PDA

View Full Version : "Nightflight" Tue Dec 11, 9P-12M ET: Andante Louvain Demps...LIVE!!!

test

midnight johnny
12-11-2012, 09:44 AM
Hello Girls and Guys!!! Tonight...a MOST exciting show for me. I have had many Motown guests who generously shared stories of their careers with Motown, but never a guest who professionally and, many times, personally touched the careers and lives of so many Motown artists during Motown's heyday. Tonight, on "Nightflight", I am honored to have live with me soprano Louvain Demps, member of Motown's Rayber Voices, and then, along with Jackie Hicks and Marlene Barrow created one of the most important and enduring elements of The Motown Sound...the Andantes!
There was virtually no credit given to the Andantes at the time for their background vocal performances on Motown records....the number of Andantes performances recorded for many other Motown artists are estimated as between 10,000-20,000...not to mention the many number one hits on which they sang!
So please join me tonight, as I welcome a member of my FAVORITE Motown group...the Andantes' Louvain Demps...on "Nightflight"...on WOMR 92.1 FM Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and we stream live in digital stereo at www.womr.org [[http://www.womr.org/)
Thanks so much...and Happy Holidays....MY Christmas present has arrived early!
John
PS...no phone calls tonight, please....I will be talking with Louvain on the phone.
And please feel free to post your questions for Louvain here on this thread...Louvain has agreed most generously
to answer them if she can...be NICE , Folks! Thanks!
Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston and
literally backing them up...the Andantes!
from L...Marlene, Louvain and Jackie...the Andantes!

MotownSteve
12-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Hi John,
I'll do my best to be there. Sounds like a wonderful show!

midnight johnny
12-11-2012, 01:50 PM
Thanks, Steve!! Hope you can make it!

jobeterob
12-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Awesome. Another excellent guest.

Draw to her attention that Skurow/Solomon say in the Supremes 50th Anniversary CD about Stop in the Name of Love and ask her what her version of the events surrounding the recording of Stop in the Name of Love are.

I hope I can catch some of this!

Well done.

skooldem1
12-11-2012, 02:24 PM
I don't know if I will be able to catch this. I will try to at least catch a little. Can you thank her for all her hard work and beautiful vocals, and also ask if she recalls what TV Special or performance that they sang behind the curtain for the Supremes.

R. Mark Desjardins
12-11-2012, 03:59 PM
John, no doubt this edition of Nightflight will be a controversial one for sure. You have a way of disarming your guests with your charm, and hopefully you will get Louvain Demps to reveal more than was shared in the book, "Motown From The Background," It is important to remember that these ladies were working to support themselves and are not villains in any way. Maybe they have some insights into why Berry Gordy sweetened the sound on the recordings of the groups he chose to have them add their vocals to. This is one program I definitely want to catch in its entirety!

floyjoy678
12-11-2012, 04:24 PM
I too would like to hear Louvain's take on the whole "Stop! In the name of Love" controversy. Also with "You Can't Hurry Love"...that too was the Andantes right?

JimBagley
12-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Have a great time with Louvain tonight, John.

Jim

midnight johnny
12-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Awesome. Another excellent guest.

Draw to her attention that Skurow/Solomon say in the Supremes 50th Anniversary CD about Stop in the Name of Love and ask her what her version of the events surrounding the recording of Stop in the Name of Love are.

I hope I can catch some of this!

Well done.

Thanks Rob...hope you get to hear some of it!

midnight johnny
12-11-2012, 05:48 PM
John, no doubt this edition of Nightflight will be a controversial one for sure. You have a way of disarming your guests with your charm, and hopefully you will get Louvain Demps to reveal more than was shared in the book, "Motown From The Background," It is important to remember that these ladies were working to support themselves and are not villains in any way. Maybe they have some insights into why Berry Gordy sweetened the sound on the recordings of the groups he chose to have them add their vocals to. This is one program I definitely want to catch in its entirety!

Thanks Mark....glad you will be listening!

sophisticated_soul
12-11-2012, 05:50 PM
Hey John, looking forward to your interview with Louvain Demps. I know it will be another excellent exchange as you always treat your special quests with the utmost respect. I admire Louvain for doing the interview and I thank you for coiming up with the idea and making it happen. See you on the Radiola, mi amigo.

midnight johnny
12-11-2012, 05:50 PM
I too would like to hear Louvain's take on the whole "Stop! In the name of Love" controversy. Also with "You Can't Hurry Love"...that too was the Andantes right?

floyjoy....I will bring up "Stop...." and "You Can't Hurry Love"....glad you'll be listening!

midnight johnny
12-11-2012, 05:51 PM
Have a great time with Louvain tonight, John.

