PDA

View Full Version : Four Tops 1962 Red Top Output

test

woodward
12-31-2012, 01:41 PM
In David Bianco's HEAT WAVE book, the following statement was made regarding the Four Tops.

". . . In 1962, they signed with Red Top records and recorded several tracks, none of which Red Top felt were good enough to be released. . . ."

Does anyone have any knowledge of number of songs, titles, etc. that were recorded on Red Top? Have they ever been made available on any compilation? I am not positive exactly where Red Top Records was located, however, I suspect Philadelphia. I have several other Red Top singles in my collection but none by the Four Tops.

There have been two recently released "Best of Red Top Records" issued and I checked the contents of the listings for both of these and no mention of the Four Tops whatsoever.

Methuselah2
01-01-2013, 08:50 AM
I can't answer any of your questions but you're right about the Phila. location of Red Top.

woodward
01-01-2013, 09:09 AM
I can't answer any of your questions but you're right about the Phila. location of Red Top.
Thanks for confirming that it was located in Philadelphia. I have never seen a complete discography of the label, i. e. actual number of 45s released, song titles, artists. Has anyone else ever seen this information?

Methuselah2
01-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Woodward - In this link, there's an EMAIL ME tab at the very bottom. Maybe that contact can help with what you're looking for. Might be worth a try.

http://www.colorradio.com/quintones.htm

robb_k
01-02-2013, 01:29 AM
I have a bunch of records on Red Top [[Ivy-Tones, Vito & Salutations, etc.). I think the label ran from 1957-1962. Interesting that The Four Tops were dropped by Chicago's Chess [[1955-57), recorded for Columbia in New York in 1960, and then recorded with Philadelphia's Red Top Records in 1962, and then New York's Riverside Records in late 1962-early 1963, before FINALLY signing with a Detroit label [[Motown) in mid 1963. They are the only Detroit group I know of, who were in the music business so long and with so many different labels, with NONE of them local, in Detroit. That was doubly interesting, because Levi Stubbs' brother's group, The Falcons, was with local, Detroit producer, Robert West, and his labels from 1956-1959, and still recording in Detroit from 1960-65 when West had their recordings leased to UA, back on his own, local LuPine Records, and leased to Atlantic Records.

II have no idea how The Four Tops signed with Columbia. I wonder if there was any connection to their also signing Aretha Franklin? I assume they got connected with Riverside Records [[a Jazz label), because its owner, Bill Grauer, agreat Jazz afficianado, knew of The Four Tops through having seen their act, and knowledge of them in the Jazz "supper club circuit". But, I have no idea what connection they may have had to Philadelphia, or Red Top Records. That label, recorded mainly R&B and harmony groups no Jazzy or MOR groups, as far as I remember.

woodward
01-02-2013, 09:26 AM
I have a bunch of records on Red Top [[Ivy-Tones, Vito & Salutations, etc.). I think the label ran from 1957-1962. Interesting that The Four Tops were dropped by Chicago's Chess [[1955-57), recorded for Columbia in New York in 1960, and then recorded with Philadelphia's Red Top Records in 1962, and then New York's Riverside Records in late 1962-early 1963, before FINALLY signing with a Detroit label [[Motown) in mid 1963. They are the only Detroit group I know of, who were in the music business so long and with so many different labels, with NONE of them local, in Detroit. That was doubly interesting, because Levi Stubbs' brother's group, The Falcons, was with local, Detroit producer, Robert West, and his labels from 1956-1959, and still recording in Detroit from 1960-65 when West had their recordings leased to UA, back on his own, local LuPine Records, and leased to Atlantic Records.

II have no idea how The Four Tops signed with Columbia. I wonder if there was any connection to their also signing Aretha Franklin? I assume they got connected with Riverside Records [[a Jazz label), because its owner, Bill Grauer, agreat Jazz afficianado, knew of The Four Tops through having seen their act, and knowledge of them in the Jazz "supper club circuit". But, I have no idea what connection they may have had to Philadelphia, or Red Top Records. That label, recorded mainly R&B and harmony groups no Jazzy or MOR groups, as far as I remember.

I have just located Goldmine Magazine March 3, 1995, Issue 381 which featured The Four Tops, Forty Years at the Top. Emily Gaul did an excellent story on the group in which she stated, ". . . In 1962, the Four Tops made recordings for two obscure Detroit labels, Red Top and Singular, which were never released. . . ." I never knew there was a Detroit Red Top label, has anyone else? Wonder what the titles were and do these recordings exist anywhere in the world?

reese
01-02-2013, 10:28 AM

I think John Hammond signed both Aretha and the Four Tops around the same time, but don't quote me.

woodward
01-02-2013, 06:41 PM
I have just located Goldmine Magazine March 3, 1995, Issue 381 which featured The Four Tops, Forty Years at the Top. Emily Gaul did an excellent story on the group in which she stated, ". . . In 1962, the Four Tops made recordings for two obscure Detroit labels, Red Top and Singular, which were never released. . . ." I never knew there was a Detroit Red Top label, has anyone else? Wonder what the titles were and do these recordings exist anywhere in the world?

I looked at the Groovesville USA book which I have and in the section by artist the listing states the Four Tops are also reported to have had 45s on Red Top and Grady. The book also has a section of Detroit connection labels A to Z and Red Top, Singular, and Grady are not included in the listing.

This is very confusing. Hopefully someone knowledgeable can straighten this out and tell us the real facts.