PDA

View Full Version : DIANA ROSS on TNT tonight 8 PM; "White House"

test

Jimi LaLumia
12-21-2012, 08:57 PM
first showing is 8 PM NY time on TNT network..YEA!!

TheMotownManiac
12-21-2012, 10:08 PM
I'm waiting for Marv2's review of the washed up, played out has-been who is trending on twitter right now and the talk of the industry

Jimi LaLumia
12-21-2012, 11:40 PM
Miss Ross was, in a word...*** FABULOUS!!****

TheMotownManiac
12-22-2012, 12:04 AM
Stunning. I'm speechless. I take back everything I ever said about her. I will never sing another note, never wear another gown. I'm going to crawl into a hole, break my leg and hope I can do the same.

David J
12-22-2012, 04:50 AM
Charles Castel [[http://www.facebook.com/charles.castel.90) Go to twitter.com, log in if you have an account and you'll see she's in the top ten, at least a few minutes ago. Click on her name and you'll see the tweets mentioning her name. Mostly praise for her Xmas performance and gown, though the Demi Lavato fans are angry Diana is trending and not Demi, lol!.

Wow!! loads of comments to get through, happy to see that there are a lot more positive comments than negative ones, the haters can't help their jealousy towards the ULTIMATE DIVA MISS DIANA ROSS.

https://twitter.com/search/realtime?q=diana+ross&src=tyah

jobeterob
12-22-2012, 09:03 PM
Diana Ross dazzles crowd at 'Christmas In Washington'

CHRISTMASDECEMBER 22, 2012BY: SIMA BALLINGERSubscribe

Diana Ross sings Christmas favorites at Christmas in Washington.

Legendary singer, Diana Ross dazzled the audience at “Christmas In Washington,” where President Barack and his family attended the event; the show aired December 21 on TNT.

The audience was wooed by the singing Goddess. Diana’s voice is so beautiful that she sounds perfectly fine unaccompanied by music. However, the orchestra and chorus did deliver a spectacular sound at every note.

Diana Sang Three Favorite Classical Christmas Songs
Some Day at Christmas, Sleigh Ride, It’s The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Some day at Christmas [[sample wording)
Some day at Christmas they’ll be no wars
When we have learned what Christmas is for
When we have found what life’s really worth,
They’ll be peace on earth

jobeterob
12-22-2012, 09:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DFn8hLhoaI

milven
12-22-2012, 09:44 PM
Her voice sounds great. Still has that pure , unique sound. Glad she rested for a while to play with her grandchild. Her voice is stronger than ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DFn8hLhoaI&feature=player_embedded

skooldem1
12-23-2012, 01:08 AM
When the show started, there was no monologue, no opening production number. Just these words..."Ladies and Gentlemen...DIANA ROSS". There she was, her face filled the screen. She looked wonderful and was dressed age appropriate for the occasion. Musically speaking, the choirs were great and Diana Ross sounded so good. Her voice was clear as a bell and she regained her higher register. She really did sound great, and she swung along with the jazz arrangement on one of the songs. After watching the preview clips that have been posted, I thought she only sang those 3 songs. It was really a surprise to also see her sing an additional song- "Wonderful Christmas time". She sang 4 songs in total in the opening. After her, each performer got to sing a song or a mashup of 2 songs. Between each performer, and break, you got to hear a snippet of the choirs. At the end of the show, in quick succession, each performer sang a song. Except for the first guy, each performer came on from the side of the stage. Diana was the final performer. All of the choirs were on stage at this point. Then all of a sudden The choirs parted, and Diana walked through like Moses parting the Red Sea. She looked every bit of a Legend. Like Billy D said in Lady Sings the Blues, "let me tell you about that dress". She looked so regal, and so beautiful. She sang Amazing Grace and the hall was so silent you could hear a pin drop. She ended the song with her arms raised in triumph. A picture that I'm sure will be used in many books in the future. At the end of her song, the Vice President stood up and the President, First Lady and the rest of the audience and Washington elite followed. After that the President gave a speech, and then Diana, The President, First Family and the other Performers sang one last song together.