Jim

Thanks, jim...hope you can listen!

midnight johnny
12-11-2012, 05:54 PM
Hey John, looking forward to your interview with Louvain Demps. I know it will be another excellent exchange as you always treat your special quests with the utmost respect. I admire Louvain for doing the interview and I thank you for coiming up with the idea and making it happen. See you on the Radiola, mi amigo.

Joseph...glad you'll be listening, my friend....and thank you!

Methuselah2
12-11-2012, 05:54 PM
My, my, my. How excited am I about tonight's show! What a treat this will, no doubt, be. Having been a Motown fan right from the company's inception, I've known about The Andantes for a long time but I never paid them much attention. My focus had been focused on the featured artists, writers, and those remarkably tuneful tunes. But listening to your great NIGHTLIGHT show week after week--and hearing your superlative extended remixes, as well--corrected that forever because of your deep admiration and acknowledgement of The Andantes and your insight and analysis--and unbridled love!--into their contribution and importance to those recordings. The Andantes, for me, came to be what I saw as the human equivalent of violins--as vital and integral to the Motown Sound as the Detroit Symphony Orchestra's strings. Both The Andantes and the DSO strings produced the same effect: Lasting beauty. It has never diminished. It never will.

midnight johnny
12-11-2012, 06:31 PM
My, my, my. How excited am I about tonight's show! What a treat this will, no doubt, be. Having been a Motown fan right from the company's inception, I've known about The Andantes for a long time but I never paid them much attention. My focus had been focused on the featured artists, writers, and those remarkably tuneful tunes. But listening to your great NIGHTLIGHT show week after week--and hearing your superlative extended remixes, as well--corrected that forever because of your deep admiration and acknowledgement of The Andantes and your insight and analysis--and unbridled love!--into their contribution and importance to those recordings. The Andantes, for me, came to be what I saw as the human equivalent of violins--as vital and integral to the Motown Sound as the Detroit Symphony Orchestra's strings. Both The Andantes and the DSO strings produced the same effect: Lasting beauty. It has never diminished. It never will.

Bruce....that's very lovely....thank you! Glad you'll be listening!

Methuselah2
12-11-2012, 06:53 PM
Bruce....that's very lovely....thank you! Glad you'll be listening!

Listening? Make that DEVOURING. It feels like we're about to go--with you and Louvain--INTO THE VAULTS! I'm not kidding--it really does. The joy and wonders of your NIGHTFLIGHT show--and it's overwhelming uniqueness--just never let up. It's gotta be that host. It's just gotta be. But I don't wanna point the finger. So, I won't.

Methuselah2
12-11-2012, 07:04 PM
QUESTION FOR LOUVAIN:

Were The Andantes under a written contract with Motown--and, if so, were there outside-job restrictions placed on them as there were with The Funk Bros.?

Methuselah2
12-11-2012, 07:10 PM
QUESTION FOR LOUVAIN:

Restrictions or not, I've heard that The Andantes are the back-up on Frank Sinatra's THAT'S LIFE. Is that true?

Methuselah2
12-11-2012, 07:23 PM
QUESTION FOR LOUVAIN:

There's been much debate over the back-up of The Supremes' ANY GIRL IN LOVE [[KNOWS WHAT I'M GOING THROUGH). My ear says it's Mary and Flo; others hear The Andantes. Any word about this?

And were The Andantes ever directed to sound like a special person or group members on a recording--and, if so, do you recall the instances?

Methuselah2
12-11-2012, 07:31 PM
QUESTION FOR LOUVAIN:

Did any recording artist or group ever object to having The Andantes being added to their recording? I've heard that Florence Ballard was not happy about this being done on THE HAPPENING. Do you recall that this was, in fact, done and that Flo raised objection or concern about it?

Methuselah2
12-11-2012, 07:35 PM
QUESTION FOR LOUVAIN:

What was it like working with HDH? Smokey? Ashford & Simpson? Clarence Paul? And the other remarkable producers?

Methuselah2
12-11-2012, 07:41 PM
QUESTION FOR LOUVAIN:

Could you discuss how you felt about working with The Four Tops, especially considering your numerous HDH recordings of their released singles?

