PDA

View Full Version : Temptations: Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award

test

skooldem1
12-12-2012, 08:28 PM
The Temptations will be the recipient of the Grammy Lifetime Achievement award.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2012/12/12/grammy-lifetime-achievement-awards/1764167/

jobeterob
12-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Excellent!

Wonder if only Otis will accept! Or a barrage of estate representatives.

marv2
12-12-2012, 08:43 PM
The Temptations will be the recipient of the Grammy Lifetime Achievement award.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2012/12/12/grammy-lifetime-achievement-awards/1764167/

Excellent news. They deserve it.

marv2
12-12-2012, 08:46 PM
Excellent!

Wonder if only Otis will accept! Or a barrage of estate representatives.

You mean FAMILY MEMBERS of deceased members of the group.

reese
12-12-2012, 08:52 PM
Congrats to Otis and the guys. Too bad Ravi Shankar just missed receiving his.

jobeterob
12-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Having unveiled Grammy nominations last week, the Recording Academy announced its Special Merit Awards on Wednesday. Internationally renowned sitarist Ravi Shankar, who died Tuesday, is among the artists who will receive this year's Lifetime Achievement Award.

Other recipients of that honor will include classical pianist Glenn Gould, jazz musician Charlie Haden, country/blues singer/songwriter Lightnin' Hopkins, pop troubadour Carole King, singer Patti Page and R&B group the Temptations.

In addition, Alan and Marilyn Bergman, Leonard and Phil Chess and Alan Livingston will receive the Trustees Award; and Ikutaro Kakehashi and Dave Smith and Royer Labs have earned the Technical Grammy Award.

smark21
12-12-2012, 09:20 PM
Can’t argue with any of these recipients. Hopefully one day The Supremes [[all line ups from 61-77) will be honored.

milven
12-12-2012, 09:49 PM
As a Motown fan, I'm glad that the Temps are finally acknowledged, saddened that the Supremes are consistently passed over, sad that Ravi passed and can not accept his honor, and ecstatic that Miss Patti Page finally got recognized by the Grammies. Her peek years spanned the era from big band through rock and roll. She had fifteen million selling songs.
When rock & roll music became popular during the second half of the 1950s, Patti was one of the few traditional pop music singers to continue to thrive.

She was on one the PBS specials five years ago and was about 79 or eighty already. She sounded and looked terrific. Gives us hope for our current aging divas. Here's a clip, which may seem out of place on the SDF board, but some of us love all kinds of music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhSJQY7HnPw

Roberta75
12-13-2012, 12:40 AM
The First Lady of Motown Records deserves a Garry Lifetime Achievement Award.
I will write to the Grammy people at NARAS this weekend. Miss Martha Reeves should get this lifetime Grammy in 2014. If Diane Ross and the Temptations can get one then so should the First Lady of Motown Records.

Roberta

arrr&bee
12-13-2012, 01:49 PM
Great news i hope that all the living ex-temps will be invited-richard-louis-damon-glenn-dennis and all the names i can't recall...temptations forever!!

StuBass1
12-13-2012, 07:28 PM
Grammys represent recording arts and accomplishments and I'd have to say that other than Otis and Dennis, none of the later day Temptation fill ins and replacements were who NARAS had in mind when they honored them with the award, as capable as those guys were.

jobeterob
12-13-2012, 07:46 PM
So Stu, will we have Otis? Or will we have Otis, and various spouses, children, and executors? Will we have Dennis?

StuBass1
12-13-2012, 09:08 PM
I'd certainly expect Dennis, Rob. He sang lead on some of their biggest hits and if I'm not mistaken sang lead on their first Grammy winning hit. As for family members? Thats a tough one...who appears and who doesn't, with multiple wives, kids from many different moms, and most parents of Tempts obviously deceased.

Jimi LaLumia
12-13-2012, 10:24 PM
well, they don't appear on the actual show, anyway..last year, Diana Ross recieved this and they just simply announced it, they didn't present it on the broadcast...

reese
12-13-2012, 10:44 PM
This year, the Lifetime Achievement Award ceremony was viewable on line. Hopefully, next year's ceremony will be as well.

StuBass1
12-13-2012, 10:50 PM
The Special awards like the Lifetime Achievement Awards are presented the night before the actual telecast at the nominees dinner followed by the Clive Davis party traditionally. During the actual Grammy telecast they have on occassion honored or even tributed an LTA awardee. If they go with a Soul music theme this year then they may indeed tribute The Tempts but the show themes and planning begin many months before decisions are made for Lifetime Achievement or Trustees awards are decided on.

midnightman
12-14-2012, 08:47 PM
Otis, Dennis and the surviving families of Paul, David, Eddie and Melvin will accept, I hope.