PDA

View Full Version : DRATS the final Performance

test

skooldem1
12-15-2012, 12:38 AM
Did anyone attend the farewell performance shows of DRATS at the Frontier Hotel? Was the final performance Lp a good representation of that show? I'd like to see the hippo-select treatment given, similar to that of the Copa show. They can remaster what was previously released along with the actual real show. I think that this was a great concert, and very historic. Also, please post any photos you may have come across on the web.

skooldem1
12-15-2012, 12:47 AM
What are some of your favorite performances from this show. I haven't listen to this CD in a long time, but from what I can remember: "I'm gonna make you love me", "My man", "Didn't we", "The impossible Dream" and of course "Someday we'll be together". Confession time. When I first heard this show, I thought that Mary sang "Can't take my eyes of of you" and Cindy sang "Falling in love with love". I later found out that Mary sang both. Is this the truth? If so, why wasn't Cindy allowed to sing a solo? Maybe allowed isn't correct. Maybe she wasn't confident enough to sing a solo. What do you think?

floyjoy678
12-15-2012, 02:21 AM
I would say Cindy was confident enough by this time, she gets a very brief solo on "Let the Sunshine In" and she gives it all she's got. I really didn't like this album, it was the least favorite of mine of all the live albums tied with "Live In Japan". It was too Vegas-y for me. I did like "Love Child", Diana's "My Man", "The Impossible Dream" and "Someday We'll Be Together". Their performance of "Reflections" is also my favorite live version of it. But the rest I really could care less. "Falling In Love With Love" sounded horrible and their hits medley was the fastest I think it had ever been done. To me it sounded like they were just trying to get the show over and done with and move on with their lives.

floyjoy678
12-15-2012, 02:24 AM
Let me correct "Falling In Love With Love" Cindy and Diana in the background sounded good but Mary sounded horrible. She was so good on "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" I didn't understand why she sounded so bad on "Falling In Love With Love". Given that the album is different performances spliced together maybe Mary was having an off night on that performance. Funny story of mine is: during the instrumental break of "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" Mary says something and I used to think she was saying "To hell with you!".

rod_rick
12-15-2012, 04:30 AM
What are some of your favorite performances from this show. I haven't listen to this CD in a long time, but from what I can remember: "I'm gonna make you love me", "My man", "Didn't we", "The impossible Dream" and of course "Someday we'll be together". Confession time. When I first heard this show, I thought that Mary sang "Can't take my eyes of of you" and Cindy sang "Falling in love with love". I later found out that Mary sang both. Is this the truth? If so, why wasn't Cindy allowed to sing a solo? Maybe allowed isn't correct. Maybe she wasn't confident enough to sing a solo. What do you think?

I really enjoyed this album. I must admit the first time I heard this show, it was the the 2nd half on 8track. My mom bought it. It took me 6 years to hear the entire show, because I couldn't find the album or the first half of the show on 8 track. The sound of the show is what impressed me the most because I could hear Mary and Cindy in the background loud and clear. I still have the booklet that came with the album somewhere. I would say this is one of my favorite live albums from the Supremes. If Talk Of The Town had the same sound it would be number one for me

greg jones
12-15-2012, 01:54 PM
Andy & George have mentioned on Nightflight that the Farewell was recorded over several nites and most of the record is from earlier in the engagement. Which kind of makes sense because the champagne was supposedly really flowing that last nite. Though, the ending was definitely from the last nite with the presentations by Ed Sullivan and Nevada governor.