And do The Andantes appear on IT'S THE SAME OLD SONG?

Methuselah2
12-11-2012, 07:43 PM
QUESTION FOR LOUVAIN:

Did The Andantes provide the vocals on demos at Motown?

Methuselah2
12-11-2012, 07:47 PM
QUESTION FOR LOUVAIN:

Any memories about [[LIKE A) NIGHTMARE and the use of and decision for a non-Andante lead vocal by Ann Bogan?

Methuselah2
12-11-2012, 07:54 PM
QUESTION FOR LOUVAIN:

The Supremes' LOVE IS HEAR AND NOW YOU'RE GONE.
I've always loved the very beginning of that recording--the lovely soprano voices that herald the start of that great tune with those beautiful introductory notes. Was that The Andantes, the fabulous, remarkable Andantes?

theboyfromxtown
12-11-2012, 07:59 PM
John

I know I keep asking...can you record this and put it somewhere so that the likes of us in the UK can hear it later.

What are each of the ladies' favourite moments?

Methuselah2
12-11-2012, 08:02 PM
QUESTION FOR LOUVAIN:

The name LOUVAIN is such a beautiful one. Can you tell us a bit about it?

And when you first started singing?

And how you met, and started singing with, Jackie and Marlene?

Methuselah2
12-11-2012, 08:06 PM
QUESTION FOR LOUVAIN:

Were The Andantes part of the "Motown 25" festivities? My understanding is that The Funk Bros. were not--and I never understood that.

midnight johnny
12-11-2012, 08:44 PM
John

I know I keep asking...can you record this and put it somewhere so that the likes of us in the UK can hear it later.

What are each of the ladies' favourite moments?

John....I record most all of these important shows...and they go up on www.womr.org [[http://www.womr.org/) in the podcast section on the left of the home page. There's nothing of mine in there right now....but this show will go up as soon as possible. I can ask Louvain HER favorite moment....I only have one Andante with me tonight....
I think if i had 3...that would be the end of me!

Methuselah2
12-11-2012, 08:58 PM
QUESTION FOR LOUVAIN:

Do you have a favorite Motown recording that The Andantes appear on?

If someone asked me to show them what exactly The Andantes could do to a recording, without hesitation--WITHOUT THE SLIGHTEST HESITATION--I would play for them The Marvelettes' THIS NIGHT [[or TONIGHT) WAS MADE FOR LOVE. With Gladys Horton on lead and the rest of the marvelous Marvelettes with her, this is a superb recording. Gladys is in top form, as is everyone. But that celestial choir that weaves in and out and around through the entire piece--by way of The Andantes--is an absolutely sensational touch. A true sensation. It's as if The Andantes have kissed the melody, caressed it with their voices. It's that Andantes' touch of immense finesse. And it's gorgeous.

Methuselah2
12-11-2012, 09:04 PM
QUESTION FOR LOUVAIN:

Did The Andantes ever accompany the Motortown Revues?

Methuselah2
12-11-2012, 09:10 PM
QUESTION FOR LOUVAIN:

Besides Jackie and Marlene, was there anyone else at Motown that you felt close to?

Did you feel a sense of 'family' there as some others have expressed in the past?

Methuselah2
12-11-2012, 09:19 PM
QUESTION FOR LOUVAIN:

Did you have a manager while at Motow?

Could you discuss your audition?
Who was there?
Who made your hiring decision?

theboyfromxtown
12-11-2012, 09:26 PM
You might want to play "Exodus" by the Originals

Listen to the intro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmle8VPixxc

lovechild
12-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Hi JP Looking forward to an evening with the lovely Louvain :) what a great show this is going to be ....

Methuselah2
12-11-2012, 09:33 PM
QUESTION FOR LOUVAIN:

THE RETURN OF THE MARVELETTES album.

I'd be interested to hear about the recording of this, particularly because The jAndantes sound so terrific on it. As does Wanda Rogers as solo artist at the actual time of the recording. Was an album ever more incorrectly named [[although deliberately for name-recognition purposes)?

Methuselah2
12-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Sorry for all the questions, friends.
I'm just very revved up about tonight's show.
Very exciting.

I'm done.

For the time-being.

midnight johnny
12-11-2012, 09:47 PM
Hi JP Looking forward to an evening with the lovely Louvain :) what a great show this is going to be ....

