PDA

View Full Version : Motown and Del Shannon fans.

test

stephanie
12-17-2012, 02:47 AM
1:20-2:15 will warm your heart if you love Del Shannon and Motown I watched this whole thing twice. I loved 1:20-2:15 though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vrnwu_yl4k

oldiesmusicfan
12-19-2012, 09:52 PM
Thanks Stephanie! Del Shannon is a big favorite of mine. That's a loss that really hit me hard.

Some of those songs in the video are from a great, not-a-big-hit CD "Rock On!" I just love Walk Away, When I Had You and Who Left Who, to name a few. He would have been an excellent replacement for Roy Orbison in the Traveling Wilburys - you can really hear it on this CD. And here comes my highest praise - even his re-makes of songs are good. I am NOT a fan of re-makes at all, but he does a good job on any song. Example - I Go To Pieces.

I wish I knew how to change the "size" of a picture so I could post the photos I took at this memorial to Del Shannon -

"Southeast corner of Hamblin and Capital Avenues | Battle Creek MI 49017 | 8003972240
This monument was erected on the former site of the Hi-Lo Club. It was at the Hi-Lo Club where Del Shannon, [[born Charles Westover in Coopersville, MI), "rocked" under the name of the Charlie Johnson Band playing "Runaway" the first time. Runaway sold over six million copies. The stone base was built by a local stone mason. The granite replica of the Big Top 45 RPM record is exact to the original and includes all of the type. It is the only official state historical site that honors a Rock n Roll singer and a song."

I'll email the photos to anyone who knows how to alter the size of a photo and would be willing to post them for me.

Oldies

tmd
12-21-2012, 08:36 PM
Any thing with Jeff Lynn is amazing, should be in the Rock Hall of fame a long time ago

and Del is great

Thanks for sharing

stephanie
12-21-2012, 09:52 PM
Oh my gosh! Good to see some Del fans here. I love She Still Remembers Tony, Hats off to Larry and an album he put out called The Further Adventures of Charles Westover. Im telling you I KNOW you have heard Gemini, and Thinking it Over. Im not too fond of some of the songs he did on This is My Bag but I DO like the album Total Commitment. Del and Johnny Rivers are the only people I can listen to who do remakes [[other than the Four Tops).

I went mental when he explained the 2X4 in Stranger and Town and then related it to Reach Out by the Four Tops. As a music fan and a Del and Motown fan it made me really happy. Loved his background in Brian Hylands rendition of Gypsy Woman as well.

marv2
12-22-2012, 02:43 AM
I loved how they used Del's "Runaway" as the theme to one of my favorite 80's cop shows that was set in the 60's........"Crime Story"! Remember?

StuBass1
12-22-2012, 03:05 AM
Del Shannon lived in my community out here in SoCal prior to his untimely passing, and some friends of mine know his daughter quite well. Plus, The Harry Balk connection brings us back to the very early days in Detroit and what evolved out of there which influenced so many Detroit music folks to even those of us still stranded out here on the Left Coast lol.

oldiesmusicfan
12-22-2012, 03:10 PM
Here's the Crime Story version of Runaway -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8APl40BE3tc

Oldies

marv2
12-22-2012, 04:49 PM
Here's the Crime Story version of Runaway -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8APl40BE3tc

Oldies

Thanks Oldies!