zani57
12-15-2012, 02:21 PM
On Jan. 14, 1970, when Diana Ross and The Supremes performed for the last time as a group at the Frontier Hotel in Las Vegas, I was 12 years old and a big DRATS fan. I had seen them in the last half of 1969 at their last Los Angeles concert at the Inglewood Forum with The Jackson Five, Edwin Starr and The Edwin Hawkins Singers. I remember being so disheartened -- at age 12 -- that I couldn't be there, that I actually called The Frontier Hotel in Las Vegas just so I could see if when the operator answered I could hear them in the background! And to feel that somehow I had a connection to that night [[I think my parents might have barked at me for having made a "toll" call to Vegas!).
When the two-LP deluxe set came out, I asked my brother to take me to Tower Records on Sunset and I bought it. I loved many things about it. It was historic. I can still hear Mary saying, "This is Jean Terrell." And The Supremes were now off in a new direction. This version of "Reflections" is one of my favorites [[and Diana says that it is one of her favorites among their hits). It may not have captured them at the top of their game, but their game was the tops. I know Diana was ready to spread her wings, but this performance always holds a special place in my heart. I still have the double-LP set with the commemorative booklet [[and I also house the program from the 1969 concert in L.A. with it).

Jimi LaLumia
12-15-2012, 05:01 PM
I believe it is Diana Ross who calls Jean up to the stage and then says 'here she is, this is the lady,this is Jean Terrell"..at that point, Mary was nowhere near a live mic..

thommg
12-15-2012, 05:15 PM
I believe it is Diana Ross who calls Jean up to the stage and then says 'here she is, this is the lady,this is Jean Terrell"..at that point, Mary was nowhere near a live mic..

Actually, Diana says "This is the lady," and Mary says "This is Jean Terrell." And since Mary says the final "Thank you all so very much." I believe you are extremely mistaken on her being near a live mic.

skooldem1
12-15-2012, 05:25 PM
Here is a picture of Diana and I think Bill Russell from the farewell performance. Can anyone confirm?

skooldem1
12-15-2012, 05:29 PM
Diana's vocals were excellent on that farewell album. Her singing "Didn't we", "The impossible dream" and "Someday" were special, and truly historic performances. As a vocalist she had really grown. That is what makes her voice special. She can really tell a story. There was such depth to her vocal performances on that album.

Jimi LaLumia
12-15-2012, 08:00 PM
Ross says "This Is Jean Terrell"..you do hear Mary say 'hi Jean",and then JEAN TERRELL stands at the mic and says "Thank you all so very much"...that was Jean's moment, not Mary's..listen again, without the tin foil cap on..

bradsupremes
12-15-2012, 09:02 PM
Ross says "This Is Jean Terrell"..you do hear Mary say 'hi Jean",and then JEAN TERRELL stands at the mic and says "Thank you all so very much"...that was Jean's moment, not Mary's..listen again, without the tin foil cap on..

Jimi, Diana says: "This is the lady, my dears" and then Mary says "This is Jean Terrell!" The final "Oh thank you all so very much" is Mary, not Jean. Why would Jean say thank you to the crowd when she just got up on stage? We barely even hear Jean in the background when she greets the ladies on stage.

reese
12-15-2012, 09:49 PM
Here is a picture of Diana and I think Bill Russell from the farewell performance. Can anyone confirm?

This is indeed Bill Russell.

zani57
12-15-2012, 10:35 PM
Thank you, Thom and Brad.
That spoken part is burned in my brain and I know that is Mary saying, "This is Jean Terrell." It sounds nothing like Diana saying those four words.

skooldem1
12-15-2012, 11:02 PM
Any other photos from this historic performance?

davidh
12-16-2012, 12:20 AM
thought there were good points on this album and some not so good. i made a copy without the LET THE SUNSHINE IN . havent listened to this album in years.if and when hipo select revisits it,then i'll have a listen.

Jimi LaLumia
12-16-2012, 01:14 PM
hate to burst your bubble, but I just listened again , and it is Ross who brings Jean up, and in the same high pitch Ross voice she says, This is the lady, my dears, this is Jean Terrell"[['my dears' is a very Ross thing to say).. as she steps in, you do hear Mary in her lower pitch voice[[because Mary DOES have a lower pitched voice) say "Hi, Jean" and then Terrell, in a voice that sounds nothing like Mary Wilson's speaking voice, says "Thank You all so very much" [[she has a reason to say that; there is still applause going for her as she stands in front of the mic..)..and THAT"S The Way It IS!!!..lol..make whatever fantasy land statements that you like,the last word belonged, rightfully so, to the new lead singer as the 'torch was being passed', so to speak,... you'll just have to get over it...