Hey Tony!!! Glad you are here!!!

midnight johnny
12-11-2012, 09:48 PM
Sorry for all the questions, friends.
I'm just very revved up about tonight's show.
Very exciting.

I'm done.

For the time-being.

Well...they DO have pills for that [[*grin)!

midnight johnny
12-11-2012, 09:50 PM
....in the studio.....ohh mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Methuselah2
12-11-2012, 09:55 PM
Well...they DO have pills for that [[*grin)!

A pizza would do the trick, actually.
Works quicker.

Glenpwood
12-11-2012, 09:57 PM
Have a great show John, I know you'll get all the great info us fans wanna know!

midnight johnny
12-11-2012, 09:57 PM
Yeah...but you'd get pizza stains on this thread.....

midnight johnny
12-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Have a great show John, I know you'll get all the great info us fans wanna know!

Hey there Glen....great to see you!!

rod_rick
12-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Hey there Glen....great to see you!!

Can somebody post the link so I can catch the show

rod_rick
12-11-2012, 10:08 PM
I have a question also. In Louvain opinion what Motown girlgroup had the best harmony.

theboyfromxtown
12-11-2012, 10:13 PM
John

Are you sure "Trapped" is a Detroit recording?

carole cucumber
12-11-2012, 10:16 PM
http://www.womr.org/

theboyfromxtown
12-11-2012, 10:21 PM
John

Tell Louvain to shout, some of us are listening over 4000 miles away!!!

bradsupremes
12-11-2012, 10:22 PM
So excited to hear this interview with Louvain.

rod_rick
12-11-2012, 10:39 PM
Telma Hopkins of Dawn said she was on this recording. Was she part of the Andantes?

Methuselah2
12-11-2012, 10:41 PM
Can somebody post the link so I can catch the show

Here you are, Rod:

www.womr.org

sophisticated_soul
12-11-2012, 10:44 PM
John

Tell Louvain to shout, some of us are listening over 4000 miles away!!!

Good to see you again, John:)

theboyfromxtown
12-11-2012, 10:46 PM
John

Can you ask about their work with Staunton Walker and Robert Dobyne please. Tommy Good, Brenda Holloway etc

theboyfromxtown
12-11-2012, 10:47 PM
Joe.....I'm in bed ready to drop off asleep at any minute but then I have a question so I have to get out of bed.

sophisticated_soul
12-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Joe.....I'm in bed ready to drop off asleep at any minute but then I have a question so I have to get out of bed.

Hang in there John. This is a historical interview!:cool:

ivyfield
12-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Well my Wednesday mornings are wiped out now! I can't function until about 2PM on Wednesdays after listening in. This show is GREAT tonight John. How unsung are the Andantes eh? Please tell her Steve Weaver sends a big kiss and hug from the very cold UK.
QUESTION: Did she sing on 'Up The Ladder' and/or 'Stoned'..? I'd LOVE to know!
Steve.x

rod_rick
12-11-2012, 11:01 PM
Did the Andantes do any of the demos?

johnjeb
12-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Loving this interview.

Question for Louvain:

Is there a song which you recorded the background that you were sure was going to be a hit and wasn't and one that you didn't think had a chance that did hit it big?

carole cucumber
12-11-2012, 11:06 PM
No disrespect, but the Andantes office was probably a small room.

bradsupremes
12-11-2012, 11:15 PM
Questions for Louvain:

Does she recall or remember a song that was vocally challenging for the Andantes?

With the recent news of the class of 2013 Rock Hall inductees I am pulling for the Andantes to be inducted in the Sidemen category. They are most deserving to be included.

carole cucumber
12-11-2012, 11:23 PM
Johnny,
Is there any info supplied with the Dennis Edwards track that you're playing ? The intro sounded very Invictus-like....

rod_rick
12-11-2012, 11:39 PM
Did the Up The Laddr To The Roof and Stoned Love question get answered if so what was it?

rod_rick
12-11-2012, 11:45 PM
Hearing this version of Fancy Passes I would say that the Andantes sound most like the Supremes.

sophisticated_soul
12-11-2012, 11:50 PM
Fascinating interview John. Very cool.:cool:

sophisticated_soul
12-11-2012, 11:52 PM
I was sure it was The Supremes on Barbara's "Fancy Passes", too! Live and learn.:)

Ryon6
12-11-2012, 11:58 PM
Hello MJ and Louvain. I'm here from the ATL. Joined while you were playing "Fancy Passes". Enjoying myself very much. Always when listening to MOTOWN :cool:

