Full Version : Question about "Guarantee [[For A Lifetime)" by Mary Wells

test

mowest
01-02-2013, 08:26 PM
I'm stumped as to who is singing background vocals on this recording.
It was recorded on 09/13/62 according to the liner notes for Mary's latest compilation "Something New." So it could be the Andantes, Supremes or Vandellas. Can anyone shed some light? Thanks so much.

Kamasu_Jr
01-02-2013, 08:30 PM
I'm stumped as to who is singing background vocals on this recording.
It was recorded on 09/13/62 according to the liner notes for Mary's latest compilation "Something New." So it could be the Andantes, Supremes or Vandellas. Can anyone shed some light? Thanks so much.

I believe Motony or someone else on the forum said Martha Reeves said it was the Vandellas.

BayouMotownMan
01-02-2013, 08:45 PM
It is Martha and her Vandellas, Rosalind is very prominent in the background

Kamasu_Jr
01-02-2013, 08:47 PM
It is Martha and her Vandellas, Rosalind is very prominent in the background

Thought so. I like the song too - especially the background vocals.

mowest
01-02-2013, 10:24 PM
Thanks everyone! I really think the Vandellas were the best female background vocalists Motown ever had.

BayouMotownMan
01-03-2013, 04:10 PM
There is a newer mix of that great track on the new Mary Wells CD from HipoSelect. During the fade Mary, obviously running out of adlibs sings, "my names in Mary." LOL Love it

BayouMotownMan
01-03-2013, 05:00 PM
correction, "My name is Mary"

RossHolloway
01-04-2013, 09:52 PM
I think it's a really nice song. So many gems on this new Mary Wells set.

robb_k
01-04-2013, 10:26 PM
I certainly don't hear Martha AT ALL.

mowsville
01-05-2013, 05:14 AM
im with you Rob on this one...these kind of threads always make me laugh...people get into all kinds of spats over who had the most soulful voice and who had the weakest voice at motown...yet its pretty clear who's singing the backing on this one and folks now cant tell the difference!!!!!

robb_k
01-05-2013, 05:52 AM
Actually, the backing girls don't sound like The Vandellas, Andantes or Supremes. Maybe it's an ad-hoc concoction? [[Linda Griner, Miss Ray and Sheree Taylor?):D

mowest
01-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Actually, the backing girls don't sound like The Vandellas, Andantes or Supremes. Maybe it's an ad-hoc concoction? [[Linda Griner, Miss Ray and Sheree Taylor?):D

Now I'm really confused! How about it Andy, Harry, George? Any insights?

marv2
01-05-2013, 06:20 PM
I always liked that record.

randy_russi
01-06-2013, 12:53 PM
I have no clue, either.

mowest
01-06-2013, 01:58 PM

The background singers almost sound "too good" to be a "thrown-together-for-one-session" type of group, don't you think?

robb_k
01-06-2013, 03:02 PM
The background singers almost sound "too good" to be a "thrown-together-for-one-session" type of group, don't you think?
I don't know if that reasoning can be used, as several ad hoc background aggregations that Berry, Smokey and Mickey used in known, documented recording sessions sounded cohesive and very good. Of course, I was being facetious with the particular 3 I proposed. But we know of several cases in which stray members of groups fit in well together with other stray Motown artists, and they sounded very "together".

In any case, I don't recognise the voices of this group as The Andantes, Vandellas, Supremes, Marvelettes or Velvelettes. Maybe they were The "Paulettes" or The "Beljeans" or The "Darnells"[[from Ontario) or Ann Bogan and Her Challengers III?

westgrandboulevard
01-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Interesting just how some information, or an idea, can be so persuasive on the mind.

I've always thought [[assumed?) it WAS The Vandellas.

I believe I hear Martha, not perhaps as strongly as on other recordings, but particularly on the words 'love' and 'lifetime'.

Then, when I listen again, I'm not quite so sure, and start thinking of a combination of Vandella and Andante members!

In the large scale of things, it's not so important of course - and never was - but interest and curiosity in the listener do make for a very heady combination...:)