PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross - Baby It's Me/Ross 78 SHM Japan Series Remasters Review

test

Glenpwood
12-13-2012, 12:56 PM
Although I do feel guilty for temporarily cheating on George and Andy by purchasing the "Baby It's Me" and "Ross 78" SHM Japan reissues I decided to give them a whirl because Universal Japan did such a nice job with the Olivia Newton John album box. [[I promise to buy 3 copies each of the Hip-O Select versions next year as pennance). From a packaging standpoint it copies the ONJ's with the faithful replication of the LP jackets, simple silver SHM disc itself, lyric booklet in Japanese and English, and in the case of Baby It's Me the original inner sleeve insert. They were mastered by Shingeki Fujino and have a nice clean sound. I will listen more intently and A/B them vs. the original US pressing tonight. The lyric book has typical flaws in the translation to English. My fave being the "Hello there, FOOD old friend of mine" from Come In From The Rain. Perhaps the translator thought Diana was singing to the cake from Mac Arthur Park. LOL While I highly reccomend/insist on waiting for the Deluxe versions since they will cost the same money [[possibly less) and have tons more content [[and the remastering touch of Kevin Reeves)these are a pleasant stop-gap until the real thing arrives in 2013.

whitesoxx
12-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Although I do feel guilty for temporarily cheating on George and Andy by purchasing the "Baby It's Me" and "Ross 78" SHM Japan reissues

I, too, ordered both after hearing that the sound quality is good. I don't consider it cheating at all, they are not bootlegs and there's a been a huge demand for these releases. Hip-O's "Baby It's Me" is apparently ready so their release date could have been moved forward. And if their release schedule is like this year's with only one Diana Ross solo title becoming available, it could mean "Ross" won't come out until 2014...

Of course I'll buy the Hip-O remasters when they do come out. But for now, these Japanese releases that look and sound good will keep me groovin' over the Christmas period and beyond!

jack020
12-14-2012, 04:05 AM
Until BIM comes out as a deluxe version, I will be playing my old twofer of BIM/TMITM.:D

longtimefan
12-14-2012, 07:29 AM
For us collectors and completists, does anyone know where there is a slip box available to hold all 10 of these new Japanese releases by Diana Ross -- like there was for the 10 Supremes' releases? Thanks!!! :o

alanbill1074
12-14-2012, 11:27 AM
My copy of "Ross" hasn't arrived yet, even though I ordered it first, but "Baby It's Me" and "Last Time I Saw Him" have.

The packaging is very beautiful and I loved the fact that BIM has a replica inner sleeve in there.

Sound wise, BIM is very clear and detailed, moreso than the original pressing I have with the cream border around it, although I have to say that the original pressing has a warmth to it, so it will be staying in my collection. LTISH sounded similar, although I felt it was a bit too bright at times, with "Sleepin'" being the main culprit. My system is still quite new though so it could be part of the reason for the brightness.

This year though I have come to discover that Japanese pressings really aren't the be-all-and-end-all when it comes to quality manufacture of CDs. I wasted £75 on two Wax UK ones a month ago, supposedly 24 bit remastered when actually the album tracks were taken off the old CDs and had no work done on them at all, and all the bonus tracks were ripped of poor quality vinyl that sounded like it had been picked out of a bargain bin. Absolutely shocking job and I felt robbed. That's really soured me on buying Japanese pressings, which, with import duties, are incredibly expensive.

So, although the Diana ones are beautifully packaged, I'm going to resist the temptation to buy all of them because I'm pretty sure all the others that have recently been re-issued in the USA will be as good, if not better, than the Japanese ones. Still nice to have my favourite 70s albums in the little replica sleeves though.

revup64
12-14-2012, 11:48 AM
I received my copy of "Ross" this week and am very happy with it. I hated spending so much on it, but until I see a release date + track listing for a Hip-O pressing, I'm not passing up the opportunity to finally have this on cd. When/if the deluxe version is released, it will be interesting to compare the mastering, since each will be unique.

I have a prior Japanese release of "Baby It's Me," so I don't mind waiting for Hip-O for that one.

davidh
12-14-2012, 10:32 PM
last year, the DIANA ROSS 1976 lp was released soon after the first of the year with the supremes Copa cd coming out early summer.i am hoping that they are sticking to that schedule.

lakedistrictlad1
12-18-2012, 06:26 AM
For us collectors and completists, does anyone know where there is a slip box available to hold all 10 of these new Japanese releases by Diana Ross -- like there was for the 10 Supremes' releases? Thanks!!! :o

longtimefan - Yes there is - You'll need to break open your piggy bank!!

http://www.cdbanq.com/Diana-Ross--2012-Japan-Mini-LP-10-SHM-CD-Set-Promo-Box-Japan-LTD-Mini-LP-SHM-CD-UICY-75381SB_p_103624.html

jack020
12-20-2012, 03:23 AM
See the review from Second Disc:
http://theseconddisc.com/2012/12/19/in-case-you-missed-it-lovin-livin-and-givin-with-ross/

alanbill1074
12-20-2012, 05:52 AM
My copy has now arrived, after being flung around the UK postal service for a week, and I am delighted with it. The sound is crystal clear, with good volume and dynamics without going OTT. Definitely the best sounding of the three re-issues I have bought.

So good to finally have this album on CD although I would happily support the Hip-o re-issue too.

zani57
12-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Here is today's [[Dec. 20, 2012) review from The Second Disc blog --

http://theseconddisc.com/2012/12/19/in-case-you-missed-it-lovin-livin-and-givin-with-ross/

revup64
02-15-2013, 06:01 PM
cdjapan is showing the "Ross" cd as already being out of print

RossHolloway
02-15-2013, 06:30 PM
I can't believe there are only 2 DR album left that can be expanded. I hope UM will consider her Live albums for expanded release too.

skooldem1
02-15-2013, 06:54 PM
There have got to be some unreleased tracks from "The Boss". Even if there aren't any unreleased tracks, I want to hear alternate versions. Same goes for her first album. I'd love to hear alternate versions of "Aint no mountain", "Reach out" and "I wouldn't change the man". Both of these albums are strong. Hearing alternate versions would be cool. What about "Diana sings songs from the Wiz"? How many tracks did she complete?

To stay even more relevant, I think Hipo must get into video and release albums with DVD's. Many of todays artist release deluxe CD's with videos.

alanbill1074
02-16-2013, 03:56 PM
I can't believe there are only 2 DR album left that can be expanded. I hope UM will consider her Live albums for expanded release too.

There's also "Workin Overtime" to "Every Day Is A New Day". All of those later albums also deserve to be re-visited. I'd rate most of those over her 70s albums any day, especially the live ones. Her '89 live album was much better IMO.

revup64
03-19-2013, 12:01 PM
cdjapan is showing the "Ross" cd as already being out of print

With "Baby It's Me" being delayed by Universal/Hip-O, does this push "Ross" up in the queue or delay it further? I suspect the latter will be the case.

Glenpwood
03-19-2013, 09:19 PM
The impression is the whole Ross series is on hold for the moment not that Baby has clearance issues....

davidh
03-22-2013, 09:20 AM
perhaps the ROSS releases from last year have not sold out ,and they r waiting [[holding) the BABY ITS ME back from release. we did get three releases last year. but it seems we r back to the delays yet again.
if anyone is interested i just checked ITUNES and BABY IT'S ME is now,finally up for download. i think this gives us all the motown /ross solo albums except ROSS 78.

waldo
04-20-2013, 09:30 PM
been playing this Ross mini lp allllllllll day.. so nice to have.. so glad i've got it..