Tyrone

theboyfromxtown
12-12-2012, 12:00 AM
Was the studio United Sound Studio

Crying TIme is surely not a Detroit Hitsville Recording. Ask Louvain point blank if that is the Andantes on Crying TIme - I doubt it. More likely Edna Wright, Patrice Holloway and others

MotownSteve
12-12-2012, 12:22 AM
The way the Andantes sing the title is so heavenly. Like nothing else I've ever heard.

rod_rick
12-12-2012, 12:22 AM
Did the Andantes do any of the Miracles backing vocals? How is Louvains relationship with Claudette Robinson considering Somkey used them often on his productions

theboyfromxtown
12-12-2012, 12:27 AM
John

Come Round Here [[I'm The One You Need)

Ryon6
12-12-2012, 12:30 AM
Baby I'm for Real or God Bless Whoever Sent You - songs by the Originals

Methuselah2
12-12-2012, 12:33 AM
QUESTION FOR LOUVAIN:

Was the Miracles' tune I GOTTA DANCE TO KEEP FROM CRYING with The Andantes?

rod_rick
12-12-2012, 12:38 AM
Did the Andantes do any of the Miracles backing vocals? How is Louvains relationship with Claudette Robinson considering Somkey used them often on his productions
Thanks for asking my question regarding Louvain relationship with Claudette.

theboyfromxtown
12-12-2012, 12:41 AM
Tommy Good Baby I Miss You. She's A Living Doll...

theboyfromxtown
12-12-2012, 12:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyfUZ7jhOWs

theboyfromxtown
12-12-2012, 12:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2f6MCVswsM

rod_rick
12-12-2012, 12:48 AM
For those who listened, did they mention anything regarding Up The Ladder to The Roof and Stoned Love?

carole cucumber
12-12-2012, 12:50 AM
For those who listened, did they mention anything regarding Up The Ladder to The Roof and Stoned Love?
No mention

Methuselah2
12-12-2012, 12:51 AM
Oh, what a night!
Louvain was just charming.
And the conversation with her was charmed.
I was completely enthralled.
Thank you so much, John.
I can't wait for next week's concluding part.
And thanks so much for getting to my questions.

sophisticated_soul
12-12-2012, 12:56 AM
Louvain, Thank You so much for sharing your memories and insights into the music we all love and cherish so, and to which The Andantes were a most integral part. Looking forward to Part Two. Thanks again. You were awesome!:)

lovechild
12-12-2012, 12:58 AM
Thank you John for a great show. can hardly wait for next Tuesday. Have a great week :)

MotownSteve
12-12-2012, 01:01 AM
Thanks for a great show.

rod_rick
12-12-2012, 01:08 AM
John, that was a great remix of Up The Ladder To The Roof. Is It on youtube?

R. Mark Desjardins
12-12-2012, 01:35 AM
John;
An absolutely riveting radio program with your guest this evening, Louvain Demps. The Andantes were surely one of the best kept secret musical weapons at Motown during it's hit making heyday. They had the voices that any other record company would have gladly had on their roster, if Berry Gordy hadn't kept us all in the dark for so long. I really hope that their talent can be officially recognized in the near future. Thank you for your foresight to make this interview happen and I look forward to hearing even more "secrets from the snakepit."

ivyfield
12-12-2012, 06:46 AM
WOW! Great idea - let me know how I can vote for that one Brad...

Questions for Louvain:

Does she recall or remember a song that was vocally challenging for the Andantes?

With the recent news of the class of 2013 Rock Hall inductees I am pulling for the Andantes to be inducted in the Sidemen category. They are most deserving to be included.

ivyfield
12-12-2012, 06:52 AM
I hope I can say for all of us 'Nightflighters' that last night's show was EXCEPTIONAL! How great that Louvain stayed for over 2 hours. Boy, I'd LOVE to take her to breakfast/lunch/dinner tho one day wouldn't be enough for me. I've got so many questions. She sounds like a really nice lady - completely 'Diva-free' and yet SHE sang on more tracks than any other individual Motown star. She deserves credit for that. Long overdue. I'm really looking forward to next Tuesday's show. RIGHT ON! Steve.

midnight johnny
12-12-2012, 07:30 AM
John

Can you ask about their work with Staunton Walker and Robert Dobyne please. Tommy Good, Brenda Holloway etc