zani57
12-16-2012, 01:48 PM
Dear Mr. LaLumia --
I am in no Fantasy Land. I just listened to it again for the gazillionth time. Diana is being gracious and thanks the fans and then says there is a lady who belongs on the stage and says Jean Terrell's name and says she doesn't know where she is. And then, I'm assuming Jean is walking toward the stage [[there is a photo in the "Farewell" book that show Jean with Diana and Mary and Cindy), and Diana says: "This is the lady, my dears." And then right on the heels of that, the much deeper/husky-voiced, wide-eyed Mary Wilson says, "This is Jean Terrell." It is so clear and distinct that one is Diana and the other is Mary. There is an "Aw, shucks" way that Mary says, "This is Jean Terrell," along with the timbre of her voice, that is definitely nothing like Diana. Yes, the torch was passed, and it was proper for Jean Terrell to be on that stage at the end. But you'll just have to get your hearing checked. Ever try Debrox?

Jimi LaLumia
12-16-2012, 02:42 PM
in this life, there is right and there is wrong....
I am NEVER wrong!!!!...LOL...
I stand by every word in my above post...
[[Ross thanks THE FANS?..the audience was full of business related and Motown related people..)
it's clear that this was the DIANA ROSS SHOW and Mary and Cindy didn't go near a mic unless they were instructed to do so.. it was Diana Ross's ballgame, The Supremes..it still is..

rod_rick
12-16-2012, 03:01 PM
in this life, there is right and there is wrong....
I am NEVER wrong!!!!...LOL...
I stand by every word in my above post...
[[Ross thanks THE FANS?..the audience was full of business related and Motown related people..)
it's clear that this was the DIANA ROSS SHOW and Mary and Cindy didn't go near a mic unless they were instructed to do so.. it was Diana Ross's ballgame, The Supremes..it still is..

Sorry Jimi afraid you are out numbered on this one, it's Mary. Mary says "This is Jean Terrell" in more of a singing voice than a speaking voice. If it were Diana, that statement would have been much louder. Yes it was the Diana Ross show, but Mary and Cindy spoke also, in fact I'd never heard them say so much in a performance before the Farewell show.

Jimi LaLumia
12-16-2012, 03:05 PM
Mary and Cindy spoke 'prepared stage dialogue' during the show, but nothing when they were up on the podium..Berry Gordy was still running this show..
I stand by my statement..

jobeterob
12-16-2012, 03:57 PM
Brad got this one right! In my opinion. But who knows........ But I can't see Jean Terrell speaking that low.

zani57
12-16-2012, 04:12 PM
Jobete Rob --
Brad was agreeing with what I said initially. No one said it was Jean Terrell speaking, JobeteRob. So, of course, you can't see Jean Terrell speaking that low, because it is Mary.

Jimi LaLumia
12-16-2012, 04:45 PM
too funny, you guys are..
you can't see Jean speaking that low..why not?...she was still 'nobody', she had not performed with the group yet,and she was stepping into some very big shoes..she was humble[[not so much a year or two later..)
I stand by my statement...
Mary and Cindy were accessory items..they always were..and they knew it..didn't you read Mary's book?..lol..zany is a proper name in this case..
as if Mary had any reason to say "Thank you all.."
Ross was being given the Queen Of England treatment, and they made a big hub bup about Jean.. Mary and Cindy were wallpaper...sort of like George and Ringo in the Beatles..

jobeterob
12-16-2012, 04:55 PM
I must not have known or understood the real question here!