Regarding the other performers, I don't know them. Megan Hilty, had a well trained voice and sounded good. Chris Mann was pretty good. Scotty McCreery was as dreary as he has always been. I did know him from American Idol. Then there was Demi Lovato- I only know her from all the tweets and seeing her once on X Factor. This poor child. lol. She was trying to sing the Mariah Carey classic "All I want for Christmas". Aside from the show she judges on, I don't know anything about her, and have never heard her sing. From all the things her fans were saying I thought she would be pretty good. Sorry, but for me she wasn't good at all. She was doing all these riffs, hand movements and neck rolling, etc. and really didn't have the voice to back up what her fans were saying. On top of that, she was not dressed appropriately for performing not only for the President, but for a Christmas special. In her defense, she is young and I'm sure she learned a lot from the legend on the show, Diana Ross.

All in all, it was a good show, but I'm glad it was only an hour because if it was longer, and especially if Diana Ross didn't perform more songs, then the show would have dragged on. A couple of funny things about the show. Those Obama girls couldn't have been less impressed. I love the young one. She couldn't have looked more bored. We have all been there, when your parents force you to watch or listen to something you have absolutely no interest in. The only time I think she smiled was when Psy performed. Also, leave it to Diana to wear a gown so big that even with the first family there she took center stage. There were also a couple of times when Diana first performed her Christmas Medley where they would show the President laughing and talking with his daughter and not being totally fixated on Diana. If it was anyone else but him, she would have stopped the show.

All in all, it was a great appearance by Diana. She looked and sounded great. Below are the pictures I feel will become iconic for Diana Ross fans. The first is her at the end of Amazing Grace with her arms raised in triumph. The other is her about to embrace the President. I really like this picture because it says so much. Here is a lady who met MLK and then attended his funeral. She also knows Jesse Jackson. As an African American who was alive during those times even before the civil rights movement, you can see how proud she was to meet Barack Obama and the sheer joy she felt.

skooldem1
12-23-2012, 11:45 AM
Here is Diana's opening performance in it's entirety. It is not the preview, it is the full medley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64G4UPznzpk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

jobeterob
12-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Awesome. Thanks. Can someone post the finale.

Roberta75
12-23-2012, 05:31 PM
Diane Ross was real good on this Chistmas Special. I hope President Obama asks the first Lady of Motown Records Miss martha Reeves next Christmas. That would be a dream come true for me.

Roberta

dba
12-24-2012, 01:30 PM
Wow this has to be the first Ross thread that hasn't gone south. Must be a Christmas miracle!

Great performance.

Let's see if we can all stay positive and celebrate the holidays and the music we love.

zani57
12-25-2012, 01:51 PM
The "Christmas in Washington" special was great. I loved it! Diana looked and sounded wonderful. It was so nice to see her in such a venue and receiving top billing, starting the show, being mentioned by President Obama.
One little minor clarification. The thread says "The White House." This event annually is held at the National Building Museum.

http://www.nbm.org/

Originally it was The Pension Building. I used to live in D.C. and have taken tours of it a couple times. Civil War veterans used to come in to get their pension checks and take their horses up the grand staircases.

smark21
12-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Diana Ross kicked off the show, but she didn’t get top billing. Billing was alphabetical when TNT ran the opening credits following Ross’ performance.

Jimi LaLumia
12-26-2012, 08:34 PM
lol... it was just a matter of time... she got more 'seen on the screen' than anyone else.. like a Biblical prophecy, it started and ended with her...eat yer heart out!!!...Merry Christmas!!

zani57
12-27-2012, 04:36 AM
Diana Ross kicked off the show, but she didn’t get top billing. Billing was alphabetical when TNT ran the opening credits following Ross’ performance.