John....as you probably heard....Louvain couldn't remember who Walker and Dobyne were. She said that most of the time, the Andantes worked with little information [[didn't necessarily know the writers, etc). For next week can you give a bit more information in your question. Thanks!

midnight johnny
12-12-2012, 07:34 AM
Well my Wednesday mornings are wiped out now! I can't function until about 2PM on Wednesdays after listening in. This show is GREAT tonight John. How unsung are the Andantes eh? Please tell her Steve Weaver sends a big kiss and hug from the very cold UK.
QUESTION: Did she sing on 'Up The Ladder' and/or 'Stoned'..? I'd LOVE to know!
Steve.x

Steve....glad you're able to listen...even though it's ruining your life.Thank you! I will let Louvain knowyour sentiments....
Louvain told me that the ANdantes did sing on "Up The Ladder...."...not sure about "Stoned....".
Please re-ask the question on next weeks thread, if you will. Thanks!

midnight johnny
12-12-2012, 07:35 AM
Did the Andantes do any of the demos?

Rod....nope!

midnight johnny
12-12-2012, 07:38 AM
Loving this interview.

Question for Louvain:

Is there a song which you recorded the background that you were sure was going to be a hit and wasn't and one that you didn't think had a chance that did hit it big?

John...glad you could listen in....and thanks!! Sorry I missed your great question...please repost it on next weeks'thread , if you will!

midnight johnny
12-12-2012, 07:42 AM
Questions for Louvain:

Brad....a GREAT question! Sorry I didn't get to it...please repost on next week's thread if you would!
You are SO right about the Andantes deserving the "sidemen" honors!!!

midnight johnny
12-12-2012, 07:48 AM
Johnny,
Is there any info supplied with the Dennis Edwards track that you're playing ? The intro sounded very Invictus-like....
Carole...the only information is that it was identified as a Contours unreleased track on the site I found it.
That intro was created by me...the source had the beginning cut off...

midnight johnny
12-12-2012, 07:51 AM
Did the Up The Laddr To The Roof and Stoned Love question get answered if so what was it?

Rod.....yes to "Up the Ladder...."..."Stoned Love" wasn't asked...will do next week.

midnight johnny
12-12-2012, 07:55 AM
Fascinating interview John. Very cool.:cool:

Joseph...thank you!!!

midnight johnny
12-12-2012, 07:57 AM
I was sure it was The Supremes on Barbara's "Fancy Passes", too! Live and learn.:)

Joe...I KNOW! I was totally fooled!

midnight johnny
12-12-2012, 08:03 AM
Hello MJ and Louvain. I'm here from the ATL. Joined while you were playing "Fancy Passes". Enjoying myself very much. Always when listening to MOTOWN :cool:

Tyrone
Tyrone....glad you were able to listen and sorry I didn't get a shout out to you earlier than I did. Do come back next week and I'll try to be better!

midnight johnny
12-12-2012, 08:07 AM
Was the studio United Sound Studio

Crying TIme is surely not a Detroit Hitsville Recording. Ask Louvain point blank if that is the Andantes on Crying TIme - I doubt it. More likely Edna Wright, Patrice Holloway and others
John...now what i understand from "those in the KNOW", is that some of those west coast tracks were sent back
to Detroit for completion...over dubs, background, etc....sooooooooo. And if we never had heard that Edna Wright
was on a Motown backing track...and I know I have NEVER heard that....you've been holding out on us!

midnight johnny
12-12-2012, 08:09 AM
John

Come Round Here [[I'm The One You Need)

I bet you're right!!!

midnight johnny
12-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Thanks for asking my question regarding Louvain relationship with Claudette.

Glad you were able to get to listen, Rod!

midnight johnny
12-12-2012, 08:11 AM
Baby I'm for Real or God Bless Whoever Sent You - songs by the Originals

Thanks Ryon...I had a momentary mind melt!

midnight johnny
12-12-2012, 08:12 AM
Tommy Good Baby I Miss You. She's A Living Doll...

John...I know....I was going to sneak in "I Gotta Get Away"...so gorgeous....but I wanted to give him more time next week.

midnight johnny
12-12-2012, 08:14 AM
Oh, what a night!
Louvain was just charming.
And the conversation with her was charmed.
I was completely enthralled.
Thank you so much, John.
I can't wait for next week's concluding part.
And thanks so much for getting to my questions.