Mary and Cindy were a lot more wallpaper than Ringo and George were. George and Ringo went on to have #1 hits on their own - huges hits. Mary and Cindy didn't do anything solo and the Supremes struggled to carry on within a couple years, much like Miracles and Pips and Jacksons. This is the real reason behind the "fan upset" over the Supremes and Diana Ross. One got it all and the others, besides Mary, just gave up. Mary struggled and one way or the other perservered, and carved a career of sorts. But the whole process angered a few hundred fans and sent about 5 nuts right over the deep end.

bradsupremes
12-16-2012, 05:11 PM
Jimi, it's Mary at the end. She had every reason to say thank you to the crowd, but maybe you don't like that because you live in Diana Ross fantasy world.

Jimi LaLumia
12-16-2012, 05:37 PM
I stand by the original statement...
it took Mary quite a while to get her voice/act together, she says so herelf, and by then she had burned quite a few bridges..
as to Cindy, well, not everyone has all that it takes to be a front person, if everyone one did, there wouldn't be any wallpaper, would there..

thommg
12-16-2012, 06:12 PM
I stand by the original statement...
it took Mary quite a while to get her voice/act together, she says so herelf, and by then she had burned quite a few bridges..
as to Cindy, well, not everyone has all that it takes to be a front person, if everyone one did, there wouldn't be any wallpaper, would there..

You can believe whatever you want but when something like this is so obvious and you deny it then everything you mention becomes suspect. Your opinion cannot be trusted.

Jimi LaLumia
12-16-2012, 06:23 PM
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions...
however, everyone is not entitled to their own facts
,and we are discussing facts here, not an opinion of who is speaking when, since it happened in the real world,
the correct answer is a FACT, NOT an OPINION..

blueskies
12-16-2012, 06:37 PM
"But the whole process angered a few hundred fans and sent about 5 nuts right over the deep end."
And I might add....right on over to SDF.

supremester
12-16-2012, 07:24 PM
I live in a Diana Ross Fantasy World and:.......it's Jean. She had every reason to say SOMETHING since she just had been publicly introduced to the world in front of a packed room of well wishers and industry people. She was taking over Diana Ross' spot in The Supremes, not delivering pizza - she HAD to say SOMETHING! You can't expect the new star and mouthpiece of The Supremes to just stand there and look at everyone. If Jean had said nothing, Berry would have jumped up and fired her ass on the spot instead of calling poor Mary the next morning. Definitely Jean says, "Oh, thank you all so very MUCH."

marv2
12-16-2012, 07:41 PM
It was Mary Wilson that made the statement "Thank you all very much...." She was choked up when she said it and that is her voice you hear.

marv2
12-16-2012, 07:42 PM
Jimi, it's Mary at the end. She had every reason to say thank you to the crowd, but maybe you don't like that because you live in Diana Ross fantasy world.

Brad you are right. It is Mary Wilson 1000%

supremester
12-16-2012, 07:48 PM
It's true that Mary, Flo & Cindy were more than wallpaper, but what great wallpaper they could be! The sad thing about the few hundred upset fans is that they think ANYONE can be a star. LOL. I loved Flo - everyone did. Back in the day, Mary was a distant third in the group, but Flo wasn't a great vocalist. 3 years of singing People live and she still stinks. Mary is great on her 3 rd verse. If there was 10 cents to be made off Flo or Mary or Cindy, Motown would have done it. There's a reason Mary and the others couldn't get signed - she's not a pop star, pop singer or rock singer. She IS an effective balladeer, however. Sadly, she kept trying to be something she wasn't and now has missed her true calling. Diana Ross is a star. An enduring global star. The biggest star in the history of time and space and oxygen. Ok, I was just giving you something to carp about, but she has, without question, outlived her relationship with Berry, Motown, the teen market and still sells out around the world, in some cases, in countries decades after her last hit. Gordy signed THe Supremes because he saw this rare star potential.
THIS potential, 52 years after signing them, with a broken ankle and enduring pain [[according to those at the taping)
:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTEonH5CcJs [[http://www.facebook.com/l/nAQHWDLy4/www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTEonH5CcJs)

I must not have known or understood the real question here!

