PDA

View Full Version : r. dean taylor and h/d/h

test

thisoldheart
12-28-2012, 03:24 AM
yesterday i had out volumes 6 & 7 of "the complete motown singles". i have always loved "ghost in my house" and am aware that r. dean taylor wrote it with h/d/h. i love its connection to the four tops next chronological single "7-rooms of gloom".

it seems an awful shame that no writer of note is writing an authoritative history of how the motown famed production machine worked. it is such an important part of american popular music. i am so tired of reading books about the petty rivalries between motown stars.

reading the notes in "the complete singles" it says there are rumors that "ghost" was to be the follow-up to the tops' "bernadette". the notes also say that taylor played an uncredited role in h/d/h productions. seeing as how "7-rooms of gloom" seems like a very similar themed and sounding single to the "ghost" hit i am wondering what other productions taylor helped with.

i would also be curious if there are other tales to tell about close working relations with dean and h/d/h. it would be so interesting to hear any other tales from those most historic times.

Methuselah2
12-28-2012, 04:41 AM
I've seen HDH with R. Dean Taylor credited on:
-- Four Tops/I'LL TURN TO STONE
-- Supremes/MOTHER YOU, SMOTHER YOU

And--occasionally--I've seen HDH with Sylvia Moy credited on:
-- Isley Bros./THIS OLD HEART OF MINE [[IS WEAK FOR YOU)

But, unfortunately, I have no other info on these recordings--except that I personally like them all; THIS OLD HEART OF MINE is a real favorite.

I've always wondered what exactly was RDT's & SM's involvement with these works. Sure would like to know.ThisOldHeart, you've certainly brought up a very interesting issue. Thank you.

paul_nixon
12-28-2012, 07:00 AM
Perhaps Dean who visits this board occasionally may be able to fill in some of the blanks

Kamasu_Jr
12-28-2012, 08:42 AM
I heard that Taylor wrote some of the songs himself without HDH, who just took a writing credit. Wonder if this is true?

reese
12-28-2012, 10:19 AM
I heard that Taylor wrote some of the songs himself without HDH, who just took a writing credit. Wonder if this is true?

There was a quote from Taylor in the book MOTOWN: THE HISTORY. He named a few songs that he said he co-wrote with HDH, but never received credit for.

Kamasu_Jr
12-28-2012, 10:21 AM
There was a quote from Taylor in the book MOTOWN: THE HISTORY. He named a few songs that he said he co-wrote with HDH, but never received credit for.

Oh, I see. He was probably telling the truth.

soulwally
12-28-2012, 02:10 PM
He was in awe of Brian Holland, RDT said in a TV interview some years ago now.

bradsupremes
12-28-2012, 03:18 PM
HDH must have been in a Halloween song mood during October 1966. Not only did they have recording dates for "There's A Ghost In My House" and "7 Rooms Of Gloom," but the Supremes' "I Created A Monster" was cut around the same time although that song never received vocals.

thisoldheart
12-28-2012, 03:46 PM
so what songs does r. dean taylor say he helped h/d/h with? if he writes the music, his songs sound very different from the h/d/h style. if he wrote lyrics they don't sound like similar either. but, one can see how easily h/d/h could have needed help. they were super busy guys!

theboyfromxtown
12-28-2012, 05:31 PM
HDH must have been in a Halloween song mood during October 1966. Not only did they have recording dates for "There's A Ghost In My House" and "7 Rooms Of Gloom," but the Supremes' "I Created A Monster" was cut around the same time although that song never received vocals.

Brad - check this out from writer Lamont Dozier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezOsfQupbSM

reese
12-29-2012, 07:20 PM
Brad - check this out from writer Lamont Dozier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezOsfQupbSM

Millie Jackson recorded this song as well, as YOU CREATED A MONSTER.