Thank you Bruce....and thanks for your questions!

midnight johnny
12-12-2012, 08:16 AM
Thank you John for a great show. can hardly wait for next Tuesday. Have a great week :)
Thanks so much Tony...and you have a great week too!!!

midnight johnny
12-12-2012, 08:17 AM
Thanks for a great show.

Thanks for coming Steve!!!

midnight johnny
12-12-2012, 08:20 AM
John, that was a great remix of Up The Ladder To The Roof. Is It on youtube?

Thanks Rod!! I won't be putting the remix on youtube...but glad you liked it!

midnight johnny
12-12-2012, 08:22 AM
John;
An absolutely riveting radio program with your guest this evening, Louvain Demps. The Andantes were surely one of the best kept secret musical weapons at Motown during it's hit making heyday. They had the voices that any other record company would have gladly had on their roster, if Berry Gordy hadn't kept us all in the dark for so long. I really hope that their talent can be officially recognized in the near future. Thank you for your foresight to make this interview happen and I look forward to hearing even more "secrets from the snakepit."

Mark....thanks so much....so glad you could be part of it!!!

midnight johnny
12-12-2012, 08:26 AM
I hope I can say for all of us 'Nightflighters' that last night's show was EXCEPTIONAL! How great that Louvain stayed for over 2 hours. Boy, I'd LOVE to take her to breakfast/lunch/dinner tho one day wouldn't be enough for me. I've got so many questions. She sounds like a really nice lady - completely 'Diva-free' and yet SHE sang on more tracks than any other individual Motown star. She deserves credit for that. Long overdue. I'm really looking forward to next Tuesday's show. RIGHT ON! Steve.

Steve...thanks so much!!! Glad you were able to stay to the bitter end.....come back next week!!

midnight johnny
12-12-2012, 08:33 AM
Folks....thanks so much for your enthusiasm, your questions and your interest!!! I wanted to follow up this morning on some of your thoughts...it was hard to do last night. Sorry I couldn't get to everything that you pitched to me, but I will do better next week! Last night was a special show for me...and I appreciate that it was important to you all too.
I hope I was able to address topics of interest with Louvain that answered some of the questions you had.
Thanks for your participation....I couldn't do it without you....
And to Louvain....thank you...

jobeterob
12-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Could someone give us a few of the highlights of the conversation.

Due to the season and the timing, I didn't get to listen.

If there is a podcast like there has occasionally been in the past, please post.

skooldem1
12-12-2012, 12:24 PM
I caught the part about "Stop in the name of Love". She was reluctant to speak about being on that song because people get upset, and their feelings get hurt. It's kind of sad that she cant totally discuss things like that. She said some people can't take the truth. But if you read between the lines of what she said, yes she was on "Stop in the name of love".

midnight johnny
12-12-2012, 12:57 PM
I caught the part about "Stop in the name of Love". She was reluctant to speak about being on that song because people get upset, and their feelings get hurt. It's kind of sad that she cant totally discuss things like that. She said some people can't take the truth. But if you read between the lines of what she said, yes she was on "Stop in the name of love".

I'll try to clarify that issue further. Louvain WAS hesitant about the issue of who is singing what where because of how people do get upset [[and we certainly know that to be true from many of the threads on SDF)...but she was open about the Andantes singing on the backing track of "Stop!....", "You Can't Hurry Love" and "Love Is Here...",
as well as "Reflections". I thought she was open about it, and you didn't need to read between lines.
But Rob...we're going to move a little faster to get this podcast up sooner [[a week or so, I hope), and Louvain will be on "Nightflight" next week too.

midnight johnny
12-12-2012, 12:59 PM

I'll try to clarify that issue further. Louvain WAS hesitant about the issue of who is singing what where because of how people do get upset [[and we certainly know that to be true from many of the threads on SDF)...but she was open about the Andantes singing on the backing track of "Stop!....", "You Can't Hurry Love" and "Love Is Here...",
as well as "Reflections". I thought she was open about it, and you didn't need to read between any lines.
But Rob...we're going to move a little faster to get this podcast up sooner [[a week or so, I hope) so you will be able to make your own determination [[like a good lawyer would) , and Louvain will be on "Nightflight" next week too.

jboy88
12-12-2012, 01:29 PM
I think she handled the issue with the Supremes recordings well. It's obvious that a majority of the time, they were unaware of what the producers were mixing the vocal tracks. but in the end, it was Mary and Flo getting paid. But who would of guessed that when Diana adressed "Chico" on the Children's Christmas song, she was referring to Chico Edwards.

jobeterob
12-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Thanks guys for the update.