Mary and Cindy were a lot more wallpaper than Ringo and George were. George and Ringo went on to have #1 hits on their own - huges hits. Mary and Cindy didn't do anything solo and the Supremes struggled to carry on within a couple years, much like Miracles and Pips and Jacksons. This is the real reason behind the "fan upset" over the Supremes and Diana Ross. One got it all and the others, besides Mary, just gave up. Mary struggled and one way or the other perservered, and carved a career of sorts. But the whole process angered a few hundred fans and sent about 5 nuts right over the deep end.

Jimi LaLumia
12-16-2012, 08:17 PM
there are a handful that think all The Supremes were equal,,they were not and they knew it, which is why Ross was singing 98% of the leads even before they signed with Motown and people started blaming Berry Gordy..
Wilson and Ballard obviously saw that Ross could project that front person charisma, something neither Flo nor Mary [[or Cindy ) had;
you either have IT, or you don't...and they never did, and they knew from the offset that Ross did..and yes,, Jean thanks everyone for the applause after she is brought on stage by Diana Ross!! lead singer to lead singer..so THERE!!!!!...nyah nyah!!!...lol..

blueskies
12-16-2012, 08:45 PM
Yet one more 'millionth' Supremes thread that went into the dumper.

nathanj06
12-17-2012, 08:49 AM
It just came to me. This IS the support group for traumatized Supremes fans. There must be a name for it. Supreme syndrome? Are most of you bedridden? How does one get through the day? It must be hell. :p

dba
12-17-2012, 09:12 AM
Totally agree with blue skies and nathanj06. Some folks really do need to find their own group, maybe on yahoo and let the rest of us enjoy talking about the music.
May I also suggest volunteer work, help others using your endless hours that you spend with pointless augments about something that happened almost 43 years ago

captainjames
12-17-2012, 11:19 AM
So uh like what was this thread about again ?

skooldem1
12-17-2012, 11:27 AM
The thread was to discuss this historic performance and album. Also, for people to post pictures they may have from this performance.

luke
12-17-2012, 12:00 PM
LMAO. Lets fight about some words and then beat everyone up for their opinions. I think it's really Cindy saying it all. She paid Mrs Powell on the side to find a Puppeteer to train her how to project her voice without her lips moving. This way she got more air time and Diana and Mary didnt get mad at her. Everyone always says "Oh wonderful Cindy" but now the truth can be told!!

zani57
12-17-2012, 03:40 PM
This is my last word.
I rarely ever post but mostly lurk and read about new Hip-O/Motown Select releases. If I find something, such as a review, I will post it without comment. I was trying to share my memories -- which are personal -- about the last performance of Diana Ross and The Supremes. I had never told anybody that I called the Frontier Hotel that night in Las Vegas just to see if I might able to hear DRATS in the background. I was 12. It seemed like a cute little personal story. I do not believe I degenerated this thread. I was just trying to make it personal. There are people, who shall remain nameless, who come onto boards like this to "flame." That's what killed the old Motown board. I'm not here to argue. I am here to be with like-minded fans who have fond memories of growing up with The Supremes and the rest of the Motown gang. Thank you. Remember the music.

supremester
12-17-2012, 05:10 PM
Hey Zani - I love your story. I don't know what the problem is, but I enjoy everyone's opinions. Each of us KNOWS we are correct. Your story IS endearing. I used to call The Frontier also and called Miss Ross in Cedars collect from high school when she had Rhonda. R-E-F-U-S-E-D - find out what it means to ME!

