PDA

View Full Version : 'till you were gone"

test

thisoldheart
12-29-2012, 02:19 AM
i was carefully reading the notes to the "complete motown singles 1966". i was reading about my two favorite miracle songs recorded but not written by smokey: "whole lotta shakin' in my heart" by frank wilson, and "[[come 'round here) i'm the one you need" by h/d/h.

the notes said that frank wilson had written a follow up to "whole lotta shakin'" titled "'til you were gone" and that although h/d/h's "[[come 'round here) i'm the one you need" was chosen as the follow-up, frank wilson's demo was mistakenly placed on the 1995 double cd "the best of smokey robinson & the miracles".

i immediately bought it. it is a real rocker that fits right in with the two released miracles hits. this is my find of the year. strange that a frank wilson demo would end up listed as a smokey recording ... but, i am not complaining! anybody know of other surprises out there like this?

rovereab
12-29-2012, 08:38 AM
Found the song here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo-G5-TZbYM

Sounds good and IMO a better song for Smokey to sing in comparison to Come Round Here which to my ears is more suited to the Four Tops or Isley Brothers.

thisoldheart
12-29-2012, 03:14 PM
thanks for finding the song, rovereab! sometimes i wonder how awake the motown crowd was during their weekly meetings. they seem to have let quite a few hits slip by, while releasing an occasional dud!

by the way, i love smokey's "come round here". perhaps frank could have released this himself with just a little sweetening by the andantes!

Kamasu_Jr
01-02-2013, 06:40 AM
Slightly off topic but on it too. What about that version of Every Little Bit Hurts that was allegedly recorded before Brenda Holloway's Motown version? It has popped up on several discs identified as by Brenda but it's not her. Personally, I like the Frank Wilson demo better than that northern soul favorite he's better known for.

carole cucumber
01-02-2013, 09:01 AM
Slightly off topic but on it too. What about that version of Every Little Bit Hurts that was allegedly recorded before Brenda Holloway's Motown version? It has popped up on several discs identified as by Brenda but it's not her. Personally, I like the Frank Wilson demo better than that northern soul favorite he's better known for.

Barbara Wilson, the wife of Frank Wilson.
I assume that your last statement refers to 'Till You Were Gone"

Kamasu_Jr
01-02-2013, 08:36 PM
Barbara Wilson, the wife of Frank Wilson.
I assume that your last statement refers to 'Till You Were Gone"

Actually, DO I LOVE YOU.

thommg
01-03-2013, 06:19 PM
Found the song here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo-G5-TZbYM

Sounds good and IMO a better song for Smokey to sing in comparison to Come Round Here which to my ears is more suited to the Four Tops or Isley Brothers.

I could easily see this being sung by the Jean Terrell led Supremes. Her voice would have worked this song.

Motown4Ever518
01-04-2013, 10:35 AM
thanks for finding the song, rovereab! sometimes i wonder how awake the motown crowd was during their weekly meetings. they seem to have let quite a few hits slip by, while releasing an occasional dud!

by the way, i love smokey's "come round here". perhaps frank could have released this himself with just a little sweetening by the andantes!

Great Song! Equally great find. I am a huge Frank Wilson Fan. When you consider that in no particular order my favorite Motown producers are; Ashford and Simpson, Smokey, HDH, Stevenson-Hunter, on some days I could see Frank Wilson being @ #8. I too would love to have more information about this spiritual man.