Mark, I stand corrected. Yes, in the strict sense of what "top billing" means, TNT listed the performers in alphabetical order. I did feel that with Diana starting off the show in the televised version with the medley and then the opening credits, it led one to believe that Diana Ross was the top draw of the night. And President Obama made mention of Diana Ross and Conan, but not Megan Hilty or Demi Lovato. It is, I believe, fair to say, she was the biggest star there among the performers. She looked beautiful and sounded great.

smark21
12-27-2012, 09:57 AM
In his remarks, President Obama mentioned Conan O’Brien’s name before Diana Ross. I’m sure a few die hard Diana Ross fans joined the tea party in the aftermath to register their displeasure with the President giving Miss Ross second billing. And I’m sure Ross fans were upset by last night’s Kennedy Center Honors telecast as Ann Wilson got a much more thunderous standing ovation for her performance of Stairway to Heaven than Diana Ross received for Amazing Grace. A Wilson getting more applause than a Ross? Shocking!

marybrewster
12-27-2012, 10:22 AM
Diana Ross was so far out of everyone's league, it was embarassing. Quite honestly, they could have done without everyone else [[except maybe the different choirs) and just had Diana. She looked stunning [[as expected) and that 2nd gown was GORGEOUS.

Funny how out of all of the "seasoned" performers [[Aretha, Dionne, Barbra, Patti...the list goes on....) DIANA was chosen to represent. Just goes to show she's still on her game.

I enjoyed the show [[well, at least Diana's spots) and actually cringed when "All I Want For Christmas" was butchered by the flavor of the month. I bet Mariah was throwing a pi$$y fit, LOL.

smark21
12-27-2012, 10:35 AM
In 2012 terms, the biggest star on the bill was Psy as his Gangham Style song has over 1 Billion views on youtube. He was the only one who seemed to interest Sasha Obama, who looked bored and was obviously forced to attend the event otherwise. But Psy just oozes one hit wonder and Gangham Style is the Macarena of 2012. I think the show could have been stronger if it had just been Diana Ross, Megan Hilty [[voice wise she was the best of the bill), and a singer like either Josh Groban or Cheyenne Jackson, performing Xmas songs along with the choirs. It could have been a Christmas in Vienna type program with a pop diva flanked by two Broadway type singers and choirs. But then Sasha would have been completely bored!

jobeterob
12-27-2012, 03:17 PM
Agree with Smark.

But they were trying to appeal to a large audience, a diverse audience.

Sasha certainly does not hide her boredom well. I wonder how many lectures she gets about it.

Roberta75
12-27-2012, 05:18 PM
Agree with Smark.

But they were trying to appeal to a large audience, a diverse audience.

Sasha certainly does not hide her boredom well. I wonder how many lectures she gets about it.

Well if they really want to appeal to a larger audience they need to book the First Lady of Motown Records Miss Martha Reeves for next years Christmas Special. Miss Martha was a big hit on Dancing wioth the stars and the audience love her. Miss Reeves is loved all over the world and looks and sounds real good.

Roberta

stephanie
12-27-2012, 06:09 PM
Ross sounded great on this. Her higher register is back. Go Miss Ross.

smark21
12-27-2012, 07:34 PM
Well if they really want to appeal to a larger audience they need to book the First Lady of Motown Records Miss Martha Reeves for next years Christmas Special. Miss Martha was a big hit on Dancing wioth the stars and the audience love her. Miss Reeves is loved all over the world and looks and sounds real good.

Roberta

One thing is for sure, Sasha won’t be bored if she hears Martha Reeves sing.

jobeterob
12-27-2012, 09:13 PM

It's been a long while since there was a good laugh on here; but this one made me laugh spontaneously and loud.

Sorry, Roberta; I love Martha too.

Roberta75
12-27-2012, 10:47 PM

That's because the First Lady of Motown Miss martha Reeves appeal to all generations smark21. Diane Ross is a real fine entertainer in fact one of the best IMO but Diane appeal to a slightly older crowd but Miss Reeves has teenagers and older people at her shows and they all leave happy and feeling real good.

Yours, with every good wish.

Roberta

jobeterob
12-27-2012, 11:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4UYj9Yztg4

A true Diva. Can also still sing.

jobeterob
01-13-2013, 03:56 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2245665/Diana-Ross-wears-voluminous-white-dress-fit-angel-sing-President-Obama.html

a lot of pictures