My friend Tom just wrote a book The Diva And Her TRibe that is nothing but stories, exactly like yours, from some of Miss Ross' more ardent devotee's... Check it out - you are not alone, dear.

thommg
12-17-2012, 05:16 PM
This is my last word.
I rarely ever post but mostly lurk and read about new Hip-O/Motown Select releases. If I find something, such as a review, I will post it without comment. I was trying to share my memories -- which are personal -- about the last performance of Diana Ross and The Supremes. I had never told anybody that I called the Frontier Hotel that night in Las Vegas just to see if I might able to hear DRATS in the background. I was 12. It seemed like a cute little personal story. I do not believe I degenerated this thread. I was just trying to make it personal. There are people, who shall remain nameless, who come onto boards like this to "flame." That's what killed the old Motown board. I'm not here to argue. I am here to be with like-minded fans who have fond memories of growing up with The Supremes and the rest of the Motown gang. Thank you. Remember the music.

zani57, I didn't call the Frontier Hotel that night but only because I never thought of it! However, every year for about 7 years, on January 14 at 11:54 I would start the albums and listen to the whole show. I was supposed to be sleeping so I played them in my bed with my portable record player above my pillow. It started as a joke but it became something I just did on January 14th every year. It stopped when I went to college and wasn't home one year to play it. They were, and are, my favorite group. From beginning to end, I loved all the variations of line-ups and welcomed each woman into the group. But the original three, Mary, Flo & Diana, were a treasure and it was all three of them I liked watching on television.

luke
12-17-2012, 08:16 PM
Well said zani. Thx for wonderful story and you too thomm.

smark21
12-17-2012, 09:07 PM
too funny, you guys are..
you can't see Jean speaking that low..why not?...she was still 'nobody', she had not performed with the group yet,and she was stepping into some very big shoes..she was humble[[not so much a year or two later..)
I stand by my statement...
Mary and Cindy were accessory items..they always were..and they knew it..didn't you read Mary's book?..lol..zany is a proper name in this case..
as if Mary had any reason to say "Thank you all.."
Ross was being given the Queen Of England treatment, and they made a big hub bup about Jean.. Mary and Cindy were wallpaper...sort of like George and Ringo in the Beatles..

So Mary and Cindy in Diana Ross and the Supremes equals George Harrison and Ringo Starr in the Beatles? Makes sense to me. Those DRATS albums always had 2-3 leads by Mary on songs she composed. Especially liked it when she ditched the Motown sound and recorded some spiritual lyrics with Indian musicians. And of course Mary rocked on lead guitar…she could play that Rickenbacker 12 string. And Cindy always did well on her one lead per album. She was a fine drummer who could keep up a steady beat and she always had the most droll lines in the comedy skits on the GIT special.

Jimi LaLumia
12-17-2012, 09:18 PM
so glad that you see things clearly.. like George, Mary was thrown a bone[[Come and Get These Memories, Falling In Love with Love, Can't Take My Eyes Off of You) and Ringo was, for the most part, wallpaper, like Florence, who was also given her 'thrown bones' back in the day... all Cindy wound up being was a "Rent a Flo"..George and Ringo did well because , while they fought back against the McCartney/Ross style treatment, they didn't do it in public.. if Flo and Mary had 'played ball' at least in the public eye [[which they didn't), Motown /Gordy would have kept them busy, while on a leash..but they wanted to be "DIANA ROSS" ,and they weren't, just as Ringo was not Paul McCartney, so they were, business wise,kicked to the curb.. Welcome to show Biz!!

jobeterob
12-18-2012, 02:21 AM
Jimi boy..........I dont think Mary got "thrown" any bones. The ones she wanted, she took, quite willingly apparently.

supremester
12-18-2012, 06:42 AM
I think you nailed it - kind of. I don't believe Flo wanted to be Diana Ross, I don't get that at all, but I do feel she wanted a chance to shine. Mary's musical amnesia led her to forget that People wasn't taken out of the act - it was there for 3 solid years all led by Flo and a duet with MARY for two. That's Poor Mary who lost her confidence as a singer because she never got any leads. Yes, THAT Mary who happens to NAIL that song at The Roostertail and totally outshine MY very own Flo. I do believe Mary wanted that Miss Rossness - and still does. If Mary was really cool with Miss Ross, she'd give her her props and never does. She's jealous and, after all these years, still bitchy about Lynda - who brought a lot to the group - including Stevie Wonder for that ear bleeding single Bad Weather. Good song, wrong group. If Miss Ross had published this mag, Mary would be angry for not being involved "How could Diane leave me out - AGAIN???" God, I can just hear it LOLOLOLOL