REALLY pleased to hear about the podcast potential.

For Motown fans, these details are just the icing on the cake ~ to know the intricacies of what happened. The public doesn't really care.

And it takes nothing away from Mary, Flo and Cindy. They were out there with Diana doing all the hits. And as we've heard Diana say "every time they honor me, they honor the whole Motown Family".

Methuselah2
12-13-2012, 03:16 PM
I can't seem to get this past Tuesday's show out of my mind. Hearing Louvain and you in such an open, honest conversation--you, such an informed and ardent admirer--was a feast to savor and digest. Listening to Louvain speak was a real joy--her speaking voice is just as musical as her singing. I heard music from beginning to end. But it was also her remarkable temperament and viewpoint and history that came through the entire show. And combined with yours, John, it was a love match. And the audience won.

Motown, the company, was awash in creativity and talent. And that of The Andantes was always in the mix. As it's often been said, working there was fun. It was exciting. It was new and developing. But Louvain's balance in speaking about it reminded me it was also work, long hard work--a business, just like any business--where decisions are made for business purposes first and foremost. She was in a unique position and she cultivated a perspective that I found just as special. It was an enthralling and enlightening NIGHTFLIGHT. And for me, the evening's real revelation was . . . Louvain herself.

And she's being held over for a second week!
That's so 'andante'.

Oh, NIGHTFLIGHT. You always make the best decisions.

franjoy56
12-13-2012, 11:54 PM
Thanks guys for the update.

REALLY pleased to hear about the podcast potential.

For Motown fans, these details are just the icing on the cake ~ to know the intricacies of what happened. The public doesn't really care.

And it takes nothing away from Mary, Flo and Cindy. They were out there with Diana doing all the hits. And as we've heard Diana say "every time they honor me, they honor the whole Motown Family".

and doing most of the singing in the studio in front of the A's [[The Supremes) Mary Flo, are represented on every single vocally except You Can't Hurry Love,[[ through Reflections) where it is stated that Flo was replaced by Marlene, and where it was assumed Marlene replaced Flo on Mwiewu it is now discovered that it was indeed Mary and Flo.
Up the ladder to the Roof, clearly is Mary and Cindy with Jean it is possible the A's added some sweetening behind them. I hope we can get a chance to hear the podcast so we can judge for ourselves what was said. I heard a tape from 2008 on Inside the Actors Studio where Diana said [[Mary and Flo was responsible for the harmonies)

midnight johnny
12-14-2012, 08:19 AM
I can't seem to get this past Tuesday's show out of my mind. Hearing Louvain and you in such an open, honest conversation--you, such an informed and ardent admirer--was a feast to savor and digest. Listening to Louvain speak was a real joy--her speaking voice is just as musical as her singing. I heard music from beginning to end. But it was also her remarkable temperament and viewpoint and history that came through the entire show. And combined with yours, John, it was a love match. And the audience won.

Motown, the company, was awash in creativity and talent. And that of The Andantes was always in the mix. As it's often been said, working there was fun. It was exciting. It was new and developing. But Louvain's balance in speaking about it reminded me it was also work, long hard work--a business, just like any business--where decisions are made for business purposes first and foremost. She was in a unique position and she cultivated a perspective that I found just as special. It was an enthralling and enlightening NIGHTFLIGHT. And for me, the evening's real revelation was . . . Louvain herself.

And she's being held over for a second week!
That's so 'andante'.

Oh, NIGHTFLIGHT. You always make the best decisions.

Bruce...thank you...I appreciate it....

R. Mark Desjardins
12-17-2012, 10:18 PM
John,
Are you still going to post the interview with Louvain Demps as a podcast? I understand that there is a lot of editing work to do to remove the musical segments to make it a "spoken word podcast." This was a milestone radio program!

midnight johnny
12-18-2012, 01:51 AM
John,
Are you still going to post the interview with Louvain Demps as a podcast? I understand that there is a lot of editing work to do to remove the musical segments to make it a "spoken word podcast." This was a milestone radio program!

Mark....yes.....the Louvain show Part 1 should be going up soon...I'd say within a week [[I hope).
And Louvain will be back tomorrow [[12/18) for part 2....I'll put up a new promo in the morning!
Thanks! So glad you enjoyed the show!
John