so glad that you see things clearly.. like George, Mary was thrown a bone[[Come and Get These Memories, Falling In Love with Love, Can't Take My Eyes Off of You) and Ringo was, for the most part, wallpaper, like Florence, who was also given her 'thrown bones' back in the day... all Cindy wound up being was a "Rent a Flo"..George and Ringo did well because , while they fought back against the McCartney/Ross style treatment, they didn't do it in public.. if Flo and Mary had 'played ball' at least in the public eye [[which they didn't), Motown /Gordy would have kept them busy, while on a leash..but they wanted to be "DIANA ROSS" ,and they weren't, just as Ringo was not Paul McCartney, so they were, business wise,kicked to the curb.. Welcome to show Biz!!

jobeterob
12-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Mary has exhibited some bad jealousy and anger ~ some of the interviews on Youtube, she probably now regards as embarrassing and regrets their availability.

But generally speaking, I think she has moved on; she has even moved away from alot of the Diana Ross songs that never suited her voice.

It's about 10 fans on Youtube and in a few forums that perpetuate the anger and rudeness; we have one resident nutcase and a second developing.

But Mary Wilson doesn't approve of that and said so.

Diana Ross has a few of them too; somebody on here pointed one out from Youtube and he is no better than the Wilson one we have.

supremester
12-18-2012, 03:37 PM
I was a willing and active participant of The RTL wars of 2000-2002 - the WOW [[Whacked Out Wilsonite) you describe gives Mary the creeps. I only engage him to point out his lies publicly. Not that I care that he's a liar, but he just makes up any shit he wants to support his weak arguments - I can see his attraction to Mary in that department. Mary is a great balladeer and I can see how, given the standard measure of voice back in the day, she and Flo might have been going, "huh?" when Diana went through the roof. Thus, resentment. I've seen Miss Ross approximately 250 times live. I plan to see her another 112 so when I die, I will have spent a year staring glassy-eyed at that beam of light that keeps me fascinated. There's a reason she's a national treasure and a global icon. I saw Mary at Feinsteins a few years ago, there were 18 people in the house. 18. She performed as if she was in a sold out Shea Stadium. She was quite effective on some songs and intolerable on others. I felt sorry for my natural enemy to be playing to 18 people. Even her NY based devoted nut case wasn't there. Sorry I just woke up and forgot the thread so you got my standard Mary ramble [[which is a much toned down version of my Mary RANT) Suffice it to say that now, as more and more of Mary's "claims" are proven untrue, I would think that she would have a hard time getting more devotees in training. So much of their anti Ross thoughts are based on a house of cards. I do love this forum and fights about who said "Thank you all so very MUCH" [[the essence of my being) the fights - FIGHTS - over who sang on Stop or Merry Christmas......AVON Calling!

Mary has exhibited some bad jealousy and anger ~ some of the interviews on Youtube, she probably now regards as embarrassing and regrets their availability.

But generally speaking, I think she has moved on; she has even moved away from alot of the Diana Ross songs that never suited her voice.

It's about 10 fans on Youtube and in a few forums that perpetuate the anger and rudeness; we have one resident nutcase and a second developing.

But Mary Wilson doesn't approve of that and said so.

Diana Ross has a few of them too; somebody on here pointed one out from Youtube and he is no better than the Wilson one we have.

jobeterob
12-18-2012, 06:34 PM
Good post.

I saw the Supremes in 1968 and have seen Diana 4 times; all great shows.

Mary has perservered and she has a career of sorts. I think if most of us were her, we wouldn't have done much better in the jealousy and bitterness department. Mary learned very well from Berry and with Diana how to conduct herself and how to put on a good show. She just has a very pedestrian voice and was never able to attract a record deal or record songs that ever sold or were hits.

But she was a Supreme and that made for a very storied and glorious history. She has many reasons to be thankful to Diana. Lending her money was a minor one. Giving her a place in history is the big one.